Selles In

590 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Selles In

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 Oct 2023 11:48

It's a tough gig for Selles and I don't think he will be with us in the long-term. Either results will be dire enough for him to get sacked at some point this season or the ownership will change hands and, as the cliche goes, sometimes there is a change in manager unfortunately. I'm hoping the latter isn't the case if Selles is continuing to build with us and we can see some development over the next few games. Obviously results to get us out of the bottom 4 is the absolute priority on the field.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Oct 2023 12:14

I think I'm right in saying so far we've won every game we've taken the lead in. And we've won one from behind.

We have a young inexperienced squad and our fit strike force couldn't muster 10 professional starts between them before the season started. So we struggle a little to take chances and then if the other team gets ahead it's a problem.

Score some early goals and we'll get some wins.

The Exeter game doesn't really count as it was their reserves vs our reserves and ours are more experienced than theirs (reverse is firmly true for first team fixtures) and used to a higher standard.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Oct 2023 22:02

Dear Reuben. You're in League One. Things are going shit. You have a very inexperienced squad.

It might help a teensy bit, if you asked your players to play in the positions where they have the most experience. And play a really simple percentages based formation and tactics, minimising risk, and maximising reward.

Rather than the screaming clusterfuck of omnishambles bullshit you are currently serving up.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 03 Oct 2023 22:32

Sounds like he is heavily reliant on sports science analysts - perhaps the old fashioned "using your own eyes" would work better? And finding out where players should play by looking on Football Manager like all good managers do.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 04 Oct 2023 00:16

Snowflake Royal Dear Reuben. You're in League One. Things are going shit. You have a very inexperienced squad.

It might help a teensy bit, if you asked your players to play in the positions where they have the most experience. And play a really simple percentages based formation and tactics, minimising risk, and maximising reward.

Rather than the screaming clusterfuck of omnishambles bullshit you are currently serving up.

This type of negativity isn’t helping

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 04 Oct 2023 00:50

Has he always been a shit troll? ^^

Only really noticed recently.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Oct 2023 07:12

SouthDownsRoyal
Snowflake Royal Dear Reuben. You're in League One. Things are going shit. You have a very inexperienced squad.

You're really hurt that your unhelpful trolling got called out aren't you. Grow up a bit SDR.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Oct 2023 07:19

Stranded
Millsy Not enough games played to judge the lad fairly, even if some of us think we know where this is going to end up.

On that basis and nothing else, Selles IN.

I think we all know he is going to get sacked at some point because the vast majority of managers do - I think the only differing view on that will be the timelines to when that sacking will be.

New regime needed first to stabilise the club otherwise the only managers the club will get are yet more of the same failures "before they even start" that they've been employing for much of the last 6 years.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Oct 2023 08:57

Who is actually playing out of position? Binden - yes but we know nothing of him, he could have spent his entire youth career at RB.

It’s hardly unheard of to play a CB at RB. Holmes is a great example of someone who did the job well there. Who else?

And you suggested Rushesha at LB which to me seems as ridiculous as anything Selles has considered

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 04 Oct 2023 09:10

Hound

Who is actually playing out of position? Binden - yes but we know nothing of him, he could have spent his entire youth career at RB.

It’s hardly unheard of to play a CB at RB. Holmes is a great example of someone who did the job well there. Who else?

And you suggested Rushesha at LB which to me seems as ridiculous as anything Selles has considered

The big issue is the formation. Playing one CB at RB is hardly a team out of position.

I get there could be an alternative narrative that yesterday we had a few chances and conceded due to a poor GK display from Button who has largely been a good signing. I don't buy it. They overran us for the 1st half as we have seen in several away games and it could have been more. We made chances when chasing the game; how about setting up so we don't have to chase the game?

Moments go for and against us away from home - see the Abbey penalty appeal at 1-0 which went our way. We remember the moments that go against us as "key", with the implication being that we just need to start winning those key moments. That's not true.

5-3-2 seems like a good fit for this team. Allows Binden and McIntyre to play out from CB, makes space for Elliott in the middle where he can have more impact and provides support for Carson/NGW in their defensive duties where they both struggle. It seems like a clear answer to me, at least away from home. Can Selles learn?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Oct 2023 09:40

Hound

Rushesha spent his youth days at RB, or so we've been told. Not all RBs can play LB, but an energetic player like Rushesha who has moved into DM should be able to. My first choice is obviously NGW, second the injured McIntyre.

Options at LB are approaching zero. Options at RB are numerous.

Holmes wasn't asked to play what is essentially RWB in a back 4. Holmes looked pretty comfortable there. Bindon is being asked to do that, and looks completely lost when we are in possession.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 04 Oct 2023 09:46

Snowflake Royal
SouthDownsRoyal

You're really hurt that your unhelpful trolling got called out aren't you. Grow up a bit SDR.

I’m not hurt nor was I trolling :lol:

I just find it ironic you got so upset at my posts being negative about Selles and since then all you’ve done is give the guy a kick in.

Are you Selles in or out?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Oct 2023 09:47

WestYorksRoyal
Hound

The big issue is the formation. Playing one CB at RB is hardly a team out of position.

I get there could be an alternative narrative that yesterday we had a few chances and conceded due to a poor GK display from Button who has largely been a good signing. I don't buy it. They overran us for the 1st half as we have seen in several away games and it could have been more. We made chances when chasing the game; how about setting up so we don't have to chase the game?

Moments go for and against us away from home - see the Abbey penalty appeal at 1-0 which went our way. We remember the moments that go against us as "key", with the implication being that we just need to start winning those key moments. That's not true.

5-3-2 seems like a good fit for this team. Allows Binden and McIntyre to play out from CB, makes space for Elliott in the middle where he can have more impact and provides support for Carson/NGW in their defensive duties where they both struggle. It seems like a clear answer to me, at least away from home. Can Selles learn?

The goal keeping howlers were also a distraction from the failures that led to them.

Goal 1.
Turnover, Bindon is high up the pitch and can't recover, Dean is too slow to get out to cover, so stays in no mans land, no one has tracked the runner inside, Dean goes to him late and gets beaten.

Goal 2
Carson comfortably gets to the ball, then dithers on it scared of holding off his man. Gets bullied off it and it's havok.

We're getting crucified at fullback continuously because Selles picks the wrong players, isolates them and pushes them too high to provide the width his attackers could give if he didn't want them all playing in each others pocket within a 20 yard box.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 Oct 2023 09:50

WestYorksRoyal
Hound

Yeah I think 5-3-2 is a good system for us, mainly because we have a good selection of CB's to pick from and it can make us far more sturdy in the middle of the park, but it's how we play. We play very open, so we are always going to be easier to breakthrough based on that and teams can overload the middle of the pitch.

We don't really have a CF who works back to drop in as a 10 and can do it effectively out of possession. Knibbs and Azeez aren't disciplined enough to work back in and sit narrower out of possession either.

Fezza

by Fezza » 04 Oct 2023 09:59

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal
Hound

The goal keeping howlers were also a distraction from the failures that led to them.

Goal 1.
Turnover, Bindon is high up the pitch and can't recover, Dean is too slow to get out to cover, so stays in no mans land, no one has tracked the runner inside, Dean goes to him late and gets beaten.

Goal 2
Carson comfortably gets to the ball, then dithers on it scared of holding off his man. Gets bullied off it and it's havok.

We're getting crucified at fullback continuously because Selles picks the wrong players, isolates them and pushes them too high to provide the width his attackers could give if he didn't want them all playing in each others pocket within a 20 yard box.

Goal 2 was the result of an exceptionally poor cross into the box (Azeez?), which failed to beat the first man and left our defence over committed in attack.

Would agree that Holmes at RB and one of Nesta or TMac at LB would firm us up.

All too often we hoofed the ball forward, missing out Wing who was good.

Mola, Azeez and Mukairo are very very poor.

Relegation looks a certainty, even without the points deductions and shambles at the top.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 04 Oct 2023 10:03

The hope is that resolving off field uncertainty can provide a shot in the arm on it. At the moment players are uncertainty of payday, away day accompanied, possible points deductions. It will definitely impact them and I think is part of why we're so poor particularly away from home.

From what we've seen on the pitch so far relegation looks likely, but there is time for that to change. That has to be the hope.

Dulwich Royal

by Dulwich Royal » 04 Oct 2023 11:25

A competent manager should be able to organise a reasonably solid League 1 back 4 from who we have, with Holmes and NGW added.
Same for a front 2 or 3, with Smith added.
The problem is there is no centre midfield box to box engine room to link the two together.
Savage and Knibbs dont look up to it, Elliott looks a good footballer but is a bit lightweight.
Hutch, altho I like him, is past his best. Wing OK but not really box to box.
Not seen enough of Camara to judge, could Mbengue or Rushesha do a job in there ?

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 07 Oct 2023 19:51

The way I see it, we’re probably the least tempting job for a manager in the entire professional game in the UK.

So any new manager will be as shit as Selles. But Selles met with fans in the Turtle. A new manager might not.

Therefore: Selles In!

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 11 Nov 2023 15:32

Two nil up away from home, heading for an away win

SELLES IN

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 11 Nov 2023 16:06