21:18 Updates on the Training Ground
22:06 Communication with the Club
23:36 Relationship with the Fans
25:33 Protests and Fan Reactions
27:04 Future as Reading Manager
28:07 Commitment to the Club
29:05 Appreciation and Conclusion

Who is the host?

Some kid I've never heard of before, really strange how a relatively unknown guy was able to get an interview with a League One manager.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Selles In

by SouthDownsRoyal » 22 Mar 2024 16:36

tidus_mi2
SouthDownsRoyal
morganb Interview just appeared on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJrc1s_hzSc

Subjects covered:

00:00 Introduction and Well-being
00:38 Atmosphere within the Club
02:21 Changes in Performance
04:04 Late Joining and Recruitment Challenges
05:29 Attraction to the Football Club
07:04 Negotiations and Promises
08:07 Communication with the Owner
08:43 Involvement in Recruitment
09:51 Playing Style and Philosophy
10:34 Influence of Ralph Hasenhüttl
11:13 Role at Southampton and Departure
12:54 Managing Challenges and Chaos
15:24 Impact on Players' Mental Health
16:09 Dealing with Media Attention
18:21 Motivating the Team
20:53 Role as Coach and Manager

Who is the host?

Some kid I've never heard of before, really strange how a relatively unknown guy was able to get an interview with a League One manager.

This was what I though too.

Kid must have sway, maybe he could ring dai up and persuade him to sell

He’s had a few well known people on his YouTube interviews I see

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Mar 2024 17:02

SouthDownsRoyal
tidus_mi2
SouthDownsRoyal
Who is the host?

This was what I though too.

Kid must have sway, maybe he could ring dai up and persuade him to sell

He’s had a few well known people on his YouTube interviews I see

He's no Craig Beasley.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 23 Mar 2024 12:40

Subjects covered:

Does he mention this ‘Selles In’ thread at any point?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 23 Mar 2024 13:09

St Pauli

Subjects covered:

Does he mention this ‘Selles In’ thread at any point?

Does he mention hobnob at all? Would be interesting to know what Selles’ username is

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 23 Mar 2024 22:13

Great article in the Times today

https://archive.ph/dpUDl

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 24 Mar 2024 07:09

maffff Great article in the Times today

https://archive.ph/dpUDl

Just WOW !

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 24 Mar 2024 08:18

Excellent.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 24 Mar 2024 09:16

Great stuff.

I do worry that we are not as far from the relegation places as the article suggests, especially with any more points deductions. But the article gives me confidence we can survive on merit. I was at the Cambridge game, it was very impressive.

OTOH if we do survive, the thousands of disgraceful anti-Selles posts from before Xmas need to be highlighted.

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 24 Mar 2024 09:20

LUX Great stuff.

I do worry that we are not as far from the relegation places as the article suggests, especially with any more points deductions. But the article gives me confidence we can survive on merit. I was at the Cambridge game, it was very impressive.

OTOH if we do survive, the thousands of disgraceful anti-Selles posts from before Xmas need to be highlighted.

Games in hand at the bottom of the table are much less of an issue tbf

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 24 Mar 2024 09:44

LUX Great stuff.

Any manager that had the results that Selles did at the start of the season would be under immense pressure and be facing deserved criticism. Especially one with zero track record of success. Sure, he was dealing with an 'impossible' situation that wasn't his fault - but managers ultimately carry the can. In any 'normal' scenario he'd have been sacked in November and few people here would have thought it was the wrong decision.

Thankfully though we didn't have that option and he's more than risen to the occasion. It's one of the few gambles that we've made that has actually paid off.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Mar 2024 10:05

Elm Park Kid
LUX Great stuff.

Any manager that had the results that Selles did at the start of the season would be under immense pressure and be facing deserved criticism. Especially one with zero track record of success. Sure, he was dealing with an 'impossible' situation that wasn't his fault - but managers ultimately carry the can. In any 'normal' scenario he'd have been sacked in November and few people here would have thought it was the wrong decision.

Thankfully though we didn't have that option and he's more than risen to the occasion. It's one of the few gambles that we've made that has actually paid off.

Due to the off field circumstances he survived a period that would normally see any manager sacked, he's now built up "enough in the bank" to be given a chance to complete the project into the new season. Whether, of course, any new owners take the same point of view remains to be seen.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 24 Mar 2024 11:11

Maybe not one of our best managers but there's not many I respect more than him for the job he's done here.

It wouldn't suprise me if he goes on to become a very successful manager.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Mar 2024 12:06

Elm Park Kid
LUX Great stuff.

If it wasn't for the (deserved) criticism, we might still be playing the only way he knew how in that dreadful 4-2-2-2 and cut adrift in the relegation slots.

Likewise, if he'd played a sensible shape from the start and not completely ditched Holmes, we might be safe in midtable already.

It's worked out ok in the end, and he's somewhat lucky Dai couldn’t give two shits so he's had long enough to learn and rectify mistakes. Which he wouldn't have been afford anywhere else.

And he'd have struggled to find another job with a 50%+ loss rate over two clubs.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 24 Mar 2024 12:19

Snowflake Royal
Elm Park Kid
LUX Great stuff.

If it wasn't for the (deserved) criticism, we might still be playing the only way he knew how in that dreadful 4-2-2-2 and cut adrift in the relegation slots.

Likewise, if he'd played a sensible shape from the start and not completely ditched Holmes, we might be safe in midtable already.

It's worked out ok in the end, and he's somewhat lucky Dai couldn’t give two shits so he's had long enough to learn and rectify mistakes. Which he wouldn't have been afford anywhere else.

And he'd have struggled to find another job with a 50%+ loss rate over two clubs.

Somehow I don't have Selles (or indeed many other managers) down as the type of individual who would change tactics simply because the fans were criticising him. He was new in the job, didn't really get a squad until the season had kicked off, was missing his key number 9 for a long period and, like most people, took time to settle into his new role. Yes, in normal circumstances and/or under other owners he would probably have been sacked but there again, if it was normal circumstances he would have faced far less challenges to deal with in the first place.

One good thing about the Wilf brothers, if they end up buying the club, is that they apparently believe in giving their managers time in the job and won't fire at the first signs of difficulties.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 Mar 2024 12:34

Snowflake Royal
Elm Park Kid
LUX Great stuff.

The switch was key, and Selles and Oliver Pearce have both explained it recently. The press under it was effective, but teams were perfectly happy just to go over it and scrap for the 2nd ball in the middle where we didn't have the bodies. Anybody familiar with L1 would have seen that coming, but fair play he learned and fixed it.

I think the point about him needing to succeed here is really important. A manager like Wilder with achievements on their CV already would have walked in the situation. But after he started badly, Selles needed to turn it around for the sake of his own career. He sounds committed longer term in his interview, but if a takeover doesn't happen it won't take much to turn his head. I think he's assuming it will and not contemplating what it means if it doesn't.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Mar 2024 12:46

Imagine, next season, Reading v Wrexham. If Wrexham win out imagine the amount of tedious posts on this board from a certain quarter.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Mar 2024 13:02

RoyalBlue
Snowflake Royal
Elm Park Kid

Somehow I don't have Selles (or indeed many other managers) down as the type of individual who would change tactics simply because the fans were criticising him. He was new in the job, didn't really get a squad until the season had kicked off, was missing his key number 9 for a long period and, like most people, took time to settle into his new role. Yes, in normal circumstances and/or under other owners he would probably have been sacked but there again, if it was normal circumstances he would have faced far less challenges to deal with in the first place.

One good thing about the Wilf brothers, if they end up buying the club, is that they apparently believe in giving their managers time in the job and won't fire at the first signs of difficulties.

I think we could all see what the problems were, and talked about them at length. And it wasn't just beating the press by going over it.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 25 Mar 2024 09:09

LUX Great stuff.

Got my eye on that already - some absolute humdingers in there.

590 posts