Selles In

590 posts
St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Selles In

by St Pauli » 26 Nov 2023 20:26

WestYorksRoyal I'm not going to change my mind to Selles In based upon one result yesterday. But I'm interested to know what it would take for people to start changing their opinion. We have 3 home games coming up - 6 points or more and I think I'd be firmly of the view that he has earned more time (noting that we'd probably still be in the drop zone).

Thanks for bumping this WYR.

I think on the basis of yesterday’s result we can confirm that he is a great manager and will lead us on to better things. Probably back to back promotions and established mid league status in the PL.

People will look back at the first half of this season as the very steep learning curve of a great new manager and a young hungry squad.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 26 Nov 2023 20:27

Millsy Who remembers Terry the Taxi and his 4-0 win. Oh how some thought he'd turned a corner. Yeah.. in a taxi.

No manager loses 46 straight games and even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

We know the guy is trash. Yeah he might be learning how to be less trash here and there (more likely just natural variation and luck tbh though) but come on fellas get real.

Can't wait to see the back of this tosser.

Depends if it’s analogue or digital.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Nov 2023 22:01

Good managers don’t lose 22 of their first 41 games.

He's not going to recover this.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Nov 2023 07:38

Snowflake Royal Good managers don’t lose 22 of their first 41 games.

Of course he isn't but as a fan, you'd have to be delighted if he did.

There is a part of me that hopes he does as he seems like a decent bloke but it needs to start now and I'm not sure I see it even if overall form has picked up in the last 5 (league and cup).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Nov 2023 08:06

Stranded

There is a part of me that hopes he does as he seems like a decent bloke but it needs to start now and I'm not sure I see it even if overall form has picked up in the last 5 (league and cup).

No thanks, I'll not waste any emotional energy hoping someone who is dreadful and doomed the moment the ownership situation is sorted turns things around to stay in long term.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 27 Nov 2023 08:16

Snowflake Royal
Stranded

No thanks, I'll not waste any emotional energy hoping someone who is dreadful and doomed the moment the ownership situation is sorted turns things around to stay in long term.

Won't waste your emotional energy hoping the team starts winning is what this basically means.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Nov 2023 08:32

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

Won't waste your emotional energy hoping the team starts winning is what this basically means.

Well quite - that was essentially the point. If the team start winning regularly, which is still unlikely, then that can only be a good thing. I doubt it would even be enough to save his job unless the takeover is still 2 or 3 months away and we go on a run akin to promotion form and get out of and pull away from the relegation zone. Even then, the new guy may want a new man in.

Of course, we will still be constrained by the EFL budget we have to work to this year so he may stick around until the summer regardless.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 27 Nov 2023 08:58

We're speculating on the ownership timeline, and whether a potential owner will put money in and make a decision at the agreement/exclusivity point. If they do, Selles may have less than a fortnight.

But if we're waiting until completion, Selles has the best part of 2 months. If he has us out of the drop zone by then, that will be a significant improvement and worthy of more time.

And of course I want us out of the drop zone.
Last edited by WestYorksRoyal on 27 Nov 2023 09:06, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Nov 2023 09:01

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

No, I'll hope he flukes enough points to keep us just about in touch and then oxf*rd off asap.

The only reason he's still here is because no one with the authority to sack him gives a shit.

The rest of you can dreamof cloud cuckoo land and a winning syreak under him so he can be shit again next season if you like. No ta.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 27 Nov 2023 09:13

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal No thanks, I'll not waste any emotional energy hoping someone who is dreadful and doomed the moment the ownership situation is sorted turns things around to stay in long term.

No, I'll hope he flukes enough points to keep us just about in touch and then oxf*rd off asap.

The only reason he's still here is because no one with the authority to sack him gives a shit.

The rest of you can dreamof cloud cuckoo land and a winning syreak under him so he can be shit again next season if you like. No ta.

This is nonsense. You judge managers by results. He's currently got a woeful record and is judged accordingly. But if he puts together a run over 8 games or so, that's too much to be a fluke. Unless you're Paunovic where apparently his start with us didn't count.

Our next run of games from now until the end of the festive period is Carlisle (H), Barnsley (H), Oxford (H), Lincoln (A), Wigan (H), P'boro (A), Cheltenham (A), Exeter (H).

12 - 15 points from those 8 games would not be a fluke, would have us close to safety and would represent enough progress to give him more time. In fact it would show extraordinary resilience given his tenure so far.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Nov 2023 09:14

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal Won't waste your emotional energy hoping the team starts winning is what this basically means.

This is nonsense. You judge managers by results. He's currently got a woeful record and is judged accordingly. But if he puts together a run over 8 games or so, that's too much to be a fluke. Unless you're Paunovic where apparently his start with us didn't count.

Our next run of games from now until the end of the festive period is Carlisle (H), Barnsley (H), Oxford (H), Lincoln (A), Wigan (H), P'boro (A), Cheltenham (A), Exeter (H).

12 - 15 points from those 8 games would not be a fluke, would have us close to safety and would represent enough progress to give him more time. In fact it would show extraordinary resilience given his tenure so far.

Say hi to the hephalumps and woozles for me.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Nov 2023 09:18

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal No thanks, I'll not waste any emotional energy hoping someone who is dreadful and doomed the moment the ownership situation is sorted turns things around to stay in long term.

Just out of interest, why don't you want him to be successful? Because you don't like him personally or?

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 27 Nov 2023 09:21

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal Won't waste your emotional energy hoping the team starts winning is what this basically means.

Just out of interest, why don't you want him to be successful? Because you don't like him personally or?

Maybe Snowflake doesn't like the way Selles has treated Ejaria.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 27 Nov 2023 09:30

If Selles proves Ian wrong Ian would have to admit he was wrong, so for that reason alone he wants us to keep losing I guess

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Nov 2023 09:31

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal No, I'll hope he flukes enough points to keep us just about in touch and then oxf*rd off asap.

Say hi to the hephalumps and woozles for me.

Admire your resiliance to completely and continually missing the point. Good Work.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 27 Nov 2023 09:35

Manager actually does what he is paid to do and actually wins an away game = Selles in!
Surely nothing much has changed...

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 27 Nov 2023 09:37

What's uncontroversial is that he's on borrowed time. At a normal club, he would have gone after Fleetwood. The club's situation has made it a tough job but also kept him in a job. He's got a chance he barely deserves, but as long as he's here I want him to win. And if he is a success, we'll look back and just say it was fate of circumstance.

I won't be saying "I told you so" to anyone given I think he should have gone a month ago. But if we string together a useful run between now and Christmas, I will be saying it to those too stubborn to countenance changing their mind.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 27 Nov 2023 10:20

If Selles turns it around, great, if it's good for the club I don't care how it's achieved and when things are going well, his style of football is definitely enjoyable to watch.

That said, I won't be shedding a tear right now if the takeover happens and he's replaced.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 27 Nov 2023 10:22

I don't see a change until we get new owners, If by then hes' turned our fortunes around and we're in good form picking up good points then I would think it would make sense to stick with him for the rest of the season, or at least not rush to replace him.

Someone recently said they asked Steve Coppell what makes a good manager, He said good players. He was being a bit modest in my opinion as a good manager has to know a good player when he sees one and get the best out of them, but clearly Selles would do better if he had better players available... but is he getting the best out of the ones he has available and can he spot a good player? - I have my doubts.

Will leave Ejaria out of the equation as I don't know what that's all about, although I'm sure a real people manager in the style of Harry Redknapp would have sorted him out and got him playing by now if it is an attitude issue.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Nov 2023 11:08

tidus_mi2 If Selles turns it around, great, if it's good for the club I don't care how it's achieved and when things are going well, his style of football is definitely enjoyable to watch.

That said, I won't be shedding a tear right now if the takeover happens and he's replaced.

This is exactly the point and probably put the view across better than I did.

590 posts