Selles In

590 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Selles In

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Feb 2024 10:46

To be fair, I think it can be hard to separate the difference between rating the quality of an appointment as good or bad, and the likelihood of the success for that appointment, with the actual performance once in post.

You can have terrible appointments you'd expect to fail turn out to succeed against the odds. And vice versa.

And Selles compounded the former with a pretty spectacularly bad start in the latter, which included some very poor management decisions.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 Feb 2024 11:23

Snowflake Royal To be fair, I think it can be hard to separate the difference between rating the quality of an appointment as good or bad, and the likelihood of the success for that appointment, with the actual performance once in post.

You can have terrible appointments you'd expect to fail turn out to succeed against the odds. And vice versa.

And Selles compounded the former with a pretty spectacularly bad start in the latter, which included some very poor management decisions.

Yeah you'll never know how good someone will/won't be until they are actually in position. As with Selles, it's a poor start that has been resurrected into a significant turnaround. As a lot have mentioned, he may not have got the time had the situation at the club been different, but affording him the time, in this scenario, seems to be working out in our favour at the moment.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 09 Feb 2024 11:42

SCIAG Middle ground, no expectations, open to good things but alert to bad ones.

People thought Stam would be a disaster and he had us penalties away from promotion.

So I don’t get believer points :(

Did think it was stupid that people were judging him based on Southampton.

If anything I’m less positive about Selles now than I was at appointment - if you showed me the league table in the summer (even with the points deduction) I’d have said Selles had failed.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 Feb 2024 17:04

What a man, bloody handsome too.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Feb 2024 18:13

Our football is pretty bloody simple isn’t it? That’s not to do down the turn around but it’s whack it down the channels/up to Smith who tries to get something on it to create a loose ball in their half

I don’t think we are massively different going forward from the 4-2-2-2 days - where we’ve improved massively is that DM/back 4 area where we generally look pretty solid now. Bindon is excellent. To think 4 of the 5 defensive players are 21(?) or less is pretty impressive

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Feb 2024 18:17

Hound Our football is pretty bloody simple isn’t it? That’s not to do down the turn around but it’s whack it down the channels/up to Smith who tries to get something on it to create a loose ball in their half

I don’t think we are massively different going forward from the 4-2-2-2 days - where we’ve improved massively is that DM/back 4 area where we generally look pretty solid now. Bindon is excellent. To think 4 of the 5 defensive players are 21(?) or less is pretty impressive

It's that and break quick down the flanks with Azeez or Mukairu/Ehibhatiomhan

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 10 Feb 2024 19:17

The Midas touch.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 10 Feb 2024 19:21

Last time we went one defeat in 12 was during Brian's promotion run 12 years ago.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 10 Feb 2024 19:27

Pepe the Horseman
Brogue
LightwaterRoyal
What would you care to know in particular?

How one becomes a reading fan having never lived here I suppose.

How far is Valencia from wherever Franchise has just moved to? Would be nice if they could watch games together.

150km is my guess

Checked … it’s 250km

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 10 Feb 2024 20:28

One sign of a well drilled team is how fringe players can fit in seamlessly as everyone knows their role. We saw it with players like Chris Makin and Hayden Mullins in our promotion seasons.

We're seeing it now too. Mbengue, Mola, Savage and Ehibhatiomhan have come in, know their role and are doing a good job. Certainly you'd have been laughed out of the room a couple of months ago if you suggested that backline would keep consecutive clean sheets.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 10 Feb 2024 20:42

WestYorksRoyal One sign of a well drilled team is how fringe players can fit in seamlessly as everyone knows their role. We saw it with players like Chris Makin and Hayden Mullins in our promotion seasons.

We're seeing it now too. Mbengue, Mola, Savage and Ehibhatiomhan have come in, know their role and are doing a good job. Certainly you'd have been laughed out of the room a couple of months ago if you suggested that backline would keep consecutive clean sheets.

What you talking about Willis? I agree with the sentiment but the examples you’ve just used are hilarious. Makin and Mullins were utter dog shit :lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Feb 2024 22:57

Brogue
WestYorksRoyal One sign of a well drilled team is how fringe players can fit in seamlessly as everyone knows their role. We saw it with players like Chris Makin and Hayden Mullins in our promotion seasons.

What you talking about Willis? I agree with the sentiment but the examples you’ve just used are hilarious. Makin and Mullins were utter dog shit :lol:

Makin was solid

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Feb 2024 08:56

Snowflake Royal
Brogue

Makin was solid

And besides, referring to unspectacular players was the whole point. Mullins played away at Soton and it didn't harm us because he knew his role. It's like Hutchinson being needed now and not taking away from our level of performance.

Mola genuinely looked like an amateur football in September but he's doing a valuable job, even with a couple of woeful first touches yesterday.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 11 Feb 2024 09:00

Makin ok fair enough perhaps I was being a bit harsh but I’m not having Mullins. Sorry no. he was fcuking dogshit

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 11 Feb 2024 11:51

A “bit harsh”????

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Feb 2024 13:24

Makin came in as a cheap, experienced back up to Murty and was absolutely fine.

I wonder if Brogue is mistaking him for Chris Baird?

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 13 Feb 2024 21:46

Now three points clear of Charlton-

Well done Selles.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 21 Feb 2024 09:07

The relentless Sellles march towards automatic promotion continues.

The real question is now how do we stop Man City, Liverpool, Barcelona or Bayern snapping Selles up? Will the club and Dai have the funds to keep him?

We also need to consider whether we honour him through a statue outside the ground, or naming a stand after him, or both.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Feb 2024 09:52

St Pauli The relentless Sellles march towards automatic promotion continues.

The real question is now how do we stop Man City, Liverpool, Barcelona or Bayern snapping Selles up? Will the club and Dai have the funds to keep him?

We also need to consider whether we honour him through a statue outside the ground, or naming a stand after him, or both.

We can thank him most by making sure he's available to take over from Klopp at the end of the season. We wouldn't want misplaced loyalty to hold him back from his true calling.

Selles out.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Feb 2024 11:53

Keep it up Selles. 13th with no point deduction which is very close to our minumum requirement. (teams with games in hand, but direction of travel here is promising).

Just keep it up, my man. Noone wants you to fail.

590 posts