BFTG - Cheltenham

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Cheltenham

by Simon's Church » 16 Aug 2023 06:55

Watching these guys improve every game, does make you wonder how much of a better position we'd be in this season if Kelvin, Abbey, Camara etc had been training with the first team all last season and been given some of Dann, Long, Hoillets minutes.

Doubt there would have been a drop off in performance and they'd be that much more ready for league 1.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Aug 2023 07:19

CountryRoyal How can people be changing their tune going from “relegation is a disaster” to “now I think it’s good” based on the back off a 1 nil, ultimately laboured, home win against arguably the worst side in the division, and it was a massive own goal.

Glad to get off the mark and delighted fit the kids (and button) but one swallow does not a summer make.

One thing is evident is how much easier games are against players who don’t care (Millwall Vs limited but competitive chelt).

The bi-polar reactions of our fanbase are quite something.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 16 Aug 2023 07:41

72 bus
Royal_jimmy My honest opinion....

Thought we played nice football at times, particularly in the first half but we're looking blunt and lightweight up top. We need to work on our end product and fitness. Second half was poor and we faded again, I'm questioning whether we're fit enough to sustain this style. Hopefully with Selles being a fitness coach he'll be working on that and we are more consistent in games. Cheltenham were poor and didn't really look like scoring although Abbey and Bindon did keep their attack fairly quiet still.

We need to be patient, our youngsters will make mistakes but they'll improve in time. I'm excited to see them grow and embrace the high intensity style of play.

Don't really get the massive excitement, we beat Cheltenham from a bit of a flukey OG.. big deal, with no disrespect to Cheltenham. Pleased we're off the mark but I didn't think it was that amazing. Did just about enough to win and probably a fair scoreline. Wasnt a great game and not many chances. Can see the massive drop in quality in this league.

Can see the massive drop in quality in you're posts *

*an already low bar

Each to their own and all

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Aug 2023 07:45

Interesting times ahead. Seem through some excellent scouting and recruitment (first time for a long while) picked up some useful young talents throughout the squad. Couple of wins for the kids in the first 11 and the u23 started nicely as well

Can’t imagine anyone would have thought we’d be playing Carson, Abbey, Mbengue and Bindon at the back and they’d keep 2 clean sheets

Chuffed for Abbey. Didn’t think he looked up to it last year in all honesty but he seems to have progressed massively.

Sounds scrappy but a vital 3 points. The dips in the second half is a worry and think the team need to get used to those 5 subs coming on relatively early (which I like as a concept)

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 16 Aug 2023 07:49

Snowball I really don’t get the negativity in BFTG.

Cheltenham may be a likely relegation team but they are still experienced pros and for most of this match the Reading youngsters took them to the cleaners with 2/3 possession and limiting Cheltenham to three very tame attempts on goal.

Cheltenham hardly looked like scoring. Most of their attacks were breaks and Button was never seriously exposed.

Meanwhile Southwood had to make at least three fine saves, one from Carson at full stretch, another from Wing, a third was a fingertip save from Vickers, there was a fourth also in the corner, this time from Azeez.

I seem to remember players free in the Cheltenham box, balls flying across the area (Andy Carroll would have had a field day) and at least one nasty cross stretched Southwood.

We could easily have gone in 4-0 at HT

People say we faded in the second half, as if the boys were knackered. It looked more like they were settling for 1-0 (when I really wanted us to go for a second goal).

The subs looked defensive, and if you sit back you invite any side to have a go… but was Button troubled? Not at all.

He may have stopped a couple. One was a lame, tame shot straight to him, another was a soft header straight into his arms.

I thought this was a comprehensive win and far better than the win at Millwall where Millwall’s defence was appalling on the night.

We dealt with breaks brilliantly. These lads chase harder than any of the old hands who played at Port Vale.

They played like they’d played together (and well) for years. They won countless headers against bigger, heavier men, ran their hearts out to get back to cover. The two CBs looked untroubled. LB Carson was excellent. Mbengue OK but not as stand-out.

The midfield played some lovely stuff. I noticed Savage the most, followed by Camara. Savage is a very neat player, seems to have that extra second. He would be in my starting 11 every time

EHIBxx was a threat all night (and was getting fouled a helluva lot) and the small child also known as Vickers ran his socks off and showed shedloads of skill.

I also thought “Old Man McIntyre” (24) played very well as sub.

I don't think it's negativity, I think it's just not getting too hyped up after one win against a side who will be fighting relegation. I am feeling positive about how we won and how the youngsters composed themselves but as I said in my post they'll have some off days and we'll need to be patient :) if they can hold their own at this level then we could definitely have one hell of a team in the future if we can hold most of them.

Well done Ruben though! Happy his changes paid off

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 16 Aug 2023 07:58

parky

Cheltenham may be a likely relegation team but they are still experienced pros and for most of this match the Reading youngsters took them to the cleaners with 2/3 possession and limiting Cheltenham to three very tame attempts on goal.

Cheltenham hardly looked like scoring. Most of their attacks were breaks and Button was never seriously exposed.

Meanwhile Southwood had to make at least three fine saves, one from Carson at full stretch, another from Wing, a third was a fingertip save from Vickers, there was a fourth also in the corner, this time from Azeez.

I seem to remember players free in the Cheltenham box, balls flying across the area (Andy Carroll would have had a field day) and at least one nasty cross stretched Southwood.

People say we faded in the second half, as if the boys were knackered. It looked more like they were settling for 1-0 (when I really wanted us to go for a second goal).

The subs looked defensive, and if you sit back you invite any side to have a go… but was Button troubled? Not at all.

He may have stopped a couple. One was a lame, tame shot straight to him, another was a soft header straight into his arms.

I thought this was a comprehensive win and far better than the win at Millwall where Millwall’s defence was appalling on the night.

We dealt with breaks brilliantly. These lads chase harder than any of the old hands who played at Port Vale.

They played like they’d played together (and well) for years. They won countless headers against bigger, heavier men, ran their hearts out to get back to cover. The two CBs looked untroubled. LB Carson was excellent. Mbengue OK but not as stand-out.

The midfield played some lovely stuff. I noticed Savage the most, followed by Camara. Savage is a very neat player, seems to have that extra second. He would be in my starting 11 every time

EHIBxx was a threat all night (and was getting fouled a helluva lot) and the small child also known as Vickers ran his socks off and showed shedloads of skill.

:shock: :shock:

We were noticibly poorer when he came one. All their attacks came down that side and he was caught out. Carson could well be the best LB at the club.

He was terrific last night. He's a lot more balanced than NGW in that position. Him and Abbey were my MoM picks.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 16 Aug 2023 08:22

Royal_jimmy
parky

:shock: :shock:

We were noticibly poorer when he came one. All their attacks came down that side and he was caught out. Carson could well be the best LB at the club.

He was terrific last night. He's a lot more balanced than NGW in that position. Him and Abbey were my MoM picks.

Carson is a fantastic find. I thought he was our best LB in the preseason friendlies, plus he has a little bit of spite about him which I like to see.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Aug 2023 08:25

There is a hell of a lot of talent in those kids.

Accrington could well regret letting Carson go for nothing, he could really have a breakthrough season this year - defensively sound and some of those crosses were into very dangerous positions - one in the second half where be picked out Ehibhatiomhan was a beautiful ball, sadly Kelvin E. had just stepped off.

Overall, a very encouraging night - in the first half, with more mature decision making, we would have had 2 or 3 but some of the passing through the thirds by Wing in particular was excellent. Vickers has all the ability in the world and should go on to have a fantastic career, Savage kept things ticking over and defensively. The CB partnership looked like they had played for years despite having a combined age younger than Curtis Davies.

Mbengue looked solid but seemed to make more mistakes than others, mainly through trying to be positive but had the pace to recover.

Second half showed there is a long way to go, the subs were needed but seemed to upset the flow - to play the Selles way, we need to find the balance between sitting back and going at the opposition - needs to be in waves, so as to conserve energy even as fitness improves. Ironic that removing Carroll from the line-up saw us play more quality crosses into the box than we've seen in the whole time he's been here.

More bodies capable of playing this style are needed and Elliott looks like a perfect fit - very intrigued to hear Selles comments that his scanning of a game is off the charts for a player his age - but definitely need a more experienced, mobile front man - not giving up on Stansfield quite yet as well as another quick wide man.

The more senior players can now be under no illusion of what is required from them and they either need to adapt to the style of play or accept they will either have a long season on the fringes or move on.

Lots of promising signs but a lot of work still to do - if we can pick up 5-7pts from the next 3 then that will have been an excellent start, Stevenage is going to one hell of a test though as they will be full of confidence.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 16 Aug 2023 08:30

Sounds like we still faded after 60 or so. Understandably, but a reminder that we're still very much in transition and will have some frustrating results this season. And we're only talking about a 1-0 home win against a side who could well go down.

But how refreshing to see a clear plan. Sort out the off pitch issues and we could very well go back up in 2 - 3 years ready to compete in the Championship like Sunderland and Ipswich.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Aug 2023 08:31

Thought Abbey was very good last night, man of the match for me. Seems like he's fit into that position really well and for such an inexperienced back line minus the goalkeeper, we did well really irrespective of who the opposition was. I certainly prefer Carson to NGW, I think he offers more balance, is less one dimensional in his play and is stronger defensively as well.

I won't be going over the top about anything, but it's certainly a start. Similar to what we've seen so far really, strong in the first half where we could/should have scored more, but tailed off a bit in the second, but as the games keep coming we can work on that. There will be harder opposition than themselves, but overall, pleasing.

Abbey and Carson must be in the starting line up for the weekend, probably Vickers as well in his role at the moment as he's looking to cause some issues. Is Abrefa injured at the moment? Just haven't seen nor heard much about him at all since the off season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Aug 2023 09:17

Really good seeing the young players deliver. We've a long way to go yet. Finally some pace at the back and it got usout of jail more than once.

Button continues to be adequate but shakey at times, Southwood the better of the two keepers.

Defence played well, but I remain unconvinced by Mbengue's reading of the game at fullback. I don’t think that line up would stand up so well to a good L1 attack. For me centreback should be:

McIntyre/Dean/Holmes
Abbey/Mbengue/Binden

Amazing that Dorsett now seems nowhere.

Midfield was better, but still needs much more movement. Camara and Knibbs did ok, if unspectacular.

Vickers looks quality, but we mustn't burn him out, lots to develop. Ehib is a cracking player but fades early.

Lots of promise, the next few months still likely to be a slog. 3 league games in and no goals for a Reading player yet.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Aug 2023 09:30

Snowflake Royal Really good seeing the young players deliver. We've a long way to go yet. Finally some pace at the back and it got usout of jail more than once.

Button continues to be adequate but shakey at times, Southwood the better of the two keepers.

Defence played well, but I remain unconvinced by Mbengue's reading of the game at fullback. I don’t think that line up would stand up so well to a good L1 attack. For me centreback should be:

McIntyre/Dean/Holmes
Abbey/Mbengue/Binden

Midfield was better, but still needs much more movement. Camara and Knibbs did ok, if unspectacular.

Vickers looks quality, but we mustn't burn him out, lots to develop. Ehib is a cracking player but fades early.

Lots of promise, the next few months still likely to be a slog. 3 league games in and no goals for a Reading player yet.

Honest question as we all see things differently but what was it about Button's performance yesterday that you considered shaky? He claimed every high ball perfectly, including coming through players on a couple of occasions - dealt with the few efforts on goal calmly and effectively. Was constantly communicating with the back 4 and you could see the relationship between the CBs and him build throughout the game and his distribution was decent bar maybe 1 or 2 that he overcooked. There was the backpass mix up in the first 5 mins but that seemed to be more a bit of nerves from Bindon that on the GK.

Essentially, and I know it is one game, he countered pretty much every negative we've heard about him and finally being first choice again looks like it may help him regain the confidence he clearly lost at WBA. Am sure there will be games where we wonder why we bothered but last night he showed a lot of the traits that the club were clearly looking for in a keeper - he fits the plan.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 16 Aug 2023 09:39

Stranded
Snowflake Royal Really good seeing the young players deliver. We've a long way to go yet. Finally some pace at the back and it got usout of jail more than once.

McIntyre/Dean/Holmes
Abbey/Mbengue/Binden

Honest question as we all see things differently but what was it about Button's performance yesterday that you considered shaky? He claimed every high ball perfectly, including coming through players on a couple of occasions - dealt with the few efforts on goal calmly and effectively. Was constantly communicating with the back 4 and you could see the relationship between the CBs and him build throughout the game and his distribution was decent bar maybe 1 or 2 that he overcooked. There was the backpass mix up in the first 5 mins but that seemed to be more a bit of nerves from Bindon that on the GK.

Essentially, and I know it is one game, he countered pretty much every negative we've heard about him and finally being first choice again looks like it may help him regain the confidence he clearly lost at WBA. Am sure there will be games where we wonder why we bothered but last night he showed a lot of the traits that the club were clearly looking for in a keeper - he fits the plan.

Glad you typed all this in as I fully agree about Button - was dreading what performance we'd see but he looked solid and not at all shaky

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 16 Aug 2023 09:40

Brilliantly defensively last night, lots of energy and certainly first half there was a lot of attacking intent. Forgetting the long range shots which don't often bring a goal, there were also 2 occasions when a squared past would of brought about a goal, so plenty of attacking opportunities. Got tougher in the second half but Cheltenham were very limited.

Interesting, opposing fans saying that's the best they have played all season and real promise, so if we have come up against an improving team and win, there is hope yet!

Button was decent and deserves a special mention. I thought the camaraderie amongst players was excellent. A proper spirit going on.

Well done to Selles for making those calls. Interesting as well that the players who came on, looked decent and committed. Subs pretty much maintained the level. Excellent atmosphere in the ground too.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 16 Aug 2023 09:48

Yeah Button did nothing wrong at all. He looked rusty against Port Vale but was fine last night. I don't think he's a bad keeper for this league. Not sure he's much better than Southwood who made some good saves last night.

What a big change two midweek games makes to the sentiment behind the team. Lots of excitement about the youngsters breaking into the first team. If they continue to keep up the levels shown in those 2 games then we should be getting some of them tied down to longer deals!

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 16 Aug 2023 09:54

I thought the team did well to win of course but looked (understandably) raw. There’s a long way to go and people need to be patient as I’m convinced we’ll take some batterings this season.

I’d never seen Abbey or Vickers play before and I thought the former looked very good, solid, athletic, comfortable on the ball. Vickers also had a good game - League One Grealish vibes - but knackered by the end and can’t play every week.

Not sure where all this talk of 3 or 4 nil comes from, Reading deserved to win but the final scoreline was about right and Cheltenham put us under some pressure in the second half.

Three very welcome points but a long way to go.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 16 Aug 2023 09:54

Carson - he has the makings of being a brilliant left back. Camara was also excellent last night, so much energy, work rate, something massively lacking in previous teams and will go from strength to strength. Pace is vital to any back line and what a difference that showed last night. Abbey and Mbengue were vital in getting back making challenges or cutting out attackers. Holmes and Mcyintyre must be very worried now.....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Aug 2023 10:31

Stranded

McIntyre/Dean/Holmes
Abbey/Mbengue/Binden

Thought he lost where he was for the high ball near his bar and made a right meal of it.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Aug 2023 10:33

Here to check if Ian is (rightfully) mentioning that he's been crying out for us to play our academy for the last 10 years.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Aug 2023 10:38

Nope, leaving that for a few weeks.

One thing that shocked me last night, was how on earth did not one member of the coaching or playing team from two seasons ago say nothing to Selles about packing Southwood in on corners and set plays and trying to bully him.

Given that's what broke him in our side.