BFTG - Cheltenham

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

BFTG - Cheltenham

by Brogue » 15 Aug 2023 23:04

Vickers doesn’t wear shin pads, fabulous player with the ball at his feet, naive decision making at times but to expected at his age. Has bags of raw talent

Knibbs looked out of his depth

Bindon had so much time on the ball looked classy apart from one stray backpass

Abbey was imperious

Carson no one got passed him all night

Wing savage camara - meh did ok didn’t stand out

WiFi - great hold up play quick feet lead the line well, needs more composure when shooting

Mbengue solid defensively not great going forward

Button solid

retro royal

Re: BFTG - Cheltenham

by retro royal » 15 Aug 2023 23:20

Didn't really believe a drop in division would be good for us, but now with the youth stepping up, think it is. A season improving and a late push for the playoffs just missing out then going up the following season and the players having a couple of seasons behind them ready for the Championship.

Hopefully we got good contracts on them all

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 15 Aug 2023 23:30

retro royal Didn't really believe a drop in division would be good for us, but now with the youth stepping up, think it is. A season improving and a late push for the playoffs just missing out then going up the following season and the players having a couple of seasons behind them ready for the Championship.

I thought it would be a disaster, but i'm beginning to eat my words.

Financially it's awful, but we seem to be pulling ourself out of a funke. I'm so damned excited about this season! Lets goooo

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 15 Aug 2023 23:33

Defensively we looked solid again. Abbey was exceptional for the second Tuesday night game running. He reads the game well, has pace and the physicality to cope with the strikers in this division. Bindon next to him also very good. Also thought Carson at LB played well again and I’d be happy to start him in ahead of NGW. Defensively looks more solid.

For all the possession we had, we created very little and need to have more to show for it. But nice to finally get a league win.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 15 Aug 2023 23:37

This is a project in the making and today and the Millwall game we've just seen a glimpse of Reading FC slowly moving in the right direction. These youngsters are fearless, however, they will make mistakes along the road.

Bowen really has worked wonders with the recruitment so far with young hungry players with promise of bright futures ahead of them and the possibility of good sell on fees to fund the club moving forward.

This young new signing today from Chelsea comes with plenty of promise if he can stay fit. The football on display is so much more positive and fun to watch and is total night and day from the turgid bore fest on offer from Pince!!!

In Selles we trust, in the project we trust!!!!

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 15 Aug 2023 23:41

Great result and a glimmer of hope in the stadium tonight. The relief at the final whistle was palpable and will be a massive boost of confidence for all the young players . Good battling team performance where no individuals either stood out or performed poorly. Well played lads onwards we go.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 15 Aug 2023 23:43

Maybe the start of a new era tonight and the kids were great. Vickers is a talent and Carson looks a real find at LB, Bindon was coolness personified; Abbey was exceptional and looks a natural leader. However, our second half performances have been worrying and each of the three league games to date have followed the same pattern. We did not create a chance of note in the second half and we really need to add some goal-scoring power.

Will be a real test on Saturday against Stevenage: Steve Evans' teams are big, physical and direct. Not sure if Selles will start that XI again.
Last edited by Ark Royal on 15 Aug 2023 23:46, edited 1 time in total.

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 15 Aug 2023 23:46

Well. League One is shit isn't it :lol:

First off. Well done to the team for securing their first league win since Feb. That will be a massive confidence boost to all around the club.

Now to the football.

When we had the ball on the deck we looked good. It is great to see the youngsters going gung ho but we have to be realistic here. We will not be winning many games in this league if we play like that against better teams in this division. We hoofed the ball forward at every opportunity from the back and the forwards weren't able to hold onto it for more than a few seconds in the 2nd half especially. Selles knows these guys can't play every week and I am hoping we keep making more quality signings between now and the end of the window to take the burden off these promising and spirited youngsters.

Sorry to go against the grain but that's my brutally honest view.

Performances.

Button 6 - Solid.
Mbengue 5 - Not his best performance.
Binden 7 - So composed for a young man. Definitely needs more match experience. But very good still.
Abbey 8 - Very impressive with everything.
Carson 6 - Not as composed as others on the ball but worked his ass off. Tired in the 2nd half.

Savage 7 - Classy. Great passing range. Struggled to get on the ball in the 2nd half when Cheltenham were on the ascendancy.

Wing 6 - Some great balls, love his attitude. but I expected a smarter head in the 2nd half when we were under pressure.

Camara 5.5 - Worked hard.
Knibbs 6 - Better in the 1st half than the 2nd. I still expected more from him though.

Kelvin E 6- Good first half. I felt sorry him in the 2nd half as he was chasing lost causes.

Vickers 7 - Silky player. A bit naive with his nutmeg attempt but a good display. He was knackered 2nd half and shows why we need quality depth.

Subs
Not going to get into this much. Hutchinson, Tmac and Yids were much needed subs. The rest got good experience.

It was brave for Selles to make all the changes he did and it paid off today. Those boys that started all deserved their hoops. Some of these boys won't play on Saturday simply because they looked absolutely spent and probably need a couple more days to prepare and recover. I hope the fans don't expect too much from them over the season as they will need to be managed carefully. However, they should all be proud of themselves and certainly taught the seniors a lesson in how to work for a win today.

I would like to see the club forward plan a bit here and start thinking about getting some future proof contracts out on some of these guys. We can not afford to lose more talent for peanuts again. Especially now that they will be given more opportunities this season and hopefully beyond.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 15 Aug 2023 23:54

How can people be changing their tune going from “relegation is a disaster” to “now I think it’s good” based on the back off a 1 nil, ultimately laboured, home win against arguably the worst side in the division, and it was a massive own goal.

Glad to get off the mark and delighted fit the kids (and button) but one swallow does not a summer make.

One thing is evident is how much easier games are against players who don’t care (Millwall Vs limited but competitive chelt).

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 15 Aug 2023 23:57

My honest opinion....

Thought we played nice football at times, particularly in the first half but we're looking blunt and lightweight up top. We need to work on our end product and fitness. Second half was poor and we faded again, I'm questioning whether we're fit enough to sustain this style. Hopefully with Selles being a fitness coach he'll be working on that and we are more consistent in games. Cheltenham were poor and didn't really look like scoring although Abbey and Bindon did keep their attack fairly quiet still.

We need to be patient, our youngsters will make mistakes but they'll improve in time. I'm excited to see them grow and embrace the high intensity style of play.

Don't really get the massive excitement, we beat Cheltenham from a bit of a flukey OG.. big deal, with no disrespect to Cheltenham. Pleased we're off the mark but I didn't think it was that amazing. Did just about enough to win and probably a fair scoreline. Wasnt a great game and not many chances. Can see the massive drop in quality in this league.

retro royal

by retro royal » 16 Aug 2023 00:00

CountryRoyal How can people be changing their tune going from “relegation is a disaster” to “now I think it’s good” based on the back off a 1 nil, ultimately laboured, home win against arguably the worst side in the division, and it was a massive own goal.

Glad to get off the mark and delighted fit the kids (and button) but one swallow does not a summer make.

One thing is evident is how much easier games are against players who don’t care (Millwall Vs limited but competitive chelt).

Personally, I think the youth aren't ready for the Championship, at this level they get a their chance and improve in a physical league that'll improve their futures, with our fantastic facilities, allows us to attract great prospects. That's where PL2 is around mid L1 level IMO

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 16 Aug 2023 00:01

skipper
retro royal Didn't really believe a drop in division would be good for us, but now with the youth stepping up, think it is. A season improving and a late push for the playoffs just missing out then going up the following season and the players having a couple of seasons behind them ready for the Championship.

I thought it would be a disaster, but i'm beginning to eat my words.

Financially it's awful, but we seem to be pulling ourself out of a funke. I'm so damned excited about this season! Lets goooo

Think it's too early to say but the tax bill stuff has been a bit of a cesspit. Would like to see us get a few more wins between now and the end of September before we say what relegation has been like. Truth is any relegation is bad news, we're having a squad reset which is needed but they'll take time to gel.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 16 Aug 2023 00:03

CountryRoyal How can people be changing their tune going from “relegation is a disaster” to “now I think it’s good” based on the back off a 1 nil, ultimately laboured, home win against arguably the worst side in the division, and it was a massive own goal.

But it's good to watch this young side develop, a real breath of fresh air it won't always work but it's worth paying to watch.
This side that started tonight would not have got a chance under your avatars management.
Young boys scored five conceded none won two
Old boys scored none conceded two won none

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 16 Aug 2023 00:05

Royal_jimmy My honest opinion....

Thought we played nice football at times, particularly in the first half but we're looking blunt and lightweight up top. We need to work on our end product and fitness. Second half was poor and we faded again, I'm questioning whether we're fit enough to sustain this style. Hopefully with Selles being a fitness coach he'll be working on that and we are more consistent in games. Cheltenham were poor and didn't really look like scoring although Abbey and Bindon did keep their attack fairly quiet still.

We need to be patient, our youngsters will make mistakes but they'll improve in time. I'm excited to see them grow and embrace the high intensity style of play.

Don't really get the massive excitement, we beat Cheltenham from a bit of a flukey OG.. big deal, with no disrespect to Cheltenham. Pleased we're off the mark but I didn't think it was that amazing. Did just about enough to win and probably a fair scoreline. Wasnt a great game and not many chances. Can see the massive drop in quality in this league.

Can see the massive drop in quality in you're posts *

*an already low bar
Last edited by 72 bus on 16 Aug 2023 00:07, edited 1 time in total.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 16 Aug 2023 00:06

Some people :lol: if we lose to Stevenage the doom merchants will be back

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Aug 2023 00:30

Royal_jimmy

Some people :lol: if we lose to Stevenage the doom merchants will be back

Bad time to play them, would probs take a draw tbh, they knocked Watford out the cup too.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Aug 2023 00:32

72 bus

But it's good to watch this young side develop, a real breath of fresh air it won't always work but it's worth paying to watch.
This side that started tonight would not have got a chance under your avatars management.

‘Greed, and wouldn’t read into the avatar, haven’t been arsed to make a new one.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 16 Aug 2023 00:47

CountryRoyal
72 bus

‘Greed, and wouldn’t read into the avatar, haven’t been arsed to make a new one.

Needs to go, depresses me every time I see that bloke.

Bowen and Selles have properly pressed the...

Button
Last edited by 72 bus on 16 Aug 2023 00:55, edited 1 time in total.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Aug 2023 00:48

I really don’t get the negativity in BFTG.

Cheltenham may be a likely relegation team but they are still experienced pros and for most of this match the Reading youngsters took them to the cleaners with 2/3 possession and limiting Cheltenham to three very tame attempts on goal.

Cheltenham hardly looked like scoring. Most of their attacks were breaks and Button was never seriously exposed.

Meanwhile Southwood had to make at least three fine saves, one from Carson at full stretch, another from Wing, a third was a fingertip save from Vickers, there was a fourth also in the corner, this time from Azeez.

I seem to remember players free in the Cheltenham box, balls flying across the area (Andy Carroll would have had a field day) and at least one nasty cross stretched Southwood.

We could easily have gone in 4-0 at HT

People say we faded in the second half, as if the boys were knackered. It looked more like they were settling for 1-0 (when I really wanted us to go for a second goal).

The subs looked defensive, and if you sit back you invite any side to have a go… but was Button troubled? Not at all.

He may have stopped a couple. One was a lame, tame shot straight to him, another was a soft header straight into his arms.

I thought this was a comprehensive win and far better than the win at Millwall where Millwall’s defence was appalling on the night.

We dealt with breaks brilliantly. These lads chase harder than any of the old hands who played at Port Vale.

They played like they’d played together (and well) for years. They won countless headers against bigger, heavier men, ran their hearts out to get back to cover. The two CBs looked untroubled. LB Carson was excellent. Mbengue OK but not as stand-out.

The midfield played some lovely stuff. I noticed Savage the most, followed by Camara. Savage is a very neat player, seems to have that extra second. He would be in my starting 11 every time

EHIBxx was a threat all night (and was getting fouled a helluva lot) and the small child also known as Vickers ran his socks off and showed shedloads of skill.

I also thought “Old Man McIntyre” (24) played very well as sub.

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 16 Aug 2023 03:56

Snowball I really don’t get the negativity in BFTG.

Cheltenham may be a likely relegation team but they are still experienced pros and for most of this match the Reading youngsters took them to the cleaners with 2/3 possession and limiting Cheltenham to three very tame attempts on goal.

Cheltenham hardly looked like scoring. Most of their attacks were breaks and Button was never seriously exposed.

Meanwhile Southwood had to make at least three fine saves, one from Carson at full stretch, another from Wing, a third was a fingertip save from Vickers, there was a fourth also in the corner, this time from Azeez.

I seem to remember players free in the Cheltenham box, balls flying across the area (Andy Carroll would have had a field day) and at least one nasty cross stretched Southwood.

We could easily have gone in 4-0 at HT

People say we faded in the second half, as if the boys were knackered. It looked more like they were settling for 1-0 (when I really wanted us to go for a second goal).

The subs looked defensive, and if you sit back you invite any side to have a go… but was Button troubled? Not at all.

He may have stopped a couple. One was a lame, tame shot straight to him, another was a soft header straight into his arms.

I thought this was a comprehensive win and far better than the win at Millwall where Millwall’s defence was appalling on the night.

We dealt with breaks brilliantly. These lads chase harder than any of the old hands who played at Port Vale.

They played like they’d played together (and well) for years. They won countless headers against bigger, heavier men, ran their hearts out to get back to cover. The two CBs looked untroubled. LB Carson was excellent. Mbengue OK but not as stand-out.

The midfield played some lovely stuff. I noticed Savage the most, followed by Camara. Savage is a very neat player, seems to have that extra second. He would be in my starting 11 every time

EHIBxx was a threat all night (and was getting fouled a helluva lot) and the small child also known as Vickers ran his socks off and showed shedloads of skill.

I also thought “Old Man McIntyre” (24) played very well as sub.

:shock: :shock:

We were noticibly poorer when he came one. All their attacks came down that side and he was caught out. Carson could well be the best LB at the club.