BFTG Stevenage

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG Stevenage

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Aug 2023 08:36

tidus_mi2 I'd like McIntyre to remain in the squad because he has always been a real asset in the air, feels like he'd remain as a beneficial squad option. Tom Holmes at one point I felt was the brighter prospect but he's 23 now and I'm not sure he's ever going to be more than League 1 quality.

I think they are both good enough for the Championship, but they are just similar players. They can work together as a CB pairing, they just lack an overall understanding of how to play that position together.

Plenty of CB's, and pairings, have got on just fine at the very top level without pace irrespective of where the line is, high, low or somewhere in between. You need to be able to read the game, understand what's happening in front of you and position yourself correctly. Pace isn't a necessity for a CB if you have those 3 attributes, which neither of them do unfortunately.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 22 Aug 2023 08:53

YorkshireRoyal99
tidus_mi2 I'd like McIntyre to remain in the squad because he has always been a real asset in the air, feels like he'd remain as a beneficial squad option. Tom Holmes at one point I felt was the brighter prospect but he's 23 now and I'm not sure he's ever going to be more than League 1 quality.

I think they are both good enough for the Championship, but they are just similar players. They can work together as a CB pairing, they just lack an overall understanding of how to play that position together.

Plenty of CB's, and pairings, have got on just fine at the very top level without pace irrespective of where the line is, high, low or somewhere in between. You need to be able to read the game, understand what's happening in front of you and position yourself correctly. Pace isn't a necessity for a CB if you have those 3 attributes, which neither of them do unfortunately.

Neither are anywhere near good enough for the Championship, the last two seasons should tell you that.
No pace, no positional sense.

22/23 season 68 goals conceded third worst in the Championship
21/22 season 87 goals conceded Worst in the Championship

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Aug 2023 09:26

72 bus
YorkshireRoyal99

Neither are anywhere near good enough for the Championship, the last two seasons should tell you that.

Just because the individuals don't work as a unit doesn't mean that individually they aren't good enough. A lot of our defensive problems have been caused by a) managers not realising that they shouldn't play together as a CB partnership and b) having a close to non-existant midfield for the past 2 seasons meaning that an already struggling and underpowered defence had more work to do than they should have had.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 22 Aug 2023 10:04

This guy is an ‘aspiring performance analyst’ and obviously has a lot of time on his hands but for those who like in depth analysis this might be worth a read

https://x.com/benadsheadpa/status/16937 ... zleRCWjxvA

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 22 Aug 2023 12:35

Brogue This guy is an ‘aspiring performance analyst’ and obviously has a lot of time on his hands but for those who like in depth analysis this might be worth a read

Thats excellent work and a very good thread to be fair.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Aug 2023 12:46

Brogue This guy is an ‘aspiring performance analyst’ and obviously has a lot of time on his hands but for those who like in depth analysis this might be worth a read

I saw that last night and to be fair it's very good, a lot of detail and formatted well. Good to see someone who is clearly passionate in their area of interest.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 22 Aug 2023 12:49

It's good work. Looking at his profile, he appears to be a Stevenage fan. He said in one of his responses that he thinks Reading are "at least a top 10 side but this team will only improve imo".

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 22 Aug 2023 16:38

under the tin I'm just loving the general direction of travel of the club.
It seems like almost for decades now we've been recruiting established pro's for biggish fees on largish wages, who have flaws in their game, or are injury-prone, and someone at the club has at last clicked on that this approach has not worked.

Now we are supplementing the products of our own academy with the bright lights from the academies of clubs much higher up the football food chain, where these lads are realistic enough to know that they are a long way down the first team pecking order.
These young players know they will make mistakes, will sometimes get bullied, but they accept that is all part of their football journey, but are joining a club where they will be playing alongside others of a similar age, so they get the chance to be first teamers together playing in a decent stadium, and excellent training facilities.

What the club get in return is a sustainable payroll, and motivated individuals, wishing to improve their game, thereby building up their resale value if they realise their full potential. The club already know, and we as fans have to accept that if these players turn out to be "that" good, they will be pursued by the bigger football fish. All the club has to do is be diligent in regards to player contracts and trigger clauses, and we have set up a solid future revenue stream. Furthermore, were one or more of the players to get a "big move". this can only help in our future recruitment of this type.

What we fans get is enthusiastic aspirational motivated talented triers wearing the shirt.
We've had far too much of the other kind of stuff over the last few years.

Tyler reminds me of Alan Hansen. Nelson is fab. Elliot looked good. Kelvin is growing into his role so well. Vickers gets you off your seat.
Busby babes? No.
Bowen's brood.

This is tomorrow calling. (copyright Bryan Ferry)

Great post, this 110% :D :D

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Aug 2023 19:40

Brilliant stuff. Reminds me of my analyses after games :P

Seriously though I wish we'd have a Reading fan do this. I would volunteer but presumably we'd at least want someone who knows wtf they're talking about.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Aug 2023 19:45

Crowbar6753
It seems like almost for decades now we've been recruiting established pro's for biggish fees on largish wages, who have flaws in their game, or are injury-prone, and someone at the club has at last clicked on that this approach has not worked.

Now we are supplementing the products of our own academy with the bright lights from the academies of clubs much higher up the football food chain, where these lads are realistic enough to know that they are a long way down the first team pecking order.
These young players know they will make mistakes, will sometimes get bullied, but they accept that is all part of their football journey, but are joining a club where they will be playing alongside others of a similar age, so they get the chance to be first teamers together playing in a decent stadium, and excellent training facilities.

What the club get in return is a sustainable payroll, and motivated individuals, wishing to improve their game, thereby building up their resale value if they realise their full potential. The club already know, and we as fans have to accept that if these players turn out to be "that" good, they will be pursued by the bigger football fish. All the club has to do is be diligent in regards to player contracts and trigger clauses, and we have set up a solid future revenue stream. Furthermore, were one or more of the players to get a "big move". this can only help in our future recruitment of this type.

What we fans get is enthusiastic aspirational motivated talented triers wearing the shirt.

Tyler reminds me of Alan Hansen. Nelson is fab. Elliot looked good. Kelvin is growing into his role so well. Vickers gets you off your seat.
Busby babes? No.
Bowen's brood.

Great post, this 110% :D :D

Exactly, brilliant post. I know some here questioned what I was on the first time I suggested this a while back but this has explained better than I ever could why I feel so excited going back to this good old Reading. Really exciting stuff. Come on Reading!!!!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 22 Aug 2023 19:59

Millsy

Seriously though I wish we'd have a Reading fan do this. I would volunteer but presumably we'd at least want someone who knows wtf they're talking about.

I believe the guy in question has got a degree in Sports Analysis and is clearly looking to make a career of it.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 22 Aug 2023 21:19

Sanguine I've not got to a game yet this season, but how on earth is an 18 year old Tyler Bindon, who first arrived in this country a few weeks back, producing brilliant performances as a starting centre-back in a tough and physical League One? Is he that good? Do we have a real find on your hands?

How rare is an 18 year old first choice CB at all!?

Pace, composure, positional sense.
Doesn't commit waits for his man

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Aug 2023 08:12

RoyalBlue
Millsy

I believe the guy in question has got a degree in Sports Analysis and is clearly looking to make a career of it.

Excellent review and shows actually what modern head coach/managers need to understand and/or be able to buy into as well how important it is to review and understand how your opponents are likely to be setting up for games. It's therefore probably of great help that Ruben was chief data analyst during his 2 years in Norway at Stromsgodsett Toppfotball.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Aug 2023 09:38

Stranded
72 bus
YorkshireRoyal99

Just because the individuals don't work as a unit doesn't mean that individually they aren't good enough. A lot of our defensive problems have been caused by a) managers not realising that they shouldn't play together as a CB partnership and b) having a close to non-existant midfield for the past 2 seasons meaning that an already struggling and underpowered defence had more work to do than they should have had.

Sorta agree

I also think the psychological impacts play a big part in the players’ minds. They’re playing with too much pressure and that’s evident in the way they try to defend.

Similar story to Cooper who was giving away at least one/two goal scoring opportunities a match at the tail end of his time here. I’m sure the “not good enough for the Championship” was aimed at Cooper but he started afresh and has made a decent Championship career for himself. He wouldn’t have had the same success here and I think it’d be prudent for Holmes and McIntyre to follow lead.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 23 Aug 2023 11:39

Busby babes? No.
Bowen's brood.

Can I just say that after reading this post, for the first time in many Years I am seriously tempted to go to a game (Ok, I went to Coventry away last season, but that was for a special reason where watching the team playing was almost secondary, and it was certainly not something that filled me with optimism beforehand)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Aug 2023 11:41

Busby babes? No.
Bowen's brood.

Seems ironic given his later comments on MotD.