Squad Bible

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Squad Bible

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Sep 2023 09:05

The Green Programme
Snowflake Royal
Brogue Well at least the title of the thread is apt. As the bible is littered with lies and inaccuracies too

:lol:

Or clear metaphors and complex concepts - representative of living a good life - written in ancient times - depending upon how you see it…..

It’s probably best not to criticise religious books on here - and the Bible of course is always a ‘cheap shot’ because, as you may know, Christians don’t tend to send the boys round in response to criticism.

Oh, you're also one of them. Makes sense, I guess.

frimmers3
Hob Nob Addict

by frimmers3 » 03 Sep 2023 09:35

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 Sep 2023 10:25

Linden Jones' Tash
The Green Programme
Snowflake Royal :lol:

Or clear metaphors and complex concepts - representative of living a good life - written in ancient times - depending upon how you see it…..

It’s probably best not to criticise religious books on here - and the Bible of course is always a ‘cheap shot’ because, as you may know, Christians don’t tend to send the boys round in response to criticism.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Inquisition

Well, I didn't expect that.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 03 Sep 2023 11:02

From Despair To Where?
Linden Jones' Tash
The Green Programme Or clear metaphors and complex concepts - representative of living a good life - written in ancient times - depending upon how you see it…..

Nobody does

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 03 Sep 2023 11:02

From Despair To Where?
Linden Jones' Tash
The Green Programme Or clear metaphors and complex concepts - representative of living a good life - written in ancient times - depending upon how you see it…..

Thank goodness for Henry 8th (even if for selfish reasons) and Martin Luther as otherwise we might still be genuflecting all over the place as so many foreign players do for some reason on the pitches of England.
The bible, albeit no doubt historically inaccurate, does have some decent allegorical stories and the values from Moses through to Arsenal's no.9 represent a reasonable code for living IMHO.

The good book is still a best seller apparently.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 03 Sep 2023 11:13

South Coast Royal
From Despair To Where?

Thank goodness for Henry 8th (even if for selfish reasons) and Martin Luther as otherwise we might still be genuflecting all over the place as so many foreign players do for some reason on the pitches of England.
The bible, albeit no doubt historically inaccurate, does have some decent allegorical stories and the values from Moses through to Arsenal's no.9 represent a reasonable code for living IMHO.

Henry 8th destroyed Reading Abbey I believe

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Sep 2023 11:18

Mid Sussex Royal
South Coast Royal
From Despair To Where?

Dissolution of the Monastries.

Just a spoilt brat trying to get his way and steal money.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 03 Sep 2023 11:50

Snowflake Royal
Mid Sussex Royal
South Coast Royal

Dissolution of the Monastries.

Just a spoilt brat trying to get his way and steal money.

Like most rulers.

A "spoilt brat" which is often the case with a generation that follows somebody decent like his dad who did a lot towards making education more available to the masses.
Without Hal 8th we might however still be looking blindly to Rome for spiritual guidance and direction so I feel that we should be forever grateful for that and you divorced heathens on here and elsewhere might also want to raise a glass to the memory of Henry who made it easier for them.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Sep 2023 11:57

Can someone please redirect me to matters pertaining to Reading FC?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Sep 2023 12:14

Sure.

First Team Squad:

GK: Button, Boyce-Clarke
RB: Mbengue (grumble), Yiadom, Abrefa
LB: Mola, Carson, Guiness-Walker
CB: Binden, Dean, Holmes
CB: Abbey, McIntyre, Dorsett
CM: Wing, Hutchinson, Craig
CM: Savage, Rushesha
RW/F: Elliott, Azeez, Mukairu
LW/F: Knibbs, Camara, Tuma
ST: Smith, Vickers
ST: Ballard, Ehibhatiomhan

With Bouzanis gone, we're a keeper light, but we can expect Pereira to sign next week probably.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 03 Sep 2023 13:55

South Coast Royal

Not sure where to begin...

I'm not sure relatively few players making openly religious gestures on a football pitch is worth the centuries of religious strife that followed the establishment of the Church of England. Fair few English players make religious gestures of their own - Saka, for example.

I'd not be so confident about Moses as a code for living - some of his rules are irrelevant ("worship no God but me"), and others are actively bad ("you shall not lie with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination"). Even Jesus places a very high value on religious worship. I'm not sure if his encouragement of lives of poverty is entirely wise, though I see the value in encouraging charity - if nothing else, I don't think it's a realistic prescription for most people.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Sep 2023 14:03

Millsy Can someone please redirect me to matters pertaining to Reading FC?

Well, I tried.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 03 Sep 2023 14:07

Millsy Can someone please redirect me to matters pertaining to Reading FC?

you’re on the wrong website me old mucker

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 03 Sep 2023 14:51

frimmers3

I don't think this Subbuteo team is Reading, we never played in blue shorts back then.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 03 Sep 2023 16:08

SCIAG
South Coast Royal

I'm not sure relatively few players making openly religious gestures on a football pitch is worth the centuries of religious strife that followed the establishment of the Church of England. Fair few English players make religious gestures of their own - Saka, for example.

I'd not be so confident about Moses as a code for living - some of his rules are irrelevant ("worship no God but me"), and others are actively bad ("you shall not lie with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination"). Even Jesus places a very high value on religious worship. I'm not sure if his encouragement of lives of poverty is entirely wise, though I see the value in encouraging charity - if nothing else, I don't think it's a realistic prescription for most people.

So what is?
The teachings in the bible may not be perfect and appropriate for all generations but they aren't generally so bad are they?
As for Saka ,it's those Catholics that do the genuflecting whether they be from here or elsewhere but mainly those from more RC minded countries.
I'm not sure why they do it-the Lord surely isn't going to wish them all well ahead of the non-crossers is he?

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 03 Sep 2023 19:43

SCIAG
South Coast Royal

"you shall not lie with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination"
He was right mate, it's sick

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 03 Sep 2023 20:00

Disappointing experience, m7?

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 04 Sep 2023 09:05

LUX Disappointing experience, m7?

:D

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 04 Sep 2023 13:10

Linden Jones' Tash
The Green Programme
Snowflake Royal :lol:

Unless you have a Time Machine and willingly revert to centuries past…

I don’t think the boys will be pitching up any time soon… as you well know, of course.

Monty Python ridiculed the times you mention, in a much more public format….

And managed to escape retribution.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Sep 2023 13:21

The Green Programme
Linden Jones' Tash

Unless you have a Time Machine and willingly revert to centuries past…

I don’t think the boys will be pitching up any time soon… as you well know, of course.

Monty Python ridiculed the times you mention, in a much more public format….

And managed to escape retribution.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/02/04/qanon-christian-extremism-nationalism-violence-466034