Sept International Break

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Sept International Break

by Mid Sussex Royal » 22 Aug 2023 21:24

Just seen 4 league one games already called off but not us.

Given we have Mbengue, CBC, Elliott, Savage, Bindon (I think) & Camara likely to be called up assume our game v Bristol Rovers will be called off too?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Sept International Break

by Franchise FC » 22 Aug 2023 21:29

Mid Sussex Royal Just seen 4 league one games already called off but not us.

Given we have Mbengue, CBC, Elliott, Savage, Bindon (I think) & Camara likely to be called up assume our game v Bristol Rovers will be called off too?

No !
That was to be my one live game for this season

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 23 Aug 2023 06:26

I would be surprised if it is called off. Hopefully it isn't

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 23 Aug 2023 06:40

IIRC, clubs need to have at least three players called up for international duty for them to have the option to postpone the game.

Based on TransferMarkt, Bristol Rovers themselves have four players who have been called up for an international team in the past year: Luca Hoole (Wales U21s - 4 caps), Matthew Cox (England U20s - 7 caps), Harvey Vale (England U20s - 9 caps), Lamare Bogarde (Netherlands U20s - 1 cap).

We've got eight (players in italics haven't been in a national team matchday squad in 2023):
  • Camara - Guinea-Bissau (3 caps)
  • Elliott - Cameroon (1 cap)
  • CBC - Jamaica (1 cap)
  • Mbengue - Senegal U23s (2 caps)
  • Savage - Wales U21s (2 caps)
  • Jahmari Clarke - Jamaica U20s (5 caps)
  • Abrefa - Ghana U20s (1 cap)
  • Bindon - USA U19s (2 caps)

I'd say there's a decent chance of the game being postponed.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Aug 2023 07:50

I would say it's 70/30 that it gets postponed if most national teams are playing - what are the rules around it though, international squads have not been announced as yet, so unless clubs have already been informed that player X is likely to be picked - are these clubs just being preemptive as they had 3 or more players called up in the last available window?

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 23 Aug 2023 08:18

Stranded I would say it's 70/30 that it gets postponed if most national teams are playing - what are the rules around it though, international squads have not been announced as yet, so unless clubs have already been informed that player X is likely to be picked - are these clubs just being preemptive as they had 3 or more players called up in the last available window?

I imagine clubs are in contact with national associations prior to the squad announcements to ensure players are available (mainly to ensure they're not injured).

Squads usually get announced about two weeks prior to the first match for the national team, so we should start hearing about international squads in the next few days. The list of players will be finalised prior to the public announcement.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Aug 2023 08:33

Personally, though I hate the thought of it, I think the international break should apply across all 4 divisions otherwise you can end up with the similar stupidity that you sometimes get in rugby with teams having to play games with maybe their best player missing.

I am expecting the Rovers game to be postponed but we shall see. For the record the international break in October falls on the weekend of the 14th and on that weekend Reading are scheduled to be playing *xf*rd at home which I'm sure some will like postponed even less.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Aug 2023 08:59

Clyde1998
Stranded I would say it's 70/30 that it gets postponed if most national teams are playing - what are the rules around it though, international squads have not been announced as yet, so unless clubs have already been informed that player X is likely to be picked - are these clubs just being preemptive as they had 3 or more players called up in the last available window?

I imagine clubs are in contact with national associations prior to the squad announcements to ensure players are available (mainly to ensure they're not injured).

Squads usually get announced about two weeks prior to the first match for the national team, so we should start hearing about international squads in the next few days. The list of players will be finalised prior to the public announcement.

Yep sure it will become clear by the beginning of next week at the latest.

Interestingly*, the international break officially starts on the 4th September i.e. that is when players are expecting to report. Due to Sky moving the Cambridge game, that is now on the 4th, so in the break.

I'm sure players may get permission to report on the 5th but the Cambridge game could also now be at risk of postponement if we do get 3 call ups esp if international sides are playing on the 6th or 7th.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 23 Aug 2023 10:03

Stranded
Clyde1998

Interestingly*, the international break officially starts on the 4th September i.e. that is when players are expecting to report. Due to Sky moving the Cambridge game, that is now on the 4th, so in the break.

I'm sure players may get permission to report on the 5th but the Cambridge game could also now be at risk of postponement if we do get 3 call ups esp if international sides are playing on the 6th or 7th.

Money (TV) talks so I would be surprised if the Cambridge game is called off.
I had hoped that the rare bonus of League 1 being that the international break wouldn't apply-these postings have now depressed me.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Aug 2023 10:06

South Coast Royal
Stranded
Clyde1998 I imagine clubs are in contact with national associations prior to the squad announcements to ensure players are available (mainly to ensure they're not injured).

I had hoped that the rare bonus of League 1 being that the international break wouldn't apply-these postings have now depressed me.

The Derby game that has been called off was slated for TV, so if the rules state players must be available to their international sides then that trumps TV. As I say, am sure there is likely some rule that will allow it to continue and players travel afterwards but for example, if Tuma gets a Maltese national side call up (poss unlikely) then they play Gibraltar on the 6th, so may need to be unavailable on the 4th.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Aug 2023 10:20

Stranded
Clyde1998

Hmm... obviously Sky can't be dropped in it by the gaming being postponed so will it be letting players report late or just screwing Reading and Cambridge over as they're not big clubs?

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 23 Aug 2023 10:52

Stranded
South Coast Royal
Stranded

The Derby game that has been called off was slated for TV, so if the rules state players must be available to their international sides then that trumps TV. As I say, am sure there is likely some rule that will allow it to continue and players travel afterwards but for example, if Tuma gets a Maltese national side call up (poss unlikely) then they play Gibraltar on the 6th, so may need to be unavailable on the 4th.

Given some of our players are travelling long haul (Africa and USA) I'd say there's a fair chance Cambridge will be called off too so after Exeter no league game for 3 weeks.

I guess we could re-arrange an EFL trophy game for a Sat?

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 23 Aug 2023 11:46

Sutekh Personally, though I hate the thought of it, I think the international break should apply across all 4 divisions otherwise you can end up with the similar stupidity that you sometimes get in rugby with teams having to play games with maybe their best player missing.

I am expecting the Rovers game to be postponed but we shall see. For the record the international break in October falls on the weekend of the 14th and on that weekend Reading are scheduled to be playing *xf*rd at home which I'm sure some will like postponed even less.

But for those of us with kids' birthdays that weekend, this is actually great news (speculation).

Esteban

by Esteban » 23 Aug 2023 12:00

Mid Sussex Royal
Stranded
South Coast Royal

Given some of our players are travelling long haul (Africa and USA) I'd say there's a fair chance Cambridge will be called off too so after Exeter no league game for 3 weeks.

I had this very discussion with a mate of mine at the weekend. As we know that there is an international break in September, October and November and some league matches will be postponed and some teams disadvantaged if they cannot get their match postponed (which is far worse in my view), why aren't we playing Papa John's trophy matches on Saturdays in the international break? I doubt anyone is going to complain that much and it reduces fixture congestion later in the season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Aug 2023 12:16

Esteban
Mid Sussex Royal
Stranded

I had this very discussion with a mate of mine at the weekend. As we know that there is an international break in September, October and November and some league matches will be postponed and some teams disadvantaged if they cannot get their match postponed (which is far worse in my view), why aren't we playing Papa John's trophy matches on Saturdays in the international break? I doubt anyone is going to complain that much and it reduces fixture congestion later in the season.

You have probably hit on the way they can make the EFL Trophy slightly more appealing - as I was bored this lunchtime, I just read the EFL Trophy regulation and the following is stated:

Matches may not be postponed due to Players having been called up to play for their national association’s representative matches

So if these games cannot be postponed due to call ups, it would make more sense to schedule these for the Saturday's during international breaks and scheduling the league games in the midweek slots that the EFL Trophy takes up. By playing these games on a Saturday early in Sep/Oct/Nov - you may even get slightly bigger crowds esp if the games kick off earlier, say 1pm and Kids either get free entry or are a quid.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Aug 2023 12:25

I'm still hoping for a rearranged fixture on October 31st, so the more postponements the better.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 23 Aug 2023 13:14

Bristol Rovers game confirmed postponed.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Aug 2023 13:17

Would imagine Cambridge will go ahead then.

Positive is, that it will give Selles best part of 2 weeks to work with the majority of the squad - may use it as a mini pre-season.

mikey_1871

by mikey_1871 » 23 Aug 2023 13:18

Mid Sussex Royal
Stranded
South Coast Royal

Could they not just bring Cambridge back to Saturday if that happened? Would be silly if this only got postponed due to it being moved due to TV coverage

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 23 Aug 2023 13:19

tidus_mi2 Bristol Rovers game confirmed postponed.

So now another bloody midweek game. :cry: