125 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Ipswich Town (h)

by Sutekh » 27 Aug 2023 08:47

When : Tuesday August 29, 8pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

League Cup time again and newly promoted Ipswich Town now of the second tier are in town looking to collect another easy passage after beating Bristol Rovers in their first round tie.

As ever with games in this competition these days it's more of a game for academy youngsters and fringe first teamers than full blown league regulars, so I can't imagine any fans of either team calling the right line-ups for this one.

After the excellent demolition of a very good Millwall team last time out Reading will probably be hopeful of at least a decent performance and I'd expect a hybrid team of experience and youth but really not sure whether Holmes, Carroll and NGW will get a game as the club seem to want to avoid any possibility of injury damaging whatever slim chance there may be of moving them on before the window shuts.

Perhaps Adrian Akande might finally get a game or Basil Tuma might start but we can be reasonably sure that CBC will be in goal but then with the next league game not being until next Monday night perhaps the team will be closer to a league line-up than a "reserve" showing.

Injuries seem to have cost us Smith, Wing (what is wrong with him?), Ejaria (though there is a rumour that he has and now recovered) and now added a twisted ankle to Mukairu.

Referee

Lewis Smith

Previously

Nothing known

Historically

No previous League Cup games with Ipswich so this'll be a first whatever. 30 league visits though from the "tractor boys" of which Reading have won 15 and Ipswich 9. The last home game finished 2-2 in October 2018.

The one and only cup game between the two sides resulted in a 4-1 defeat for Reading at Portman Road back in the FA Cup 1st Round on November 21 1953 so there is something for the home team to avenge!

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Ipswich Town (h)

by NathStPaul » 27 Aug 2023 09:20

This fixture will forever be known as South Coast Royal's big day out. He's extremely excited to see the Ipswich reserves in action. Hope its all you dreamed of SCR.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 27 Aug 2023 09:24

You are a bit of a saddo OMA-is stalking your job or just your immature hobby?

Not sure what to make of this fixture as our second team has become our first team but it would be good to make some progress.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 27 Aug 2023 09:37

Just one of Ipswich`s starting XI in the first round win over Bristol rovers played against Leeds yesterday.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 27 Aug 2023 09:51

South Coast Royal You are a bit of a saddo OMA-is stalking your job or just your immature hobby?

Not sure what to make of this fixture as our second team has become our first team but it would be good to make some progress.

Thank you for reminding me NSP is OMA. I had both blocked, but could see the post and then realised I wasn't logged in.

Now I can't see them again, it's a much nicer experience!

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 27 Aug 2023 09:57

I believe Camara & Bindon will also miss out, although Bindon should be back for Cambridge

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 27 Aug 2023 10:36

There'll be changes. I do wonder if the transfer listed players could come in to the squad. To repeat what I said in the Exeter thread:
Clyde1998 CBC
Yiadom (Abrefa if fit) - Dean - McIntyre - John Clarke (or possibly NGW as above)
Azeez - Rushesha - Elliott - Mukairo
Ehib (or possibly Carroll) - Vickers

Subs: Button/Bouzanis; Mbengue; Bindon/Abbey; Savage/Wing; Craig; Senga; Tuma; Camara; Knibbs

The Ipswich game is really when I would expect Dean and Elliott, especially, to be given starts and would be the right situation to re-integrate NGW, Carroll, etc. in the starting XI if there's any chance of them playing for us again. You might have Rushesha at RB, with Craig (most likely) playing at CM instead, but Ipswich is when we should make changes IMO - rather than Exeter.

With the Exeter game now having been played and upon having a better look at who's playing for the U21s, I'd guess:

• CBC
  • Yiadom/Abrefa - Dean - Abbey - McIntyre (or NGW)
  • Rushesha - Craig
  • Azeez - Elliott - Tuma
  • Ehib (or Carroll)
Subs:
  • One of: Button; (Bouzanis)
  • Two of: Mbengue; Dorsett; Yiadom/Abrefa; (NGW); (Holmes); Bindon(?)
  • Three of: Savage; Senga; Hutch; Wing(?)
  • Three of: Knibbs; Vickers; Ehib/(Carroll); Mukairo(?); Ejaria(?); Camara(?)

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 27 Aug 2023 15:58

Hoping they have bigger fish to fry and won’t take it too seriously. I’d just play the kids again injuries permitting.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 27 Aug 2023 23:55

South Coast Royal You are a bit of a saddo OMA-is stalking your job or just your immature hobby?

Not at all, just have a memory and remember you saying how much you were looking forward to coming up and supporting Ipswich reserves. Enjoy the game, chump.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Aug 2023 09:28

I'm hoping we tie Wareham down to a deal today and we throw him in tomorrow.

I'd be going.

CBC
Yiadom Dean Dorsett Carson
Rushesha Craig
Tuma Azeez
Ehib Wareham*

*if signed, else I'd stick Azeez up top and bring Elliott in.

The fact that the Cambridge game isn't until the following Monday though may see a side closer to the current first team played or we may see more minutes for those who haven't had it yet.

I don't think we'll see anybody who we hope/want to move on by Friday play in case of injury - they will only be reintegrated to the match day squad if they are still here on 2nd September.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 28 Aug 2023 09:52

NathStPaul

Not at all, just have a memory and remember you saying how much you were looking forward to coming up and supporting Ipswich reserves. Enjoy the game, chump.

I casually mentioned that Ipswich might be worth watching (as opposed to the likes of Cheltenham).
For some daft reason you have upgraded that to "supporting"-you remain as divvy as ever even with your name changes.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Aug 2023 10:41

Stranded I'm hoping we tie Wareham down to a deal today and we throw him in tomorrow.

I'd be going.

CBC
Rushesha Craig
Tuma Azeez
Ehib Wareham*

The fact that the Cambridge game isn't until the following Monday though may see a side closer to the current first team played or we may see more minutes for those who haven't had it yet.

I don't think we'll see anybody who we hope/want to move on by Friday play in case of injury - they will only be reintegrated to the match day squad if they are still here on 2nd September.

Would give Ehib the day off. He’s played lots of minutes so far and arguably our most impt player atm

Looks about right otherwise though would prob start McIntyre and Senga. Sam Paul getting some good mentions in the u21 so maybe worth a go. Or Maragh

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Aug 2023 12:14

Hound
Stranded I'm hoping we tie Wareham down to a deal today and we throw him in tomorrow.

I'd be going.

CBC
Rushesha Craig
Tuma Azeez
Ehib Wareham*

Would give Ehib the day off. He’s played lots of minutes so far and arguably our most impt player atm

Looks about right otherwise though would prob start McIntyre and Senga. Sam Paul getting some good mentions in the u21 so maybe worth a go. Or Maragh

Pretty sure Maragh signed a deal this year meaning he can't play first team.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 28 Aug 2023 14:16

For consistency I'd like to see a team similar to Saturday, although happy to see a couple of changes if not. Another good chance for some players to get some minutes if they haven't been involved much and a chance for the young lads to come in and look to prove a point against someone in the league above again. If we can see CBC, Craig and Abrefa start, that would be nice for me.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Aug 2023 15:16

I think it's important we give as much game time to everyone as possible and always have options fresh and ready in the background in case we need to change it up.

With that in mind.

.......................CBC
Abrefa, Holmes, Dorsett, NGW
Mukairu, Craig, Elliott, Tuma
...............Azeez, Clarke

Bouzanis, McIntyre, Clarke, Savage, Senga, Carroll, Camara/Vickers

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 28 Aug 2023 23:18

skipper

Thank you for reminding me NSP is OMA. I had both blocked, but could see the post and then realised I wasn't logged in.

Now I can't see them again, it's a much nicer experience!

This.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 29 Aug 2023 15:05

Oh my god, Leanne is still crying.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Aug 2023 15:30

I think it's going to be a cracker. Shame I'm not going.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Aug 2023 19:01

9 changes

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Aug 2023 19:02

Two big lumps up front (cough)

125 posts