232 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Cambridge United (a)

by Sutekh » 31 Aug 2023 09:35

When : Monday September 4 2023, 8pm
Where : Abbey Stadium, Newmarket Road, Cambridge, CB5 8LN
Capacity : 8,127

Couple of miseries to try and reverse or improve with this one. Firstly, Reading are on a run of 14 away league games without a win (or 20 away league games failing to score more than the opposition players), secondly the TV curse looms large again, now standing at 8 wins from the last 41 televised games. New territory as well for Reading a I believe this is the first non bank holiday Monday evening league kick off away from home that the club have played.

Trouble is though that Cambridge seem to be doing rather decently despite being a common punditry pick for relegation this time round. They are 10th in the table (a goal or two worse off than the likes of Portsmouth and Derby) and 4 points better off than Reading, having won 3 and lost 2 of their first 5 league games. However they have lost 2 of their last 3 and are the one team to have taken points off Oxford so far.

Ipswich loanee striker Gassam Adahme is already starting to catch the eye along with midfielder Jack Lancaster. They also have their own "wifi password" in Fejiri Okenabirhie plus Sullay Kaikai and Elias Kachunga who will likely be on the bench but are very useful at the lower levels so, overall, another game that won't be anything other than difficult, esp. with all the "luck" that Reading seem to regularly collect in TV away games, still I expect Ruben will have a "plan". Personally I just hope that Nelson can cope with playing at a stadium that's named after him!

The transfer window will have been closed for a whole weekend by the time this games comes round (though Reading will no doubt keep watching the "free agent" market) and Reading may have completed some late business (e.g. Ballard or Scarlett) so could be new faces to consider. Most interestingly will be whether the likes of Jayden Wareham have been signed and whether they'd be involved in the first team?

The six man injury list will hopefully have been reduced by one after Tyler Bindon completes the concussion "protocol" but former Cambridge striker Sam Smith will still be missing likely along with Ejaria, Mukairu, Wing and Camara.

Referee

Darren "back after 7 years away" Drysdale

Previously

19 Mar 2016 > Reading 1-1 Cardiff City
11 Aug 2015 > Colchester United 0-1 Reading (League Cup)
06 Apr 2012 > Reading 2-0 Leeds United
30 Apr 2006 > Reading 2-1 Queen's Park Rangers

Historically

The last visit to the Abbey stadium was almost exactly 21 years ago in September 2002 for a defeat in the league cup but to compensate Matt Upson made his full debut (and scored too!).

The league record along this particular bit of the Newmarket Road isn't too good. The ten league visits so far have seen Reading win just twice while Cambridge have won five. Since Reading's last win at the Abbey (by 1-0 back in February 1994) Reading have lost one and drawn two of the three league games played and have conceded at least once in all three (however they've also scored at least once in all three).

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and go
  2. Sky
  3. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  4. Ring/text a mate for updates
  5. Use a RoyalsTV subscription
  6. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Cambridge United (a)

by NathStPaul » 31 Aug 2023 10:14

Sutekh, you missed the bit about the post game meat up at Ian's house.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 31 Aug 2023 10:52

NathStPaul Sutekh, you missed the bit about the post game meat up at Ian's house.

I think Ian should be left for some alone time with Ptr.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 31 Aug 2023 11:09

Orion1871
NathStPaul Sutekh, you missed the bit about the post game meat up at Ian's house.

I was more concerned by the phrase "meat up" - deliberate mistake or Freudian slip?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 31 Aug 2023 11:10

morganb
Orion1871

I was more concerned by the phrase "meat up" - deliberate mistake or Freudian slip?

I was implying we would all go to Ian's and have sex with each other. You in?

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 31 Aug 2023 11:34

NathStPaul
morganb
Orion1871

I was implying we would all go to Ian's and have sex with each other. You in?

I think Ian should be left for some alone time with Ptr

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 01 Sep 2023 09:41

Think we need some sort of result from this game, otherwise that sinking feeling may begin to become familiar with certain members of the team.

We got to be on our best for this one.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 01 Sep 2023 10:02

Surely we won't lose this one as well

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 01 Sep 2023 10:11

Royal_jimmy Surely we won't lose this one as well

Nice one, Jimbo.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Sep 2023 11:12

Cambridge started well but were apparently dreadful recently. Might be a blip or it might be one of their month long shit spells.

Let's try to make it the latter.

bakerlou

by bakerlou » 01 Sep 2023 15:44

Sutekh ....Reading's last win at the Abbey (by 1-0 back in February 1994)

An act of utter larceny, we were second best all match, IIRC Clive Baskerville gave Shaka 10/10 in the EP after the match and he (Shaka, not Baskerville, for clarity) stopped at least three one-on-ones when utterly isolated from the last defender.

Quinn notched a late winner in front of the travelling loyal Royals.

Happy days.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Sep 2023 16:28

Tough selection this, dunno how he’ll go. Bring back Yiadom and TMc? Keep Dean in or bring back Binden (if he is available?)

Button
Mbengue Dean Abbey TMc
Savage Hutch
Elliot Knibbs
Azeez Big Kelvin E

CBC Yiadom Vickers Binden Craig Carson Tuma

Is my guess

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Sep 2023 19:14

Hound Tough selection this, dunno how he’ll go. Bring back Yiadom and TMc? Keep Dean in or bring back Binden (if he is available?)

Button
Mbengue Dean Abbey TMc
Savage Hutch
Elliot Knibbs
Azeez Big Kelvin E

CBC Yiadom Vickers Binden Craig Carson Tuma

Is my guess

........................Button
Mbengue, Binden, Abbey, Yiadom?
....Elliott, Hutch, Savage, Knibbs
.........Vickers, Ehibhatiomhan

Probs stick with Carson though.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Sep 2023 23:29

Not sure what the latest with Wing, Bindon, Camara and Mukairu is but suddenly we have options again. Assuming none of them make it, would go:

Button
Mbengue
Dean
Abbey
Bola
Hutchinson
Savage
Elliott
Knibbs
Vickers
Ehib

CBC, McIntyre, Yiadom, Craig, Azeez, Tuma, Ballard

Add the aforementioned four back into the squad (plus Smith) and the competition for places seems fairly strong again. On reflection, will be hard for Holmes/NGW to get back into the squad.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 04 Sep 2023 07:32

I’d be happy with a draw tonight and I am really looking forward to this one.

When Exeter beat us they celebrated like they’d won the league. I do wonder if some of the more local ish clubs see us as a bigger scalp and therefore raise their game.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Sep 2023 08:10

Doubt we'll see many changes from Exeter, could see Bindon back in but Dean didn't do much wrong.

If match fit, than Mola may come in at LB but expecting both him and Ballard to be on the bench tonight and may both get 25 mins or so, with an eye to being more involved v Bolton. Ballard will be away with England u19 I think but Mola will then have had 2 weeks to get to know the system.

Draw would be fine tonight but we really need to find an away win quickly - know most of this run is nothing to do with these players but if we get to 5 or 6 games in and still no win, will start to become an issue for them too.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Sep 2023 08:19

Stranded Doubt we'll see many changes from Exeter, could see Bindon back in but Dean didn't do much wrong.

If match fit, than Mola may come in at LB but expecting both him and Ballard to be on the bench tonight and may both get 25 mins or so, with an eye to being more involved v Bolton. Ballard will be away with England u19 I think but Mola will then have had 2 weeks to get to know the system.

Draw would be fine tonight but we really need to find an away win quickly - know most of this run is nothing to do with these players but if we get to 5 or 6 games in and still no win, will start to become an issue for them too.

Yeah, agree with all this but with less confidence in Dean.

We're a bit all or nothing at the moment and on the fine margins we're in could quickly go on a bad run. Our squad is very inexperienced and that could be hard to climb out of. So, a couple of solid draws and an away win are needed sooner rather than later.

This game really could go any way. Both teams blow hot and cold. Cambridge have an ex-Reading player and we have two recently ex-Cambridge. Not faced each other in the league for decades. So there's going to be some points to prove out there.

Impossible to predict.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 Sep 2023 08:45

Not bothered how we do it, but just providing we win that's all that matters tonight. Doesn't have to be anything fancy or even a good performance, just providing we take the points.

I'd be tempted to bring Binden back in if fit and I'd keep Carson at LB for this one with a view to bringing Mola in against Bolton.

I'd like to see Elliot and Savage at the base of the midfield, I just don't think it will happen and Hutch will probably stay there.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Sep 2023 09:26

If Binden's fit it's madness not to play him.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Sep 2023 09:29

Get the feel of the need for a win but it’s still quite a big ask for a team which is still very much in early stages of development. It’s going to take a few months to settle down I think

As said above we have loads of options but for me I can’t see what the genuine first 11/18 is yet

Assuming Wing, Ejaria, Mukairo, Smith will be out until after the break. A lot of experience there

Anything could happen really, expecting us to be very inconsistent for a while

232 posts