MATCHWATCH : Cambridge United (a)

232 posts
72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Cambridge United (a)

by 72 bus » 04 Sep 2023 23:11

under the tin
WestYorksRoyal Need strikers fit. Vickers and Azeez were not suited - a couple of decent balls in where nobody was attacking it. Ballard, Kelvin E and Smith will help us improve.

Selles set the team up wrong from the start.
Two shortish inexperienced players up against Morro and the other Cambridge bloke were never doing to win aerial balls put in (occaisionally) in from the flanks by Carson & Co.

Azeez and Vickers wide with Knibbs central would have made more sense, once savage and Elliot went off we lost all shape (not that we had much in the first place)
Oh and Binden is far better than Dean

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 04 Sep 2023 23:40

God Twitter really is full of gimps. People that think one of worst teams in the champ gets relegated and become world beaters. The team is so young and learning, we’re going to have results like this. I didn’t think it was bad, mostly, but no clue why kelvin didn’t start. I don’t like hutch or Azeez, Carson doesn’t seem ready and I don’t see the point in putting dean in if the “experience” doesn’t help us at least see out games. Rather we started Bindon.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 04 Sep 2023 23:54

CountryRoyal God Twitter really is full of gimps. People that think one of worst teams in the champ gets relegated and become world beaters. The team is so young and learning, we’re going to have results like this. I didn’t think it was bad, mostly, but no clue why kelvin didn’t start. I don’t like hutch or Azeez, Carson doesn’t seem ready and I don’t see the point in putting dean in if the “experience” doesn’t help us at least see out games. Rather we started Bindon.

Emotions are still high and I think whilst it might not have been a battering we didn't look like scoring all evening and were second best. We've also had a slow start to the season with one game where our players outscored the opposition who also had 10 men.

It's looking likely we will be near the bottom of this league as well unfortunately. Hopefully we won't be relegated again.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Sep 2023 00:12

CountryRoyal God Twitter really is full of gimps. People that think one of worst teams in the champ gets relegated and become world beaters. The team is so young and learning, we’re going to have results like this. I didn’t think it was bad, mostly, but no clue why kelvin didn’t start. I don’t like hutch or Azeez, Carson doesn’t seem ready and I don’t see the point in putting dean in if the “experience” doesn’t help us at least see out games. Rather we started Bindon.

Thought Hutch was our best player after Abbey. Savage has been underwhelming after a promising start.

Same conundrum for the midfield though where the movement in the final third just isn’t good enough. You resort to percentage passes over the top or safe sideways passes.

The best teams constantly have the attacking players on the move. It forces the defenders into a choice, to follow the man or maintain the space they’re currently holding. Our attacking players just seem content on standing still and expect the ball to fall for them. We’re a reactive team (even that’s being generous) rather than a proactive team and that’s why we’ve been dire for too long now. Norwood being the example where he wasn’t good enough for 19th placed Reading and yet went onto secure his fourth promotion from the Championship last season. Ironic.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Sep 2023 00:19

WestYorksRoyal We didn't play our game. Seems like they rattled us. Perhaps that Millwall performance was possible in a half empty stadium where the fans didn't care.

I'm not panicking yet as I never expected immediate promotion. But we need to use these 2 weeks well ahead of Bolton.

Millwall committed numbers forward (particularly after our early opener). Probably saw it as a home banker and consequently left us space to soak up the pressure and counter.

Your standard L1 team aren’t going to commit men forward to the same degree. Means we need a bit of guile and creativity to break down these well drilled defences, something we’ve unfortunately lacked so far

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Sep 2023 06:40

Royal_jimmy
WestYorksRoyal
Gunny Fishcake This isn’t really bad yet, we’ve a long way to go before we hit rock bottom , big question is where do we go from there, when ever that may be, it really is very sad

I think we're close to the bottom. The recruitment this summer has been the best in recent memory and aligned to how the manager wants to play. We've barely had a pre season due to off field chaos, the squad are still getting to know each other. We have 3 strikers and we only had one 50% fit.

It was always going to be a slow start this season, but we've seen signs of what we can do. The past 2 games are disappointing, but things take time. I'd also note that we've already played 4 of the current top 6.

Next up are 2 tough games against Bolton and Blackpool, so I expect more crazed reactions if we get a bad result there.

But I think we will turn the corner this season, finish strongly and kick on next year. We need to hold our nerve and see the process through. Or we can go back to the managerial merry-go-round and rely upon the new manager bounce to keep us up each year, until eventually it doesn't.

We might turn a corner but the midfield that starts should change. Savage and Hutchinson don't look great as a pairing. Feel we lack balance in the team. We don't concede lots which is positive but is that because we've played shit opposition or because our defence is genuinely good?

We lost to a really bang average side tonight, and to be fair to Cambridge they deserved it. We're shit and need to improve and quickly.

This is what I mean. "Need to improve and quickly". Or what? We sack the manager and tear everything up? Yes we need to improve, but we shouldn't expect an instant turnaround. As for Cambridge being "bang average", this is L1 now. They're not promotion candidates, but they have started the season well and are strong at home. Only top 6 sides should be targeting a win here.

We should be giving this process a chance until January as a bare minimum. And if by the end of the season we look good some weeks but still have a performance like last night in us others, that's enough. We need a clear style and identity; the consistency to win the league comes with playing together more as a team and experience. Selles only gets sacked if relegation looks likely after 15 - 20 games, or we're still playing like that most weeks at the end of the season.

It's frustrating. I was so fuming it took me ages to get to sleep last night. Year after year of shit football; the same away days in L1 as the Championship. But we need to break our downward spiral, and I think the summer's recruitment has given us a chance. Now it simply needs time.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 05 Sep 2023 08:52

Snowflake Royal I'll be honest, I'd be surprised if Ejaria plays again.

Fingers crossed.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 05 Sep 2023 08:55

WestYorksRoyal
Gunny Fishcake This isn’t really bad yet, we’ve a long way to go before we hit rock bottom , big question is where do we go from there, when ever that may be, it really is very sad

I think we're close to the bottom. The recruitment this summer has been the best in recent memory and aligned to how the manager wants to play. We've barely had a pre season due to off field chaos, the squad are still getting to know each other. We have 3 strikers and we only had one 50% fit.

It was always going to be a slow start this season, but we've seen signs of what we can do. The past 2 games are disappointing, but things take time. I'd also note that we've already played 4 of the current top 6.

Next up are 2 tough games against Bolton and Blackpool, so I expect more crazed reactions if we get a bad result there.

But I think we will turn the corner this season, finish strongly and kick on next year. We need to hold our nerve and see the process through. Or we can go back to the managerial merry-go-round and rely upon the new manager bounce to keep us up each year, until eventually it doesn't.

The RTGS are back.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 05 Sep 2023 08:56

I thought Nelson Abbey was great, he will be a Premier League footballer in a couple of years time*.

*Not with us

kirkrich

by kirkrich » 08 Sep 2023 16:14

Just got a vid from my eldest who lives in Hainan, an island off China. He is in a bar watching us getting beaten by Cambridge!

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 Sep 2023 16:20

NathStPaul I thought Nelson Abbey was great, he will be a Premier League footballer in a couple of years time*.

*Not with us

If he can bring in a good fee that's fine. What's the going rate for top L1 talent without Championship experience? £5m or so? I think his contract is up next year so it's a situation we need to fix.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Sep 2023 16:23

WestYorksRoyal
NathStPaul I thought Nelson Abbey was great, he will be a Premier League footballer in a couple of years time*.

*Not with us

If he can bring in a good fee that's fine. What's the going rate for top L1 talent without Championship experience? £5m or so? I think his contract is up next year so it's a situation we need to fix.

Preferably without an underwhelming release clause!

232 posts