MATCHWATCH : Exeter City (a)

285 posts
Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Exeter City (a)

by Pepe the Horseman » 20 Sep 2023 21:03

scumbag
Pepe the Horseman For anyone that wants to get carried away, we're 16/1 to win the EFL Trophy and 12/1 to finish top 6 in the league.

Not sure where you're getting 12s from? Betfair is 16/5 for top 6

Sky Bet

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 20 Sep 2023 22:02

Worth a cheeky fiver

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 20 Sep 2023 22:10

I couldn't see any mention of the records broken by last night's win; if there is a thread somewhere, please re-direct this post.

1. This was Reading biggest ever away victory.
2. This is the biggest ever victory in the EFL Cup since its inception in 1984
3. It is Reading's biggest win in 122 years (Chesham Utd in the FA Cup, 1901)

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 20 Sep 2023 22:40

Snowflake Royal
3points
YorkshireRoyal99
There is a balancing act in it for sure I'd say, but as mentioned, displaying that attitude and being willing to give an opportunity to a lot of the U21 players will give the club a lot of confidence as everyone will feel like they will have a chance. As said, can understand Ince's point of not wanting to rely on the youngsters considering our position, but also that their is no harm in giving them a chance if things aren't going so well.

We should also remember the academy players are all a year older, stronger etc than under Ince and we’re playing at a lower level. Mbengue was very Green last season, Bindon wasn’t here. We’ve made some good signings for the academy from other clubs too. Not sure how many have come all the way through our academy from a young age (Abbey, Kelvin E, Vickers, Abrefa, CBC, ) so academy doing OK at potentially producing players from a young age. But we’ve also lost a few in recent times to other clubs

They're a year older and stronger than the beginning of last season. They're only actually 3 months older and stronger at the start of this season versus the end of last.

I agree

scumbag

by scumbag » 20 Sep 2023 22:59

Hiram K Hackenbacker
Snowflake Royal
3points We should also remember the academy players are all a year older, stronger etc than under Ince and we’re playing at a lower level. Mbengue was very Green last season, Bindon wasn’t here. We’ve made some good signings for the academy from other clubs too. Not sure how many have come all the way through our academy from a young age (Abbey, Kelvin E, Vickers, Abrefa, CBC, ) so academy doing OK at potentially producing players from a young age. But we’ve also lost a few in recent times to other clubs

They're a year older and stronger than the beginning of last season. They're only actually 3 months older and stronger at the start of this season versus the end of last.

I agree

Never change.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Sep 2023 23:01

Hound
Snowflake Royal
3points We should also remember the academy players are all a year older, stronger etc than under Ince and we’re playing at a lower level. Mbengue was very Green last season, Bindon wasn’t here. We’ve made some good signings for the academy from other clubs too. Not sure how many have come all the way through our academy from a young age (Abbey, Kelvin E, Vickers, Abrefa, CBC, ) so academy doing OK at potentially producing players from a young age. But we’ve also lost a few in recent times to other clubs

Who do we think Ince/Hunt should have played end of last year?

Tough one but Abbey has shown enough that he would have been better than the assorted crap we had at the back last year. He did get a few minutes but not enough

Kelv - said at the time that he should have been in instead of Meite or Joao who were unfit/out of form/given up

Camara probably

Craig? Was he fit, can’t remember. But Jeff was woeful at the end and he couldn’t have done any worse

Azeez wasn’t fit. Abrefa over Yiadom? Prob not. CBC - no. Senga - prob not ready based on what we’ve seen.

In summary we prob couldn’t have changed things too much. Abbey/Ehib prob the main ones who should have played more

Generally a few more sub appearances for a lot of them given how little Ince used his bench. But Abbey, Camara and Ehibhatiomhan are the main ones as you say. Abrefa and Craig next. And of course NGW should have been ahead of Rahman but isn’t one of the Academy.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 20 Sep 2023 23:41

Mr Angry I couldn't see any mention of the records broken by last night's win; if there is a thread somewhere, please re-direct this post.

*EFL Trophy

Also must be Exeter's biggest home defeat.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Sep 2023 07:46

Pepe the Horseman
Mr Angry I couldn't see any mention of the records broken by last night's win; if there is a thread somewhere, please re-direct this post.

*EFL Trophy

Also must be Exeter's biggest home defeat.

Indeed it is, it also equalled their biggest ever defeat which was by 9-0 at Northampton in 1947 and again at Notts County in 1958.

The Cube

by The Cube » 21 Sep 2023 07:52

Chesham Generals, 1900 (it was before the merger).

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 21 Sep 2023 08:13

The Cube

It's also our biggest win against a professional football club. Chesham United were a non-league side.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Sep 2023 08:18

It wouod be really really nice to spank Swindon to a similar level wouldn’t it.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Sep 2023 08:26

Hound
Snowflake Royal

Tough one but Abbey has shown enough that he would have been better than the assorted crap we had at the back last year. He did get a few minutes but not enough

Kelv - said at the time that he should have been in instead of Meite or Joao who were unfit/out of form/given up

Camara probably

Craig? Was he fit, can’t remember. But Jeff was woeful at the end and he couldn’t have done any worse

Azeez wasn’t fit. Abrefa over Yiadom? Prob not. CBC - no. Senga - prob not ready based on what we’ve seen.

In summary we prob couldn’t have changed things too much. Abbey/Ehib prob the main ones who should have played more

In terms of starting games more often, probably Abbey and Kelvin E from what I've seen. Perhaps Camara could have had more of an involvement than he did. Abrefa I thought looked the best out of the lot last season, surprised he hasn't seen as much game time this time around.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Sep 2023 08:28

Yeah, Abrefa has been harmed by moving Mbengue to RB. Then again, Mbengue's chances elsewhere have been screwed by Abbey and Bindon rampaging onto the scene.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Sep 2023 08:31

Snowflake Royal Yeah, Abrefa has been harmed by moving Mbengue to RB. Then again, Mbengue's chances elsewhere have been screwed by Abbey and Bindon rampaging onto the scene.

I don't think Mbengue has been poor at RB though either in fairness this season so far. Growing into that position more, looked like a rabbit in headlights at times last season when playing there or at RWB.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Sep 2023 08:37

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Yeah, Abrefa has been harmed by moving Mbengue to RB. Then again, Mbengue's chances elsewhere have been screwed by Abbey and Bindon rampaging onto the scene.

I don't think Mbengue has been poor at RB though either in fairness this season so far. Growing into that position more, looked like a rabbit in headlights at times last season when playing there or at RWB.

Yeah he's improving and doing fine. I just can't shake his positional issues last season and can't really see him as a full back.

We might not have to buy a defender for a long time with Abrefa, Carson, Abbey, Bindon, Mbengue and Dorsett. Plus John Clarke, and McIntyre and Holmes haven't even entered their prime yet. Then Maragh(sp?) is also rated, plus Strickland.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Sep 2023 08:44

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Yeah he's improving and doing fine. I just can't shake his positional issues last season and can't really see him as a full back.

We might not have to buy a defender for a long time with Abrefa, Carson, Abbey, Bindon, Mbengue and Dorsett. Plus John Clarke, and McIntyre and Holmes haven't even entered their prime yet. Then Maragh(sp?) is also rated, plus Strickland.

Not sure whether Dorsett will end up sticking around after his current contract, just based on the limited appearances he's had in the first team so far. I suppose we could keep him as a squad option but I reckon he might want to get some regular football somewhere.

But yes, in the main we've got a solid core of young defenders coming through that could be here for a number of years and if we sell them on, providing we can get good value for them with a good sell on percentage, then we should be doing ok financially on that side as well. Worst case scenario is having contracts run down and we lose them on a free, again.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Sep 2023 08:51

Strickland was on the coach to Exeter apparently as the back up spare man

Regular captain of the u21 I think.

I do think Dorsett seems just off the level. Not a bad player but don’t expect him to be renewed

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Sep 2023 08:52

I've said elsewhere I could see Mbengue in midfield. Energy, strength and good technically enough to do the basics alongside Savage, Wing or Elliott. Hutchinson is currently our only option there offering physicality, so give Mbengue a go and it's good for Abrefa at RB too.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 21 Sep 2023 11:01

Hound
Snowflake Royal

Camara probably

All very well in hindsight (albeit that some on here were advocating giving the youngsters more games) saying what should have been done.

Firstly we had a manager under pressure to keep us up and in those circumstances they nearly always turn to their experienced players and (as with Mourinho at the higher level) have no great interest in the longer term future of the club and its playing staff.

Secondly, the obvious thing is that we are now playing at a lower level so are judging these young players on how they are performing at that level rather than at Championship level, for example how might Abbey have coped with Jutkiewicz of Birmingham, McBurnie of Sheffield Utd or Morris of Luton?
We will never know of course and it might be a good thing that some of these youngsters weren't part of a relegation side.

The good thing, on which I think we and most fans agree, is that almost by accident young players this year in particular will be given every chance to shine.
Whether any will ever progress further remains to be seen but already Abbey and Elliott especially IMHO look the most likely.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Sep 2023 12:46

Royal_jimmy
The Cube

It's also our biggest win against a professional football club. Chesham United were a non-league side.

As were we at the time.

I think the argument about blooding the youngsters last year is a bit moot. They're a year older, a level lower and, tbh, there's less pressure. Throwing them in to last season's shitshow could have broken them and in hindsight, it was maybe a good thing to cocoon them from that and let them develop as a group.

285 posts