MATCHWATCH : Blackpool (a)

221 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Blackpool (a)

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Sep 2023 12:36

We do have an abundance of riches in the attacking midfielder / winger area.

Azeez, Elliot, Camara, Knibbs, Mukairu, Vickers... I feel all of them have the quality to be first team regulars at this level right now.

Combine that with Smith, Ehibhatiomhan and Ballard and our cup overfloweth.

Same at CB.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 22 Sep 2023 15:14

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Royal_jimmy Blackpool is never an easy place to go. It'll be tough and a point would be a decent result. I think we can win there but it'll be a tough game. 3rd game in a week will test the fitness of the players so I wouldn't be surprised if we're a bit off of it.

I'd go for:

Button, Yiadom, Abbey, Bindon, Mola, Savage, Elliott, Knibbs, Vickers, Mukairu, Ehibatiomhan

Bench: Pereira, Dean, McIntyre, Craig, Azeez, Wareham, Ballard

We'd be a bit open though that's the weakness of that team, but plenty of goals in it.

Not sure 3rd game in a week is such a big deal when you made 11 changes to the starting line up between the first 2 and could make as many again tomorrow - though I think we'll see a mix of the sides from the last 2 games.

Hutchinson will play and rightly so, think he had his best game in a Reading shirt against Bolton and if he stays fit could have a big job as the screen in front of the defence

I'm expecting the side to be a long the lines of

Button
Yiadom Bindon Abbey Mola
Hutchinson Savage
Knibbs Mukairu
Ballard Ehibatiomhan

Bench CBC, Dean, McIntyre, Azeez, Craig, Elliott, Vickers

However, any of those on the bench could start and we may even see one/both of Smith/Wing make the squad as they are both close to fitness.

You think Azeez will be dropped? He terrorised Bolton at times

Hardly "terrorised"-he ran about a bit more than usual and had a couple of shots that weren't his normal high and wide.
I am surprised that nobody has selected Elliott as a starter.
IMHO this player is somebody to build a team around and he has more about him than any of our other midfielders.
I have not been as excited about a midfield signing since Sidwell and before that Osborn other than a few minutes of Ejaria when he first came.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 22 Sep 2023 15:36

I would like to see Craig given a chance ahead of Hutchinson. Partly, because Hutch’s time on the pitch needs to be managed, but also because Craig has been quality whenever I have seen him play. He seems to go under the radar a bit but his passing and tenacity on the ball is great.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Sep 2023 15:40

South Coast Royal
Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Not sure 3rd game in a week is such a big deal when you made 11 changes to the starting line up between the first 2 and could make as many again tomorrow - though I think we'll see a mix of the sides from the last 2 games.

Hutchinson will play and rightly so, think he had his best game in a Reading shirt against Bolton and if he stays fit could have a big job as the screen in front of the defence

I'm expecting the side to be a long the lines of

Button
Yiadom Bindon Abbey Mola
Hutchinson Savage
Knibbs Mukairu
Ballard Ehibatiomhan

Bench CBC, Dean, McIntyre, Azeez, Craig, Elliott, Vickers

However, any of those on the bench could start and we may even see one/both of Smith/Wing make the squad as they are both close to fitness.

You think Azeez will be dropped? He terrorised Bolton at times

Hardly "terrorised"-he ran about a bit more than usual and had a couple of shots that weren't his normal high and wide.
IMHO this player is somebody to build a team around and he has more about him than any of our other midfielders.
I have not been as excited about a midfield signing since Sidwell and before that Osborn other than a few minutes of Ejaria when he first came.

I selected Elliott as a starter…yes an easy choice for me that, looks the real deal

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 Sep 2023 15:43

Hound
South Coast Royal
Snowflake Royal You think Azeez will be dropped? He terrorised Bolton at times

I selected Elliott as a starter…yes an easy choice for me that, looks the real deal

Likewise. Disappointed against Cambridge in his last league start, but it was a poor team performance generally. Hard decision on who to drop, but it would be Azeez for me.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 22 Sep 2023 15:54

Have we seen any evidence that Selles picks his team based on the opposition rather that picking the team based on the form/fitness of our own players?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Sep 2023 17:26

morganb Have we seen any evidence that Selles picks his team based on the opposition rather that picking the team based on the form/fitness of our own players?

Nope

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Sep 2023 17:35

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal We're capable of winning. I know we have a terrible away record, but most of these players only lost to Exeter and Cambridge while being involved in big cup away wins. We need to stop talking about this away record as if it's a millstone around their necks.

I think we'll win tomorrow because we're currently a better team than Blackpool.

I too think we have a good chance of winning - looking at Blackpool's home record this season they are W2 D2 and they have failed to score in 2 of those games (scoring twice in both their wins) - as if often the case, first goal will be key and if we can get it, then this team has enough about them to go on and win.

Blackpool currently on a run of 1 win in 6.

2 wins in their last 5 games actually (they won at Burton and beat Wigan in their last home game), crashed 2-0 at Wiccum last time out though.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Sep 2023 17:39

Hound
morganb Have we seen any evidence that Selles picks his team based on the opposition rather that picking the team based on the form/fitness of our own players?

Nope

Selles says he has a system and way of playing and he will not change from that, personnel will change based on availability but good old 4-2-2-2 shall remain his mantra. So when Reading are being swamped in midfield don't expect the management to put an extra midfielder on.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 22 Sep 2023 18:54

blythspartan I would like to see Craig given a chance ahead of Hutchinson. Partly, because Hutch’s time on the pitch needs to be managed, but also because Craig has been quality whenever I have seen him play. He seems to go under the radar a bit but his passing and tenacity on the ball is great.

Agreed - unfortunately Craig, Rushesha and Wareham all start for the U21’s this evening so it’s highly likely they won’t be involved tomorrow.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 22 Sep 2023 23:50

Hound
South Coast Royal
Snowflake Royal You think Azeez will be dropped? He terrorised Bolton at times

Yeah likewise, for Azeez in the last game, but Azeez probably had his best game of the season for us so what do I know.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Sep 2023 10:29

Elliot is great. Would still like to see him start in the middle at some point.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 23 Sep 2023 11:31

I wonder if Elliot and Savage could work as a pair in the middle of the park potentially. Yes, a bit inexperienced but no reason why we can't bring Hutchinson on during games to help shore that up. Both Elliot and Savage have quality as well, Savage is capable of just sitting in front and protecting where Elliot can get forward a little bit more and support attacks.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 23 Sep 2023 12:14

blythspartan I would like to see Craig given a chance ahead of Hutchinson. Partly, because Hutch’s time on the pitch needs to be managed, but also because Craig has been quality whenever I have seen him play. He seems to go under the radar a bit but his passing and tenacity on the ball is great.

Craig played a full match Tuesday. I'd go with Hutch

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 23 Sep 2023 13:53

I hope we don’t win 9-0 again, it’ll get a bit too samey. 4 or 5 would be fine.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Sep 2023 14:01

Elliott in Knibbs out

Wing on bench :shock:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Sep 2023 14:02

Get confused with Reading's team sheet now, expect to see the defenders at the top.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Sep 2023 14:05

Wow, surprised to see Knibbs dropped already. Probably reasonable based on performance. He's not been involved as much as you'd hope.

Presume Azeez will go left and Elliot right...

Strong bench.
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 23 Sep 2023 14:06, edited 1 time in total.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Sep 2023 14:06

If Mola plays adequately that is a great team!

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 23 Sep 2023 14:53

Matty Carson in the travelling party and just done a few sprints same as last Saturday.

221 posts