221 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Blackpool (a)

by Sutekh » 20 Sep 2023 09:28

When : Saturday September 23 2023, 3pm
Where : Bloomfield Road, Seasiders Way, Blackpool, FY1 6JJ
Capacity : 17,338

Expectation is for one of the hardest and most difficult games in the division on Saturday, particularly given Reading's none too good record at this resort coupled with the incredible current away league record for the club of P15, W0, D2, L13.

Like Reading Blackpool were relegated last season so there is a known quantity here in what to expect. The Tangerines have started the season equally as well as Reading (all points have come at home, away they're worse than Reading this season as they haven't even scored) but lie 16th rather than equal 20th (21st) thanks to the lack of Chinese owners. They've won 2 and drawn 2 of their 4 home games so far but find it difficult to score goals (just 4 in the league) but equally they struggle to concede and like Reading have only let in 6 which overall might suggest an uninteresting 0-0 might be what to expect from this one.

Star striker Jerry Yates left for Swansea in the summer but Jordan Rhodes arrived on loan. In addition they beat Reading off for the services of Jensen Weir. Shane Lavery is probably the striker to stop while midfielders Alex Lanksheer and Kenny Dougall could be ones to watch.

Injuries will mean no involvement for Lewis Wing, Mamadou Camara, Sam Smith or Ovie Ejaria and I'm sure I've seen reports of yet another concussion floating about which if true means that Reading will also lack the services of a convent or monastery supervised by an abbess or abbot.

Referee

Tom Reeves

Previously

Nothing known

Historically

Bloomfield Road has not been particularly hospitable to Reading down the years, the first 5 games played at the venue saw 0 points returned and 22 goals conceded (including the heaviest defeat there of 7-0) so there is something by way of a precedent already set for crap experiences in this part of Lancashire.

There have been 22 league visits in total to this part of the coast and Reading have won on 5 occasions while losing on 12 but haven’t won on any of the last 7 league visits (earning just 2 points) so a point would probably be a good outcome for the club.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalsTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Blackpool (a)

by NathStPaul » 20 Sep 2023 09:30

Tom Reeves would appear to be quite the man of mystery.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Sep 2023 18:31

I don't really understand why an away game against a team in 14th with one win in six is expected to be one of the hardest games in the division. It seems more like a pretty bang average challenge at worst.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 20 Sep 2023 18:45

Record is poor there but I saw an excellent 4-0 win there under Mark McGhee, probably ranks in my top 5 of best performances I've seen from us, certainly on the road.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 20 Sep 2023 19:01

Anybody's guess on the line up. I'm going:

Button
Yiadom Binden Abbey Carson
Savage Hutchinson
Elliott Knibbs
Ballard Ehibhatiomhan

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Sep 2023 19:08

Definitely a very winnable game

Weird mix of our low expectations based on away league form but high expectations based on the Bolton win and the 9-0

Serious headache for Selles picking this one but think it’ll be roughly the Bolton team with a few changes. Wing and smith definitely out?

Button
Yiadom Abbey Binden Mola
Savage hutch
Elliott Azeez
Ehibhatiomhan Ballard

Cbc then 6 of (Vickers Dean Knibbs Smith Wing Mbengue Mukairo, McIntyre)

No doubts some injuries picked up. And that seems very harsh not to have Carson, Rushesha or Craig

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 20 Sep 2023 20:12

Hound Definitely a very winnable game

Weird mix of our low expectations based on away league form but high expectations based on the Bolton win and the 9-0

Serious headache for Selles picking this one but think it’ll be roughly the Bolton team with a few changes. Wing and smith definitely out?

Button
Yiadom Abbey Binden Mola
Savage hutch
Elliott Azeez
Ehibhatiomhan Ballard

No doubts some injuries picked up. And that seems very harsh not to have Carson, Rushesha or Craig

Pretty much 100% spot on, left back is still a problem position! Mola hasn't been great but needs time and Carson was terrific last night and is so dangerous going forward!! Savage and Hutch for me is the big issue? would love for Craig to get a run in midfield to see what he can do, as something is just not quite right with the current pairing.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 20 Sep 2023 20:15

Blackpool is never an easy place to go. It'll be tough and a point would be a decent result. I think we can win there but it'll be a tough game. 3rd game in a week will test the fitness of the players so I wouldn't be surprised if we're a bit off of it.

I'd go for:

Button, Yiadom, Abbey, Bindon, Mola, Savage, Elliott, Knibbs, Vickers, Mukairu, Ehibatiomhan

Bench: Pereira, Dean, McIntyre, Craig, Azeez, Wareham, Ballard

We'd be a bit open though that's the weakness of that team, but plenty of goals in it.
Last edited by Royal_jimmy on 20 Sep 2023 20:18, edited 1 time in total.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 20 Sep 2023 20:17

Crowbar6753
Hound Definitely a very winnable game

Button
Yiadom Abbey Binden Mola
Savage hutch
Elliott Azeez
Ehibhatiomhan Ballard

Pretty much 100% spot on, left back is still a problem position! Mola hasn't been great but needs time and Carson was terrific last night and is so dangerous going forward!! Savage and Hutch for me is the big issue? would love for Craig to get a run in midfield to see what he can do, as something is just not quite right with the current pairing.

I don't think Hutchinson and Savage can play together, they're both a bit too similar in that neither of them are creative. We need to try Elliott with Savage and Hutchinson should be the experienced backup.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Sep 2023 23:15

Savage played quite well with Rushesha in preseason.

I think Savage needs someone either much more creative, or who will hustle much more. Him.and Hutch together is just a bit static and passive. Elliot, Wing, Rushesha, Craig... worth giving any of them a go. Although Elliot might be a bit too lightweight and attacking so might be bettered paired with Hutch.

I expect Selles to go with the same team as Bolton. Mola is a weak link but will probably get at least one more game probably two. Vickers, Elliot, McIntyre and Mbengue are knocking at the door hard, but I can't see him dropping Knibbs, Azeez had a good game and for all Vickers ran the show against Exeter, Ballard also scored two goals.

And I don't think he's going to drop Savage who got a lot of plaudits against Bolton, or Hutch who brings some much needed experience, cynicism and nasty to the side.

Genuinely no idea what our best side is if everyone is fit.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 22 Sep 2023 09:51

I expect he'll make a lot of changes for tomorrow. I'd love to see Mukairu start, he oozes quality

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Sep 2023 10:04

Royal_jimmy Blackpool is never an easy place to go. It'll be tough and a point would be a decent result. I think we can win there but it'll be a tough game. 3rd game in a week will test the fitness of the players so I wouldn't be surprised if we're a bit off of it.

I'd go for:

Button, Yiadom, Abbey, Bindon, Mola, Savage, Elliott, Knibbs, Vickers, Mukairu, Ehibatiomhan

We'd be a bit open though that's the weakness of that team, but plenty of goals in it.

Not sure 3rd game in a week is such a big deal when you made 11 changes to the starting line up between the first 2 and could make as many again tomorrow - though I think we'll see a mix of the sides from the last 2 games.

Hutchinson will play and rightly so, think he had his best game in a Reading shirt against Bolton and if he stays fit could have a big job as the screen in front of the defence

I'm expecting the side to be a long the lines of

Button
Yiadom Bindon Abbey Mola
Hutchinson Savage
Knibbs Mukairu
Ballard Ehibatiomhan

Bench CBC, Dean, McIntyre, Azeez, Craig, Elliott, Vickers

However, any of those on the bench could start and we may even see one/both of Smith/Wing make the squad as they are both close to fitness.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 22 Sep 2023 10:07

It is really important for our season that we go up there and get a positive result, will really get the players confidence up to go to a tough place and get something. I'd be more than happy with a battling draw tbh.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Sep 2023 11:58

I'd take a draw but we really need to get the monkey off our back quickly when it comes to away wins. Would be good to get tomorrow before a couple of "easier" trips - will take the pressure off that will naturally build the deeper into the season we go without a win.

But with 3 defeats to date, getting any result would be beneficial - getting out of the bottom 4 would be a bonus.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 Sep 2023 12:04

We're capable of winning. I know we have a terrible away record, but most of these players only lost to Exeter and Cambridge while being involved in big cup away wins. We need to stop talking about this away record as if it's a millstone around their necks.

I think we'll win tomorrow because we're currently a better team than Blackpool.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Sep 2023 12:15

WestYorksRoyal We're capable of winning. I know we have a terrible away record, but most of these players only lost to Exeter and Cambridge while being involved in big cup away wins. We need to stop talking about this away record as if it's a millstone around their necks.

I think we'll win tomorrow because we're currently a better team than Blackpool.

The longer it goes on though the more it gets mentioned.

It's definitely a game we can win, although taking a point against a side you'd expect to be one of the better sides in the league would also be a positive, nicking a win would be fantastic though and would back up a very good week for the group, something that would really lift the mood. To take 3 wins from the fixtures we've had, including a 9-0 (granted in a different sort of game) would be a big confidence booster I think.

It's tough to pick though. Carson may end up getting a start although Mola maybe needs a bit more time to get up to speed. The midfield is a bit of a problem area though, needs someone like Wing in there once he is back. Ballard looks like a threat up top.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Sep 2023 12:23

WestYorksRoyal We're capable of winning. I know we have a terrible away record, but most of these players only lost to Exeter and Cambridge while being involved in big cup away wins. We need to stop talking about this away record as if it's a millstone around their necks.

I too think we have a good chance of winning - looking at Blackpool's home record this season they are W2 D2 and they have failed to score in 2 of those games (scoring twice in both their wins) - as if often the case, first goal will be key and if we can get it, then this team has enough about them to go on and win.

Blackpool currently on a run of 1 win in 6.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Sep 2023 12:25

Stranded
Royal_jimmy Blackpool is never an easy place to go. It'll be tough and a point would be a decent result. I think we can win there but it'll be a tough game. 3rd game in a week will test the fitness of the players so I wouldn't be surprised if we're a bit off of it.

I'd go for:

Not sure 3rd game in a week is such a big deal when you made 11 changes to the starting line up between the first 2 and could make as many again tomorrow - though I think we'll see a mix of the sides from the last 2 games.

Hutchinson will play and rightly so, think he had his best game in a Reading shirt against Bolton and if he stays fit could have a big job as the screen in front of the defence

Button
Yiadom Bindon Abbey Mola
Hutchinson Savage
Knibbs Mukairu
Ballard Ehibatiomhan

However, any of those on the bench could start and we may even see one/both of Smith/Wing make the squad as they are both close to fitness.

You think Azeez will be dropped? He terrorised Bolton at times

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Sep 2023 12:27

Snowflake Royal
Stranded

I'd go for:

Button
Yiadom Bindon Abbey Mola
Hutchinson Savage
Knibbs Mukairu
Ballard Ehibatiomhan

I think he may be - I feel him and Mukairu are playing for the same spot currently and whilst Azeez terrified Bolton, Mukairu did the same in midweek (against a much weaker side) and scored a couple.

It could easily be Knibbs to miss out with Azeez in.

Who knows really but its nice to go into games with options that you feel don't really weaken the side.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Sep 2023 12:30

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

Button
Yiadom Bindon Abbey Mola
Hutchinson Savage
Knibbs Mukairu
Ballard Ehibatiomhan

I think he may be - I feel him and Mukairu are playing for the same spot currently and whilst Azeez terrified Bolton, Mukairu did the same in midweek (against a much weaker side) and scored a couple.

It could easily be Knibbs to miss out with Azeez in.

Who knows really but its nice to go into games with options that you feel don't really weaken the side.

My feel is its Knibbs and Mukairu competing and Mukairu possubly deserves the nod, but Knibbs still has seniority.

I think Azeez is up against Elliot.

221 posts