Away form

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Away form

by Clyde1998 » 25 Sep 2023 19:12

Sanguine Had a look at this as I remember us being particularly useless away from home in my first full season watching Reading, which was our last at Elm Park and relegation into League One.

In 1997/98, we lost our last ten away games, scoring just four goals. Our overall away record that season was 3-5-15, for 18 points on our travels.

Fast forward however to 1998/99 in the third tier, and we lost our first five away games, taking our streak to 15 (I have a feeling the English league record is 20-something). At that point, our last 22 away league games read 2-3-17, for eight points. There may be worse examples in our history, but our current abysmal form is certainly the worst away league run, of 22 games, in the last 25 years or so.

Of course we broke our streak in true unfathomable fashion - we won 2-0 at Walsall in late September 1998 part of a run of just one away defeat in 13 games spanning nearly six months.

Having a look at Royals Record, it appears our longest run without an away win in the league was 21 in 1952-53 - nearly a full calendar year between away wins in the league. I think we're at 16 in a row at the moment - to exceed that we've have to not win away until after the Lincoln match in December.

I don't know what the record for failing to win away is, but Derby managed 25 in a row which included their 2007-08 Premier League season - and the three away matches before and after that season (they did win the play-offs away before promotion, so it may only be 22 whether or not that should be included). Their overall record was 0-6-19 in that time.

In terms of consecutive losses, our record is 15 in a row starting in the 1997-98 season - as you've mentioned.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 25 Sep 2023 19:51

I guess another question is which team in League 1 has the worst home record at the moment (and what is it)? Surely that game (whenever it is) is the most likely match for us to win away?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 25 Sep 2023 21:57

Snowflake Royal
SouthDownsRoyal
The Cap
Mate (SouthDownsRoyal), we get it. You want Selles out. You've put it on enough threads. Can't you take up tiddliwinks or something?

Oh dear.

Do you really think when I write Selles out every time I mean it and am bothered about it? :lol:

I, like most, are now are numb to what goes on at the football club. I support the club, always will do but whether Selles is manager or my next door neighbour I really am not fussed.

I wish you'd give it a rest. Its not funny. Its not original. It adds nothing of value. It just encourages shit posting and people getting in arguments about it. There's enough bad feeling and resentment to how we've been doing the last decade without you making it marginally worse.

And not everyone knows all the memes and posters by style. You just make yourself look stupid(er).

Fair enough m8

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 26 Sep 2023 08:17

morganb I guess another question is which team in League 1 has the worst home record at the moment (and what is it)? Surely that game (whenever it is) is the most likely match for us to win away?

Current;ly Cheltenham who we play 29/12 or Stevenage who we play 10 days later, both currently on 0 home points... depressing to think on top of everything else going on, that this is what it has come to.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular

by Skin » 26 Sep 2023 08:23

It also appears we didn't 'kick on' from putting 9 past Exeter... BUT WE DID SCORE AWAY at Blackpool. Only the second away goal of the league campaign. Look for the positives.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 26 Sep 2023 10:02

Skin
morganb I guess another question is which team in League 1 has the worst home record at the moment (and what is it)? Surely that game (whenever it is) is the most likely match for us to win away?

Current;ly Cheltenham who we play 29/12 or Stevenage who we play 10 days later, both currently on 0 home points... depressing to think on top of everything else going on, that this is what it has come to.

Cheltenham and Fleetwood.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 26 Sep 2023 10:12

SouthDownsRoyal Fair enough m8

Fine as far as I'm concerned. Lightens the place up and most know what's what. If people get uptight and anal about stuff it's their problem. You don't need to tread on eggshells.

And don't worry, stupid people are incapable of winding people up so you're clearly not that.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 26 Sep 2023 13:53

Millsy

Fine as far as I'm concerned. Lightens the place up and most know what's what. If people get uptight and anal about stuff it's their problem. You don't need to tread on eggshells.

And don't worry, stupid people are incapable of winding people up so you're clearly not that.

SouthDownsRoyal and Millsy OUT! :wink:

Skin
Hob Nob Regular

by Skin » 26 Sep 2023 13:58

windermereROYAL
Skin

Cheltenham and Fleetwood.

:oops: my bad

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 27 Sep 2023 08:51

morganb
Millsy

You can’t say that m9!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 27 Sep 2023 13:06

SouthDownsRoyal
morganb
Millsy

You can’t say that m9!

8000 posts. Congrats.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 29 Sep 2023 09:25

Millsy
SouthDownsRoyal
morganb