BFTG - Burton

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

BFTG - Burton

by PieEater » 30 Sep 2023 19:13

Well that was a terrible game that we should have won. Burton offered nothing but we weren't able to break them down.
I have to think that we'd have won that without the protest.

We played better at Blackpool but went in 3-0 down at HT, so I guess that's progress, but we really weren't on it today.

I have to wonder about Selles, does he know how he wants to play and what his best side is? It seems he is cycling players around to teach them a lesson for previous mistakes. ie no sign of Hutchison.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Burton

by Royal_jimmy » 30 Sep 2023 19:16

Any draw at home in this league is a poor result regardless of the performance

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 30 Sep 2023 19:30

PieEater Well that was a terrible game that we should have won. Burton offered nothing but we weren't able to break them down.
I have to think that we'd have won that without the protest.

We played better at Blackpool but went in 3-0 down at HT, so I guess that's progress, but we really weren't on it today.

I have to wonder about Selles, does he know how he wants to play and what his best side is? It seems he is cycling players around to teach them a lesson for previous mistakes. ie no sign of Hutchison.

Hutch came on for last 5 minutes or so ...

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 30 Sep 2023 19:54

Don't think there is much mystery with Hutchinson. If Wing is fit then he will be selected ahead of Hutchinson.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Sep 2023 20:12

We were ok. Same as usual really, some bits where we look great and some bits where we looked a bit clueless

Forwards didn’t especially look like scoring - Azeez get to score this season isn’t he?

Prob should have had Ballard on sooner. Miss Smith still imo

Carson was a lot better. CBs looked comfortable enough despite the odd brain fart pass. Binden did quite well. Wing better than Hutch. Knibbs, Elliott and Savage worked hard without creating too much. Button barely touched it

Should have won. Poor final ball and finish so we didn’t. Fairly straightforward

Quite enjoyed the game actually, second half was quite lively. First half dominated by the protest and then the head injury, ruined the actual game (not that I’m against the protest, it was pretty effective)

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 30 Sep 2023 20:17

We should have won, but didn't.

Final ball was often overhit. We were too often caught in possession on the edge of the box, or just lost it trying to dribble past one defender too many.

Our attacking players don't really read the game well enough, and make poor decisions. They are young and learning.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 30 Sep 2023 20:46

Well, I now have a rival for the Huddersfield v Reading play off final as the worst game I’ve attended

That was dreadful
I don’t know what Azeez brings to the party
Sadly, Savage was pretty anonymous

Positives … Abbey looks a cut above … we didn’t lose

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Sep 2023 20:53

Franchise FC Well, I now have a rival for the Huddersfield v Reading play off final as the worst game I’ve attended

That was dreadful

, have you not been watching any games since that PO final? There have been many many games far far worse than that!

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 30 Sep 2023 20:55

Hound
Franchise FC Well, I now have a rival for the Huddersfield v Reading play off final as the worst game I’ve attended

That was dreadful

, have you not been watching any games since that PO final? There have been many many games far far worse than that!

I’ve seen probably 6/7 games since the final
I get one game per season and with Covid less than that recently

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Sep 2023 20:58

Not getting on Selles’ case here but genuinely feel great parts of our game were despite him rather than because of him I.e. thanks to individual moments of brilliance across the park. Players seemed clueless as a unit.

Bbcrb posed the question what would happen if you just threw those people on the pitch with no system and said “you’re good players, work it out yourself” suggesting they’d probably do better.

Sounds harsh because tbf there’s a lot of man managemen, encouragement, training, motivation etc which I’m sure Selles brings to the party but tbf I can see where the question came from.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 30 Sep 2023 21:03

Franchise FC
Hound

That was dreadful

Similar. I wasn't there today, but most of the dire Reading performances I've seen have resulted in heavy losses because the other team were better. When was the last time both teams were so shite? That the Huddersfield game resulted in one team being PL was laughable, it was sooooo bad.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 30 Sep 2023 21:05

Interesting view considering the ignoring of instructions that was going on

At least three times before the ball break instructions were sent out and clearly ignored as the ball went exactly where they’d been told to go and no sign … at least twice was Azeez. Happened again multiple times in the second half

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Sep 2023 21:05

Franchise FC
Hound

That was dreadful

Fair enough. Sounds like you’ve been lucky

Thought the second half was entertaining. Quality wasn’t great but it wasn’t dull

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Sep 2023 21:07

Millsy Not getting on Selles’ case here but genuinely feel great parts of our game were despite him rather than because of him I.e. thanks to individual moments of brilliance across the park. Players seemed clueless as a unit.

Bbcrb posed the question what would happen if you just threw those people on the pitch with no system and said “you’re good players, work it out yourself” suggesting they’d probably do better.

Sounds harsh because tbf there’s a lot of man managemen, encouragement, training, motivation etc which I’m sure Selles brings to the party but tbf I can see where the question came from.

Selles really didn’t do too much wrong imo. Know you don’t rate him which is fair enough but we should have won the game and Burton barely had a sight of goal. Would have brought on Ballard sooner but we played best during that 50-65m period when he normally makes his first subs

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 30 Sep 2023 21:11

I've already mentioned I wasn't there, but from what I've read their keeper was MOTM, we should have had a penalty and Button didn't make a save. And people are blaming the manager that we didn't win?

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 30 Sep 2023 21:25

Hound We were ok. Same as usual really, some bits where we look great and some bits where we looked a bit clueless

Forwards didn’t especially look like scoring - Azeez get to score this season isn’t he?

Carson was a lot better. CBs looked comfortable enough despite the odd brain fart pass. Binden did quite well. Wing better than Hutch. Knibbs, Elliott and Savage worked hard without creating too much. Button barely touched it

Should have won. Poor final ball and finish so we didn’t. Fairly straightforward

Quite enjoyed the game actually, second half was quite lively. First half dominated by the protest and then the head injury, ruined the actual game (not that I’m against the protest, it was pretty effective)

^This, Reading fans "we should be beating the likes of burton" Why ?
Just to recap, for those that still think we should be challenging for the premiership.
Haven't been able to buy a player since 2021, cant buy any till 2025 at the earliest.
Playing mostly our under 21's plus some U21's on loan/frees against teams that know who to play in this league.
Oh, and we don't have a pot to piss in, what were your expectation's going into this season ?, even without the four points deduction and an owner that apparently won't even pick the phone up to Bowen.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 30 Sep 2023 21:29

Millsy Bbcrb posed the question what would happen if you just threw those people on the pitch with no system and said “you’re good players, work it out yourself” suggesting they’d probably do better.

I’ve thought this about most of our squads over the majority of the last decade ish.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 30 Sep 2023 21:32

Started well but it was like the game was waiting for the ball throwing and then once that’s done we can get on with the game scenario. Game died from that point on till the end of the half.

Second half thought we were decent without scoring. Certainly not dull and just the frustration in not completing moves, poor finishing or final ball all wrong. Game was made for Vickers I thought but sadly not there to make an impact.

Burton were dire. Setup for a point and in hope of a break for all 3…

Happy with selles, it has to get better surely?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 30 Sep 2023 22:03

Dreadful stuff. Banging long balls down the channel for Azeez to miss control over and over again. No movement or width to breakdown a team sitting deep. (Fair play to them btw they got a point)

Too many loose passes under hit and pointless flicks giving away possession.

Burton offered nothing but we were hopeless.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 30 Sep 2023 22:37

72 bus
Hound We were ok. Same as usual really, some bits where we look great and some bits where we looked a bit clueless

^This, Reading fans "we should be beating the likes of burton" Why ?
Just to recap, for those that still think we should be challenging for the premiership.
Haven't been able to buy a player since 2021, cant buy any till 2025 at the earliest.
Playing mostly our under 21's plus some U21's on loan/frees against teams that know who to play in this league.
Oh, and we don't have a pot to piss in, what were your expectation's going into this season ?, even without the four points deduction and an owner that apparently won't even pick the phone up to Bowen.

Our squad should be beating Burton at home