Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Northampton Town (a)

by Stranded » 04 Oct 2023 10:27

Royal Monkey
windermereROYAL
Royal Monkey
It’s bizarre how we’ve been so consistently bad away for so long under what, 7 different managers in that time ?

We won 10 2016/17

Which makes it worse in a way. So in all the other seasons since 2015 we’ve only won 9 in total away ?

No, I was wrong, took duff info. Corrected above.

Royal Monkey

by Royal Monkey » 04 Oct 2023 10:27

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal
Stranded I know we all know how bad our away form is but since 2015, we have won a total of 19 away games. 19!

That works out at just over 2 per season on average.

Since the end of 16/17 we must have the worst EFL record in the country. Bottom 5 at best.

Apologies, this is total bollocks that I should have checked first. Its 43 wins since the start of the 2015/16 season.

24 of which came in just 3 of those seasons. The other 19 coming in the other 5 and a bit seasons.

Oh ok not quite as bad then lol

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Oct 2023 10:27

Stranded I know we all know how bad our away form is but since 2015, we have won a total of 19 away games. 19!

That works out at just over 2 per season on average.

Abysmal

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 04 Oct 2023 10:47

My first time watching us away this season and it's frankly, terrifying.

Regardless of points deductions, I think we will go down. This is an academy team playing at league one level. It doesn't show so much at home as visiting teams are more cautious and stand off us but away, the home team attacks us and we are all over the place defensively. Players have space and unlimited time to do as they wish through midfield and in to the final third. As teams start to see just how poor we are, this will happen increasingly at home too.

Carson, Binden and Vickers have promise but should be nowhere near the first team at this stage of their career, they are hopelessly out of their depth while the likes of Dean and Azeez are just plain garbage. The keeping performance was, literally, an embarrassment and one can only hope that was a one off horror show that won't become a trend.

My best hope is that we go into administration this season rather than next as the 12 point deduction will be a free hit given we are going to be relegated regardless. The club (well, owners) should hang it's head in shame that they repeatedly let down a fan base that sells out most away games. The regular away supporters deserve far better than these shocking performances and empty platitudes from the manager afterwards.

It would be nice to think some of our fan base that slaughtered Ince might reflect given he did a far better job, in a higher division, in equally trying circumstances, but I won't be holding my breath.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Oct 2023 11:15

Unless we have more deductions I don’t see us going down. One minor positive is how bad teams like Burton have been. We should improve whereas not sure they will

Calling it an academy team is an easy excuse though. That’s Selles choice. We could do

Button
Yiadom Dean Holmes/McIntyre NGW
Wing Hutch
Knibbs Mukairo
Smith Azeez

After the intl break and maybe that’s the way to go until we settle

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 04 Oct 2023 11:33

Schards#2 My first time watching us away this season and it's frankly, terrifying.

Regardless of points deductions, I think we will go down. This is an academy team playing at league one level. It doesn't show so much at home as visiting teams are more cautious and stand off us but away, the home team attacks us and we are all over the place defensively. Players have space and unlimited time to do as they wish through midfield and in to the final third. As teams start to see just how poor we are, this will happen increasingly at home too.

Carson, Binden and Vickers have promise but should be nowhere near the first team at this stage of their career, they are hopelessly out of their depth while the likes of Dean and Azeez are just plain garbage. The keeping performance was, literally, an embarrassment and one can only hope that was a one off horror show that won't become a trend.

My best hope is that we go into administration this season rather than next as the 12 point deduction will be a free hit given we are going to be relegated regardless. The club (well, owners) should hang it's head in shame that they repeatedly let down a fan base that sells out most away games. The regular away supporters deserve far better than these shocking performances and empty platitudes from the manager afterwards.

It would be nice to think some of our fan base that slaughtered Ince might reflect given he did a far better job, in a higher division, in equally trying circumstances, but I won't be holding my breath.

Heard last night that administration could be as early as this week!!
I tend to agree with your final comment but for balance of argument he did at least have players like Carroll, Meite and Joao who at times could be very good at Championship level.

Our current squad has very little in terms of proven ability but the youngsters came through from an Academy where expectations were that they should in time be good enough for Championship football -they are being asked to perform at a lower level than expected previously so probably should be showing a bit more than they are.
Only big Kelvin and Abbey look so far to be capable at this level from our own youngsters and those brought in are yet to prove that they have been worth it.

Others have said about Selles and his coaching ability but coaching is very different from managing and so far it strikes me with the examples of Carroll, Holmes and NGW (3 who would bring a bit more to this squad especially physically) that he has a lot to learn in terms of man management.
Should he be learning at our expense?

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 04 Oct 2023 11:36

it's all so depressing for those of us who (stupidly obvs) invest emotionally in RFC.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Oct 2023 11:51

I think the worst thing about this is that people have started excusing Ince's absolute shitshow.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 04 Oct 2023 11:57

Snowflake Royal I think the worst thing about this is that people have started excusing Ince's absolute shitshow.

The football is more enjoyable under Selles and we're probably getting more points on the board based purely on home form, but that would require ignoring our record in the first half of last season.

If Ince were still here I have absolutely no clue how we'd be performing or what team he would have put together, pretty sure we still would have been relegated.

Fezza

by Fezza » 04 Oct 2023 12:17

tidus_mi2
Snowflake Royal I think the worst thing about this is that people have started excusing Ince's absolute shitshow.

The football is more enjoyable under Selles and we're probably getting more points on the board based purely on home form, but that would require ignoring our record in the first half of last season.

If Ince were still here I have absolutely no clue how we'd be performing or what team he would have put together, pretty sure we still would have been relegated.

It wasn't "more enjoyable" last night. Ince's rubbish was negative and turgid, last night was laughable though - we looked like 11 players who had never played together before, or played that system, or knew what they were doing. It was dire and pathetic and the result was totally deserved.

On that performance we wouldn't survive League 2.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 Oct 2023 12:19

South Coast Royal
Schards#2 My first time watching us away this season and it's frankly, terrifying.

I tend to agree with your final comment but for balance of argument he did at least have players like Carroll, Meite and Joao who at times could be very good at Championship level.

Our current squad has very little in terms of proven ability but the youngsters came through from an Academy where expectations were that they should in time be good enough for Championship football -they are being asked to perform at a lower level than expected previously so probably should be showing a bit more than they are.
Only big Kelvin and Abbey look so far to be capable at this level from our own youngsters and those brought in are yet to prove that they have been worth it.

Others have said about Selles and his coaching ability but coaching is very different from managing and so far it strikes me with the examples of Carroll, Holmes and NGW (3 who would bring a bit more to this squad especially physically) that he has a lot to learn in terms of man management.

The bottom line is, this is what a lot of the fans wanted. I said at the start of the season to not expect that good of a season if we were going to start relying on our youngsters and now some fans want us to be starting even more of the U21's who currently aren't getting that much of a look in because we have other players ahead of them, when that's likely part of the reason why we are where we are.

The fans want Selles to "learn", but are then saying that we should be putting even more U21 players that aren't getting in the team because there are other players in front of them. It's the same old story with any academy, plenty of players with promise, but only ever a couple make it. We've tried and tested so many this season and there is genuinely only really Abbey and Kelvin E who look good enough. Most of the others have impressed in spells, but don't have the consistency (yet).

The only benefit of the doubt I give the squad currently is that the situation for sure isn't helping them. I'm sure that if/when we get new ownership, if there is a feel good factor then we will see an improvement. Although it's difficult to judge, on a consistent basis, whereabouts this group of players actually are.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 04 Oct 2023 12:27

YorkshireRoyal99
South Coast Royal

The bottom line is, this is what a lot of the fans wanted. I said at the start of the season to not expect that good of a season if we were going to start relying on our youngsters and now some fans want us to be starting even more of the U21's who currently aren't getting that much of a look in because we have other players ahead of them, when that's likely part of the reason why we are where we are.

The fans want Selles to "learn", but are then saying that we should be putting even more U21 players that aren't getting in the team because there are other players in front of them. It's the same old story with any academy, plenty of players with promise, but only ever a couple make it. We've tried and tested so many this season and there is genuinely only really Abbey and Kelvin E who look good enough. Most of the others have impressed in spells, but don't have the consistency (yet).

The only benefit of the doubt I give the squad currently is that the situation for sure isn't helping them. I'm sure that if/when we get new ownership, if there is a feel good factor then we will see an improvement. Although it's difficult to judge, on a consistent basis, whereabouts this group of players actually are.

It is what we wanted, but we probably banked upon being able to bring a few more experienced heads and proven quality which the embargo kiboshed. Wing, Knibbs and Smith are the sort of profile to complement youth, but not many were available on a free. LB in particular is an area where we'd have loved to bring in proven L1 experience and had to scrape the barrel.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 Oct 2023 12:29

WestYorksRoyal
YorkshireRoyal99
South Coast Royal

It is what we wanted, but we probably banked upon being able to bring a few more experienced heads and proven quality which the embargo kiboshed. Wing, Knibbs and Smith are the sort of profile to complement youth, but not many were available on a free. LB in particular is an area where we'd have loved to bring in proven L1 experience and had to scrape the barrel.

Without suggesting it is easy, it's also not impossible. Joe Bennett is/was available after his release from Cardiff, at 33 could have been perfect to have in for a season. The loan market was also available. A lot of fans suggesting that players over 30 should be exactly not what we are after, but it doesn't work like that. You need to find balance in your squad. Button has been a good signing, last night withstanding obviously, for example. Dean might not be the answer, but someone to call upon etc.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Oct 2023 12:42

WestYorksRoyal
YorkshireRoyal99
South Coast Royal

We have a LB on our books with 2 full years of proven L1 experience

I’m not Selles biggest critic, I think he’ll do ok in time, but he really needs to bury the hatchet with NGW and to a lesser extent Holmes

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 04 Oct 2023 12:50

Fezza
tidus_mi2

It wasn't "more enjoyable" last night. Ince's rubbish was negative and turgid, last night was laughable though - we looked like 11 players who had never played together before, or played that system, or knew what they were doing. It was dire and pathetic and the result was totally deserved.

It was more enjoyable last night than anything Ince served up in the 2nd half of last, in my opinion at the very least. Playing very defensively and lump it to Carroll, who in fairness, won most balls to him but he was isolated so it just came back to us. Repeat until the opposition eventually score and we collapse. So fun.

At least it looks like they have some sort of gameplan albeit it becomes very toothless when we enter the final third, I worry for us this season as we've gotten past the point where a disrupted pre-season can be seen as an excuse and it hasn't improved substantially enough. If Smith doesn't come back from injury and start banging them in, what else do we have?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Oct 2023 12:54

tidus_mi2
Fezza
tidus_mi2 The football is more enjoyable under Selles and we're probably getting more points on the board based purely on home form, but that would require ignoring our record in the first half of last season.

It was more enjoyable last night than anything Ince served up in the 2nd half of last, in my opinion at the very least. Playing very defensively and lump it to Carroll, who in fairness, won most balls to him but he was isolated so it just came back to us. Repeat until the opposition eventually score and we collapse. So fun.

At least it looks like they have some sort of gameplan albeit it becomes very toothless when we enter the final third, I worry for us this season as we've gotten past the point where a disrupted pre-season can be seen as an excuse and it hasn't improved substantially enough. If Smith doesn't come back from injury and start banging them in, what else do we have?

You’d expect Ehibhatiomhan, Ballard and Vickers to improve over the season. Camara has been missed, Wing looks decent and only just back. Savage and Elliot should get better with experience, maybe Mukairo.

It’s not panic stations, it’s probably just going a bit worse than expected

I don’t think the performances have been truly awful on the whole, we’re making poor mistakes over the pitch which is costing us games.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Oct 2023 12:56

Fezza
tidus_mi2

Disagree. We create more chances under Selles. Some of the interplay is quite nice. And we're watching players with a future progress.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Oct 2023 12:58

YorkshireRoyal99
South Coast Royal

What U21 players are people saying should be in the team, and who are they? Because that seems either exaggerated or made up.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Oct 2023 13:01

CBC and Abrefa mentioned in various places

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Oct 2023 13:05

Hound CBC and Abrefa mentioned in various places

CBC is purely a reaction to Button having a howler and potentially needing a break as punishment/to get his head right. He's our sub and cup goalie, so that's hardly promoting someone from the U21s.

Abrefa has already been around the first team for a season and is just one of a plethora of options at right back pointed out instead of a centreback.

The same suggestions often include Holmes and NGW. Senior players being ignored - as you've said yourself multiple times.

343 posts