SJM interview on Radio Berks

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

SJM interview on Radio Berks

by Mid Sussex Royal » 06 Oct 2023 09:28

Doesn't sound good...receivership is around the corner

North of £20m will secure takeover (I guess due to yesterday's news)

Howe actively trying to sell the club

Change of tack from SJM, far more critical of Dai and of the fact he's not listened to reading people just "international agents"

Not sure what else was said, just read this on Twitter.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: SJM interview on Radio Berks

by Sutekh » 06 Oct 2023 10:04

Mid Sussex Royal Doesn't sound good...receivership is around the corner

Change of tack from SJM, far more critical of Dai and of the fact he's not listened to reading people just "international agents"

The full interview was with Andrew Peach starting at about 8.05 this morning. You can hear it via the BBC Sounds app or whatever sites stream BBC Berks on catchup.

It's basically just an advert for a buyer to come forward.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Oct 2023 10:45

How would he know receivership is around the corner? Or is this just what he has heard from his contacts within the club presumably?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Oct 2023 10:54

YorkshireRoyal99 How would he know receivership is around the corner? Or is this just what he has heard from his contacts within the club presumably?

I think he just meant, it is around the corner if things don't change - Dai isn't/can't pay tax - if you don't pay tax, things don't tend on ending well.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Oct 2023 11:09

Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99 How would he know receivership is around the corner? Or is this just what he has heard from his contacts within the club presumably?

I think he just meant, it is around the corner if things don't change - Dai isn't/can't pay tax - if you don't pay tax, things don't tend on ending well.

Fair enough. I haven't had chance to listen to it yet so didn't know how it was said in context, I thought he was potentially in the know about something (I guess to an extent he is).

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 06 Oct 2023 11:35

I took it as quite a positive position, or at least positivity is potentially on the horizon.

Just £20M will buy someone the club, stadium and training ground. a bargain. All bidders welcome

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 06 Oct 2023 11:53

Winston Biscuit

I took it as quite a positive position, or at least positivity is potentially on the horizon.

Just £20M will buy someone the club, stadium and training ground. a bargain. All bidders welcome

Yep, I also take this as a positive. SJM will have some insight and it’s good to know that Howe is leading the hunt for a buyer. £20m gives Dai back ten pence in the pound and that might be more than administration will give him, allowing for all of the associated costs.

I think SJM was being a little dramatic to hopefully drum up interest.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 06 Oct 2023 11:57

blythspartan
Winston Biscuit

Yep, I also take this as a positive. SJM will have some insight and it’s good to know that Howe is leading the hunt for a buyer. £20m gives Dai back ten pence in the pound and that might be more than administration will give him, allowing for all of the associated costs.

I think SJM was being a little dramatic to hopefully drum up interest.

Dai owns the stadium which is heavily protected and has a charge against the training ground which means he could seize it in the event of liquidation. But similarly he can't do much with that - a golf club perhaps but minimal chance of property development.

So if it is liquidation vs £20m, the only sensible answer is £20m. I just fear this has a bit more to run with potential brinkmanship as he tries to hold out for more. Similarly potential buyers will know that longer negotiations suit them. More poor results on the pitch and possible points deductions just bring down the price more.

I don't think the worst (liquidation) will happen, but this could have more time to run yet.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 06 Oct 2023 12:00

I love Sir John but I don't really trust a word he says when it comes to the day to day running of the club currently. He is massively out of the loop and has been for some time.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Oct 2023 12:14

I expect he still has contact with Howe. Be surprised if Dai sold for £20m atm but slightly encouraged by SJM bandying that figure

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 06 Oct 2023 12:16

Hound I expect he still has contact with Howe. Be surprised if Dai sold for £20m atm but slightly encouraged by SJM bandying that figure

I question how quickly he has turned on Dai. Wasn't he backing him just a few months ago? Like you say he might have found out something from Howe that changes that, just seems like a very quick change of tune.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 06 Oct 2023 12:22

From what I hear, Dai is still sabotaging any potential deals. Plenty of interest, but he just tells them a number that he knows they will reject.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Oct 2023 12:22

Elm Park Kid From what I hear, Dai is still sabotaging any potential deals. Plenty of interest, but he just tells them a number that he knows they will reject.

This I can well believe

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Oct 2023 12:52

What was yesterday's news? I feel Ive missed something?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Oct 2023 12:59

NathStPaul I love Sir John but I don't really trust a word he says when it comes to the day to day running of the club currently. He is massively out of the loop and has been for some time.

I trust his word more than some twitter twat pretending to be ITK. He may be out of the loop a bit but he will still have contacts at the club as well as an understanding of how selling a football club and negotiating with people who have the necessary considerable amounts of wonga to waste works.

Think Mike Ashley would seem to be the sort of owner the club needs at this moment in time.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Oct 2023 13:00

Sutekh
NathStPaul I love Sir John but I don't really trust a word he says when it comes to the day to day running of the club currently. He is massively out of the loop and has been for some time.

I trust his word more than some twitter twat pretending to be ITK. He may be out of the loop a bit but he will still have contacts at the club as well as an understanding of how selling a football club and negotiating with people who have the necessary considerable amounts of wonga to waste works.

Think Mike Ashley would seem to be the sort of owner the club needs at this moment in time.

On the day to day running I trust neither a jot.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 06 Oct 2023 13:45

I would think Madejski may know a bit about the current process given his Chief Executive for over two decades is trying to put a consortium together to buy the club. I would Howe has told him about some of the process so far.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 06 Oct 2023 13:58

Orion1871 I would think Madejski may know a bit about the current process given his Chief Executive for over two decades is trying to put a consortium together to buy the club. I would Howe has told him about some of the process so far.

Would be breaking an NDA, so hopefully not.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 06 Oct 2023 14:37

Haven't we been here before with Howe and a consortium?

Or perhaps I'm thinking of another club.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Oct 2023 15:40

Sir John lost me when he suggested we need to stick with Pauno. He never did understand football.

But he certainly knows how club acquisitions work and what may be going on behind the scenes.