66%
Stick with him till the end of the season
34%

Total votes: 83
WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Up to date Selles poll - in or out?

by WestYorksRoyal » 07 Oct 2023 22:23

Pepe the Horseman Even if we do sack him, as always I have zero faith in them choosing an adequate replacement. We were told Selles was Bowen's (2nd?) choice, either that was BS, or he's just as incompetent as the rest of them. We just don't learn that highly rated coaches with shit managerial records, tend to actually be shit managers.

I don't buy this "coaches don't make good managers" argument. Most managers start out as coaches, aside from a few high profile ex players and that comes with its own issues. So pretty much every top manager was once a coach.

The problem is we're hiring the wrong ones. Pardew and McDermott were internal promotions who understood the club so it worked. I had hopes that Selles was a process driven appointment who would work out, but unfortunately it looks like a bad appointment. But it's a bit simplistic to say it's because he was a coach.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 07 Oct 2023 22:28

We don’t need a tactical genius in league 1 ffs. We just need a manager who is going to be no nonsense keep things simple and get 11 motivated players on the pitch preferably playing in their natural positions. If any manager came in a did that we would win more than we lose.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 07 Oct 2023 22:33

WestYorksRoyal
Pepe the Horseman Even if we do sack him, as always I have zero faith in them choosing an adequate replacement. We were told Selles was Bowen's (2nd?) choice, either that was BS, or he's just as incompetent as the rest of them. We just don't learn that highly rated coaches with shit managerial records, tend to actually be shit managers.

I don't buy this "coaches don't make good managers" argument. Most managers start out as coaches, aside from a few high profile ex players and that comes with its own issues. So pretty much every top manager was once a coach.

The problem is we're hiring the wrong ones. Pardew and McDermott were internal promotions who understood the club so it worked. I had hopes that Selles was a process driven appointment who would work out, but unfortunately it looks like a bad appointment. But it's a bit simplistic to say it's because he was a coach.

You missed the "with shit managerial records" part. Clement, Gomes, Paunovic and Selles were all "great coaches" but had already failed miserably in their previous job(s). Obviously Selles didn't come with a huge amount of managerial experience, but can't say we weren't warned by Southampton fans.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 07 Oct 2023 22:34

Brogue We don’t need a tactical genius in league 1 ffs. We just need a manager who is going to be no nonsense keep things simple and get 11 motivated players on the pitch preferably playing in their natural positions. If any manager came in a did that we would win more than we lose.

Some kind of lower league experience was pretty much the minimum requirement for the job and we couldn't even manage to get that right.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 07 Oct 2023 22:37

Ftr I'd give him till Xmas.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 07 Oct 2023 22:38

I’d like to see how things go with smith back in the side

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 07 Oct 2023 22:39

Brogue I’d like to see how things go with smith back in the side

Lol, forgot he even existed.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 07 Oct 2023 22:45

Pepe the Horseman

Indeed and I’m not holding my breath that anything will change. I can’t see him making that much of an impact. But I think it’s only fair to give selles some time to prove himself with his most experienced striker back in the team.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 07 Oct 2023 23:04

Can't disagree with you lads here I'm not sure Selles is up to it either. But I like to give managers a chance and he has done some good things. I was at the Port Vale away game which after a bright start was dire after we missed the penalty early on and I thought most of these players have been shit in the Champ and they're still being shit in L1 and need to be dropped which was a drastic action that I didn't expect Selles to do but he did it which at least showed he has a pair. And we won 2 games after that. But we really haven't improved or pushed on since then which is what is so frustrating. I wonder if Carroll had scored that penalty and we'd gone on to win how different things would be looking right now who knows?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Oct 2023 23:31

Brogue
Pepe the Horseman

Indeed and I’m not holding my breath that anything will change. I can’t see him making that much of an impact. But I think it’s only fair to give selles some time to prove himself with his most experienced striker back in the team.

Smith can finish and is used to playing in a shit side.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Oct 2023 23:39

RoyallyFcuked Can't disagree with you lads here I'm not sure Selles is up to it either. But I like to give managers a chance and he has done some good things. I was at the Port Vale away game which after a bright start was dire after we missed the penalty early on and I thought most of these players have been shit in the Champ and they're still being shit in L1 and need to be dropped which was a drastic action that I didn't expect Selles to do but he did it which at least showed he has a pair. And we won 2 games after that. But we really haven't improved or pushed on since then which is what is so frustrating. I wonder if Carroll had scored that penalty and we'd gone on to win how different things would be looking right now who knows?

We're a double handful of goals that nearly went in for us and shouldn’t have gone in for the opposition from being about 14th even with the points deduction, and happy.

It's just every week we seem to hit the bar/miss a pen/ be denied a pen/air kick a glorious chance at one end.

Then spaghetti hands a save / trip over the ball / not track a runner / jump under a bounce / get caught upfield at the other.

And it's another L.

Could have got a point vs Peterborough and Exeter, beaten Cambridge, Burton and drawn with Orient and Northampton with the rub of the green. Hell, Vale were there for the taking.

Most of these teams don't have better players than us like was the case in the Championship. They have a team. A strategy. Experience. Confidence. Composure.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 08 Oct 2023 00:05

Snowflake Royal
Brogue
Pepe the Horseman Lol, forgot he even existed.

Let's hope he buries all these chances we've been making.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Oct 2023 00:34

Pepe the Horseman
Snowflake Royal
Brogue

Let's hope he buries all these chances we've been making.

Quite. I’m looking forward to seeing him as the focal point if our 421111 formation

royalstevep68

by royalstevep68 » 08 Oct 2023 04:18

I’d rather have Noel hunt in charge , can’t see any progress and at least Noel knows a lot of the players

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 08 Oct 2023 11:44

royalstevep68 I’d rather have Noel hunt in charge , can’t see any progress and at least Noel knows a lot of the players

I’d love anyone but seLLLLLLes and of course like Hunt, but let’s not forget he was utterly shit also as manager of a struggling first team.

Would rather roll the die with a total unknown than appoint a tried and tested failure, or at least appoint Bowen who was ok-ish.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 23 Oct 2023 10:10

61 people have voted in the older Selles poll which was done early on, only 36 here. As you can only vote once, the earlier vote is skewed by premature IN votes which have clearly changed.

This poll was after 2 games ago and is more accurate. Yet another new poll now would be even more damning.

Pretty pointless I guess for several reasons as I'm pretty sure most of us agree he is useless, it's more a case of how/when.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 23 Oct 2023 10:38

I do think there's a good chance that we simply don't have the capacity to change manager right now. Firing him means paying out his contract, it means starting a new search during a time when everyone is focused on getting a new owner, it means finding someone who is happy to sign a contract with a club that is in clear financial distress. And for what - to get relegated anyway when the club is deducted points down the line?

Doesn't it make sense to have some idea of whether we can actually get a better replacement before calling for him to go? I thought Selles was the wrong hire from the start and said on the first page of the other thread that he'd be gone by October. But, given where we are right now - his leaving could just be another part of the slow motion collapse of the club. At least when selling the club to clueless buyers we can say that we've currently got a young manager with PL experience.

under the tin

by under the tin » 23 Oct 2023 10:55

This is shaping up like an Ince MK2 scenario.
A stubborn inflexible manager who values his system more than the available playing resources.
We're far too easy to play against with his system.
We have young players learning the Pro game, and they deserve better than being hung out to dry
by Selles' tactical ineptitude. We have some diamonds that need polishing, not ground into the dirt.
Get shot of Selles rather than see these young lads want to get away from a bad experience.
Let Bowen and Noel Hunt manage the side for the interim, because let's face it, a new owner will probably
want to bring in their own choice anyway.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 23 Oct 2023 11:01

Selles needs to swallow his pride and play whatever ugly league one football it takes to get points, if that means long ball and parking the bus then do it, Also play for a draw away from home, 1 point is better than 0 points.

If he gets enough points to get us out of the relegation battle then he can mess about with fancy tactics and training the players on how to play them, although getting Binden to learn on the job how to be a right back is ridiculous.

It isn't about rebuilding, it's about surviving. We are where we are based on results, the 4 points deduction didn't help but isn't the main reason

This is Brendan Rogers all over without the tank tops and big watch, Possibly the right man at the wrong time

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 23 Oct 2023 11:52

Agree with the right man wrong time thought. Playing a system that this group of players currently cannot play in away from home. A different kettle of fish at home where teams come are less expansive in the main, but maybe not the one to go when we are away from home.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to see what will work away from home at the moment. Ince's football didn't work when we effectively parked the bus and I can't see that working for us now either, but on the flip side we are too expansive at the moment. Some games though, it's just certain moments that kill us. I'm hoping Smith can come in and nick a goal or two that would make a difference I think.

158 posts