66%
Stick with him till the end of the season
34%

Total votes: 83
WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Up to date Selles poll - in or out?

by WestYorksRoyal » 23 Oct 2023 11:59

I'm in the highly critical camp, especially away from home. 4222 is a massive issue. But even I can see that things are going against him. On Saturday, Knibbs missed a free header from about 3 yards out at 0-0. Who knows what the result is if that goes in. And you can probably go all the way back to Carroll's penalty as a key moment in our season. These are moments a manager can't legislate for. We've also had a string of away games while our home record is OK. Perhaps if away matches had fallen on the international break the table would be prettier.

So perhaps soon we'll get a couple of wins and our luck will turn. I felt like the week with Bolton and Exeter in the cup should have been that turning point; I thought we were fostering a "fans and squad vs the world" bunker mentality.

But I struggle to see it. The way we set up means the deflating result will only ever be around the corner. Lose tomorrow and Selles will already be past the point of no return from which managers don’t recover, if we're not there already.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 23 Oct 2023 12:16

WestYorksRoyal I'm in the highly critical camp, especially away from home. 4222 is a massive issue. But even I can see that things are going against him. On Saturday, Knibbs missed a free header from about 3 yards out at 0-0. Who knows what the result is if that goes in. And you can probably go all the way back to Carroll's penalty as a key moment in our season. These are moments a manager can't legislate for. We've also had a string of away games while our home record is OK. Perhaps if away matches had fallen on the international break the table would be prettier.

So perhaps soon we'll get a couple of wins and our luck will turn. I felt like the week with Bolton and Exeter in the cup should have been that turning point; I thought we were fostering a "fans and squad vs the world" bunker mentality.

But I struggle to see it. The way we set up means the deflating result will only ever be around the corner. Lose tomorrow and Selles will already be past the point of no return from which managers don’t recover, if we're not there already.

Get what your saying but a manager that can't get a point away from home isn't viable in any circumstances either. If you have mid-table home form and relegation away form that sounds like a better manager could get more out of that team, given your home and away form should be comparable to your competitors home and away form.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 23 Oct 2023 12:20

under the tin This is shaping up like an Ince MK2 scenario.
A stubborn inflexible manager who values his system more than the available playing resources.
We're far too easy to play against with his system.
We have young players learning the Pro game, and they deserve better than being hung out to dry
by Selles' tactical ineptitude. We have some diamonds that need polishing, not ground into the dirt.
Get shot of Selles rather than see these young lads want to get away from a bad experience.
Let Bowen and Noel Hunt manage the side for the interim, because let's face it, a new owner will probably
want to bring in their own choice anyway.

Seriously, Bowen has far more important things to be spending his time on now.

People need some perspective. The sale of the club to reasonable owners is far more important than whether we're winning games right now.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Oct 2023 12:46

Elm Park Kid
A stubborn inflexible manager who values his system more than the available playing resources.
We have young players learning the Pro game, and they deserve better than being hung out to dry
by Selles' tactical ineptitude. We have some diamonds that need polishing, not ground into the dirt.
Get shot of Selles rather than see these young lads want to get away from a bad experience.
Let Bowen and Noel Hunt manage the side for the interim, because let's face it, a new owner will probably

People need some perspective. The sale of the club to reasonable owners is far more important than whether we're winning games right now.

Yes of course it is, but then having someone in charge of the team who can actually get the club looking like it has football players who can win a game or two might be of real in the selling process.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 23 Oct 2023 12:48

Sutekh
Elm Park Kid

Yes of course it is, but then having someone in charge of the team who can actually get the club looking like it has football players who can win a game or two might be of real in the selling process.

And also, it's a very uncertain, stressful time to be a Reading fan. Perhaps some enjoyment on the pitch would provide some relief. Instead there is nothing positive, no hope. Everything is totally shit.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 23 Oct 2023 12:49

I'd wait until after these next 3 home games, if minimal return, time to take action.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 23 Oct 2023 13:56

Elm Park Kid I do think there's a good chance that we simply don't have the capacity to change manager right now. Firing him means paying out his contract, it means starting a new search during a time when everyone is focused on getting a new owner, it means finding someone who is happy to sign a contract with a club that is in clear financial distress. And for what - to get relegated anyway when the club is deducted points down the line?

Doesn't it make sense to have some idea of whether we can actually get a better replacement before calling for him to go? I thought Selles was the wrong hire from the start and said on the first page of the other thread that he'd be gone by October. But, given where we are right now - his leaving could just be another part of the slow motion collapse of the club. At least when selling the club to clueless buyers we can say that we've currently got a young manager with PL experience.

THIS! although I'd put Selles on gardening leave and give the job to Noel Hunt in the interim.

Let's see what happens tomorrow first. 3 points are essential

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 23 Oct 2023 14:13

I voted in just because I don't see what a new manager can do with the playing staff we have and potentially uprooting the entire way of playing we have been trying to implement could just set us back even further.

I think the next run of games, primarily at home will be key, if we're not outside the relegation zone at a minimum by Christmas, I think he has to go.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Oct 2023 14:35

tidus_mi2 I voted in just because I don't see what a new manager can do with the playing staff we have and potentially uprooting the entire way of playing we have been trying to implement could just set us back even further.

I think the next run of games, primarily at home will be key, if we're not outside the relegation zone at a minimum by Christmas, I think he has to go.

The problem is, the longer you leave it, the more hardwired in the poor performance and losing mentality is. See Clowno to Ince. And Ince to Hunt and Stam to Clement.

Chairman Mao
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Chairman Mao » 23 Oct 2023 14:43

do think away tactics need to change.

if we fail to start picking up points in next few games id be for sacking, but we cant afford to sack him anyway so its moot.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 23 Oct 2023 15:14

Snowflake Royal
tidus_mi2 I voted in just because I don't see what a new manager can do with the playing staff we have and potentially uprooting the entire way of playing we have been trying to implement could just set us back even further.

The problem is, the longer you leave it, the more hardwired in the poor performance and losing mentality is. See Clowno to Ince. And Ince to Hunt and Stam to Clement.

Yep but on all those occasions we stayed up

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Oct 2023 16:33

Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal

Oh well, everything's fine then.

You seem to forget we got relegated last season

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 23 Oct 2023 21:15

I don’t think there is much point in making a change until we have a new owner in place and when that new owner is in place I’d expect they would also want their own manager in.

I’ve not totally given up on Ruben, generally thought we have done alright in the home matches but feels like we are now entering a crucial period, we need to pick up points at home now and hopefully build the sides confidence.

Ultimately we have an inexperienced manager working with an inexperienced team, just have to hope they learn from there mistakes and learn fast.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Oct 2023 07:34

Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal

Apart from the Ince to Hunt occasion of course.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Oct 2023 07:37

Getthebeerens I don’t think there is much point in making a change until we have a new owner in place and when that new owner is in place I’d expect they would also want their own manager in.

I’ve not totally given up on Ruben, generally thought we have done alright in the home matches but feels like we are now entering a crucial period, we need to pick up points at home now and hopefully build the sides confidence.

Ultimately we have an inexperienced manager working with an inexperienced team, just have to hope they learn from there mistakes and learn fast.

No, no signs of that, still the same stupid gameplan and bad team selections.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 24 Oct 2023 09:50

In. The manager makes no difference. Unless there is evidence that he has lost the players, of which I've seen none, then stick with him. No-one is going to turn this squad into one that is comfortable from relegation.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 24 Oct 2023 10:19

Get rid now before more damage is done. We can't afford to drop another league.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 24 Oct 2023 10:23

Ascotexgunner Get rid now before more damage is done. We can't afford to drop another league.

It's out of any manager's control. Our squad is thin and inexperienced.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Oct 2023 10:39

Wouldn’t sack him yet but he must know that we have to pick up a very large haul of points from our upcoming home games or there will be little choice

I find it extremely frustrating, he seems a decent guy with some good ideas but the points return is unacceptable as has been the way we’ve folded in games where we should have picked up points. The mentality is poor. We’re weak mentally. Maybe accepting defeat and conceding too readily

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 24 Oct 2023 11:22

Sanguine
Ascotexgunner Get rid now before more damage is done. We can't afford to drop another league.

It's out of any manager's control. Our squad is thin and inexperienced.

I keep hearing this "inexperienced" bit.
I don't subscribe to that. How are these players "inexperienced?
We have seen what Abbey, Bindon, Vickers etc can do. Players are bought up for these moments. Do you think Savage is "inexperienced" or any other loanee/signed player from one of the big boys.
Several teams in this league are in the same boat, no money, run on a shoestring as well.
It's why Colin is the most successful EFL manager ever. Like him or loath him he puts his arm round the players and treats them like he owns them, like a father figure. It's unreal that he got Rotherham and Huddersfield out of spiralling failure.
I'm not saying we should take him, but ask yourself this. If Colin or Wilder or another experienced manager were here, would we be so far down the table.and in a death spiral to league 2. I think we wouldn't be this bad.
Selles is sucking every inch of confidence out of this side with his stubbornness.

158 posts