BFTG Orient

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

BFTG Orient

by Fox Talbot » 07 Oct 2023 18:20

Could have won, should have drawn, lost in the last minute, again.

Won't attack, can't defend. Ballard off - looked the only threat. No Vickers, our best hope of opening something up.

End of match Selles and (most) players come over to the fans. Not sure what the purpose was - but after a few moments it didn't feel like 'thank you for your support.' Six out of six away defeats - this one to a newly promoted club about five years out of non-league.

Fans' reaction - a mix of of support and you're not fit to wear the shirt. Small scuffles. Think Selles needs a bit of humility here. OK, he's got a shit hand to play but face it, it aint going well and getting in our faces don't help.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG Orient

by Greatwesternline » 07 Oct 2023 18:31

Was sat right at the very top of the home end to the right of the Reading fans.

It's bemusing that the group of 15 or so Reading teenagers right at the top were wearing the goggle hooded jackets and Burberry scarves.

Lads, it's 25c, it's hot, you don't need scarves, you look silly.

I happened to be sat next to a good mate of the old boy who died on Tuesday. He showed me the t-shirt he was wearing which he'd had printed for the game which had Derek's face on it.

They were all very impressed with the sincerity with which Reading fans did the applause. So that was nice.

yuomi

by yuomi » 07 Oct 2023 18:32

Almost Ince like stubbornness from Selles to persist with 4222 at this stage. It's not working, we don't have the players to make it work, and if anything our performances are getting worse as opponents just have to watch our last match back to see which of our obvious weaknesses they can exploit. We're pathetically easy to play against.

Random thoughts:
- Azeez needs some time out. Preferably on loan at a National League team, but a few weeks on the bench would be a start.
- Ditto Button. We must have signed Pereira for a reason so give him or CBC a go,
- Staggering selfishness from WiFi when we could have gone ahead.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 07 Oct 2023 18:35

Happily sat back on my patio in E17 sipping on gin and juice.

If you just ignore the football life is good, it's 20+ degrees still. Lush as they say in Wales.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 07 Oct 2023 19:53

yuomi Almost Ince like stubbornness from Selles to persist with 4222 at this stage. It's not working, we don't have the players to make it work, and if anything our performances are getting worse as opponents just have to watch our last match back to see which of our obvious weaknesses they can exploit. We're pathetically easy to play against.

Random thoughts:
- Azeez needs some time out. Preferably on loan at a National League team, but a few weeks on the bench would be a start.
- Ditto Button. We must have signed Pereira for a reason so give him or CBC a go,

It wasn't - it was 4231 from what I saw with Ballard much deeper, then we changed again when their wing backs were getting too much joy

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Oct 2023 20:14

Mid Sussex Royal
yuomi Almost Ince like stubbornness from Selles to persist with 4222 at this stage. It's not working, we don't have the players to make it work, and if anything our performances are getting worse as opponents just have to watch our last match back to see which of our obvious weaknesses they can exploit. We're pathetically easy to play against.

Random thoughts:

It wasn't - it was 4231 from what I saw with Ballard much deeper, then we changed again when their wing backs were getting too much joy

Looked exactly the same old shit for the first 30 minutes from the telly.

Then Azeez and Knibbs started staying wider and helping defend.

And then they came off and it became a free for all once more.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 07 Oct 2023 20:22

Such an embarrassing result

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 07 Oct 2023 20:44

Tidy ground, decent fans, warm weather, fairly easy to get to, Royals out in numbers.................... Set up for a long awaited away win
However
Yet another shitshow from us.

Baffled as to why Ballard our best outlet was taken off whilst the ineffective Azeez and WiFi remained on.
Just dreadful and depressing!

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 07 Oct 2023 20:56

Please drop Button ASAP

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 07 Oct 2023 21:26

Snowflake Royal
Mid Sussex Royal

Random thoughts:

Try going to a game once in a while and you'd see the whole pitch and set up rather than some grainy one camera stream

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Oct 2023 22:13

Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal
Mid Sussex Royal

Try going to a game once in a while and you'd see the whole pitch and set up rather than some grainy one camera stream

That's a big handbag you've got love.

Been to Peterborough, Exeter and Cambridge this season thanks.

Watched games from every stand of the Madejski. And the view is just fine from the TV. That's why millions of people watch football on TV every week and it's where all the money is.

Loads of parts of stadia have much worse view of shape than on TV. Anything in the first 10-15 rows is pretty shit for it.

But you're special because you went to the game. Well done.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 07 Oct 2023 22:33

Wasn't exactly sure where to post this as I haven't been on here in years and like I say I was at Northampton on Tuesday but didn't post in that thread and I only watched todays game on a stream that I dug up which kept lagging so can't say too much about today so this post is just to give my current thoughts about the team and situation we are in.

So anyway I think we do have some talent in the squad I mean Abbey looked class on Tuesday by far our best player and I don't think the defence did that much wrong other than Carson being exposed on his own for the 2nd goal but they were obviously let down by the goalkeeper. You could say it literally would have been a 1-0 win if it wasn't for him that night but that would have flattered us we were oxf*rd awful in the first half and deserved to be behind. Having said that I thought we edged the second half improved a lot and scored a decent goal that was kind of gifted but still well played by Knibbs and Ballard. Then gave away another stupid goal at the end which is when we all walked out in despair. Didn't wanna be too harsh on Button as apart from that night I don't think he's done much wrong but after another mistake that cost us today you have to question whether he should be starting now.

Based on what I've seen Abbey and Dean could be a good partnership. Abbey and Bindon didn't do badly at all but I think Dean's experience should be important to the defence in terms of direction and positioning, the young lads can do the running while Dean tells them where to go. We haven't seen the best of this yet but I hope we do as a young inexperienced defence really needs an experienced head to guide them.

Not sure what Selles is doing playing Bindon right back but we know some full backs start out as centre backs and some full backs/centre backs can play both positions competently so Selles is obviously trying to convert him, not saying its the right time to be doing that but he obviously doesn't rate Yiadom and frankly who can blame him after the performances of a man who is supposed to be our club captain. He made his best contribution for quite some time on Tuesday I'll give him that. Surely NGW and Mbengue should start when fit not sure why NGW has been out of the team if he's fit but the first team experience will be invaluable to Carson and Bindon who have good potential.

I think the main problem lies in midfield and attack where we look just look clueless and toothless for the most part. Looks like Selles is a bit too defensive minded which I'm not a fan of I'd much rather see us try and attack and win the game no matter what the result I don't like watching shyte boring football which we've all been subjected to too much in recent years.

I think Savage could be a decent player but I would have liked to have seen the Wing and Hutch partnership today if Hutch had not got injured. I have no idea how Azeez is still in the team he is massively out of form offering precious little and needs to be dropped. I'm really surprised that he is still starting and was even more shocked when he didn't even get taken off on Tuesday ahead of other players. Kelvin is decent and doing what he can with limited service same goes for Ballard who looks a decent little player as well even though he's not ours. Would start Vickers or Mukairu over Azeez atm as they have shown a lot more quality.

Basically I thought we had decent enough squad to challenging in this league but its guna take time as we have a very young squad. It could just take a couple of wins especially away once we brake that hoodoo we could really push on and build some momentum but at the same time it could easily go the other away as well if we carry on the way we are. Wouldn't be sacking Selles yet its a bit early for that when he's inherited a pigsty but some of his decisions have certainly been questionable. Sometimes I think yes well done other times I think wtf are you doing so the jury is very much out on him thats for sure.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 07 Oct 2023 22:59

I've been to every away league game so far and that was probably the best performance. A bit of bite, some shape and discipline, fewer mistakes.

Ballard, Binden and Wing the best of our lot, good to get back in game quickly even if it was scrappy.

One big mistake too late to recover from and a solid point becomes a bit of a gutting defeat.

I was in with home fans, so could see trouble brewing on other side. Half the side are kids, wind it in lads.

Good day out though - prematch refreshments at the Pride o'Spitalfields, The Kings Arms, The Camel, The Palm Tree then Leyton Star and The Birkbeck after. Good pubs, some great, 5km walk in total.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 07 Oct 2023 23:09

As I said on the match thread Azeez playing is like having 10 men on the pitch. He brings nothing, no pace or trickery, he can't defend and he can't finish. He's been a huge let down this season after many thought that he'd be an asset in league one. He needs to improve and find his confidence or he won't have much of a career as a professional footballer in the EFL at all.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 07 Oct 2023 23:15

stealthpapes I've been to every away league game so far and that was probably the best performance. A bit of bite, some shape and discipline, fewer mistakes.

I know everyone has their own opinion but it's a very low bar if you think that was our best away performance in the league. We were awful, I'd say that was worse than Cambridge and on parity with Port Vale and Blackpool.

Onto actual away form, we've not even played anyone proper decent or a bigger club yet. Bar Blackpool we've lost to a number of tiny clubs who are more likely to be near the bottom of the league at the end of the season. Charlton will beat us 4-0 if we play like that in a couple of weeks. Imagine how this lot will do away at Pompey, Derby, Wigan and Barnsley.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Oct 2023 23:27

stealthpapes I've been to every away league game so far and that was probably the best performance. A bit of bite, some shape and discipline, fewer mistakes.

Ballard, Binden and Wing the best of our lot, good to get back in game quickly even if it was scrappy.

One big mistake too late to recover from and a solid point becomes a bit of a gutting defeat.

I was in with home fans, so could see trouble brewing on other side. Half the side are kids, wind it in lads.

Good day out though - prematch refreshments at the Pride o'Spitalfields, The Kings Arms, The Camel, The Palm Tree then Leyton Star and The Birkbeck after. Good pubs, some great, 5km walk in total.

Thought Exeter and Cambridge were ok, just some disappointing errors at both ends.

Vale was obviously a shambles by the end. Blackpool poor. Northampton poor. Today didn’t look great. If Orient could finish well they'd have been 2 up and coasting by 30 mins.

Frustrating thing is this side can clearly play. But in 11 games Selles and his wide open flanks (plus Dai and protests) have absolutely ruined confidence.

There's lots of quality. It just doesn't fit together. Especially the way Selles wants to set us up.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 07 Oct 2023 23:50

I just find it bizarre. How the fcuk can we go to Exeter and win 9-0 away from home (where we were beaten in the league 2-1 a week or two before btw) in a mickey mouse competition granted and that was Exeter's youth team yes but we didn't exactly have an experienced team out ourselves, not too much different to our squad in the league. I just think its weird you can have a performance like that and seemingly take absolutely nothing from it. It's like he goes and tells them a completely different way to play in the league. Odd

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Oct 2023 00:09

RoyallyFcuked I just find it bizarre. How the fcuk can we go to Exeter and win 9-0 away from home (where we were beaten in the league 2-1 a week or two before btw) in a mickey mouse competition granted and that was Exeter's youth team yes but we didn't exactly have an experienced team out ourselves, not too much different to our squad in the league. I just think its weird you can have a performance like that and seemingly take absolutely nothing from it. It's like he goes and tells them a completely different way to play in the league. Odd

So our squad is quite big and all of a similar quality. And if we get our noses in front we do well (4 wins from 5 leading positions league and cup for example).

Our young players are used to playing other Cat 1 youth teams, with a year break. Exeter's aren't at that level, and mostly aren't competing on a fairly even setting to play first team games.

They gave us space, and we destroyed them. That is not happening in L1, and the first team level in L1 is much higher than their youth sides.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Oct 2023 00:29

Snowflake Royal
Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal Looked exactly the same old shit for the first 30 minutes from the telly.

That's a big handbag you've got love.

Been to Peterborough, Exeter and Cambridge this season thanks.

Watched games from every stand of the Madejski. And the view is just fine from the TV. That's why millions of people watch football on TV every week and it's where all the money is.

Loads of parts of stadia have much worse view of shape than on TV. Anything in the first 10-15 rows is pretty shit for it.

But you're special because you went to the game. Well done.

Thing is Ian, you know this is bullshit. Because you’re not stupid and you understand about cameras and actual human vision being able to take in a much larger vista.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 08 Oct 2023 06:16

The period before Orient took the lead i thought we looked poor, however from that moment to half time we looked pretty good and got the equaliser to go in level. After a promising end to the half I was so disappointing we didn’t kick on in the second, I’m not sure we even had a chance until after they scored did we?