MATCHWATCH : Swindon Town (h)

178 posts
Crowbar6753

Re: MATCHWATCH : Swindon Town (h)

by Crowbar6753 » 09 Oct 2023 18:21

blythspartan Years ago, I wouldn’t have missed this for the world, but I can’t be bothered to even watch it on Royals TV. Hopefully, Smith might get a game which might benefit us for the game at Charlton.

It'll be interesting to see what the attendance will be tomorrow? This cup is poorly supported until the final few rounds however, it's our first game against Swindon for a while and us older folk have fond memories of these games 30 years ago.
I always thought the Oxford game was a better and more bitter rivalry however Swindon was always fun especially at their place.

5000 attendance will be a good effort i reckon.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 09 Oct 2023 18:43

Crowbar6753
blythspartan Years ago, I wouldn’t have missed this for the world, but I can’t be bothered to even watch it on Royals TV. Hopefully, Smith might get a game which might benefit us for the game at Charlton.

It'll be interesting to see what the attendance will be tomorrow? This cup is poorly supported until the final few rounds however, it's our first game against Swindon for a while and us older folk have fond memories of these games 30 years ago.
I always thought the Oxford game was a better and more bitter rivalry however Swindon was always fun especially at their place.

At lunchtime we'd sold just over 3,000. Swindon have an allocation of 721, so they won't be bringing a huge amount. 3,000 would still be very high for this stage of the League Trophy.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 09 Oct 2023 20:50

Clyde1998
Crowbar6753

At lunchtime we'd sold just over 3,000. Swindon have an allocation of 721, so they won't be bringing a huge amount. 3,000 would still be very high for this stage of the League Trophy.

No local busses running, so bus into reading, bus from the station. I'm out, cannot be arsed.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Oct 2023 06:45

Clyde1998
Crowbar6753

Indeed. Reading's last home game in this competition was a 2-1 win over Colchester in October 2001. That attracted 2,725 supporters in total and that was when Reading were a decent side playing attractive football being managed by someone who knew what they were doing.

The line-up for that game was very strong though:

Ashdown, Murty, Viveash, Mackie, Shorey, Hughes (Igoe 69), N.Smith (Harper 78), Gamble, A.Smith (Rougier 78), Forster, Henderson. Subs not used: Whitehead, Williams.

Reading crashed out of the competition in the next round though by losing 4-1 at non-league Barnet (so being cr@p against NL sides was a thing even then).

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 10 Oct 2023 10:34

Clyde1998
Crowbar6753

Totally agree where the Poxford are concerned. In fact, a lot of the Swinscum see Poxford as their main rivals anyway. For the record, Reading's main rivals have always been Aldershite and always will be. That's the time when TVP cancel all leave.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 10 Oct 2023 10:57

Sutekh
Clyde1998
Crowbar6753

Indeed. Reading's last home game in this competition was a 2-1 win over Colchester in October 2001. That attracted 2,725 supporters in total and that was when Reading were a decent side playing attractive football being managed by someone who knew what they were doing.

Ashdown, Murty, Viveash, Mackie, Shorey, Hughes (Igoe 69), N.Smith (Harper 78), Gamble, A.Smith (Rougier 78), Forster, Henderson. Subs not used: Whitehead, Williams.

Reading crashed out of the competition in the next round though by losing 4-1 at non-league Barnet (so being cr@p against NL sides was a thing even then).

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 10 Oct 2023 10:59

Clyde1998
Crowbar6753

Apparently Swindon have sold 1,400 - so they clearly had an increase in allocation at some point which wasn't mentioned (at least clearly) on their website. Our sales have increased to just under 3,900 - so we'll probably get over 5,000 in attendance after all.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Oct 2023 12:50

Clyde1998
Clyde1998
Crowbar6753

Apparently Swindon have sold 1,400 - so they clearly had an increase in allocation at some point which wasn't mentioned (at least clearly) on their website. Our sales have increased to just under 3,900 - so we'll probably get over 5,000 in attendance after all.

Possibly an attendance record for Reading in this competition then.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Oct 2023 12:51

Orion1871
Sutekh
Clyde1998 At lunchtime we'd sold just over 3,000. Swindon have an allocation of 721, so they won't be bringing a huge amount. 3,000 would still be very high for this stage of the League Trophy.

If only we could persuade him back when Selles gets the inevitable heave-ho!

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 10 Oct 2023 13:41

I have always regarded Sw*ndon as the deadliest local rivals and got that from my uncles at a very early age. Also, regular games against them stretch back to the late-19th century Southern League days, long before the Sh!ts and O*ford.

Fond memories of victories at a packed Elm Park in '67; Archie's hat-trick and his 'Fjortoft' at EP in '95; the 2-0 away win at the County Ground during an otherwise miserable 97/98 season.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 10 Oct 2023 14:06

I have done a complete U turn and I am going to this one now. As I live in Wootton Bassett I’ll be travelling up the M4 with the Swindon fans. They’re are pretty excited about this game, so it could be fun.

I was also thinking that Aldershit might become a permanent fixture again soon.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 10 Oct 2023 14:27

yeah last minute IN! for this one

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Oct 2023 14:52

With 1500 of them travelling up for a Trophy game, no chance can any Swindon fan ever say they don't care about us and don't see us as a local rival.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 10 Oct 2023 15:18

Clyde1998
Clyde1998
Crowbar6753

Ticket sales are still ongoing - we're getting at least 5,700 in tonight.

That attendance would be the tenth highest in the group stages of the current format of the EFL Trophy (starting in 2016-17) and the second highest group stage attendance in the Southern section under this format.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 10 Oct 2023 16:34

Swindon mob handed in town already. Looking forward to the bus ride up to SCL :|

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 10 Oct 2023 16:37

Zammo Swindon mob handed in town already. Looking forward to the bus ride up to SCL :|

They're just little slugs, little slugs with no personality.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 10 Oct 2023 17:37

If a draw at F-T tonight there is Penalties.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 10 Oct 2023 18:08

10 changes from Saturday

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Oct 2023 18:16

Oh no! Mola starts.

Reading: Boyce-Clarke, Mola, Holmes, Knibbs, Mukairu, Yiadom, Guinness-Walker, Wareham, Craig, Rushesha, Vickers.
Subs: Button, Dean, Stickland, Carson, Wing, Azeez, Ehibhatiomhan

Swindon Town: Ward, McEachran, Genesini, Uwakwe, Kinsella, Dworzak, Shade, Minturn, Obodo, Adams, Hart.
Subs: Fox, Keyes, Hubbard, Gray, Evans, Alston, Hutt

I take it that Abrefa is injured...
Last edited by Sutekh on 10 Oct 2023 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 10 Oct 2023 18:17

Ark Royal I have always regarded Sw*ndon as the deadliest local rivals and got that from my uncles at a very early age. Also, regular games against them stretch back to the late-19th century Southern League days, long before the Sh!ts and O*ford.

Fond memories of victories at a packed Elm Park in '67; Archie's hat-trick and his 'Fjortoft' at EP in '95; the 2-0 away win at the County Ground during an otherwise miserable 97/98 season.

Yep me too, seem to play them way more than the other two.

Remember a 4-1 home win in 1976 in the rain and another decent 2-0 away win early 1980's Gary Heale scoring in front of the packed away end.

178 posts