178 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Swindon Town (h)

by Sutekh » 08 Oct 2023 08:53

When : Tuesday October 10, 7pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

EFL Trophy again and Reading will be looking to follow up on the 9-0 win at Exeter with another win to give themselves a chance of qualifying for the knockout stages before the inevitable defeat to Arsenal's youngsters next month.

Not much really to say, both clubs will more than likely be playing kids so we can hope that Selles' tactics win out over the less experienced kids of that lot from down the road. At least it should be a welcome break from the unrelenting cr@p of what Reading do in the league and of course there might be the chance to emulate the Simod Cup season of 1988 and become possibly the only side to win both the Full and Associate Members Cups.

Referee

Aji Ajibola

Previously

Nothing

If you're not going to the game then you can follow it on RoyalsTV or BBC Radio Berkshire.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Swindon Town (h)

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 Oct 2023 09:11

10-0 pizza trophy win to buy Selles another 5 or 6 league games from which he takes 1 point.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Oct 2023 11:56

Massive opportunity to try something different, get some more competitive play in fringe players etc.

........................CBC
Abrefa, Bindon, Dorsett, NGW
..............Rushesha, Craig
Azeez..........Vickers.........Mukairu
..............Ehibhatiomhan

Pereira, Holmes, Carson, Wing, Elliott, Wareham, Ballard

Mr Sitter

by Mr Sitter » 08 Oct 2023 14:49

Anyone know whether there will be players unavailable for this due to the forthcoming internationals ?

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 08 Oct 2023 15:03

Mr Sitter Anyone know whether there will be players unavailable for this due to the forthcoming internationals ?

I don't know when players will be going off, but I believe the following players have been called up:
  • Nelson Abbey (England U20)
  • Dom Ballard (England U19)
  • Tyler Bindon (New Zealand)
  • Charlie Savage (Wales)
Plus the following players are could have been called up, but I can't find an official source to confirm their involvement:
  • Jeriel Dorsett (Montserrat)
The following players don't appear to be going on international duty, but have previously done so:
  • Kelvin Abrefa (Ghana U20)
  • Coniah Boyce-Clarke (Jamaica)
  • Mamadi Camara (Guinea-Bissau)
  • Jahmari Clarke (Jamaica U20)
  • Michael Craig (Scotland U21)
  • Ben Elliott (Cameroon)
  • Basil Tuma (Malta U21)
EDIT: Nelson Abbey added to England U20 squad.
Last edited by Clyde1998 on 09 Oct 2023 17:54, edited 2 times in total.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 08 Oct 2023 15:05

Sponsored by who gives a fcuk.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 08 Oct 2023 15:13

With the internationals in mind, I could see the team being:

CBC
Abrefa - Holmes - Abbey - NGW
Mukairu - Rushesha - Craig - Elliott
Vickers - Wareham

Subs: Pereira; Carson; Dean; Wing; Azeez; Knibbs; Tuma

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Oct 2023 16:31

NathStPaul Sponsored by might win a game.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 08 Oct 2023 16:46

As this is an incredibly meaningless match, we'll probably end up winning by 5+ goals.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 08 Oct 2023 19:19

Clyde1998
Mr Sitter Anyone know whether there will be players unavailable for this due to the forthcoming internationals ?

I don't know when players will be going off, but I believe the following players have been called up:
  • Charlie Savage (Wales)
Plus the following players are could have been called up, but I can't find an official source to confirm their involvement:
The following players don't appear to be going on international duty, but have previously done so:
  • Ben Elliott (Cameroon)
  • Basil Tuma (Malta U21)

Savage call up for my lot?

I like him a lot but my lot really must be really on their their knees.
Flip side is it might be a chance to see what he's like playing in a proper formation and whether Selles is destroying his talent. I shall watch the game. Then again it's Rob Page who is sooooooooo negative.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 09 Oct 2023 10:48

Not sure how we approach this one, if the club coaches believe sticking the first team out and smashing Swindon kits might be a morale booster, then sure go for it, especially with a short international break afterwards.

Just feel it wouldn't really help for morale though because everyone realises how much meaning this match doesn't have, even if it is Swindon.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Oct 2023 11:10

tidus_mi2 Not sure how we approach this one, if the club coaches believe sticking the first team out and smashing Swindon kits might be a morale booster, then sure go for it, especially with a short international break afterwards.

Just feel it wouldn't really help for morale though because everyone realises how much meaning this match doesn't have, even if it is Swindon.

I think Holmes and NGW should start. We need to bring back more experience and these two are relative to our squad. If Swindon are near full strength, then L2 opposition is reasonable for building match fitness and form.

Then mostly full strength, but bring in Craig and Rushesa. CM has been an issue in the league so they must be close to 1st team involvement.

But whatever line up Swindon pick, you can't replicate league pressure. Millwall were near full strength and we flourished under no expectations. We clearly haven't translated that away from home in the league.

So while dealing out a thrashing is never bad news, I wouldn’t read into such a result too much. But I can imagine a bad result feeding into the doom loop feeling.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Oct 2023 11:29

Get games to Abrefa, Holmes, NGW, Rushesha, Craig and don’t care a lot who plays otherwise

Be nice if Smith managed a cameo though

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 09 Oct 2023 11:30

Will I be able to watch our meaningless 6-0 win on RoyalsTV or is it just live audio?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 09 Oct 2023 11:48

Millsy Will I be able to watch our meaningless 6-0 win on RoyalsTV or is it just live audio?

I don't even know if the audio is like it normally is. Don't Radio Berks just do a half arsed job for Pizza Cup games don't they?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Oct 2023 12:51

Millsy Will I be able to watch our meaningless 6-0 win on RoyalsTV or is it just live audio?

Yes, you will be able to watch it.

This cup is indeed meaningless unless we get to the last 8 then everyone will suddenly be interested.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 09 Oct 2023 14:26

Ascotexgunner
Clyde1998

• Charlie Savage (Wales)
  • Ben Elliott (Cameroon)
  • Basil Tuma (Malta U21)

Savage call up for my lot?

I like him a lot but my lot really must be really on their their knees.
Flip side is it might be a chance to see what he's like playing in a proper formation and whether Selles is destroying his talent. I shall watch the game. Then again it's Rob Page who is sooooooooo negative.

It could simply be to protect the player internationally. With the incredibly stupid rules that allow a player to change their country until they've either played three matches or one competitive game, there's always a risk of a player changing their mind until they're completely locked in. He'll probably feature against Gibraltar for that reason.

That said, with the Joe Allen and Jonny Williams both retiring from internationals after the World Cup and Aaron Ramsey injured, replacements do need to be found from somewhere.

boycey

by boycey » 09 Oct 2023 14:57

What time is the meet?
I've heard they're planning to plot up early doors in the toad and trumpet.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Oct 2023 17:27

Stranded

Yes, you will be able to watch it.

This cup is indeed meaningless unless we get to the last 8 then everyone will suddenly be interested.

I thought it was different to the League Cup?

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 09 Oct 2023 18:06

Years ago, I wouldn’t have missed this for the world, but I can’t be bothered to even watch it on Royals TV. Hopefully, Smith might get a game which might benefit us for the game at Charlton.

178 posts