3413 posts
WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: TAKEOVER *NOT* CONFIMRED

by WestYorksRoyal » 18 Dec 2023 08:13

Stranded
SouthDownsRoyal
Hound
It is odd as he must be losing money each month on us, not just the falling value. You’d think he’d just want rid rather than it just dragging on with no resolution in sight

Exactly this

He is acting like a gambling addict who keeps throwing money at losing bets in the misplaced belief that the big winner is just around the corner.

So he may have this misplaced belief, that if he keeps on funding the club at the bare minimum level, at some point the tide will turn and we will start winning, getting to the PL where he can get his money back and sell on for a vastly inflated fee.

It won't happen of course but there is no logic anymore.

To have a hope of getting back to the Championship, he'd need to fund us well enough that all bills are paid, players can get hotels and we can renew contract. Not going to happen.

Perhaps if we can climb to mid table a safe L1 club is worth a bit more than a L2 destined club. But small beer compared to the Championship.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Dec 2023 08:30

WestYorksRoyal
Stranded
SouthDownsRoyal
Exactly this

He is acting like a gambling addict who keeps throwing money at losing bets in the misplaced belief that the big winner is just around the corner.

So he may have this misplaced belief, that if he keeps on funding the club at the bare minimum level, at some point the tide will turn and we will start winning, getting to the PL where he can get his money back and sell on for a vastly inflated fee.

To have a hope of getting back to the Championship, he'd need to fund us well enough that all bills are paid, players can get hotels and we can renew contract. Not going to happen.

Perhaps if we can climb to mid table a safe L1 club is worth a bit more than a L2 destined club. But small beer compared to the Championship.

I think he'd rather gamble on Selles turning around form and minimising his ongoing losses in the short term and the club folding if it doesn't happen, than be perceived as weak in negotiations and 'lose' on a deal.

I don't think it's a coincidence that around the time negotiations seem to have broken down we won a couple of games. I suspect he tried to change the terms to get a better deal when it looked like we might have a chance of staying up still.

The man is clearly a massive fukwit.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Dec 2023 08:32

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal
Stranded

I think he'd rather gamble on Selles turning around form and minimising his ongoing losses in the short term and the club folding if it doesn't happen, than be perceived as weak in negotiations and 'lose' on a deal.

I don't think it's a coincidence that around the time negotiations seem to have broken down we won a couple of games. I suspect he tried to change the terms to get a better deal when it looked like we might have a chance of staying up still.

The man is clearly a massive fukwit.

Yeah something like this I expect

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 18 Dec 2023 08:37

No doubt it'll backfire on him and by extension everyone. Perhaps Selles gets us out of the relegation zone, another points deduction for HMRC drags us in and it kills momentum to relegate us.

A new owner would probably get more leniency for the HMRC charge. Could be the difference between a suspended points deduction and immediate.
Last edited by WestYorksRoyal on 18 Dec 2023 08:39, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Dec 2023 08:39

When we talk about losing face, I don't think he cares about the public perception. I think he cares about his millionaire pcunt 'friends'.

What he doesn't realise is that being responsible for one of the oldest teams in world football and the biggest club to fold in the home of football for at least 40 years, is going to be a bit of a bigger deal than his other clubs when it comes to losing face.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 18 Dec 2023 09:02

Snowflake Royal When we talk about losing face, I don't think he cares about the public perception. I think he cares about his millionaire pcunt 'friends'.

What he doesn't realise is that being responsible for one of the oldest teams in world football and the biggest club to fold in the home of football for at least 40 years, is going to be a bit of a bigger deal than his other clubs when it comes to losing face.

You're clutching at straws mate ...

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 18 Dec 2023 09:25

Royalwaster
Snowflake Royal When we talk about losing face, I don't think he cares about the public perception. I think he cares about his millionaire pcunt 'friends'.

His millionaire Mayfair mates probably consider football a hooligans' game to entertain the proletariat.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 18 Dec 2023 09:43

The main straw clutching is that we're still going off rumours; no concrete evidence that it's off. When Genevra had a bid rejected previously, they told SSN. Who knows how other parties may react to the latest news. And tbh, maybe Dai has a point. In the past month we've gone from looking L2 guaranteed to a team who can stay up but also develop into a good side over 2 - 3 years. Green shoots of recovery for the new owner, but the risk is Dai tramples all over them again.

If I was advising on this deal, I'd be recommending contingent consideration terms. Say £20m up front, a further £5m if we stay up this season and a further £10m if we're back in the Championship within 3 years.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 18 Dec 2023 11:37

When was the last time an English club bigger than Reading folded?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 18 Dec 2023 11:41

tmesis

We're not big enough to move the dial.

If Moshiri simply refused to sell Everton and let them get liquidated, parliament would magically discover the power to protect them as they did with Chelsea and Abramhovic. We wouldn't even make the back pages; we'd get a Dan Roan BBC article then a long, angry read on the Athletic and then would be forgotten about.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Dec 2023 11:42

I guess Bristol City were of equal size in 1982. They technically folded.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 18 Dec 2023 11:42

tmesis

Wimbledon?

They obviously weren't bigger than us at the time and we're probably still bigger than them when we folded, but from a history point of view - they're probably bigger than us. Having played for a number of years in the top flight, which also included an FA Cup win.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Dec 2023 12:11

From Despair To Where? I guess Bristol City were of equal size in 1982. They technically folded.

Middlesbrough technically folded in 1986 but rules then allowed a new company to be set up and continue the football side from the same position.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 18 Dec 2023 12:25

Stranded
From Despair To Where? I guess Bristol City were of equal size in 1982. They technically folded.

Middlesbrough technically folded in 1986 but rules then allowed a new company to be set up and continue the football side from the same position.

Different era. Wasn't that before promotion to the football league on pure footballing merit? These days, EFL clubs would never allow a club to re-form at this level, nor the NL.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 18 Dec 2023 12:41

Stranded

They also had to repay all debts in full not just football iirc, unlike the clubs that have gone bust and carried on since.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Dec 2023 12:57

Royalwaster

I'm not sure you understand the post if you think that's clutching at straws. I've not said anything about it meaning any sort of positive outcome for us. The reverse, in fact.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 18 Dec 2023 12:59

Hendo
tmesis

Wimbledon?

They obviously weren't bigger than us at the time and we're probably still bigger than them when we folded, but from a history point of view - they're probably bigger than us. Having played for a number of years in the top flight, which also included an FA Cup win.

Wimbledon were a poorly supported club who had a few years in the sun. Their top flight crowds were a joke until they moved and could give away teams up to 20,000 seats.

They weren't bigger than Reading, just more successful.

Regarding clubs that just started a new company and carried on, like Bristol City, I don't think they count.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Dec 2023 13:10

Hendo
tmesis

Wimbledon?

They had a major trophy win and more time in the top flight but they had lower support (10k in 93/94 in the PL) and much less time in the league than us - they didn’t get out of Non League until the late 70s.

I'd say they were smaller, but had bigger achievements. But a case could be argued, its fairly close.

They're also blurred by being moved and rebranded rather than ceasing to exist. And neither Middlesbrough or, I presume, Brizzle ceased to exist.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 18 Dec 2023 14:02

From what i've heard, Dai has just completely disengaged. He doesn't follow what's going on at the club at all and isn't taking any of the takeover stuff seriously.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 18 Dec 2023 14:20

Elm Park Kid From what i've heard, Dai has just completely disengaged. He doesn't follow what's going on at the club at all and isn't taking any of the takeover stuff seriously.

Sounds about right

It’s like he’s just got bored, but why not sell up and go away with a few quid

3413 posts