Hob Nob Addict

Re: TAKEOVER *NOT* CONFIMRED

by RG30 » 07 Mar 2024 09:37

It is definitely option 1.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 07 Mar 2024 09:43

Probably a mix of both. I suspect things were just as dire in the autumn, we know SCL had to step in and we had a mix of late wage payments, HMRC defaults and suppliers leaving. The difference now is we have the suspended EFL penalty.

But I also wonder if in the autumn there was optimism that the club would be sold shortly and more patience, whereas now everyone is sick to the back teeth and these noises are being released to force the issue.

So it's dire, but it has been all season.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Mar 2024 10:16

Has a phoenix club process been started or shall we just turn up for Reading City next season?

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 07 Mar 2024 10:52

blythspartan
Stranded On another note - the news over the past few days - there are 2 readings into it

1. The club truly is utterly screwed and money will definitely run out in the next couple of weeks unless they can source funding or

2. This is all part of a plan to try and get some momentum going. Over the past few days, Howe goes on a podcast and gives a relatively optimistic view of things - process moving forward (but slowly) and hoping to deliver something by end of March/April time. Puts a deadline out in the open.

He then asks a trusted colleague, who a lot of fans do like/trust (not all but most) to put out a statement via the official site, thanking fans for patience, making it clear again there are interested parties but some are more interested in the real estate. This pushes out the message that this is about the club but look at what you get with it - nice stadium and incredible facilities.

Finally, use the channel you've created with a fan group and (either with or without their agreement) push the narrative that the club literally has no money left and needs investment urgently. This could have the impact of letting prospective owners know that if they don't move fast then the club will be gone and that lovely real estate wil suddenly not be worth anywhere near as much - and redevelopment of either may not realistically be a possibility for any other use than it currently has.

So yeah, it's probably 1 but if there is a deal "close" but taking a while to get final things in place, the the above could create the urgency needed. But probably not and we'll all be either enjoying the delights of Combined Counties football or be done with it next season.

A good post as always Stranded.

To me the urgency just signals he'd take a lowball offer.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 07 Mar 2024 11:21

I just bought myself my first Reading shirt for many years. It was a bargain £22 from Kitbag and it might be our last ever one.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Mar 2024 11:24

blythspartan I just bought myself my first Reading shirt for many years. It was a bargain £22 from Kitbag and it might be our last ever one.

Keep it in whatever packaging it comes in - could be worth a small fortune in years to come.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Mar 2024 15:57

I suspect if we fold, I'll bung some money at a phoenix and then quickly give up as its not the same and a shit level. Then watch a few Cambridge games before deciding a step down isn't any better and just give up entirely on football.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Mar 2024 16:54

Snowflake Royal I suspect if we fold, I'll bung some money at a phoenix and then quickly give up as its not the same and a shit level. Then watch a few Cambridge games before deciding a step down isn't any better and just give up entirely on football.

Supporting Reading these last few seasons suggests acceptance that football is over. And it's difficult not to agree with so much "basket-casery" everywhere and what there is left being run into the ground by leading clubs and the authorities for the sake of £££££s

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 07 Mar 2024 18:35

WestYorksRoyal Probably a mix of both. I suspect things were just as dire in the autumn, we know SCL had to step in and we had a mix of late wage payments, HMRC defaults and suppliers leaving. The difference now is we have the suspended EFL penalty.

But I also wonder if in the autumn there was optimism that the club would be sold shortly and more patience, whereas now everyone is sick to the back teeth and these noises are being released to force the issue.

They probably were as dire in the autumn but we seemed to be able to get the money together to pay the tax and wages, except for November when there was enough to pay the players with the remaining staff paid a couple of days later.

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the tax has been paid on time since early autumn.

What we don't know is how far behind we got with other football creditors which could also trigger -2.

We have to hope either we get to exclusivity with the sale by the 22nd, or hope we somehow cobble the money together again.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 07 Mar 2024 18:45

Mid Sussex Royal
WestYorksRoyal Probably a mix of both. I suspect things were just as dire in the autumn, we know SCL had to step in and we had a mix of late wage payments, HMRC defaults and suppliers leaving. The difference now is we have the suspended EFL penalty.

They probably were as dire in the autumn but we seemed to be able to get the money together to pay the tax and wages, except for November when there was enough to pay the players with the remaining staff paid a couple of days later.

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the tax has been paid on time since early autumn.

What we don't know is how far behind we got with other football creditors which could also trigger -2.

We have to hope either we get to exclusivity with the sale by the 22nd, or hope we somehow cobble the money together again.

HMRC were unpaid for a lot of that period. I suspect the club will be looking into options. SCL again, perhaps even a miraculous receipt of money from Hong Kong. Or perhaps we won't be able to pay. The best outcome is exclusivity and a loan from the buyer to tide us over. Perhaps Howe was putting it out in the domain to add pressure.

I worry about looking to SCL again. They're a local business done good, but if you look at their numbers they can't afford to loan large sums to an unreliable debtor. Their net profit and cash balances are measured in hundreds of thousands, not millions.

Edit: I was wrong. Their last accounts showed £1.9m cash in the bank. Still different ball park to football club owners.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 07 Mar 2024 19:44

Stranded On another note - the news over the past few days - there are 2 readings into it

1. The club truly is utterly screwed and money will definitely run out in the next couple of weeks unless they can source funding or

2. This is all part of a plan to try and get some momentum going. Over the past few days, Howe goes on a podcast and gives a relatively optimistic view of things - process moving forward (but slowly) and hoping to deliver something by end of March/April time. Puts a deadline out in the open.

He then asks a trusted colleague, who a lot of fans do like/trust (not all but most) to put out a statement via the official site, thanking fans for patience, making it clear again there are interested parties but some are more interested in the real estate. This pushes out the message that this is about the club but look at what you get with it - nice stadium and incredible facilities.

Finally, use the channel you've created with a fan group and (either with or without their agreement) push the narrative that the club literally has no money left and needs investment urgently. This could have the impact of letting prospective owners know that if they don't move fast then the club will be gone and that lovely real estate wil suddenly not be worth anywhere near as much - and redevelopment of either may not realistically be a possibility for any other use than it currently has.

So yeah, it's probably 1 but if there is a deal "close" but taking a while to get final things in place, the the above could create the urgency needed. But probably not and we'll all be either enjoying the delights of Combined Counties football or be done with it next season.

I'm disappointed to say that the truth is 1.

Though, there is always the chance that Dai eventually just gives us what we need, as he has eventually done in the past.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 08 Mar 2024 07:37

I did my bit yesterday although it’s probably pointless. I ended up buying 3 home shirts, a couple of tickets for each remaining home game ( I couldn’t see Blackpool) for 2 good mates who can’t afford to go these days and some stuff I don’t really need. If we end up being liquidated that’s me done with football for good.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Mar 2024 08:23

blythspartan I did my bit yesterday although it’s probably pointless. I ended up buying 3 home shirts, a couple of tickets for each remaining home game ( I couldn’t see Blackpool) for 2 good mates who can’t afford to go these days and some stuff I don’t really need. If we end up being liquidated that’s me done with football for good.

yeah I might start going to watch Hampton and Richmond every so often with my boy but I'll be done with football as well

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 08 Mar 2024 08:39

Hmmm, not sure what I would do. I’m sure there would be a phoenix club, but unless I could guarantee ease of parking or rail journey, I’m not sure if I would be up for that. I would certainly miss the football, but not the journey, which has become increasingly difficult since I arrived in Sussex a quarter of a century ago. Crawley is my nearest league club, but I would probably opt for Dorking Wanderers which is so easy by train.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Mar 2024 08:44

God, those prices are insane for hoodies and t shirts etc. And I really don't want a current shirt.

I've chucked a few quid their way on some socks and shorts for playing in though.

What madness was charging £74 originally for a shirt with a specific player name and number on it!?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 08 Mar 2024 08:45

leon
blythspartan I did my bit yesterday although it’s probably pointless. I ended up buying 3 home shirts, a couple of tickets for each remaining home game ( I couldn’t see Blackpool) for 2 good mates who can’t afford to go these days and some stuff I don’t really need. If we end up being liquidated that’s me done with football for good.

yeah I might start going to watch Hampton and Richmond every so often with my boy but I'll be done with football as well

I'm not sure what level that is but I can only say I'm thoroughly enjoying watching Brackley in National League North for the past few years. Has given me renewed interest in football

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 Mar 2024 08:57

I think once people come to terms with anger and grief, there will be decent support for a phoenix club. Look at what AFC Wimbledon have achieved as a fan owned club and tell me you wouldn't enjoy the ride. I work with colleagues who support Halifax and Darlington who have a great time following their phoenix clubs.

Of course, these clubs had an advantage that there was a stadium available. But I'm sure we'd be creative and find solutions.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Mar 2024 09:11

WestYorksRoyal I think once people come to terms with anger and grief, there will be decent support for a phoenix club. Look at what AFC Wimbledon have achieved as a fan owned club and tell me you wouldn't enjoy the ride. I work with colleagues who support Halifax and Darlington who have a great time following their phoenix clubs.

Of course, these clubs had an advantage that there was a stadium available. But I'm sure we'd be creative and find solutions.

If any phoenix club wanted to play within Reading, then there aren't many obvious choices - you would most likely be looking at Scours Lane as that holds 2000 apparently, but not sure how Reading City would feel about that. Else Palmer Park but that is an athletics stadium and only holds 800.

Probably be looking at playing at Maidenhead or somewhere like that to begin with at least.

Could be fun if it has to happen - build a midfield around James Harper as he is still knocking around at that sort of level :wink:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Mar 2024 09:39

To be honest, there's been such a disconnect created over the past decade that I'm not sure I could be bothered with any other club.

I've toyed with Marine but the ball ache of getting to the ground isn't adequately compensated for by any great enthusiasm for wanting to watch them.

I'm quite content with the idea of giving up on football if we go to the wall.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 08 Mar 2024 09:45

Sutekh Has a phoenix club process been started or shall we just turn up for Reading City next season?

Could be the reset. Sorry, restart, the club needs.
Last edited by Orion1871 on 08 Mar 2024 14:37, edited 1 time in total.

3412 posts