TAKEOVER *NOT* CONFIMRED

3413 posts
WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: TAKEOVER *NOT* CONFIMRED

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 Mar 2024 09:48

Everyone is different, but days like last Saturday at Carlisle are the sort of days that make you remembered why you do this. And if I can enjoy beating a team bottom of the league that much, think how much I'd enjoy our little club getting out of the national league if we got that far.

There's simply nothing else that comes close to the high, except perhaps England in a tournaments every 2 years. I don't think football as a casual fan and admiring high quality games between City and Liverpool would come close. I need a club I can back to the hilt and that club can only be Reading, whether in its current form or a new club starting at the bottom.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Mar 2024 09:50

WestYorksRoyal I think once people come to terms with anger and grief, there will be decent support for a phoenix club. Look at what AFC Wimbledon have achieved as a fan owned club and tell me you wouldn't enjoy the ride. I work with colleagues who support Halifax and Darlington who have a great time following their phoenix clubs.

Of course, these clubs had an advantage that there was a stadium available. But I'm sure we'd be creative and find solutions.

If I lived near Reading it would be different.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 08 Mar 2024 10:03

I watch Chesterfield occasionally when I’m up there working, but my most local team is Royal Wootton Bassett. There’s certainly no way I’d watch Swindon. As I said before I wouldn’t bother with football anymore, probably not even with England.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 08 Mar 2024 10:18

I will just watch Reading's second club, Reading City

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 08 Mar 2024 13:23

Obviously I know that I'd follow a phoenix club but I was surprised when I asked my 12 and 14 yr old if the worst happened would they trek along every weekend to watch us play Combined Counties and they both said it was a no brainer and they'd keep going
I think the novelty of being able to go to most away games as they're localised and also cheap as chips is something they both like the idea of.

At the end of the day for me if they played in a ploughed field against the blind school I'd still be there

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 08 Mar 2024 14:37

morganb
WestYorksRoyal Well aren't all of you right? For some it's a family day out, for some it's a day on the piss with their friends, for some it's a place they can escape from life for a few hours, others something they keep in touch will from a distance and a connection to their home town. Whatever it means to you, the thought of losing it is tragic.

Get this put on the billboard outside Reading station

As if by magic:

https://twitter.com/CazParker1871/statu ... 5384921518

Aye up creative #ReadingFC fans! Have you ever hoped you could see something you designed on a billboard?

Well... today is your lucky day! We want fans to design a rallying call to get fans to the remaining home games. Winner gets to see their design as well as 2 home tix.

Fans have until Fri 15th March to send me their best graphic ideas. Winner will see their design showing in the town & I'll pay for 2 tix to a home game of their choice.

Looking forward to seeing what people come up with.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 08 Mar 2024 14:42

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal I think once people come to terms with anger and grief, there will be decent support for a phoenix club. Look at what AFC Wimbledon have achieved as a fan owned club and tell me you wouldn't enjoy the ride. I work with colleagues who support Halifax and Darlington who have a great time following their phoenix clubs.

Of course, these clubs had an advantage that there was a stadium available. But I'm sure we'd be creative and find solutions.

If I lived near Reading it would be different.

Likewise

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 08 Mar 2024 22:46

RFCMod Obviously I know that I'd follow a phoenix club but I was surprised when I asked my 12 and 14 yr old if the worst happened would they trek along every weekend to watch us play Combined Counties and they both said it was a no brainer and they'd keep going
I think the novelty of being able to go to most away games as they're localised and also cheap as chips is something they both like the idea of.

At the end of the day for me if they played in a ploughed field against the blind school I'd still be there

I think many would, but the amount that would go along to Scours Lane every other week in the Combined Counties League would be far lower than the number who go if we were still at the Madejski (and not being crippled by rental costs). I think more would go to watch at Maidenhead, just because Scours Lane is such a dreadful ground.

The only thing it has going for it is space around it, meaning it could be built up to a semi-respectable level, although even that would cost millions these days.

Palmer Park is impossible. The pitch is too small. It has a running track, and is in a public park.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Mar 2024 09:36

tmesis
RFCMod Obviously I know that I'd follow a phoenix club but I was surprised when I asked my 12 and 14 yr old if the worst happened would they trek along every weekend to watch us play Combined Counties and they both said it was a no brainer and they'd keep going

I think many would, but the amount that would go along to Scours Lane every other week in the Combined Counties League would be far lower than the number who go if we were still at the Madejski (and not being crippled by rental costs). I think more would go to watch at Maidenhead, just because Scours Lane is such a dreadful ground.

The only thing it has going for it is space around it, meaning it could be built up to a semi-respectable level, although even that would cost millions these days.

Palmer Park is impossible. The pitch is too small. It has a running track, and is in a public park.

Reading collapsing would provide boosts for the support Maidenhead, Bracknell, Slough etc. at least until any phoenix club reached/surpassed the levels those clubs would be playing at. Also means BBC Berks should report properly on senior non league football rather than just pay occasional lip service to Maidenhead and Slough.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 09 Mar 2024 10:06

Sutekh
tmesis

Reading collapsing would provide boosts for the support Maidenhead, Bracknell, Slough etc. at least until any phoenix club reached/surpassed the levels those clubs would be playing at. Also means BBC Berks should report properly on senior non league football rather than just pay occasional lip service to Maidenhead and Slough.

It depends on the set-up, but any phoenix club that still somehow feels like the same club would, I expect, retain support from surrounding areas.

Fans would only probably 'switch' to those other clubs if they felt Reading FC was effectively dead and wouldn't come back for a very long time. It's more likely that the vast majority wouldn't go and watch anybody else instead.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 09 Mar 2024 11:52

I have "been there" as a Newport County Fan

Going out of the league and bust was horrible
and frankly I thought the re-launch was a hopeless
dream...

We were forced to play outside Wales (at Moreton-in-the Marsh)
for a fair while.

With four others, I ran the 80 miles to Moreton, raising cash
and the involvement, the great NEW rivalries was brilliant.

Since the death and rebirth we have had championships,
promotions, FA Cup giant-killing days, TWO appearances at
Wembley (consecutive years) and are now on the fringe
of the POs in League 2, despite a tiny budget.

I would much MUCH prefer Reading FC to hang in there,
to stay afloat, stay up, but, trust me, if the spirit is there
(and I am sure it would be) RFC can come back, bigger,
stronger, better.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Mar 2024 12:03

There is absolutely zero chance of a Reading Phoenix club coming back bigger.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 09 Mar 2024 12:15

Snowball I have "been there" as a Newport County Fan

dream...

for a fair while.

stronger, better.

Didn't realise it had been quite so bad for County. It makes for a great story. But, of all places, why Moreton-in Marsh?

Now, I'm not sure about coming back bigger, but better? That seems a possibility. A community owned club that maybe gets external investors until fully back on it's feet, unlikely to make the same mistakes again, and with an enhanced sense of ownership amongst fans that literally brought a phoenix club back from nothing? It make take ten years or more, and I hope it doesn't come to it, but life, and football, will go on.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Mar 2024 12:33

Snowflake Royal There is absolutely zero chance of a Reading Phoenix club coming back bigger.

Near impossible. It would take a massive effort to get us back to pre SJM levels, then another SJM to pick up the baton in an era where everything is 10x more expensive.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 09 Mar 2024 12:38

Armadillo Roadkill

dream...

for a fair while.

stronger, better.

Didn't realise it had been quite so bad for County. It makes for a great story. But, of all places, why Moreton-in Marsh?

Now, I'm not sure about coming back bigger, but better? That seems a possibility. A community owned club that maybe gets external investors until fully back on it's feet, unlikely to make the same mistakes again, and with an enhanced sense of ownership amongst fans that literally brought a phoenix club back from nothing? It make take ten years or more, and I hope it doesn't come to it, but life, and football, will go on.

IIRC, that would've been around the same time as the Welsh Premier League was set up. The Welsh FA decided if non-league clubs based in Wales didn't join the Welsh pyramid, they couldn't play matches in Wales (I think Barry Town played at Worcester) - something the courts decided was illegal. I think it was a desperate attempt to get the best Welsh non-league clubs to join the Welsh league.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 09 Mar 2024 12:55

Armadillo Roadkill

dream...

for a fair while.

stronger, better.

It also helped that eventually, when allowed back in Wales, Newport had grounds to play in. First at Someton Park, if all too briefly, and the club could really kick on when allowed to use Rodney Parade. It would have been a struggle if the club had had to stay at Spytty Park, but even that is far better than anything Reading has as an alternative.

Reading doesn't have a 2nd venue, in any sport, that wouldn't need massive redevelopment. The 'biggest' is Rams RFC in Sonning, which has all of 300 seats. Everywhere else would require a 100% rebuild. It'd probably be more akin to Darlington's troubles than other reformed clubs.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Mar 2024 14:31

Club legend he might be but give him a microphone and Ady becomes one of the biggest planks going - "wouldn't be happy with 16th"!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Mar 2024 14:37

tmesis
Armadillo Roadkill

dream...

for a fair while.

stronger, better.

It also helped that eventually, when allowed back in Wales, Newport had grounds to play in. First at Someton Park, if all too briefly, and the club could really kick on when allowed to use Rodney Parade. It would have been a struggle if the club had had to stay at Spytty Park, but even that is far better than anything Reading has as an alternative.

Reading doesn't have a 2nd venue, in any sport, that wouldn't need massive redevelopment. The 'biggest' is Rams RFC in Sonning, which has all of 300 seats. Everywhere else would require a 100% rebuild. It'd probably be more akin to Darlington's troubles than other reformed clubs.

Not if Reading were re-starting. There's a ton of possibilities esp. with groundshares in the area and places that could probably grow with Reading if Reading couldn't get back to the Mad Stad.

But it ain't going to come to phoenix clubs and moving out, just believe and the club will see it through OK.

Killed any desire for a Chinese though!

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 09 Mar 2024 20:21

Sutekh
Not if Reading were re-starting. There's a ton of possibilities esp. with groundshares in the area and places that could probably grow with Reading if Reading couldn't get back to the Mad Stad.

Other than Maidenhead, nothing is really viable, and even that can only be viable short term. Ground shares at current league grounds would be a disaster. They'd be expensive and get poor crowds. All the local non-league grounds are, unfortunately, pretty crap. Several places in the area hold a supposed 2000, but if you've ever been to a crowd of that size at somewhere like Bracknell or Didcot, you'll know at best 1500 have any kind of even half-decent view. Yes, some could in theory be made bigger with new stands, but then you have planning permission issues and the fact that many just don't have suitable access for crowds bigger than that.

But it ain't going to come to phoenix clubs and moving out, just believe and the club will see it through OK.

At the moment I am optimistic that a buyer will step in. I'm just not totally confident that the buyer won't be more interested in the real estate assets than the football club.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 10 Mar 2024 13:37

Reading through the last couple of pages makes me feel like I have missed some big news :?

3413 posts