TAKEOVER *NOT* CONFIMRED

3413 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: TAKEOVER *NOT* CONFIMRED

by Stranded » 11 Mar 2024 08:55

Snowflake Royal The signs of doom keep on stacking up.

Yep, come to terms that the club is done unless I'm pleasantly surprised by something coming from left wing.

Just feels like the twat is "winning".

Coming to peace with the fact and looks like I may just take my boy to Eintracht games.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Mar 2024 09:15

Stranded

Yep, come to terms that the club is done unless I'm pleasantly surprised by something coming from left wing.

Coming to peace with the fact and looks like I may just take my boy to Eintracht games.

Given Azeez's current form, glad nothing's being expected from the right wing.

under the tin

by under the tin » 11 Mar 2024 09:42

Sutekh
Stranded

Given Azeez's current form, glad nothing's being expected from the "far right" wing.

Topically edited for you, Sutes. 8)

What the news about Bearwood screams at me is that there's definitely no money whatsoever coming out of China anymore, and whether that's directly down to Dai or the authorities is irrelevant.
Looks like It's going to end up with buckets being rattled outside football grounds asking for donations towards a paddle before season's end as we're now some way along sh1t creek.

under the tin

by under the tin » 11 Mar 2024 09:43

Sutekh
Stranded

Given Azeez's current form, glad nothing's being expected from the "far right" wing.

Topically edited for you, Sutes. 8)

What the news about Bearwood screams at me is that there's definitely no money whatsoever coming out of China anymore, and whether that's directly down to Dai or the authorities is irrelevant.
Looks like It's going to end up with buckets being rattled outside football grounds asking for donations towards a paddle before season's end as we're now some way along sh1t creek.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Mar 2024 09:56

Yeh, whether by choice or circumstance (I suspect the former) we're not getting a penny more from Dai.

The only hope is that SCL, other local businesses and wealthy fans can cobble together enough to see us through until the end of the season and in that time we find a buyer. As SBWD have said this morning, collection buckets and just giving pages will barely touch the sides.

This is where the industry needs to change. There is easily enough money in the game to save us. There should be an insolvency fund. Place us into administration, deduct 12 points to relegate us but crucially find a buyer. Proceeds of the sale pay off administrator, then reimburse the fund and Dai gets the leftovers.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 11 Mar 2024 10:10

I was chatting to a few mates/cousins yesterday and the general consensus was we’re as good as finished.

As mentioned above, there is enough money in football to help clubs in our situation, but it’s never going to happen as the greedy oxf*rd in the Premiership don’t like sharing. I’d like to think that when we become the first ex premier league team to go bust it will open up a few eyes, but in reality only Reading fans will really care. There might be a few mutterings on Sky for a while and then it’ll be forgotten.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 11 Mar 2024 10:20

All the players will become free agents, most of them won`t have too many problems finding new clubs, and quite frankly they will be happy to be released from this shit show.
Just wonder what will happen to the stadium, it will still be there for quite a while and a reminder of what used to be.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Mar 2024 10:24

windermereROYAL All the players will become free agents, most of them won`t have too many problems finding new clubs, and quite frankly they will be happy to be released from this shit show.

Will they all? Who would take Dean and Button? Or players like Abrefa and John Clarke who threatened to impact the 1st team but have had brutal injuries?

And that's before you look at all the U18s, U16s etc., where will they go? The nearest academies are in London and hard to get into (as in competitively, not geographically)

Footballing careers will be lost because of this, even if the likes of Wing, Smith etc., will be fine.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 11 Mar 2024 10:31

windermereROYAL All the players will become free agents, most of them won`t have too many problems finding new clubs, and quite frankly they will be happy to be released from this shit show.
Just wonder what will happen to the stadium, it will still be there for quite a while and a reminder of what used to be.

The Thais will probably buy the land and use it to expand their development.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Mar 2024 10:39

Orion1871

Haha, good luck. Stadium is protected, and any development will need the help of the council who will presumably be extremely hostile towards anyone looking to profit from the demise of Reading FC.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 11 Mar 2024 10:40

Orion1871

Talking of the Thais, they need to ask for their money back from this guy!

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reading-fcs-thai-owners-follow-11294150

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 11 Mar 2024 10:41

SouthDownsRoyal
Greatwesternline Put on decent street food and bars outside the ground and spending an extra hour at the stadium after a game wouldnt be the end of the world for many. What is there to get home to on a Saturday? I've been a "home" fan at the new White Hart Lane, and at the Amex, and both clubs go to considerable lengths to monetise their supporters after the games, which also helps to reduce congestion after the games as well.

What do spurs and bha do to attract fans to stay after the game
Cheap beer would work, why trek into town when you can drink a the ground?

Spurs seem to make an absolute fortune from entertainment, Definitely something we should try to copy as much as we can.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Mar 2024 11:04

Any straws to clutch at from SJM's Bearwood visit? It's well known that he's not as wealthy as he was, but this must be killing him to watch. All his work over 25 years or so, a model club others aspired to copy. All could count for nothing. Surely he must be thinking about how whatever he has left can help the situation?

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 11 Mar 2024 11:06

We usually get an update from STAR at the start of the week, be interesting to see what Howe says as he seems to have spun them a load of nonsense to date.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 11 Mar 2024 11:07

WestYorksRoyal Any straws to clutch at from SJM's Bearwood visit? It's well known that he's not as wealthy as he was, but this must be killing him to watch. All his work over 25 years or so, a model club others aspired to copy. All could count for nothing. Surely he must be thinking about how whatever he has left can help the situation?

Yep was thinking this. He supposedly doesn't have the cash now but he must know a number of local high net worth business people

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Mar 2024 11:13

Mid Sussex Royal
WestYorksRoyal Any straws to clutch at from SJM's Bearwood visit? It's well known that he's not as wealthy as he was, but this must be killing him to watch. All his work over 25 years or so, a model club others aspired to copy. All could count for nothing. Surely he must be thinking about how whatever he has left can help the situation?

Yep was thinking this. He supposedly doesn't have the cash now but he must know a number of local high net worth business people

At his peak he was worth c. £400m. Even if he has lost 90% of it, that leaves some to help provide a short term fix.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Mar 2024 11:27

blythspartan I was chatting to a few mates/cousins yesterday and the general consensus was we’re as good as finished.

As mentioned above, there is enough money in football to help clubs in our situation, but it’s never going to happen as the greedy oxf*rd in the Premiership don’t like sharing. I’d like to think that when we become the first ex premier league team to go bust it will open up a few eyes, but in reality only Reading fans will really care. There might be a few mutterings on Sky for a while and then it’ll be forgotten.

Absolutely agree that there's enough money in the game for the FA or FL to build contingency funds to help clubs in dire trouble, but the likes of Mancheater City are never going to agree to give more to cover that scenario. If they agreed to it all they'd just say "take it out of what you already get". Perhaps this is where licencing should come in, clubs to pay an annual fee to the FA or FL/PL to be licenced and that funding could be used to help clubs being stitched up by **** owners.

Trouble is it all gives rise to the mantra of "don't worry everyone, when our owner drags us down the toilet the FL will have us covered". But then if there was a properly empowered regulator and proper FFP rules nearly all this cobblers could be caught and stopped before many of these issues got to the state of current things at Reading.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Mar 2024 11:32

Sutekh
blythspartan I was chatting to a few mates/cousins yesterday and the general consensus was we’re as good as finished.

Absolutely agree that there's enough money in the game for the FA or FL to build contingency funds to help clubs in dire trouble, but the likes of Mancheater City are never going to agree to give more to cover that scenario. If they agreed to it all they'd just say "take it out of what you already get". Perhaps this is where licencing should come in, clubs to pay an annual fee to the FA or FL/PL to be licenced and that funding could be used to help clubs being stitched up by **** owners.

Trouble is it all gives rise to the mantra of "don't worry everyone, when our owner drags us down the toilet the FL will have us covered". But then if there was a properly empowered regulator and proper FFP rules nearly all this cobblers could be caught and stopped before many of these issues got to the state of current things at Reading.

They shouldn't have a choice. We should be telling owners the terms they abide by to compete in our pyramid and get the prestige associated with that. The problem is the PL and EFL are effectively in the control of oil states, hedge funds and billionaires when the game in this country should be controlled by the fans.

Get the regulator in and don't give them a choice. They'll all howl about it hurting the PL, then 5 years later it'll still be the best league in the world and all will be forgotten.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Mar 2024 12:40

WestYorksRoyal
Mid Sussex Royal

At his peak he was worth c. £400m. Even if he has lost 90% of it, that leaves some to help provide a short term fix.

But why would he effectively give money to Dai, that he'll never see again.

He's too old to get involved again.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Mar 2024 12:47

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal
Mid Sussex Royal

But why would he effectively give money to Dai, that he'll never see again.

He's too old to get involved again.

Desperation. The bet anybody is making is that their generosity will help the club survive to the end of the season at which point a takeover happens.

Highly uncertain, unlikely to get the money back as a buyer may negotiate it down anyway, could be tipping money down the drain. But sometimes emotions override rational business decisions. This is the dilemma facing anybody with the means to help.

3413 posts