Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: TAKEOVER *NOT* CONFIMRED

by Stranded » 11 Mar 2024 12:59

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal
Mid Sussex Royal
Yep was thinking this. He supposedly doesn't have the cash now but he must know a number of local high net worth business people

At his peak he was worth c. £400m. Even if he has lost 90% of it, that leaves some to help provide a short term fix.

But why would he effectively give money to Dai, that he'll never see again.

He's too old to get involved again.

I guess, if he is contemplating buying the training ground - and I think his visit was nothing but conincidence - then I don't think it would be a purchase of the mind but of the heart.

He built the club up to be a top end Champ/bottom end PL club - then sold, which was the right thing for him and the club to do at that time, as the hope was to sell to someone who could stabilise the club in the PL. We all know what has happened since.

It wouldn't surprise me if he feels a bit of guilt about where the club has found itself and if you were him - at 82 years old - and you could do something to save the club (again) it may be a hard thing to resist.

Hard to know how much he still has, as there doesn't seem to be much about his wealth out there since he moved away from ownership - but last estimates put him at 80 to 90m. Nowhere near enough to run a club but more than enough to throw away 10-15m buying the training ground.

I doubt it would happen but if there was wind Dai was going to make this announcement, it would be remiss of anyone involved in the process not to sound him out.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Mar 2024 13:01

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal At his peak he was worth c. £400m. Even if he has lost 90% of it, that leaves some to help provide a short term fix.

But why would he effectively give money to Dai, that he'll never see again.

I guess, if he is contemplating buying the training ground - and I think his visit was nothing but conincidence - then I don't think it would be a purchase of the mind but of the heart.

He built the club up to be a top end Champ/bottom end PL club - then sold, which was the right thing for him and the club to do at that time, as the hope was to sell to someone who could stabilise the club in the PL. We all know what has happened since.

It wouldn't surprise me if he feels a bit of guilt about where the club has found itself and if you were him - at 82 years old - and you could do something to save the club (again) it may be a hard thing to resist.

Hard to know how much he still has, as there doesn't seem to be much about his wealth out there since he moved away from ownership - but last estimates put him at 80 to 90m. Nowhere near enough to run a club but more than enough to throw away 10-15m buying the training ground.

I doubt it would happen but if there was wind Dai was going to make this announcement, it would be remiss of anyone involved in the process not to sound him out.

Yeah, fair points. But he's already done it once with Zingarevich. Don't see it happening again.

It's all just panicked straw clutching.

traff

by traff » 11 Mar 2024 13:14

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Snowflake Royal But why would he effectively give money to Dai, that he'll never see again.

Yeah, fair points. But he's already done it once with Zingarevich. Don't see it happening again.

Agreed.
However pretty natural reactions to bereavement.

Denial and isolation: a shock and disbelief reaction to the loss.
Anger: a feeling of resentment and frustration towards the situation or others.
Bargaining: a desperate attempt to negotiate or reverse the loss.
Depression: a deep sadness and hopelessness about the loss.
Acceptance: a recognition and acceptance of the reality and finality of the loss.

Guess all that is left is: Revenge Executed After Dai's Implacable Negligent Gamble

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Mar 2024 13:15

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Snowflake Royal But why would he effectively give money to Dai, that he'll never see again.

Again completely agree, and if he hadn't visited Bearwood for the first time ever at the end of last week, what less than 72 hours before Dai's latest curveball, I don't think anybody would think it possible or begin to make 2 and 2 probably make 5.

I don't see it happening again, but legacy is a random thing - at 82, he knows he probably hasn't got years left and his legacy is/was saving Reading FC - what legacy does that leave if there is no Reading FC.

It would make total sense for him to ride in to potentially save the club again, even if just to protect his legacy. Although, I do doubt it will happen and have no idea if he has the money to buy Bearwood, even if he wanted to.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 11 Mar 2024 13:23

I don’t believe Dai has ever had any intention of selling us. He’s been going through the motions and basically there’s nothing we can do about it as he doesn’t give a oxf*rd.

He can just let this happen and he’s so far removed from the club he doesn’t care about all of the protests etc. We’re going the same way as his other clubs and the only thing we can control is either to die silently or kicking and screaming.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Mar 2024 13:33

Well, some news that's not bad news from Earnshaw:

I've been doing a bit of asking around at the club. The consensus is March should be an outlier when it comes to the shortfall. The club are working hard & are due extra income from sources that are not available to them this month

Bottom line is if/when March is navigated, the club SHOULD be fine for rest of the season. Alleviates immediate fears and allows Nigel Howe time to continue working with parties. Dig in for March, help where we can as a community and see where we are come May. All we can do

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Mar 2024 13:33

blythspartan I don’t believe Dai has ever had any intention of selling us. He’s been going through the motions and basically there’s nothing we can do about it as he doesn’t give a oxf*rd.

He can just let this happen and he’s so far removed from the club he doesn’t care about all of the protests etc. We’re going the same way as his other clubs and the only thing we can control is either to die silently or kicking and screaming.

And we've done about as much kicking and screaming as we can.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the squad collapse and we have another abandonment in the last couple of home games when it's clear we're down.

And it'll have no effect. Just like everything else. We're completely powerless at Dai's whim.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 11 Mar 2024 13:53

WestYorksRoyal Well, some news that's not bad news from Earnshaw:

I've been doing a bit of asking around at the club. The consensus is March should be an outlier when it comes to the shortfall. The club are working hard & are due extra income from sources that are not available to them this month

Bottom line is if/when March is navigated, the club SHOULD be fine for rest of the season. Alleviates immediate fears and allows Nigel Howe time to continue working with parties. Dig in for March, help where we can as a community and see where we are come May. All we can do

There's no way a business the size of RFC can budget month to month like that.

Naivety from Earnshaw

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Mar 2024 13:56

Uke

Naivety from Earnshaw

Why not? For all we know the Puscas fee could be spread in instalments due on the 1st day of every quarter, or some other income source being paid along those lines.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 11 Mar 2024 13:58

WestYorksRoyal
Uke

Naivety from Earnshaw

Why not? For all we know the Puscas fee could be spread in instalments due on the 1st day of every quarter, or some other income source being paid along those lines.

That would be known months ago

These crises don't rock up "unexpectedly"

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 11 Mar 2024 14:41

Uke

Naivety from Earnshaw

You'd think so, but this is an exceptionally poorly run business the size of RFC.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 11 Mar 2024 15:01

What are you guys on? we`ve got people at the club trying their hardest to keep it afloat with next to nothing coming in from the owner, it`s a minor miracle we`ve survived this long.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Mar 2024 15:04

windermereROYAL What are you guys on? we`ve got people at the club trying their hardest to keep it afloat with next to nothing coming in from the owner, it`s a minor miracle we`ve survived this long.

This. The amount of shit that gets spouted about staff at the club and Howe when they're going everything to keep us alive.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 11 Mar 2024 15:44

windermereROYAL What are you guys on? we`ve got people at the club trying their hardest to keep it afloat with next to nothing coming in from the owner, it`s a minor miracle we`ve survived this long.

This. The amount of shit that gets spouted about staff at the club and Howe when they should have never let us get to this state in the first place.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Mar 2024 15:52

Uke

This. The amount of shit that gets spouted about staff at the club and Howe when they should have never let us get to this state in the first place.

Yes. Let's remember who was CEO when we sold to Dai, and who stayed on under him for a while. Admittedly the suggestion is he warned Dai what would happen and was ignored so walked.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Mar 2024 15:59

Snowflake Royal
Uke

Yes. Let's remember who was CEO when we sold to Dai, and who stayed on under him for a while. Admittedly the suggestion is he warned Dai what would happen and was ignored so walked.

The Thais sold to Dai. It was not his decision. And as for his role under him, if an organisation you care about turns toxic, you can either run and disassociated yourself or stay and try to make a difference.

Dai has forced people at this club into countless dilemmas, such as who to take priority in paying. Maybe they haven't got every decision right, but to criticise them for trying to stick it out and make difference while Dai burns the house down is very unfair.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Mar 2024 16:15

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal
Uke

The Thais sold to Dai. It was not his decision. And as for his role under him, if an organisation you care about turns toxic, you can either run and disassociated yourself or stay and try to make a difference.

Dai has forced people at this club into countless dilemmas, such as who to take priority in paying. Maybe they haven't got every decision right, but to criticise them for trying to stick it out and make difference while Dai burns the house down is very unfair.

We can also remember he was involved in the sale to Zingarevich and the absolute shambles that was throwing money at Burns to buy rubbish from Scotland for excessive amounts whilst Madejski was busy dodging tax, if you like.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Mar 2024 16:21

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal Yes. Let's remember who was CEO when we sold to Dai, and who stayed on under him for a while. Admittedly the suggestion is he warned Dai what would happen and was ignored so walked.

We can also remember he was involved in the sale to Zingarevich and the absolute shambles that was throwing money at Burns to buy rubbish from Scotland for excessive amounts whilst Madejski was busy dodging tax, if you like.

You mean the part where he was the CEO for the most successful era in our history? Nobody gets all signings right to digging up a few from the late 90s is ridiculous.

The sale to AZ was a fatal error. Catastrophic. But it was done with good intentions, they were tricked. It was somebody with a connection to the area and apparently buckets of cash. And SJM with Howe's help even rescued us once when it went wrong.

And yeh, I don't agree with SJM's tax dodging. But it doesn't change the fact he was a good owner for this club.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 11 Mar 2024 16:34

windermereROYAL All the players will become free agents, most of them won`t have too many problems finding new clubs, and quite frankly they will be happy to be released from this shit show.
Just wonder what will happen to the stadium, it will still be there for quite a while and a reminder of what used to be.

In terms of contracts, I believe we've got the following players contracted for next season:
  1. GK - Bouzanis
  2. GK - Boyce-Clarke
  3. GK - Button
  4. RB - Yiadom
  5. CB - Bindon
  6. CB - Dean
  7. CB - Mbengue
  8. CM - Savage
  9. CM - Wing
  10. AM - Elliott
  11. AM - Knibbs
  12. ST - Smith
Of those we appear to have optional contract extension clauses for (players on professional contracts):
  1. GK - Andresson
  2. GK - Mawer
  3. GK - Norcott
  4. GK - Pereira
  5. GK - Rowley
  6. RB - Abrefa
  7. RB - Paul
  8. LB - Clarke, John
  9. CB - Holzman
  10. CB - Kanu
  11. CB - Stickland
  12. CM - Hammond-Chambers-Borgnis
  13. CM - Purcell
  14. CM - Senga
  15. AM - Giscombe
  16. AM - Maudner
  17. AM - Wellens
  18. WF - Camara
  19. WF - Clark, Billie
  20. WF - Okine-Peters
  21. WF - Tuma
  22. ST - Clarke, Jahmari

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Mar 2024 16:37

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal The Thais sold to Dai. It was not his decision. And as for his role under him, if an organisation you care about turns toxic, you can either run and disassociated yourself or stay and try to make a difference.

You mean the part where he was the CEO for the most successful era in our history? Nobody gets all signings right to digging up a few from the late 90s is ridiculous.

The sale to AZ was a fatal error. Catastrophic. But it was done with good intentions, they were tricked. It was somebody with a connection to the area and apparently buckets of cash. And SJM with Howe's help even rescued us once when it went wrong.

And yeh, I don't agree with SJM's tax dodging. But it doesn't change the fact he was a good owner for this club.

The only point I've made is that Howe isn't some sort of faultless paragon of virtue.

3413 posts