Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: TAKEOVER *NOT* CONFIMRED

by Horsham Royal » 16 Mar 2024 17:43

Snowflake Royal
Orion1871
Uke
If it’s profitable why would you need owners with money to keep it afloat

It's profitable if you actually sell the players it produces for more than a pittance, or in the case of the likes of Loader, Richards, etc, anything at all.

Which means you don’t need a rich owner to fund it. :roll:

Wasn't Andrew's point that with a rich (and willing) owner you're not having to sell below market rate in firesales so academy can generate profit without owner's subsidy.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 16 Mar 2024 18:01

Orion1871
Uke
andrew1957 Some are talking about Bearwood and the Academy being too expensive in L1 but I disagree. Surely the Academy can be a very profitable entity if you have owners with money.

If it’s profitable why would you need owners with money to keep it afloat

It's profitable if you actually sell the players it produces for more than a pittance, or in the case of the likes of Loader, Richards, etc, anything at all. Just because Dai Yongge is a f[u]cking moron doesn't mean someone sensible can't run it sensibly.

Sunderland had a category 1 academy in League 1 and Derby also have a category 1 academy in this league. So it can be done.

They also get double the crowds we do in League 1.

If your revenue is £8m a year, you can't really afford to spend £5m of that on a Cat1 academy.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 16 Mar 2024 18:35

It also occurs to me that if new owners are hoping to get us promoted and sell us for a quick profit, they may feel they might make better margins from a lean investment (without Bearwood) than if they try to buy everything as it is now.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 16 Mar 2024 19:05

It's unlikely they would make any profit selling us in the Championship. It's more expensive to fund a Championship side than League One. Only if we were consistently challenging for promotion.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 16 Mar 2024 19:08

Isn't every level unsustainable unless you're Man Utd size? If we get promoted, income goes 2x up but wages go 2.5x up. In the PL, incorrect goes 5x up and so do wages. Newly promoted teams make a profit, but if they stick around there the players who do the business start asking for wages that reflect their worth, and then the losses start again on a bigger scale to what they were.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 16 Mar 2024 19:13

If its these sports.com people then maybe a documentary is on the way

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 16 Mar 2024 19:27

WestYorksRoyal Isn't every level unsustainable unless you're Man Utd size? If we get promoted, income goes 2x up but wages go 2.5x up. In the PL, incorrect goes 5x up and so do wages. Newly promoted teams make a profit, but if they stick around there the players who do the business start asking for wages that reflect their worth, and then the losses start again on a bigger scale to what they were.

You can run at break-even in the PL if all you're doing is trying to avoid relegation. Whilst pretty much every Championship team loses money .

Though, the value of becoming a PL team is not really about profitability now. It's that you become a target for vanity buyers (Saudis) and those speculating that the league can be made more profitable in the future (Americans).

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Mar 2024 19:58

Several posts on twitter, mostly seeing one and copying it, saying it`s a done deal, I paid particular interest to the directors box today and Mark Bowen was a lonely figure sitting in the front row on his own.
Now if we were on the verge of an imminent takeover to would expect some of them to be here watching our games.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 16 Mar 2024 20:09

Winston Biscuit If its these sports.com people then maybe a documentary is on the way

You'd hope so. It would be nice to have something on their channel beyond clips you can probably see for free on youtube.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 16 Mar 2024 20:15

tmesis
Winston Biscuit If its these sports.com people then maybe a documentary is on the way

You'd hope so. It would be nice to have something on their channel beyond clips you can probably see for free on youtube.

I'm waiting until we know the full story, but hopefully we get more information on their funding as it doesn't look like an organisation flushed with money. Presumably the EFL will need to see this and Howe will have been able to check too. Though AZ and Samuelson tricked everyone.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 16 Mar 2024 20:16

windermereROYAL Several posts on twitter, mostly seeing one and copying it, saying it`s a done deal, I paid particular interest to the directors box today and Mark Bowen was a lonely figure sitting in the front row on his own.
Now if we were on the verge of an imminent takeover to would expect some of them to be here watching our games.

My (non twitter sources) tell me that yes, it is basically done. Might even be announced on Monday. But .. .. . there's still time for Dai to oxf*rd it all up.

Still time for Dai . .. . worst Bond film ever!

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 16 Mar 2024 20:23

Webster750 If new ownership does occur, can we please not only remove Dai Yongge but also discard the notion that new developments don't warrant new threads?

Currently, discussions on the potential ownership change are scattered across three threads, perhaps even more, because people are hesitant to create a dedicated thread for today (and any day’s) news.

This isn't beneficial for anyone, and it would be better to consolidate discussions for clarity and efficiency. One of my biggest gripes with HNA, TBH.

What are your other gripes, Webster?

Let it all out.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 16 Mar 2024 20:25

Elm Park Kid
windermereROYAL Several posts on twitter, mostly seeing one and copying it, saying it`s a done deal, I paid particular interest to the directors box today and Mark Bowen was a lonely figure sitting in the front row on his own.

My (non twitter sources) tell me that yes, it is basically done. Might even be announced on Monday. But .. .. . there's still time for Dai to oxf*rd it all up.

Still time for Dai . .. . worst Bond film ever!

It’ll happen for Dai another day

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 16 Mar 2024 20:28

Bowen may be nervous that his position is under threat. Marc Bircham has a lot of football experience in this country and will presumably lead football operations.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 16 Mar 2024 20:42

WestYorksRoyal

Bowen may be nervous that his position is under threat. Marc Bircham has a lot of football experience in this country and will presumably lead football operations.

I wouldn't have thought so. He joined them last month (well, they didn't exist before last month) as Director and Head of Business Development, which sounds a very different role to actually running the football side of a football club.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 16 Mar 2024 20:51

WestYorksRoyal
tmesis

I'm waiting until we know the full story, but hopefully we get more information on their funding as it doesn't look like an organisation flushed with money. Presumably the EFL will need to see this and Howe will have been able to check too. Though AZ and Samuelson tricked everyone.

You don't need to be flushed with money to sustain a L1 club, Wycombe manage to challenge for top six most seasons with a 5000 gate and no academy.
https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/leag ... ttendances

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 16 Mar 2024 20:58

72 bus
WestYorksRoyal
tmesis You'd hope so. It would be nice to have something on their channel beyond clips you can probably see for free on youtube.

You don't need to be flushed with money to sustain a L1 club, Wycombe manage to challenge for top six most seasons with a 5000 gate and no academy.
https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/leag ... ttendances

I've just been burned too much. AZ, Dais. Unfortunately you often see a cycle of bad owners until the right one finally turns up. It's happened in places like Bolton, Wigan, Portsmouth and Bury.

If these guys have modest resources but can make us a competitive L1 club with players who fight for the badge, it's a massive yes from me. I don't think I'll ever take simply having a team I enjoy watching for granted again, and that'll do just fine even if we're not hitting previous heights. We just don't know anything about them though.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Mar 2024 21:06

Webster750 If new ownership does occur, can we please not only remove Dai Yongge but also discard the notion that new developments don't warrant new threads?

Currently, discussions on the potential ownership change are scattered across three threads, perhaps even more, because people are hesitant to create a dedicated thread for today (and any day’s) news.

This isn't beneficial for anyone, and it would be better to consolidate discussions for clarity and efficiency. One of my biggest gripes with HNA, TBH.

This feels a weird one. We should have more threads to discuss things because the current issues are being discussed across multiple threads and its confusing? Isn't that contradictory?

Anyone can set up a new thread at any time, and if people like it, they'll use it.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Mar 2024 21:52

Rumour building that something may happen tonight!

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 16 Mar 2024 22:10

If you thought Reading FC Twitterspace was insufferable for the Wilder affair, that's just a taste of what's coming this week.

3413 posts