TAKEOVER *NOT* CONFIMRED

3413 posts
blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: TAKEOVER *NOT* CONFIMRED

by blythspartan » 19 Mar 2024 08:55

What’s going on?

Mate just said SJM has been on Sky saying we’re about to go under and STAR have just sent an email about the March funding shortfall. Have talks fallen through?

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 19 Mar 2024 08:56

blythspartan What’s going on?

Mate just said SJM has been on Sky saying we’re about to go under and STAR have just sent an email about the March funding shortfall. Have talks fallen through?

Tweet not email.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Mar 2024 09:10

blythspartan

Tweet not email.

Not seen SKY, but would imagine STAR are just trying to keep everyone grounded and reminding everyone that things can always fall through at the last minute if nothing changes.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 19 Mar 2024 09:12

The STAR tweet reads very much like "Let's not take anything for granted"

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 19 Mar 2024 09:13

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal In other big news, the Gov has finally pulled its finger out and the Football Governance Bill is getting an airing on Tuesday.

Too late for us, but regulator in coming.

oxf*rd you PL.

Just means this takeover is massive for us. If it all goes tits up for the incoming owners, we'll be protected by the regulator. This is the moment of maximum peril.

Ridiculous to see the PL opposing it but not surprising. I wonder where their fans sit. Certainly, I would expect most "legacy fans" to be on the side of the regulator.

You say protected by the regulator. The regulator won't be "protecting" clubs per se. If a regulator says all clubs need to be run at a break even cost, well, that might not be great news for Reading. Because we will be loss making so long as we have that massive cat 1 academy hanging over us in league 1.

Until the regulator is established, and sets out its requirements, no one knows what it will mean for clubs. There is also nothing a regulator can do about a club having its owner cut off all funding mid way through a season.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 Mar 2024 09:15

Greatwesternline
WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal In other big news, the Gov has finally pulled its finger out and the Football Governance Bill is getting an airing on Tuesday.

Too late for us, but regulator in coming.

oxf*rd you PL.

Just means this takeover is massive for us. If it all goes tits up for the incoming owners, we'll be protected by the regulator. This is the moment of maximum peril.

Ridiculous to see the PL opposing it but not surprising. I wonder where their fans sit. Certainly, I would expect most "legacy fans" to be on the side of the regulator.

You say protected by the regulator. The regulator won't be "protecting" clubs per se. If a regulator says all clubs need to be run at a break even cost, well, that might not be great news for Reading. Because we will be loss making so long as we have that massive cat 1 academy hanging over us in league 1.

Until the regulator is established, and sets out its requirements, no one knows what it will mean for clubs. There is also nothing a regulator can do about a club having its owner cut off all funding mid way through a season.

If an owner stops paying the bills, refuses to sell and threatens liquidation they will have more power. Obviously they can't protect us from bad investment and relegation. Dai's first 5 years could still happen but not the last 18 months.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Mar 2024 09:16

blythspartan

Tweet not email.

I would imagine he's yanking your chain a bit on the first one.

Having seen the STAR tweet it is just another call to arms reminding people that there is still a shortfall for March so get to games if you can i.e. the Women's match at the stadium tomorrow night as every penny counts.

No more to it than that.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 19 Mar 2024 09:17

Hendo
blythspartan

Tweet not email.

Not seen SKY, but would imagine STAR are just trying to keep everyone grounded and reminding everyone that things can always fall through at the last minute if nothing changes.

Yeah you’re probably right about STAR and I think my mate has misunderstood SJM’s interview tbf.

I hope a lot fans take up the offer of the mini season tickets for the last 3 games.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 19 Mar 2024 09:20

WestYorksRoyal
Greatwesternline
WestYorksRoyal Just means this takeover is massive for us. If it all goes tits up for the incoming owners, we'll be protected by the regulator. This is the moment of maximum peril.

If an owner stops paying the bills, refuses to sell and threatens liquidation they will have more power. Obviously they can't protect us from bad investment and relegation. Dai's first 5 years could still happen but not the last 18 months.

It feels a bit like we are going round in circles, but, you are projecting what you hope the regulator will have the power to do. It's not obvious what a regulator could do in the scenario we've been through in the past 18 months. If you think the Government is going to pass legislation that gives a regulator the power to strip a club from its legal owner, you're going to be disappointed.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 19 Mar 2024 09:25

From Despair To Where? He could buy Wycombe Wanderers for that.

Or Bournemouth

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Mar 2024 09:29

From Despair To Where? The STAR tweet reads very much like "Let's not take anything for granted"

Exactly how I read it as well.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 19 Mar 2024 09:29

Hendo
From Despair To Where? The STAR tweet reads very much like "Let's not take anything for granted"

They have two days to pay HMRC. Squeaky bum time.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 19 Mar 2024 09:31

Wahoa calm down m8

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 19 Mar 2024 09:31

Stranded
blythspartan

Tweet not email.

I would imagine he's yanking your chain a bit on the first one.

Having seen the STAR tweet it is just another call to arms reminding people that there is still a shortfall for March so get to games if you can i.e. the Women's match at the stadium tomorrow night as every penny counts.

No more to it than that.

This quote lines up with what Earnshaw said happened yesterday

His Madj Meanwhile, former Reading chairman Sir John Madejski said he was optimistic the club would be sold in the near future.

"I think things will ratify in the near future and I think the club will be sold," he told BBC Radio Berkshire.

"There is some very wealthy owners lining up, about three as I understand it, and they've got some incredibly deep pockets.

"They might even decide to step in and keep the training ground, that would make a huge difference."

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 19 Mar 2024 09:32

I noticed that STAR are running a sponsor a player for £1000 scheme. Not a bad idea, but why is it being run through STAR?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Mar 2024 09:34

Greatwesternline I noticed that STAR are running a sponsor a player for £1000 scheme. Not a bad idea, but why is it being run through STAR?

They're the official liaison between the club and it's supporters - would imagine this is right in their wheelhouse.

Plus I don't think supporters would be very trusting giving the club any money at the moment. Rather give it to STAR would then be able to send it to the right account at the club.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Mar 2024 09:38

Greatwesternline
Hendo

Just means another 2 point deduction doesn’t it? Kind of priced that in already

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 19 Mar 2024 09:40

Hendo
Greatwesternline I noticed that STAR are running a sponsor a player for £1000 scheme. Not a bad idea, but why is it being run through STAR?

They're the official liaison between the club and it's supporters - would imagine this is right in their wheelhouse.

Plus I don't think supporters would be very trusting giving the club any money at the moment. Rather give it to STAR would then be able to send it to the right account at the club.

So bemused by this 'right' and 'wrong' account in the club. Every bank account that is part of RFC Limited belongs to the Club, and all of those belong to the owner of the club.

The owner of the club has the legal authority to move monies around between his bank accounts.

STAR is basically carrying out commercial activities on behalf of the club. Would be interesting* to find out who is legally liable should there be a dispute over these sponsorship deals. I hope STAR has good legal advice.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 19 Mar 2024 09:41

Hound
Greatwesternline
Hendo

Fair

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 19 Mar 2024 09:41

Hound
Greatwesternline
Hendo

Same, when I look at the table I take two points off

3413 posts