3413 posts
72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

Re: TAKEOVER *NOT* CONFIMRED

by 72 bus » 20 Mar 2024 21:12

Mr Angry
Snowflake Royal
Mr Angry
Because of the uncertainty; if an out of contract player gets an offer from another club he may well jump at the chance to leave, rather than potentially (if everything with a potential sale falls through which, with Dai involved, is a real possibility) have another couple of years of worrying that you won't get paid each month, or that there will be further points deductions, or that the club go bust and you are out of work looking for anybody to offer you any sort of contract.

Stop thinking footballers are fans of the club they play for, they aren't; they are workers like you and me, and their own personal considerations (and that of their families) will be top of their priorities, as they are for you and me.

If we get a new owner replacements shouldn't be a huge issue. If we don’t it's moot, as no club.

I don't think people should rule out the pressure on the Families of the Players; that tweet from Lewis Wing's partner was as telling as it was - at a human level - appalling; NO employee (or their family) of any Company should be put through the stresses that have been inflicted on our players by the disgraceful, unethical and unprofessional owners and management of RFC, and I for one would not blame or condemn ANY player who, offered a way out by another club - regardless whether we have new owners or not - took that option.

The fact that the team and individual players have performed the way they have despite all of the off-field BS has been incredible and shows immense character; for Years we as fans wanted to see players who truly wanted to play for the shirt - this season, that has happened in bucketloads, and if any player moves on whether a new owner comes in or not, I for one will wish them all the very best in the rest of their career after what they have given to our club this season.

Agree, it must have put his petrol bill up by a fair amount having to travel the extra distance from Wycombe to Bearwood.
Bleeding for her, as we all must be at this difficult time.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 21 Mar 2024 01:17

Events off the pitch will be be what they'll be. Just need as to get as many points on the table as possible from the remaining games. Remaining a League One club for next season is all that matters. That's a huge unwanted pressure on the players and the footballing staff.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Mar 2024 07:58

Just getting ready for the meLOLtdown when nothing is officially announced by the club today/tomorrow or over the weekend.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Mar 2024 08:09

Lower West Events off the pitch will be be what they'll be. Just need as to get as many points on the table as possible from the remaining games. Remaining a League One club for next season is all that matters. That's a huge unwanted pressure on the players and the footballing staff.

Remaining a club is all that matters. L1/L2 is immaterial in comparison.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 21 Mar 2024 08:16

Sutekh Just getting ready for the meLOLtdown when nothing is officially announced by the club today/tomorrow or over the weekend.

Yes, we have been here before. Earnshaw’s 24 to 48 hours expired yesterday. Tbf, he tweeted something last night and mentioned he’s now on holiday until Tuesday.

Funnily enough, the random tweet I saw last Thursday evening saying the training ground was still ours also said there would be an announcement today. I slated the tweet but now hope it’s true.

under the tin

by under the tin » 21 Mar 2024 08:16

Lower West Events off the pitch will be be what they'll be. Just need as to get as many points on the table as possible from the remaining games. Remaining a League One club for next season is all that matters. That's a huge unwanted pressure on the players and the footballing staff.

LOL
Our league position has as much to do with the shambolic tactical, selection and playing performances at the start of the season as it does with anything that happened "upstairs".

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Mar 2024 08:19

Snowflake Royal

Yep existing as a club beyond the end of this campaign is all that really matters. It will be preferable to do that as a L1 club but it is not the be all and end all - any party in discussion now will be aware of the risk and, if the current owner allows, one would imagine they will do all they can to ensure that payments are made in time to avoid the next 2 points which would make that slightly more likely.

We should be Ok regardless - the bottom 6 have managed a grand total of 2 wins between them in a combined last 30 games - so even losing 2 points would still required our form to really drop off and 3 of the bottom 6 to suddenly hit play-off form. Which whilst not impossible, does look unlikely even with our relatively tricky run in.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Mar 2024 08:29

Stranded
Snowflake Royal

Yep existing as a club beyond the end of this campaign is all that really matters. It will be preferable to do that as a L1 club but it is not the be all and end all - any party in discussion now will be aware of the risk and, if the current owner allows, one would imagine they will do all they can to ensure that payments are made in time to avoid the next 2 points which would make that slightly more likely.

We should be Ok regardless - the bottom 6 have managed a grand total of 2 wins between them in a combined last 30 games - so even losing 2 points would still required our form to really drop off and 3 of the bottom 6 to suddenly hit play-off form. Which whilst not impossible, does look unlikely even with our relatively tricky run in.

This is why I'm hopeful we hear something soon. The clock is ticking. Earnshaw's tweet last night said "a few irons in the fire" for this week's HMRC bill, but the Club's preference was exclusivity and a deposit from the buyer. If we got deducted 2 points, I can see it being another delay/complication we can do without.

Obviously no idea what's going on. It could be things are agreed verbally and all the legal process is time consuming; Howe's interview made simply getting to the exclusivity point and EFL application sound complicated. Or Dai has gone AWOL from negotiations or is moving the goalposts. We all suspect the bad reasons which is entirely rational on our part given experience to date. But nobody has reported this yet.

All we know for sure is the clock is ticking on HMRC and payday, so I would definitely expect we'll know something soon. I'd be surprised if radio silence lasts over the weekend, even though we have seen this before.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 21 Mar 2024 09:05

72 bus Agree, it must have put his petrol bill up by a fair amount having to travel the extra distance from Wycombe to Bearwood.

Really 72? You don't think the pressure of not knowing if you're going to get paid from month to month or even if you'll have a job come the end of the season doesn't affect the players and their families?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Mar 2024 09:13

6ft Kerplunk
72 bus Agree, it must have put his petrol bill up by a fair amount having to travel the extra distance from Wycombe to Bearwood.

Really 72? You don't think the pressure of not knowing if you're going to get paid from month to month or even if you'll have a job come the end of the season doesn't affect the players and their families?

Oh but football players get paid sooo much, so they are excempt from these worries of course.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 21 Mar 2024 09:27

blythspartan
Sutekh Just getting ready for the meLOLtdown when nothing is officially announced by the club today/tomorrow or over the weekend.

Yes, we have been here before. Earnshaw’s 24 to 48 hours expired yesterday. Tbf, he tweeted something last night and mentioned he’s now on holiday until Tuesday.

Funnily enough, the random tweet I saw last Thursday evening saying the training ground was still ours also said there would be an announcement today. I slated the tweet but now hope it’s true.

He knows as much as the man in the street

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 21 Mar 2024 09:36

Stranded
6ft Kerplunk

Oh but football players get paid sooo much, so they are excempt from these worries of course.

There worries and there are worries though.

A player who is 28 on a £4k/week £200,000 a year salary, who if released from his contract will be able to find a club to pay him £2k/week £100,000 salary relatively easily, is not the same stress as store manager at the body shop in their 40s with a mortgage to pay and 4 mouths to feed seeing their store closed.

I have sympathy for footballers WAGs who presumably think that hooking up with a footballer = set for life, and start spending accordingly, but in the grand scheme of things, being released from RFC at the end of the season isnt going to leave anyone worrying how to keep the heating on.

You only need to look at the car park of a mediocre football club to know that belts could be tightened if needs be.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 21 Mar 2024 09:58

Greatwesternline
Stranded
6ft Kerplunk Really 72? You don't think the pressure of not knowing if you're going to get paid from month to month or even if you'll have a job come the end of the season doesn't affect the players and their families?

A player who is 28 on a £4k/week £200,000 a year salary, who if released from his contract will be able to find a club to pay him £2k/week £100,000 salary relatively easily, is not the same stress as store manager at the body shop in their 40s with a mortgage to pay and 4 mouths to feed seeing their store closed.

I have sympathy for footballers WAGs who presumably think that hooking up with a footballer = set for life, and start spending accordingly, but in the grand scheme of things, being released from RFC at the end of the season isnt going to leave anyone worrying how to keep the heating on.

You only need to look at the car park of a mediocre football club to know that belts could be tightened if needs be.

Although I don’t have too much sympathy for footballers I do think that players below Championship level can still have similar worries to normal working people. I accept they generally earn a lot more money, but it’s all relative. Bigger house, bigger mortgage and bigger bills etc, and they still need a guaranteed income.

I remember watching a documentary about Jlloyd Samuel who tragically died in a car crash and it was a big eye opener in terms of footballers facing the same problems and demons as all of us.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Mar 2024 10:01

blythspartan
Greatwesternline
Stranded

Although I don’t have too much sympathy for footballers I do think that players below Championship level can still have similar worries to normal working people. I accept they generally earn a lot more money, but it’s all relative. Bigger house, bigger mortgage and bigger bills etc, and they still need a guaranteed income.

I remember watching a documentary about Jlloyd Samuel who tragically died in a car crash and it was a big eye opener in terms of footballers facing the same problems and demons as all of us.

They also have short careers. The stage Wing is at is where he should be maximising his earnings which can hopefully set him up well for his post playing career. £200k is not massive when you're going to retire in your mid 30s.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 21 Mar 2024 10:02

6ft Kerplunk

Not if I was earning what these players are, I would have more than enough put by to see me through anything that might happen.
If they are worried about paying the bills they are doing life wrong.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 21 Mar 2024 10:04

So losing half of your income wouldn't leave you feeling a bit stressed GWL? Keeping in mind that the 28 year old footballer probably has 4 or 5 years left of earning well before their career ends. I doubt many lower league players waltz into lucrative salaries after they retire just as the rest of us are hitting our prime earning years. Dropping £100K a year now is going to hit that pension pot massively.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 21 Mar 2024 10:24

6ft Kerplunk So losing half of your income wouldn't leave you feeling a bit stressed GWL? Keeping in mind that the 28 year old footballer probably has 4 or 5 years left of earning well before their career ends. I doubt many lower league players waltz into lucrative salaries after they retire just as the rest of us are hitting our prime earning years. Dropping £100K a year now is going to hit that pension pot massively.

It would stress me a bit, but some people on here are saying its worse for footballers than a nurse working in the NHS, which is patent nonsense.

Furthermore, the career of a footballer sets them nicely up for coaching roles in football, punditry, being an agent, working behind the scenes in a former club.

Being a professional footballer sets you up for a life of relatively interesting work at above average levels of salary. No one should lose too much sleep over a top 3 tier footballer losing 3 months pay.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 21 Mar 2024 10:27

Greatwesternline
6ft Kerplunk So losing half of your income wouldn't leave you feeling a bit stressed GWL? Keeping in mind that the 28 year old footballer probably has 4 or 5 years left of earning well before their career ends. I doubt many lower league players waltz into lucrative salaries after they retire just as the rest of us are hitting our prime earning years. Dropping £100K a year now is going to hit that pension pot massively.

It would stress me a bit, but some people on here are saying its worse for footballers than a nurse working in the NHS, which is patent nonsense.

Furthermore, the career of a footballer sets them nicely up for coaching roles in football, punditry, being an agent, working behind the scenes in a former club.

Being a professional footballer sets you up for a life of relatively interesting work at above average levels of salary. No one should lose too much sleep over a top 3 tier footballer losing 3 months pay.

It didn’t set up Dalian Atkinson for life so I don’t think you can generalise.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 21 Mar 2024 10:27

blythspartan Although I don’t have too much sympathy for footballers I do think that players below Championship level can still have similar worries to normal working people. I accept they generally earn a lot more money, but it’s all relative. Bigger house, bigger mortgage and bigger bills etc, and they still need a guaranteed income.

Yeh i get this. But if you can afford to give your agent 10% of your salary, you could probably ask your agent to throw in a bit of independent financial advice at the same time, or use the PFA.

My friend is a fancy IFA workign for people with a lot more money than footballers, and approached Crystal Palace who he supports about the possibility of offering pro-bono financial advice to footballers purely because he would like to met the players and they would be more interesting clients than the usual banker / lawyer.

Palace were well up for it and made the recommendations. None of the players took up the offer. Says it all.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 21 Mar 2024 10:34

The club are plugging the mini season tickets again so it doesn’t bode well.

3413 posts