287 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Charlton Athletic (a)

by Sutekh » 17 Oct 2023 10:36

When : Saturday October 21 2023, 3pm
Where : The Valley, Charlton, London, SE7 8BL
Capacity : 27,111

A visit to Charlton next to provide the comedy this weekend. EIGHTEEN games since the last away win and still sporting one of the last remaining 100% records left in the league of ZERO points on the road this season and only TWO to show from the last eighteen league games that the club have turned up for, so it'll soon be one year without an away win on the league.

Charlton haven't lost any of their last six league games which has propelled them to a magnificent 14th in the division with 15 points and no deductions! Reading on the other hand have lost two of their last two away games and lost both of their last league visits into London.

Alfie May and Corey Taylor are the threats, May has already got 7 in the league after a bargain £250k switch from Cheltenham in the summer (younger fans might like to note that apparently clubs can actually bid money and buy good players who are in contract at other clubs, something Reading haven't done in years - whether embargoed or not :? ).

Not really too sure about the state of the club injury wise but there is a rumour that Sam Smith might get to sit on the bench for this one as Selles experiments with his next line-up. Both Camara and McIntyre should be available again - as will Mola after an only too brief suspension. Yiadom I think will be in the mix leaving just the usual Ejaria casualty. However there might be a keeper crisis brewing as Button is the only fit keeper at the moment - CBC got a knock at the Swindon game and Pereira has a knee problem so Norcot or Collins could be bench warming.

Referee

Scott Oldham

Previously

Nothing known

Historically

Just 20 visits to the Valley so far and it's fairly close in terms of honours with 7 Reading wins to 9 for Charlton. Reading have won the last 2 league encounters there by 1-0 and 4-3 and generally games are tight affairs so historically anything could happen, but form tells another all too depressing story.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalsTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Charlton Athletic (a)

by Stranded » 17 Oct 2023 10:39

Home win.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 Oct 2023 10:41

Fail to win this game or away at Shrewsbury and we will officially have gone an entire year without an away win.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 Oct 2023 10:52

tidus_mi2 Fail to win this game or away at Shrewsbury and we will officially have gone an entire year without an away win.

Looks likely tbh.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Oct 2023 11:53

Can see a repeat of Northampton

Play crap, but still only a goal in it til last 5m when they score again and we lose by 2

Lost track of the team pretty much but something like

Button
Yiadom Dean Abbey NGW
Wing Hutch/Craig
Savage Knibbs
Kelv Ballard

Then take your pick from

Gk Smith Elliot Rushesha Vickers Binden Azeez Mukairo TMc Holmes Mola Wareham Abrefa Carson …probably missing some more…:
Last edited by Hound on 17 Oct 2023 12:36, edited 1 time in total.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Oct 2023 12:36

Good news is, after Charlton we only have 3 more away games until Boxing Day and 7 (8 scheduled but Derby likely to be postponed), so hopefully a good chance to build some momentum esp if we can stop the rot away and at least get a point.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 17 Oct 2023 14:28

After the Orient game, I honestly felt like I couldn’t face another away day. I am looking forward to this one now, but fully expect another loss.

We’ll play panic ball for the first 30 minutes and when we eventually get a foothold in the game we’ll be one or two goals down. Other teams always start really fast against us especially out wide and down their right side. I am rubbish when it comes to formations, but we look way too easy to play against.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Oct 2023 15:24

Must say I enjoyed not having to endure us playing last weekend. Back to reality I guess

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Oct 2023 16:12

blythspartan After the Orient game, I honestly felt like I couldn’t face another away day. I am looking forward to this one now, but fully expect another loss.

We’ll play panic ball for the first 30 minutes and when we eventually get a foothold in the game we’ll be one or two goals down. Other teams always start really fast against us especially out wide and down their right side. I am rubbish when it comes to formations, but we look way too easy to play against.

We need full backs who can play and excel when they're exposed as the idiot system dictates they're going to get done right from kick off - at least until the latest incumbent finally realises what's wrong with his idiot system and the players he has at his disposal. Expecting another embarrassingly slow start with plenty of comments from Tim about opponents getting space on their right just like the last 4/5 away games :roll: :lol:

Dreading another start for Mola in particular.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 17 Oct 2023 17:09

Ref i think did us v Brum 7th April.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Oct 2023 18:50

Hard to know who is fit and available at the moment.

I think I'd play:

.....................Button
..Yiadom, Dean, Abbey, NGW
.................Wing, Hutch
Vickers, ........Elliott, ........Knibbs
...............Ehibhatiomhan

Subs: Norcott, Bindon, McIntyre, Savage, Ballard, Azeez, Rushesha/Craig

I expect Selles will play:

Bindon1, Dean, Abbey, Carson
.......... ....Wing, Savage
..........Azeez, ...........Knibbs
...............Ballard, KelvE

Subs: Norcott, McIntyre, Yiadom, Hutch, Vickers, Mukairu, Smith (injured in warm up), Rushesha

1 Mbengue if fit and Bindon on the bench for Yiadom.

We start ok, huff and puff a bit, then start to be dominated. Selles does nothing about this and the inevitable goal comes. We go into our shell/panic for a bit before slowly starting to reimpose ourselves. Narrowly miss equalising, then get picked apart on the break losing by 2 or 3 goals.we may score 1.

Selles will make lots of subs around 60 - 85 minutes, some will be bizarre. He'll probably remove whoever looks most dangerous.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Oct 2023 16:59

Would go with:

Button

Rushesha
Bindon
Abbey
NGW

Hutch
Wing

Elliott
Knibbs

Ballard
Vickers

Norcott, Yiadom, Craig, Savage, Mukairu, Smith, Ehib

Not too fussed about the personnel in defence but would like to see more of a settled back line rather than the constant chopping and changing. Keen to see more of Rushesha and particularly Craig especially considering the midfield haven’t particularly performed yet but would give Hutch and Wing a go for this one

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 18 Oct 2023 20:33

Snowflake Royal Hard to know who is fit and available at the moment.

I think I'd play:

I like your team, although I'd be inclined to go with Bindon ahead of Dean (or even Abbey) and I don't know about the midfield. Savage feels like he has a low floor but a high ceiling, which admittedly isn't ideal for a defensive midfielder but I feel like he's more likely to pull out a moment of inspiration.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 18 Oct 2023 22:45

Any news on Sam Smith? This was supposed to be the first game he'd be in contention for. Would be good if he's on the bench.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 18 Oct 2023 23:16

Clyde1998 Any news on Sam Smith? This was supposed to be the first game he'd be in contention for. Would be good if he's on the bench.

This will be the 11th week of a 6 week absence so highly unlikely in my view.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 19 Oct 2023 07:03

URZZZZ Would go with:

Button

Rushesha
Bindon
Abbey
NGW

Hutch
Wing

Elliott
Knibbs

Ballard
Vickers

Norcott, Yiadom, Craig, Savage, Mukairu, Smith, Ehib

Not too fussed about the personnel in defence but would like to see more of a settled back line rather than the constant chopping and changing. Keen to see more of Rushesha and particularly Craig especially considering the midfield haven’t particularly performed yet but would give Hutch and Wing a go for this one

Am I missing the punchline ?

You want more of a settled back line, and the first item you’re keen on is chopping and changing the defence ?
:?:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Oct 2023 08:41

SCIAG
Snowflake Royal Hard to know who is fit and available at the moment.

I think I'd play:

I like your team, although I'd be inclined to go with Bindon ahead of Dean (or even Abbey) and I don't know about the midfield. Savage feels like he has a low floor but a high ceiling, which admittedly isn't ideal for a defensive midfielder but I feel like he's more likely to pull out a moment of inspiration.

Abbey is the more reliable of him and Bindon and together they're just too erratic, especially away. Needs some experience and Dean, although last in my eyes of Holmes, McIntyre and him has the shirt and is rightsided.

I'd work Savage back in once we've stopped the rot. I was unimpressed with his headless chicken act at Blackpool and he's not defensive enough or impose himself enough on games yet.

That's my thinking at least.

It does mean we're mossing 2 of our 3 most creative players by stats in Azeez and Savage, but stats don't tell the full story.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Oct 2023 09:52

Is Ejaria still dead?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Oct 2023 12:25

Millsy Is Ejaria still dead?

No he's just resting, beautiful plumage though.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 21 Oct 2023 12:30

Millsy Is Ejaria still dead?

Should be back by Halloween

287 posts