365 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Fleetwood Town (h)

by Sutekh » 22 Oct 2023 09:33

When : Tuesday October 24, 8pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Just to demonstrate to one and all how far the club has fallen, the complete and utter shambles that is Reading now face a first ever game against Fleetwood Town. Now I'm actually fairly confident that not even Selles can get things wrong for this game (but only because it's at home and Fleetwood aren't all that). If he does manage to get it wrong though then I think that he should be removed with immediate effect.

Fleetwood are bad this season, in fact they are so bad that they are actually below Reading in a table not adjusted due to points deductions, and on a run of 2 wins from the last 5 league games but they are the only 2 league wins so far this season.

Jayden Stockley and Jack Marriott (he's the Fleetwood player you would probably have heard of) form the attacking partnership and have 4 league goals between them, Junior Quiritina provides what little midfield excellence there is.

Smith is back in the mix of things now and has a chance of making his home league debut the second time, CBC, Hutch and Ejaria are still crocked, as I think McIntyre is, but believe Yiadom should be available. Selles will no doubt though continue his tactical masterclass of Bindon at right back though, while Abrefa and Yiadom sit on the bench.

Referee

Ben Atkinson

Previously

No previous games

Historically

No previous history of any games or of anything whatsoever with Fleetwood.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the game
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalsTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Fleetwood Town (h)

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Oct 2023 11:54

After 10 games Selles's quarterly review was; ok performances but inadequate results with some signs of promise under challenging circumstances. Needs improvement.

He's followed that up with 2 more defeats, one of them heavy. Lose the 'easy' home game vs Fleetwood, and it should be instant termination, as he'll be on LLL in his 'needs to turn this around quickly' phase.

I've never before feared for the club's long term future, but if something big doesn’t change soon, I'm not sure we'll still exist in 3 years. We seem utterly nailed on relegated already, despite having a squad easily talented enough for mid-table, and infrastructure good enough for the top flight, let alone tier 3.

Well managed (HA!) we should be able to maintain our facilities for a few years in L1. In L2 our costs are just too high for the income to manage.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 22 Oct 2023 12:24

Our home record has been good - ten points from the last possible twelve; only a defeat to Peterborough on the opening day - in a game that could've gone either way. We need to get seven points from our next three - especially getting wins against Fleetwood and Bristol Rovers.

Luckily for us, given our home record, most of our league games before Christmas are at home (eight of our next eleven - plus two home cup matches).

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 22 Oct 2023 12:24

This. I'm gravely concerned too. Relegation to league 2 would be armageddon. We'll have to scale back on the academy and we'll lose the talented youngsters. We'll have to slash costs and that will come with further risks.

No disrespect to Fleetwood who are a club that have had a sensational rise up the leagues but we really should be beating them at home, on paper anyway. Anything less than a win and I see another toxic atmosphere and Selles' position becoming untenable. Not expecting an easy game, let's just win even if it's ugly.

Portsmouth will be hard and a likely defeat so 3 points is a must.
Last edited by Royal_jimmy on 22 Oct 2023 12:27, edited 1 time in total.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 Oct 2023 12:26

Snowflake Royal After 10 games Selles's quarterly review was; ok performances but inadequate results with some signs of promise under challenging circumstances. Needs improvement.

He's followed that up with 2 more defeats, one of them heavy. Lose the 'easy' home game vs Fleetwood, and it should be instant termination, as he'll be on LLL in his 'needs to turn this around quickly' phase.

I've never before feared for the club's long term future, but if something big doesn’t change soon, I'm not sure we'll still exist in 3 years. We seem utterly nailed on relegated already, despite having a squad easily talented enough for mid-table, and infrastructure good enough for the top flight, let alone tier 3.

Well managed (HA!) we should be able to maintain our facilities for a few years in L1. In L2 our costs are just too high for the income to manage.

To be honest the revenue drop between Championship and L1 is much worse than L1 to L2. We already have infrastructure and operations well beyond what we can afford. A new owner will come in and decide what they're prepared to bank roll. If they can maintain them in L1, maintaining them in L2 is not much more of a commitment.

The club won't fold. The question is how much cutting back and scaling down happens, as that means any turnaround will take much longer.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 22 Oct 2023 12:29

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal After 10 games Selles's quarterly review was; ok performances but inadequate results with some signs of promise under challenging circumstances. Needs improvement.

To be honest the revenue drop between Championship and L1 is much worse than L1 to L2. We already have infrastructure and operations well beyond what we can afford. A new owner will come in and decide what they're prepared to bank roll. If they can maintain them in L1, maintaining them in L2 is not much more of a commitment.

The club won't fold. The question is how much cutting back and scaling down happens, as that means any turnaround will take much longer.

One thing to consider is we'll be a less attractive proposition in league 2, especially to international investors. Oh and how long did it take Luton, Coventry, Portsmouth and Bradford to get out of that league?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 Oct 2023 12:34

Royal_jimmy
WestYorksRoyal

One thing to consider is we'll be a less attractive proposition in league 2, especially to international investors. Oh and how long did it take Luton, Coventry, Portsmouth and Bradford to get out of that league?

Yep, the ambition of investors will diminish and we'll be in the lower leagues for longer. But the club has valuable assets and the price will decrease, especially with administration. We would find a buyer as we're too valuable not to. But if we scale back out operations we could be like Bradford. L2 would undeniably be a terrible outcome. But I think he we need to discount liquidation as highly unlikely.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Oct 2023 12:38

Have to win these home games now. Our appalling away record has put massive pressure on us

Normal circumstances would think this is an easy win but do fear go a goal down and we’ll crumble yet again

Have to change the RB position and have to put away some of these chances

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 22 Oct 2023 12:51

Hound Have to change the RB position and have to put away some of these chances

There seems to be uncertainty over whether Yiadom was suspended for two or three league matches, but I'd certainly have him over Bindon at RB if he's available; Abrefa otherwise (assuming Mbengue is still out). Bindon is simply not a RB.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Oct 2023 13:07

Can I just say, called the Bindon issue game one he played there.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Oct 2023 13:58

Snowflake Royal Can I just say, called the Bindon issue game one he played there.

You can say, yes

Tbf he got rinsed against Soton in the pre season friendly there, it’s not a surprise. Though I don’t think he’s been too bad in most games

Agree would rather have Rushesha or Abrefa there until yiadom is back.

The FBs have been a big issue all season - they have to be very good in this formation and they simply aren’t

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Oct 2023 14:12

Hound
Snowflake Royal Can I just say, called the Bindon issue game one he played there.

You can say, yes

Tbf he got rinsed against Soton in the pre season friendly there, it’s not a surprise. Though I don’t think he’s been too bad in most games

Agree would rather have Rushesha or Abrefa there until yiadom is back.

The FBs have been a big issue all season - they have to be very good in this formation and they simply aren’t

Yeah, the deja vu with Gomes is insane.

Remember the start of that season when the fullbacks spending all their time in the opposition third and getting crucified on the break down the flanks

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 Oct 2023 14:40

Hound Have to win these home games now. Our appalling away record has put massive pressure on us

Appalling is a very big understatement, I`m not convinced there has ever been a team in history that has had a worse run of results on the road over a calendar year, 17 defeats in 19 for gods sake, that`s horrendous.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 22 Oct 2023 15:39

Clyde1998
Hound Have to change the RB position and have to put away some of these chances

There seems to be uncertainty over whether Yiadom was suspended for two or three league matches, but I'd certainly have him over Bindon at RB if he's available; Abrefa otherwise (assuming Mbengue is still out). Bindon is simply not a RB.

Dissent is usually a 2 match ban so Yiadom available, Mbengue may be available also based on what Selles said on Friday.

I'd expect Bindon with Abbey now at CB, with one of the above 2 coming in at RB.

For what ever reason Selles doesn't think Abrefa is ready.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 22 Oct 2023 15:57

Sutekh
Just to demonstrate to one and all how far the club has fallen, the complete and utter shambles that is Reading now face a first ever game against Fleetwood Town.

We've dropped to the division in which we've spent the bulk of our history. That fact that Fleetwood are in the division doesn't make it any more of a fall.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 Oct 2023 16:03

tmesis
Sutekh
Just to demonstrate to one and all how far the club has fallen, the complete and utter shambles that is Reading now face a first ever game against Fleetwood Town.

We've dropped to the division in which we've spent the bulk of our history. That fact that Fleetwood are in the division doesn't make it any more of a fall.

SJM's era put down firm foundations that meant we should have left those days behind us. I don't buy the "bulk of our history" viewpoint. Teams drop down, but any stay in 3rd tier should be fleeting with 4th tier unimaginable. But here we are in a crunch relegation clash. Huge indictment on this owner and manager that it has come to this.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 22 Oct 2023 16:17

WestYorksRoyal
tmesis
Sutekh

SJM's era put down firm foundations that meant we should have left those days behind us. I don't buy the "bulk of our history" viewpoint. Teams drop down, but any stay in 3rd tier should be fleeting with 4th tier unimaginable. But here we are in a crunch relegation clash. Huge indictment on this owner and manager that it has come to this.

Yeah, but playing Fleetwood in a League One fixture isn't any more of a fall than playing Leyton Orient.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Oct 2023 20:12

After dogshit away results, this is a must win, can't really say anything else.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 23 Oct 2023 10:45

Even Royal Jimmy could work out that playing a centre back at full back, when your formation relies on the full backs for width, is a recipe for disaster.

No offence Jimbo.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Oct 2023 12:38

Orion1871

Even Royal Jimmy could work out that playing a centre back at full back, when your formation relies on the full backs for width, is a recipe for disaster.

No offence Jimbo.

There are those who disagreed.

365 posts