Watney Cup

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

Watney Cup

by The Cap » 22 Oct 2023 13:04

I've had a scout around other areas on the board and can't see anything. So in remembrance of Sir Bobby, I wondered whether anybody else had the privilege of seeing him, as well as Georgie Best and Denis Law playing at Elm Park, against 'Ding, in the Watney Cup? Alongside memories of that day.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Watney Cup

by windermereROYAL » 22 Oct 2023 14:57

Yes I did, my first glimpse of superstars sharing the same pitch as us, I was in awe of them
It was in the days of the skinheads and there were a few nasty looking united there

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 22 Oct 2023 15:23

I was a whipper snapper at the time and went with my cousin. It was a boiling hot day and we were queued up in Norfolk Road, before this United supporter, in close proximity, said "Aye up, here's lads". And then the Stretford End appeared around the corner from Kensington Road. Never seen anything like it. Skinheads wearing all the gear that skinheads wore back in the day. As they sauntered along Norfolk Road, windows were going through and then they kicked the ground's corrugated doors in (opp Spread Eagle). On the pitch playing footie by 1 o'clock. Apart from all that, it was a joy to see the United idols (including Sir Bobby) showcasing their skills at Elm Park......in the Watney Cup.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 22 Oct 2023 15:31

My dad and brother went, I was only 6 and too big a crowd I expect, think it was played pre season.

It was on ITV's The Big Match the next day (seen it on YouTube somewhere) we got very favourable coverage particularly from Jimmy Hill.

Charlton scored I believe.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 22 Oct 2023 16:00

Mid Sussex Royal My dad and brother went, I was only 6 and too big a crowd I expect, think it was played pre season.

It was on ITV's The Big Match the next day (seen it on YouTube somewhere) we got very favourable coverage particularly from Jimmy Hill.

Yes, I was there. Bobby did score-twice! If I remember correctly (and at my age memories can't always be trusted) in the first half, after United scored first and we equalised Reading scoring again in the second half. I think the crowd was something in the region of 17-18 thousand. Not bad for a pre-season "meaningless" match. Can't remember who scored the other goals though. Walked back to the Station afterwards to catch the train home, didn't see ahy signs of trouble.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 22 Oct 2023 18:04

I was there, it was the biggest game we'd ever had at the time with so many Man U superstars playing , happy days

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 22 Oct 2023 18:27

I’ll never forget Charlton’s goal as it one of our all time heroes that made the mistake that lead to Bobby scoring. Steve Death had a habit when after collecting the ball, instead of drop kicking it upfield as every other goalie did, he would throw the ball in the air, let it drop to the ground and half volley the thing, which is what he did, but fluffed the kick all of 20 yards to Charlton who volleyed it straight back into the net past a stranded Death. We still loved you though Steve.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 Oct 2023 18:48

United team
Alex Stepney, Paul Edwards, Tony Dunn, Pat Crerand, Ian Ure, David Sadler, Willie Morgan, Denis Law, Bobby Charlton, Brian Kidd, George Best.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 22 Oct 2023 19:20

windermereROYAL United team
Alex Stepney, Paul Edwards, Tony Dunn, Pat Crerand, Ian Ure, David Sadler, Willie Morgan, Denis Law, Bobby Charlton, Brian Kidd, George Best.

And what a team that was. 'Unbelievable Jeff'.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 23 Oct 2023 17:12

My Father deemed me too young to go, plus he told me it wasn't an important game "I will take you when we play them in the FA Cup.........."

Fast forward to 1996, and we finally got Man Utd in the FA Cup; I ended up taking my Father to the game!

For the record, that Man Utd team in 1996 wasn't too shabby.............

Goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel
Defenders Steve Bruce, Denis Irwin, Gary Neville, Phil Neville
Midfielders Roy Keane, Nicky Butt, Ryan Giggs, Lee Sharpe
Forwards Eric Cantona, Andy Cole

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Oct 2023 22:25

I think it was the first game my dad ever went to. His dad was more interested in horses, but one of dad's friends told him that Charlton and Best were going to be playing and he nagged granddad into taking him.

All those years later he's still a season ticket holder.

fred sharpes nose

by fred sharpes nose » 24 Oct 2023 01:48

I was there, having seen my first ever game towards the end of the season before against Luton 0-1.

I seem to remember the Watney Cup was a pre season competition for teams who scored the most goals in their respective divisions the season before.

Of course Reading went on to be relegated in the upcoming season - Terry Bell scored with a bullet header, sadly into our own net and we went down to Div 4 for the first time ever. Lets relive those joys this season !

Was a cracking full strength Utd team and good TV coverage (The Big Match?).

It may have been Brian Moore commentating but I always remember a pithy one liner from him "Charlton shoots, into the arms of Death"

RIP Bob

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 24 Oct 2023 07:57

Queued up from about 11.00am to get in the Southbank, not sure why! Remember it being a boiling hot day. Were told the gates would open at 13.00 only to be kicked in at about 12.30 by the Stretford Boys. Seem to remember a TV camera being smashed by the Mancs at some point and I think we ended up hiding somewhere in the town end! Well, us boys from Yateley were only 13 or 14 at that time, those Stretford enders were proper grown ups! RIP Sir Bobby, one of the few gentlemen of the game.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Oct 2023 08:02

For comparison, what was the Reading team that day?

bakerlou

by bakerlou » 24 Oct 2023 15:02

Sutekh

For comparison, what was the Reading team that day?

bakerlou

by bakerlou » 24 Oct 2023 15:03

Mid Sussex Royal My dad and brother went, I was only 6 and too big a crowd I expect, think it was played pre season.

Full link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtUdmuIIVEE

Thanks for mentioning this MSR, I'd have never have looked it up otherwise

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 24 Oct 2023 17:54

bakerlou

Full link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtUdmuIIVEE

Thanks for mentioning this MSR, I'd have never have looked it up otherwise

Fantastic!!!

A full 1 hour highlights programme!!!

:-)

And I loved the intro; George Best scoring some of the 6 goals he scored against Northampton Town on a ploughed field (that had to be Old Trafford; no way you could get that many into the County Ground).

Why was every football pitch in the 1970's a ploughed field, even in August?

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 24 Oct 2023 19:23

Thanks for the feedback and highlights lads. Much appreciated. After all, regardless of age, we're still lads at heart. And have stories that people would die for. Not literally, of course :lol:

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 24 Oct 2023 19:26

I loved watching that, I know my dad and uncle went, but they didn’t take me. I was only 7 and I expect they went for a few drinks in the Spread Eagle before the game. The best football I have seen us play for ages and it was great to see Steve Death one of my boyhood heroes.

I didn’t start going until 1972, but it looked like our fans were in the Town End for that game. Did the Town End used to be for home fans? I only remember it being the Tilehurst End.

I’d be interested to know how good the team that had just missed out on promotion the season before had been. I have vague memories of my dad being disappointed, but I was probably too young for it to really register.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 24 Oct 2023 19:35

blythspartan I loved watching that, I know my dad and uncle went, but they didn’t take me. I was only 7 and I expect they went for a few drinks in the Spread Eagle before the game. The best football I have seen us play for ages and it was great to see Steve Death one of my boyhood heroes.

I didn’t start going until 1972, but it looked like our fans were in the Town End for that game. Did the Town End used to be for home fans? I only remember it being the Tilehurst End.

I’d be interested to know how good the team that had just missed out on promotion the season before had been. I have vague memories of my dad being disappointed, but I was probably too young for it to really register.

I was in the Town End for that game. And, apparently, some of the Reading fans started chanting 'City' in the Tilehurst End and got a good kicking for their so called 'bravery'. Some may well say 'stupidness' given the circumstances.