MATCHWATCH : Portsmouth (h)

276 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Portsmouth (h)

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Oct 2023 09:32

Elm Park Kid
Royal_jimmy
NathStPaul We just need someone who knows the league. Even someone as boring and basic as Simon Grayson gets our squad to midtable. It is mental we didn't employ an EFL League 1/2 expert in the summer, totally negligent on the part of Bowen and Dai.

Yup. As bad as we are behind the scenes I think we could have got someone in who has experience in this league. I'd have even had Michael Appleton over Selles.

You know, a lot of people on here thought that Selles was a good appointment. Which goes to show that HNA really doesn't have any better clue overall than Dai.

Name and shame.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 25 Oct 2023 09:33

NathStPaul
Ascotexgunner
Elm Park Kid
You know, a lot of people on here thought that Selles was a good appointment. Which goes to show that HNA really doesn't have any better clue overall than Dai.

I said he would be gone by November....

Hark at Wyclef Jean over here.

You need to get some new jokes mate :D :wink:

investex

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 25 Oct 2023 09:34

Elm Park Kid
NathStPaul
Ascotexgunner

You need to get some new jokes mate :D :wink:

investex

Hey, if you leave the door open for the Wyclef joke then I will enter the room.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 Oct 2023 09:36

Snowflake Royal L

Who cares.

Even Ian has joined the apathy club! :shock:

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 25 Oct 2023 09:50

Elm Park Kid
Royal_jimmy
NathStPaul We just need someone who knows the league. Even someone as boring and basic as Simon Grayson gets our squad to midtable. It is mental we didn't employ an EFL League 1/2 expert in the summer, totally negligent on the part of Bowen and Dai.

Yup. As bad as we are behind the scenes I think we could have got someone in who has experience in this league. I'd have even had Michael Appleton over Selles.

I never like gloating and saying I was right as I want the club to be successful but I was confident this appointment would be a disaster.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 25 Oct 2023 10:02

NathStPaul
Ascotexgunner
Elm Park Kid

Oi...when your as wrong as me most of the time, any small victory is taken.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Oct 2023 12:01

All this talk about formations lately but it’ll be tactical suicide if he perseveres with the 4-2-2-2 (no it isn’t 4-4-2, no matter what people argue). The organisation and structure is so far away from being good enough and we look susceptible to conceding almost every time the opposition attack. It’s something Portsmouth will obviously do their homework on and exploit.

Probably an element of players being better the less they play but would go with something like:

Button

Yiadom
Bindon
Abbey
NGW

Hutchinson

Azeez
Craig
Elliott
Mukairu

Smith

Pereira, Holmes, Rushesha, Wing, Camara, Vickers, Ballard

We have a big squad, it makes the constant use of the same underperforming players even more bewildering. Not convinced by Azeez but he did enough last night and we’re not exactly blessed for options out wide

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 25 Oct 2023 12:31

The positive is Yiadom should be available for this; I'd have him in at RB. If we're sticking with the same formation (which we will do), I'd want to see:

Button
Yiadom - Bindon - Abbey - NGW
Elliott - Wing - Savage - Knibbs
Ehib - Smith

Subs: Pereira; Dean; Carson; Craig; Azeez; Camara; Ballard

Assuming only Yiadom is able to return to the squad. Would want McIntyre, Hutch, Mukairu and Vickers on the bench (or starting) if they're available; probably Holmes too.

If all those players are available, I'd go with (again with the same formation):

Button
Mukairu - Wing - Hutch - Knibbs
Ehib - Smith

Subs: Pereira; Holmes; McIntyre; Savage; Elliott; Camara/Vickers; Ballard

If it was me picking the team (with all those players available), I'd probably go for:

Button
Yiadom - Bindon - Abbey - McIntyre - NGW
Wing - Hutch - Savage/Elliott
Ehib - Smith

Subs: Pereira; Holmes; Savage/Elliott; Mukairu; Knibbs; Vickers; Ballard

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Oct 2023 12:40

genome
Snowflake Royal L

Who cares.

Even Ian has joined the apathy club! :shock:

I've had lots of apathy for about 3 years. My pathy returned with relegation, but we've even managed to oxf*rd that up.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Oct 2023 12:46

Clyde1998 The positive is Yiadom should be available for this; I'd have him in at RB. If we're sticking with the same formation (which we will do), I'd want to see:

Button
Ehib - Smith

Assuming only Yiadom is able to return to the squad. Would want McIntyre, Hutch, Mukairu and Vickers on the bench (or starting) if they're available; probably Holmes too.

If all those players are available, I'd go with (again with the same formation):

Button
Ehib - Smith

If it was me picking the team (with all those players available), I'd probably go for:

Button
Ehib - Smith

I'd play whoever is most rubbish/immune to losing confidence and least likely to recover/perform at L1 level this season. We're getting smashed one way or another, so need to protect the ones that might be ok from being damaged further.

...................Pereira
Yiadom, Dean, Dorsett, Carson
Azeez, Hutch*, Wing, Mukairu
...........Ballard, Vickers

*if fit, otherwise Savage.

Then when we have a game where we have a not shit manager and a credible chance at a point, we can ring the changes to our best team.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 25 Oct 2023 12:49

Snowflake Royal
Clyde1998 The positive is Yiadom should be available for this; I'd have him in at RB. If we're sticking with the same formation (which we will do), I'd want to see:

Button
Ehib - Smith

Button
Ehib - Smith

Button
Ehib - Smith

I'd play whoever is most rubbish/immune to losing confidence and least likely to recover/perform at L1 level this season. We're getting smashed one way or another, so need to protect the ones that might be ok from being damaged further.

Then when we have a game where we have a not shit manager and a credible chance at a point, we can ring the changes to our best team.

Craig has to play in cm imo, everytime ive seen this uy play he runs the show.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 25 Oct 2023 12:51

Brogue
Snowflake Royal

Button
Ehib - Smith

Button
Ehib - Smith

Button
Ehib - Smith

Really think it would be wise to play three CM's against Portsmouth, try and boss the middle of the park. Craig, Savage and Wing.

Of course Selles won't do that though.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Oct 2023 13:00

Brogue
Snowflake Royal

Button
Ehib - Smith

Button
Ehib - Smith

Button
Ehib - Smith

Absolutely. So save him from playing under Selles and getting stuffed

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 25 Oct 2023 13:01

NathStPaul
Brogue
Snowflake Royal I'd play whoever is most rubbish/immune to losing confidence and least likely to recover/perform at L1 level this season. We're getting smashed one way or another, so need to protect the ones that might be ok from being damaged further.

Really think it would be wise to play three CM's against Portsmouth, try and boss the middle of the park. Craig, Savage and Wing.

Agree with playing 3 CM’s.

If we start the game as badly as we did against Fleetwood we’ll get massacred by Pompey.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Oct 2023 13:08

blythspartan
NathStPaul
Brogue

If we start the game as badly as we did against Fleetwood we’ll get massacred by Pompey.

I also disagree with Hound that 4-2-2-2 is just the same as 4-2-3-1. The latter gives more width and protection to fullbacks, relies on the fullbacks less.

Agree 3 in midfield is the way to go. I'd hit up the most enthusiastic and least despairing. So Vickers and Rushesha would be in, Wing stays, probably Azeez too, because whilst he hasn't delivered, it hasn't stopped him trying and he doesn't go missing.
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 25 Oct 2023 13:09, edited 1 time in total.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 25 Oct 2023 13:08

blythspartan
NathStPaul
Brogue

If we gave a side like Portsmouth the chances we gave Fleetwood - we'd've been 4-0 down within twenty minutes. We simply cannot allow that to happen - three in midfield is needed.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Oct 2023 14:09

Snowflake Royal
blythspartan
NathStPaul Really think it would be wise to play three CM's against Portsmouth, try and boss the middle of the park. Craig, Savage and Wing.

I also disagree with Hound that 4-2-2-2 is just the same as 4-2-3-1. The latter gives more width and protection to fullbacks, relies on the fullbacks less.

Agree 3 in midfield is the way to go. I'd hit up the most enthusiastic and least despairing. So Vickers and Rushesha would be in, Wing stays, probably Azeez too, because whilst he hasn't delivered, it hasn't stopped him trying and he doesn't go missing.

Not the same but similar. That ‘3’ would certainly give no more protection than the current set up unless the whole philosophy changed and they played deeper making a 4-5-1

I’m a bit baffled by the constant 4-2-2-2 noise. See the comment above that it was definitely 4-2-2-2 and not 4-4-2….just can’t agree

If no one had ever mentioned the bloody 4-2-2-2 not one single person would say we were playing anything other than a 4-4-2 last night. Esp when Azeez came on (dunno what or where Camara was meant to be tbh)

Edit: final word on this from me because I’m boring myself. Go to whoscored and check the touch maps for Camara, Azeez, Knibbs and compare to Savage and Wing

The huge majority of touches for the first 3 are wide, very few central (ie width of centre circle). Esp Azeez who has nearly all his touched right out on the flank

Sav is centre left and wing is predominantly centre right with a few on the right wing

Ours and Fleetwoods heat maps are much the same

What we might be doing and if this is what people say when talk 4-2-2-2 then fair enough

—— Gk ——
Rb cb cb lb
— cm cm —
Rm — — Lm
— Cf Cf —
Last edited by Hound on 25 Oct 2023 14:43, edited 2 times in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Oct 2023 14:15

Anyway for this - no idea really. Tweaks and amendments and changes to the formation to move x player slightly deeper and y player slightly wider won’t make a slightest bit of difference

Think we prob have to go out to be a lot more conservative - play the experience, try to nick something. Don’t think that is Selles game though. The kids are the future but the here and now is we need to protect them and try to get some results

So something like

Button
Yiadom Dean Abbey NGW
Azeez Wing Hutch Savage Knibbs
Smith

Maybe swap Savage for Ehib or Mukairo. Even Mbengue maybe

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Oct 2023 15:00

Hound
Snowflake Royal
blythspartan

Not the same but similar. That ‘3’ would certainly give no more protection than the current set up unless the whole philosophy changed and they played deeper making a 4-5-1

I’m a bit baffled by the constant 4-2-2-2 noise. See the comment above that it was definitely 4-2-2-2 and not 4-4-2….just can’t agree

If no one had ever mentioned the bloody 4-2-2-2 not one single person would say we were playing anything other than a 4-4-2 last night. Esp when Azeez came on (dunno what or where Camara was meant to be tbh)

Edit: final word on this from me because I’m boring myself. Go to whoscored and check the touch maps for Camara, Azeez, Knibbs and compare to Savage and Wing

The huge majority of touches for the first 3 are wide, very few central (ie width of centre circle). Esp Azeez who has nearly all his touched right out on the flank

Sav is centre left and wing is predominantly centre right with a few on the right wing

What we might be doing and if this is what people say when talk 4-2-2-2 then fair enough

—— Gk ——
Rb cb cb lb
— cm cm —
Rm — — Lm
— Cf Cf —

Well it’s exactly that. 4-4-2 implies a flat four. No-one can argue that’s what we play as the “attacking” two are quite clearly a fair distance ahead of the “defensive” two. A 4-4-2 is generally consistent with your two wide players tracking their respective FB’s and it simply doesn’t happen

Noticed a pattern even after the Peterborough game where we effectively maintained a press of four players and no-one else. It leaves our FB’s and two holding midfielders constantly exposed. We actually had a fairly decent record defensively after 4/5 games but teams have easily adapted against it.

It’s a variation of a 4-4-2 but it’s a fairly big difference IMO. Pedantic, perhaps, but it’s like calling a 4-2-3-1 the same as a 4-3-3 or a 4-5-1 etc etc. Broadly speaking, they’re similar but when you break it down, there’s a vast difference

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Oct 2023 15:06

URZZZZ
Hound
Snowflake Royal I also disagree with Hound that 4-2-2-2 is just the same as 4-2-3-1. The latter gives more width and protection to fullbacks, relies on the fullbacks less.

—— Gk ——
Rb cb cb lb
— cm cm —
Rm — — Lm
— Cf Cf —

Well it’s exactly that. 4-4-2 implies a flat four. No-one can argue that’s what we play as the “attacking” two are quite clearly a fair distance ahead of the “defensive” two. A 4-4-2 is generally consistent with your two wide players tracking their respective FB’s and it simply doesn’t happen

Noticed a pattern even after the Peterborough game where we effectively maintained a press of four players and no-one else. It leaves our FB’s and two holding midfielders constantly exposed. We actually had a fairly decent record defensively after 4/5 games but teams have easily adapted against it.

It’s a variation of a 4-4-2 but it’s a fairly big difference IMO. Pedantic, perhaps, but it’s like calling a 4-2-3-1 the same as a 4-3-3 or a 4-5-1 etc etc. Broadly speaking, they’re similar but when you break it down, there’s a vast difference

Glad we cleared that up then!

Yes that’s pretty much how I see it. My reading of what’s happening is we’re pressing too aggressively with the strikers and wingers too often. Occasionally it works and we make a chance (and fail to score it) but often its played around and it’s leaving the centre mids too exposed - and they aren’t dominant enough and get beaten too easily and pulled out of position

Then the back 4 are often 1 vs 1. Other than Abbey they just aren’t good enough in that situation. Dean too slow, and Binden NGW/Carson beaten far too often by the winger

We need to pull the wide midfielders back, press with only the front 2 (this could be the AM in a midfield 5) and keep the shape better imo

276 posts