The Gospel of seLLLes

16 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

The Gospel of seLLLes

by Millsy » 25 Oct 2023 10:13

To be fair to seLLLes he does

a) speakreallyreallyfastandthrowlotsofwordsin so he must know what he's talking about

and

b) come up with gems of wisdom which show that he is always thinking and always learning.

So, amidst all this negativity I thought it'd be worth dedicating a thread to his great words, which I hope will be enshrined as some sort of Bible for future managers to refer to and be inspired by.

1 - "We quickly need to learn how to play" - Selles (3rd October 2023)

Genius idea. Yes, after preseason and a quarter of the way through a season, and as a lifetime in football duping two clubs into hiring you as manager, yes that would be a good idea. Learning how to play is an absolutely fantastic idea. All hail Selles.

2 - " I think at the end of the day some of the situations are about putting the ball in the net and protecting better." - Selles (24th October 2023)

None of us ever thought about it but when you really reflect on it, he's absolutely right. Two gems of wisdom in one. In some games (not all, obviously), it would be a good idea to try to put the ball in the net because the referee interprets this as a goal, and also protect your own goal so you concede less. When you think about it this amounts to scoring more and conceding less which should theoretically lead to better results. Absolute genius.

I know results haven't been great but in three short weeks he has grown exponentially as a manager. Any statistician on HNA will be able to extrapolate and tell you this means autopro by the end of the season.

Amen.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Gospel of seLLLes

by 72 bus » 25 Oct 2023 17:53

:D
Millsy To be fair to seLLLes he does

a) speakreallyreallyfastandthrowlotsofwordsin so he must know what he's talking about

and

b) come up with gems of wisdom which show that he is always thinking and always learning.

So, amidst all this negativity I thought it'd be worth dedicating a thread to his great words, which I hope will be enshrined as some sort of Bible for future managers to refer to and be inspired by.

1 - "We quickly need to learn how to play" - Selles (3rd October 2023)

Genius idea. Yes, after preseason and a quarter of the way through a season, and as a lifetime in football duping two clubs into hiring you as manager, yes that would be a good idea. Learning how to play is an absolutely fantastic idea. All hail Selles.

2 - " I think at the end of the day some of the situations are about putting the ball in the net and protecting better." - Selles (24th October 2023)

None of us ever thought about it but when you really reflect on it, he's absolutely right. Two gems of wisdom in one. In some games (not all, obviously), it would be a good idea to try to put the ball in the net because the referee interprets this as a goal, and also protect your own goal so you concede less. When you think about it this amounts to scoring more and conceding less which should theoretically lead to better results. Absolute genius.

I know results haven't been great but in three short weeks he has grown exponentially as a manager. Any statistician on HNA will be able to extrapolate and tell you this means autopro by the end of the season.

Amen.

:D

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Oct 2023 08:06

While amusing have to say I wonder how many of us would fare if we had to give regular media interviews in our non-native languages.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Oct 2023 08:44

Sutekh While amusing have to say I wonder how many of us would fare if we had to give regular media interviews in our non-native languages.

How many of us are fluent in a non-native language?

How many pf us would take a job involving multiple media interviews a week to be delivered in a foreign language

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Oct 2023 10:45

3 - "that is what we need to start doing, winning games of football" - Selles (28th October 2023)

Mind blown. Great idea. These gems are coming thick and fast.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Oct 2023 16:29

Always enjoyed meeting keyboard warriors in person at business meetings. When asked what they would suggest. Normally met with a deafening silence.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 12 Nov 2023 10:10

4 - “It is time to stop complaining or making excuses.” - Selles (11th November 2023)

Finally. You going to do the decent thing then Selles?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 12 Nov 2023 10:38

"We need to" is the default comment 5 to 10 times in every post match interview isn`t it, well sodding well do it then you clueless clown.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Nov 2023 10:42

Never really given a toss about what managers say - rarely read or listen to the interviews. It’s normally 30 mins after a highly emotional match

They all speak utter rubbish as we all would in the same situation. Even someone as intelligent and considered as Arsene Wenger for example spoke shite post match

Only thing that matters is performance and result on the pitch. And there he is failing miserably

Delboy

by Delboy » 12 Nov 2023 10:54

I have watched Reading for 60 years he is easily the worst ever manager

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 11 Dec 2023 16:04

5 - "Games like that unfortunately happen. But we need to be better" - Selles (9th December 2023)

Yeah they just "happen", Selles. They just happen. It's annoying when games like that just happen isn't it? I wish they would stop happening. Maybe ask the EFL if they can stop these sorts of games happening. Fancy art aside, I hate happenings. I wish things in the universe would just stop happening.

But back to the trusty "we need to". This game's wnt is simple: be better.

I think he's onto something here. See, if we were better, maybe we'd actually achieve the wnt of 28/10/23? That'd be nice. Selles, you've convinced me and I'm IN - do it.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 12 Dec 2023 08:22

All managers talk rubbish

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 12 Dec 2023 08:34

I'm convinced he talks to the players like this too.

People are blaming the tennis ball protests for disrupting the flow of the game and the concentration of the players but no, they go and speak to Selles during the break in play and suddenly are noticeably worse afterwards.

Second half performances are often poorer than in the first half. That's because Selles spoke to the players at half time. They come out with his pearls of wisdom rattling around inside their heads. They spend the next 45 minutes trying to work out what he was on about and are unable to perform as well as a result.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 12 Dec 2023 10:22

Delboy I have watched Reading for 60 years he is easily the worst ever manager

Got to disagree there, in my 55 years, Bullivant and Burns would share that honour!

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 12 Dec 2023 10:27

percy_freeman
Delboy I have watched Reading for 60 years he is easily the worst ever manager

Got to disagree there, in my 55 years, Bullivant and Burns would share that honour!

He's very similar to Burns. Both with no idea about the league they're in.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Dec 2023 10:59

He's way worse than Burns. Burns finished mid table in his first season in L1 and had a good record in Scotland.

Selles has won about 6 league games in his career. Which is now 35 league games. That's 17%. It’s utterly pathetic.

Meanwhile he's lost 22. 63%.

He is quite simply, by far and away, our worst performing manager ever.

16 posts   •   Page 1 of 1