Huddersfield penalty shoot out - sliding doors?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Huddersfield penalty shoot out - sliding doors?

by WestYorksRoyal » 27 Oct 2023 00:01

Maybe there is a thread to merge this with. But I've seen a few threads and heard a few podcasts look upon the shoot out against Huddersfield in 2017 as the sliding doors moment under Dai; a counterfactual.

I say total bollocks. Had we got promoted, it would have meant more money to piss away, more opportunity for Kia to leech off us, more journeymen on obscene wages. Imagine Aluko, Puscas and Baldock but with PL financial power. It would have come to a head 4 years after relegation from the PL, which would have been 2022. Pretty similar to the reality.

Dai is an absolute oxf*rd disaster so let's put this all on him. Not Moore and Obita. The only beneficiary from promotion that day wouldn't have been Kia Joorabchian.

The sliding doors moment was 2008. We should have stayed up then and had a 5/6 yest PL stint. Perhaps we'd have found a better buyer and would now be Fulham. But it didn't happen and we're suffering now.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Huddersfield penalty shoot out - sliding doors?

by John Smith » 27 Oct 2023 00:14

If anyone wants to speak negatively about Jordan Obita, please come through me first. You have, without doubt, never played the game at any level if so.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 27 Oct 2023 00:29

John Smith If anyone wants to speak negatively about Jordan Obita, please come through me first. You have, without doubt, never played the game at any level if so.

I mentioned him once and said he's not to blame :|

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 27 Oct 2023 00:49

John Smith If anyone wants to speak negatively about Jordan Obita, please come through me first. You have, without doubt, never played the game at any level if so.

Oooooo you're 'ard!

I think he stinks of fish...pud'em up!

JR

by JR » 27 Oct 2023 06:08

WestYorksRoyal Maybe there is a thread to merge this with. But I've seen a few threads and heard a few podcasts look upon the shoot out against Huddersfield in 2017 as the sliding doors moment under Dai; a counterfactual.

I say total bollocks. Had we got promoted, it would have meant more money to piss away, more opportunity for Kia to leech off us, more journeymen on obscene wages. Imagine Aluko, Puscas and Baldock but with PL financial power. It would have come to a head 4 years after relegation from the PL, which would have been 2022. Pretty similar to the reality.

Dai is an absolute oxf*rd disaster so let's put this all on him. Not Moore and Obita. The only beneficiary from promotion that day wouldn't have been Kia Joorabchian.

The sliding doors moment was 2008. We should have stayed up then and had a 5/6 yest PL stint. Perhaps we'd have found a better buyer and would now be Fulham. But it didn't happen and we're suffering now.

The current malaise for the England ODI team reminds me of that spring of 2008.

A team that has had great success in recent years, reaching the pinnacle and over performing, suddenly hit’s an unstoppable slide that few commentators saw coming but seems obvious with hindsight. A lack of confidence and motivational leadership means defeat after defeat is inevitable and the players never reach the same heights again.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 27 Oct 2023 06:53

Moore’s penalty …

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 27 Oct 2023 07:45

Thanks for letting us know, Smithy. If I hear of anyone I'll let you know. Do you have a contact number, or should prople just message you on here?

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 27 Oct 2023 07:56

WestYorksRoyal Maybe there is a thread to merge this with. But I've seen a few threads and heard a few podcasts look upon the shoot out against Huddersfield in 2017 as the sliding doors moment under Dai; a counterfactual.

Yes, I agree with this and would add that under Zingarevich we were in dire straits after relegation from the Premiership.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Oct 2023 08:09

blythspartan

Yes, I agree with this and would add that under Zingarevich we were in dire straits after relegation from the Premiership.

Could do with some Private Investigations to confirm the situation at the time but it all comes down to the fact that the modern game doesn't choose Love over Gold.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Oct 2023 08:32

blythspartan

Is of course the right answer.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Oct 2023 08:34

I don't think we'd have been fishing around for the Baldock's, Aluko's, Meyler's etc of the world if we were promoted to the Premier League, although case in point nothing to suggest that we wouldn't have spent a whole load more money on players that weren't good enough and would have likely had an even higher wage bill, even with parachute payments.

I'd have liked to have seen what we'd have done in the PL should we have gone up under Stam, more just because of how he played than anything else. We were obviously lacking so much quality in the squad where we'd have needed to have spent an absolute fortune to survive, although I'd have found it interesting to see how his philosophy would have worked (very likely failed) in the PL.

For me I think the sliding doors moment was relegation from the PL when Zingarevich was (wasn't) at the club. Basically a couple of years of parachute payments were being soaked up in order to keep us out of administration, whereas it's normally a good buffer for most teams who come down, at least for a couple of seasons anyway.

under the tin

by under the tin » 27 Oct 2023 08:36

Franchise FC Moore’s penalty …

Crikey! forgot he missed his pen by that margin!

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Oct 2023 09:19

Orion1871

Thanks for letting us know, Smithy. If I hear of anyone I'll let you know. Do you have a contact number, or should prople just message you on here?

It's a threat not to be taken lightly. One play through of Weller's back catalogue and you'll be screaming for mercy.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Oct 2023 09:23

Stam's philosophy would have been a disaster in the PL because it was based on dominating possession and boring the opposition to death.

We would have had minimal possession, got minimal chances and been destroyed.

We would have needed an entirely new squad, of those in the final we had maybe Moore, Al-Habsi, McCleary (if ever fit), Swift and Williams could have played any real part in the PL.

royal67

by royal67 » 27 Oct 2023 09:29

Franchise FC Moore’s penalty …

Post of the day..... :lol:

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 27 Oct 2023 09:30

I agree that given Dai's (and his advisers) absolute incompetence and Stam's now proven lack of managerial ability that it would have ended in tears either way.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Oct 2023 09:49

Snowflake Royal Stam's philosophy would have been a disaster in the PL because it was based on dominating possession and boring the opposition to death.

We would have needed an entirely new squad, of those in the final we had maybe Moore, Al-Habsi, McCleary (if ever fit), Swift and Williams could have played any real part in the PL.

Yep probably and agree on the players as well. Needed major investment to stand any chance, but if we could have done that, it would have been interesting to see if Stam's football would have worked, it probably wouldn't have though.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 27 Oct 2023 10:39

Very much agree on 2008.
A great opportunity (see Bournemouth, Fulham, Brighton, Brentford) for one of the smaller clubs to consolidate at the top level.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 27 Oct 2023 10:41

Snowflake Royal Stam's philosophy would have been a disaster in the PL because it was based on dominating possession and boring the opposition to death.

No way of knowing really...passing sides tend to be able to compete better at the higher level and it is possible we'd have got some good loanees from the likes of Man U given Stam's contacts who would have been more suited to that style of play

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 27 Oct 2023 10:43

The shoot-out probably was a sliding doors moment, but not in the way you'd expect.

Had we gone up and been a Premier League club, Dai's ownership of the club wouldn't have been ratified and we would have remained owned by the Thais. This probably would have been an absolute disaster from a football point of view, and a very swift return to the second tier would have followed, but we'd have been more secure.

If you want a real sliding doors moment for us as a club, removing Howe and appointing Gourlay is MUCH more significant.