122 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : MK Dons (h)

by Hound » 05 Nov 2023 07:04

Snowflake Royal
Hound
paultheroyal
Not entirely sure what wing brings to the team either.

Other than a goal and 2 assists you mean?

Bit baffled by that comment, obviously wasn't able to watch this one, but Wing has been the standout (damning with faint praise perhaps) midfielder in our squad. Drives the ball forward. Mostly does his defensive work. Looks to be positive and make attacking passes, not afraid to have a crack at goal. Willing to take a yellow when needed.

Yeah that pretty much. Tries to make things happen and has found his scoring touch. Looks our most useful player every time I’ve watched

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 05 Nov 2023 07:23

4325 (635 away)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Nov 2023 08:07

percy_freeman Aldershot home or away will do. Glad there are still some on here that remember the rivalry between us and as someone from Yateley who got the train from Sandhurst back in the day, there's some great memories of our meetings.

Better to avoid Aldersh*t given their current form and destruction of Donald Swindon yesterday. Mix that with the general hopelessness of Selles' teams and it could be rather embarrassing, think it best to avoid and accept the inevitability of a trip to/from Derby/Barnsley or Portsmouth.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 05 Nov 2023 08:19

Yeah, sorry, I was sat in a dark room, bored, waiting for a grizzly 4yo to go back to sleep.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 05 Nov 2023 10:41

Crowbar6753
paultheroyal Flat first half and you could argue MK DONS were the better treat. Whatever that defensive line up was in the first half needs to stop. So open at the back certainly from our defensive left side. Any decent winger would have a field day and be allowed to have so many one on ones running into space.

Subs again made a positive difference second half and far more direct. Missed quite a few opportunities and could easily of been 5. Another good display from Azeez when outside the box, but by god that bloke needs a goal, and sharpish.

Not entirely sure what wing brings to the team either. Not a lot of running, energy and I am sure is part of the problem being so powder puff in the middle.

Anyway, win is a win, some momentum into Tuesday and a real must win game.

Aldershot or Eastleigh away please in the next round.

Hi Paul, Yes, Aldershite away has to be the prized ticket for me, maybe Poxford away would also be fun especially for us folk with fond memories of these rivalries from the late 70s and 80s :D :D
Had some friends who were Donny Rovers fans, and when ever they played down South at Swindon and Aldershot we would watch in the away end with them, super nice guys.
At the Aldershot game me and my mate were wearing a jacket and Donny rovers scarf with our Reading shirts underneath for shits and giggles!! Anyway, during the second have we had this fun idea to take our jackets off and parade our colours to the aldershite fans, the Donny fans thought this was hilarious and started chanting "We love you Reading we do" all quiet surreal really....well this wasn't our greatest moment and we almost got lynched especially when they were mob handed and waiting for us outside!! Luckily the Donny Rovers supporters ushered us onto their supporters coach and the driver dropped us of at North Camp train station a few miles down the road. :D :D
Good times had by all, great gesture by the Donny fans.

Sounds as though you had a touch there, Crowbar. Came across their so called 'A' crew, when we were playing away to the fake hoops and they had a Cup game in Landen. Anyway, cutting a long story short, some of our lads were in a pub round the corner from Spoons. And then some of their crew turned up. Story for another day.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 05 Nov 2023 11:05

rabidbee
Elm Park Kid
Millsy 1-1

I generally like Dellor but f**king hell I hate how he comentates with goals. Never seems to learn. It's often not instantly and unequivocally clear, when you're just listening, that a goal has been scored. He often dicks around with several long vaguely descriptive paragraphs of fluff while you can hear a cheer in the background not quite knowing if a goal has been scored or some other thing has happened. And eventually you'll glean from something he says a minute later that it was actually a goal at that moment.

Eg instead of "and they take a shot and... GOAL, It's 1-1!" he does something like "and they take a shot and... oh goodness what a shot, keeper didn't get to it, *crowd going wild cheering in background* and it was such a good move. Perhaps defence didn't see it. Seems against the run of play. I wonder what Selles is thinking now, what a great move. Who'd have thought they would let the opposition equalise [ah ok so they've scored have they, idiot!?]..."

Stupid pillock.

I think he assumes everyone is watching it live alongside him.

Yeah, I spotted that myself listening today. Almost every time it's like he's talking to someone who's watching the game with him, rather than actually informing us of what's happening.

His actual commentary can be heard with the video highlights on the Beeb, and goes something like this for the first MK goal: “…good early ball in, Pereira <cheering> tries to turn the ball away, and Alex Gilby, the MK captain, is on hand to score.” Similar for the second: “here’s the shot, through a crowd, Pereira makes a good first save <cheering>, but the second follow-up shot is there, Max Deans scored for MK Dons…” For all of the things he can be criticised for, this seems a tad harsh.

For the Reading goals there’s no mucking around:
“Kelvin into the box, here’s his shot… 1-0 Reading!”
“Wing delivers, header, GOAL!”
“Great chance, here’s Wing… 3-1!”

And for their goal you cannot fully blame him for thinking Pereira was going to save it ... he somehow managed to miss the ball despite getting his hand on it.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Nov 2023 11:20

Royalwaster
rabidbee
Elm Park Kid
Yeah, I spotted that myself listening today. Almost every time it's like he's talking to someone who's watching the game with him, rather than actually informing us of what's happening.

His actual commentary can be heard with the video highlights on the Beeb, and goes something like this for the first MK goal: “…good early ball in, Pereira <cheering> tries to turn the ball away, and Alex Gilby, the MK captain, is on hand to score.” Similar for the second: “here’s the shot, through a crowd, Pereira makes a good first save <cheering>, but the second follow-up shot is there, Max Deans scored for MK Dons…” For all of the things he can be criticised for, this seems a tad harsh.

And for their goal you cannot fully blame him for thinking Pereira was going to save it ... he somehow managed to miss the ball despite getting his hand on it.

How did Pereira do overall, does he look decent or is it suspected he may be more of a Shepherd than, say, a Federici.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 05 Nov 2023 11:37

karbota Great result and for the first time in 20 years Reading are in the hat for the 2nd round of the Fa Cup.

Hopefully Phil Parkinson's Wrexham, yes they won again!

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 05 Nov 2023 13:23

The Cap
Crowbar6753
paultheroyal Flat first half and you could argue MK DONS were the better treat. Whatever that defensive line up was in the first half needs to stop. So open at the back certainly from our defensive left side. Any decent winger would have a field day and be allowed to have so many one on ones running into space.

Subs again made a positive difference second half and far more direct. Missed quite a few opportunities and could easily of been 5. Another good display from Azeez when outside the box, but by god that bloke needs a goal, and sharpish.

Not entirely sure what wing brings to the team either. Not a lot of running, energy and I am sure is part of the problem being so powder puff in the middle.

Anyway, win is a win, some momentum into Tuesday and a real must win game.

Aldershot or Eastleigh away please in the next round.

Hi Paul, Yes, Aldershite away has to be the prized ticket for me, maybe Poxford away would also be fun especially for us folk with fond memories of these rivalries from the late 70s and 80s :D :D
Had some friends who were Donny Rovers fans, and when ever they played down South at Swindon and Aldershot we would watch in the away end with them, super nice guys.
At the Aldershot game me and my mate were wearing a jacket and Donny rovers scarf with our Reading shirts underneath for shits and giggles!! Anyway, during the second have we had this fun idea to take our jackets off and parade our colours to the aldershite fans, the Donny fans thought this was hilarious and started chanting "We love you Reading we do" all quiet surreal really....well this wasn't our greatest moment and we almost got lynched especially when they were mob handed and waiting for us outside!! Luckily the Donny Rovers supporters ushered us onto their supporters coach and the driver dropped us of at North Camp train station a few miles down the road. :D :D
Good times had by all, great gesture by the Donny fans.

Sounds as though you had a touch there, Crowbar. Came across their so called 'A' crew, when we were playing away to the fake hoops and they had a Cup game in Landen. Anyway, cutting a long story short, some of our lads were in a pub round the corner from Spoons. And then some of their crew turned up. Story for another day.

I remember this

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 05 Nov 2023 13:28

Was MK's second goal offside?

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 05 Nov 2023 13:36

Snowball Was MK's second goal offside?

I thought their 1st might have been as well !

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 05 Nov 2023 13:56

Snowflake Royal
Brogue Wing the new hendrick

Nah, Wing has some pace and ambition.

Not sure about the pace bit.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 05 Nov 2023 13:57

Royals and Racers 4325 (635 away)

Is that a record low for a first team Saturday game at this stadium?

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 05 Nov 2023 14:02

South Coast Royal
Royals and Racers 4325 (635 away)

Is that a record low for a first team Saturday game at this stadium?

By my reckoning, yes. I make the previous low for a Saturday game 5,338 against Welling in our last first round FA Cup match (17 Nov 2001).

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 05 Nov 2023 14:36

Away to Eastleigh in round 2

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 05 Nov 2023 16:12

Royals and Racers Away to Eastleigh in round 2

A good chance of being a TV game with the potential for an upset.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 05 Nov 2023 16:22

What did we learn from yesterday?.

Pereira looks ok

Rushesha managed to settle the argument that has been on here about being ok at right-back; he isn't,-not much of a tackler and looked lost positionally

Carson needs to improve his positional sense and know better when to hold on to the ball and when not to.

Mukairu-brings so little to the team

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Nov 2023 17:06

South Coast Royal
Royals and Racers Away to Eastleigh in round 2

with the potential for an upset.

Nah I think Eastleigh will win.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Nov 2023 20:54

Brogue
rabidbee
Elm Park Kid

Oof, not sure how millsy is going to come back from this one

Bollox. That's how.

Sorry rabidbee I've listened to shit loads of commentary over the decades and Dellor - whom I normally defend - is categorically the worst in this regard. I'm frequently left trying to figure out if a goal has been scored. And on footy you want to know IMMEDIATELY with zero ambiguity. Not a few seconds later trying to decipher his ramblings. I was not at all dead sure the equaliser was in at the moment it went in and that's the one that bothered me. The ball goes in at 30s on the highlights. You hear cheering but that could be anything. At 36-37s he eventually says "the captain is on hand to poke it home" but not only is that a whole six seconds after the goal but being there to poke it home does not necessarily mean you've actually poked it home especially when you're casually rambling in a low key conversational voice like Dellor is. Ballard was technically "on hand to poke it home" recently ago but unbelievably fluffed. As was Savage. I mean I was 80-90% sure by piecing together various bits of logic and probability but that's exactly my complaint - I shouldn't have to flipping well do that. That's not good enough. The commentary goes on to 43s without making it cast iron clear and then highlights go onto the next goal so made it categorically clear at least 15s after the goal. Why? Why not like how he does on other goals does he not just instantly say "GOAL!". If he does it sometimes and not others it's just inconsistent and I'm frequently left guessing ok has a goal been scored or is the cheering because of a miss or offside or something else? Then when I do hear a chance and massive cheering I assume a goal has been scored but no it's just crowd reaction to something else.

Fact is Dellor often commentates like everyone else is watching the game with him.

I appreciate it may have been instantly obvious to you somehow and others may not mind to wait 15s+ and do some logical guessing, but I'd have thought commentary should be instantly unambiguous to all especially when it comes to goals.

fred sharpes nose

by fred sharpes nose » 05 Nov 2023 21:24

percy_freeman Aldershot home or away will do. Glad there are still some on here that remember the rivalry between us and as someone from Yateley who got the train from Sandhurst back in the day, there's some great memories of our meetings.

Blimey - I used to do the long walk from Yateley to Sandhust 1971 - 77 probably

122 posts