373 posts
morganb
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Shrewsbury Town (a)

by morganb » 12 Nov 2023 22:37

Einstein agogo We have a crap Captain , it's obvious

Made it into the EFL League One Team of the Week though hasn't he:

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/november/ ... eague-one/

Goes to prove how pointless these things are if you consider how many defenders featured in the league yesterday and how many conceded under 3 goals yet our Andy makes the team

ILoveMoonPig

by ILoveMoonPig » 13 Nov 2023 06:32

leon
WestYorksRoyal
leon
So they were all too busy worrying about who owned the club whilst all this fcukwittery was going on? Or it is the managers fault for not sorting out the players or the players or Dai?

Or at least that’s possibly what you’re saying as your argument appears to be all over the shop.

Other than a new manager = everythings ok

My argument is that despite off field chaos, despite Selles' selection and subs, we should have won yesterday and the senior players should take responsibility.

Dai and Selles are ensuring we will be near the bottom, but the players can be and should be showing more fight.

Oh right.

So happens if we get a decent manger - for example a Chris Wilder and he gets the team organised,fit, and carrying out his (simple but effective) game plan and we start winning games?

Whose fault would all the shit performances thus far have been?

Because that’s what we needed at the start of the season- a decent manager.

I'd agree with that, but add that any like this would have (and definitely now will) look at us and laugh themselves out the door. The ideal job for Chris Wilder and similar manager would be a Huddersfield, Cardiff, QPR etc.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 13 Nov 2023 07:57

Royals and Racers The only result i had on another cr@p away match was the train was late leaving Shrewsbury and missed the connection at Birmingham NS and had to wait 1 hour for the next train and therefore have claimed compensation (100% of single fare) between Shrewsbury and Reading.
As an aside i don’t know how Cross Country trains get away with the gross overcrowding on their Saturday trains.

Claimed last evening and agreed within an hour- money within 3 days.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 13 Nov 2023 08:36

Hound
URZZZZ 8 goals conceded in the 90th minute in the last 8 games. Quite possibly could have been 9 if Bristol had been awarded their deserved penalty on Tuesday

Team are mentally shot, desperately needs a new direction because it’s not going to happen under Selles

We’re mentally the frailest team I’ve ever seen. The minute something goes against us heads down. Don’t fight to the end, crumble under the slightest bit of pressure. Very rarely come back into a game if we concede first

All these things lie with the manager

I think his tactical weaknesses are a bit overblown at times but the complete inability to get this team to compete in this division mentally is unacceptable and why he won’t turn it round.

Does make me wonder what went off at PV at the start of the season as well. Falling out with experienced players who are good enough to be top end L1 standard

Very small defence of Selles but this “mental fragility” has been evident for years now. Go through every season and it’s the same pattern. Good set of results, one poor result and we collapse

The 2 goal lead we threw away under Clarke at Fulham threw that season. The 2 late goals against Cardiff under Stam. Starting so well under Paunovic and still not making the top 6. Likewise throwing the 2 goal lead against Blackpool in his second season. Winning four in a row under Bowen and then winning something like 1 in 11. Having that “week” under Gomes where Puscas and Ejaria showed a lot of promise before losing something like 6 in a row. The only season in recent years where we haven’t collapsed after a poor result was the playoff season, we had a knack of winning games after we got thumped (Norwich 7-1 as an example).

Waiting for a manager that can build some form of a sustainable basis to build upon and not relying on extreme purple patches. Selles isn’t that I’m afraid

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Nov 2023 08:44

URZZZZ
Hound
URZZZZ 8 goals conceded in the 90th minute in the last 8 games. Quite possibly could have been 9 if Bristol had been awarded their deserved penalty on Tuesday

Team are mentally shot, desperately needs a new direction because it’s not going to happen under Selles

We’re mentally the frailest team I’ve ever seen. The minute something goes against us heads down. Don’t fight to the end, crumble under the slightest bit of pressure. Very rarely come back into a game if we concede first

I think his tactical weaknesses are a bit overblown at times but the complete inability to get this team to compete in this division mentally is unacceptable and why he won’t turn it round.

Does make me wonder what went off at PV at the start of the season as well. Falling out with experienced players who are good enough to be top end L1 standard

Very small defence of Selles but this “mental fragility” has been evident for years now. Go through every season and it’s the same pattern. Good set of results, one poor result and we collapse

The 2 goal lead we threw away under Clarke at Fulham threw that season. The 2 late goals against Cardiff under Stam. Starting so well under Paunovic and still not making the top 6. Likewise throwing the 2 goal lead against Blackpool in his second season. Winning four in a row under Bowen and then winning something like 1 in 11. Having that “week” under Gomes where Puscas and Ejaria showed a lot of promise before losing something like 6 in a row. The only season in recent years where we haven’t collapsed after a poor result was the playoff season, we had a knack of winning games after we got thumped (Norwich 7-1 as an example).

Waiting for a manager that can build some form of a sustainable basis to build upon and not relying on extreme purple patches. Selles isn’t that I’m afraid

Agree about the mentality part, I don't think it was developed by Selles, but it's certainly not being rectified or improved under him either, if anything it's going the other way. Since the days of Pauno really I'd say is where we've always looked fragile. Any team can have a bad result or go through a poor bit of form, but we've seemed very susceptible to this since when Pauno arrived (after the first 8 games anyway) in my opinion.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Nov 2023 08:59

YorkshireRoyal99
URZZZZ
Hound

Agree about the mentality part, I don't think it was developed by Selles, but it's certainly not being rectified or improved under him either, if anything it's going the other way. Since the days of Pauno really I'd say is where we've always looked fragile. Any team can have a bad result or go through a poor bit of form, but we've seemed very susceptible to this since when Pauno arrived (after the first 8 games anyway) in my opinion.

Yes agree but would say there were times under Ince and Bowen when we looked a bit tougher. Obvs Ince also lost the plot at the end but we did manage to get quite a few ‘undeserved’ wins where we basically held on through sheer force of will. And actually that Pauno burst at the start was similar

This team are definitely the weakest of the lot. So soft

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Nov 2023 09:07

The entire club is used to losing at this point.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 13 Nov 2023 10:57

this is why we need a non league reset. So we can rebuild and start winning again!!

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Nov 2023 11:00

leon this is why we need a non league reset. So we can rebuild and start winning again!!

As a phoenix club or...

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 13 Nov 2023 11:13

Hound
YorkshireRoyal99
URZZZZ

Yes agree but would say there were times under Ince and Bowen when we looked a bit tougher. Obvs Ince also lost the plot at the end but we did manage to get quite a few ‘undeserved’ wins where we basically held on through sheer force of will. And actually that Pauno burst at the start was similar

That’s sort of the point though isn’t it? That under every manager we have that brief resurgence of being “tougher to beat” etc etc. But it only ever spans over a few games or so before inevitably collapsing and going on a horrendous run. Even under Gomes/Clement we managed to hold onto games through sheer doggedness.

Would agree that this is the worst of the lot though. Zero confidence we can hold onto a lead. Even under MK leading 3-1 into injury time, we nearly threw that away

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Nov 2023 11:14

URZZZZ
Hound
YorkshireRoyal99

That’s sort of the point though isn’t it? That under every manager we have that brief resurgence of being “tougher to beat” etc etc. But it only ever spans over a few games or so before inevitably collapsing and going on a horrendous run. Even under Gomes/Clement we managed to hold onto games through sheer doggedness.

Would agree that this is the worst of the lot though. Zero confidence we can hold onto a lead. Even under MK leading 3-1 into injury time, we nearly threw that away

Every manager except Selles that is

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 13 Nov 2023 11:15

leon this is why we need a non league reset. So we can rebuild and start winning again!!

Ah, the great reset, how we need that. New grounds, competitive squad, close football matches, attendances to stay the same and perhaps improve.....

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 13 Nov 2023 11:26

I accept that historically we have been mentally weak but if it keeps happening under different managers and different players (how many that started on Saturday played under Ince for example?) how does that work - is it something being pipe through the air conditioning or put in the water?

What can be done to rectify this issue? Guess employing a decent sports psychologist is one answer.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Nov 2023 11:36

morganb I accept that historically we have been mentally weak but if it keeps happening under different managers and different players (how many that started on Saturday played under Ince for example?) how does that work - is it something being pipe through the air conditioning or put in the water?

What can be done to rectify this issue? Guess employing a decent sports psychologist is one answer.

I think I pointed this out elsewhere/previously, Paul Ince made an interesting comment in one of his post-match press conferences last season about it being in the "culture" of the players to sit in and protect a lead.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Nov 2023 11:41

Culture comes from the top. Players and managers have come and gone and all had the same issues. Get Dai out.

Honourable mentions to Bowen and Ince who did seem to get a few gritty results, but they ultimately succumbed to the same issues as all the rest.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 13 Nov 2023 11:48

Snowflake Royal i know i say this every season but *insert league name here* is the reset the club needs

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Nov 2023 11:53

I don't think I'll be taking any lessons from one of the board's fascists.

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 16 Nov 2023 00:12

Uke Sam Hutchinson interview is going to be a corker when it’s released by the sound of things

:popcorn.jif:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0gnf ... are-mobile

it starts at around 32.30.

it is a corker. perhaps slightly damaging but i also appreciate his honesty and passion. he isn't wrong about anything. hope it doesn't upset the other players too much. interesting answer (or lack of) to the manager question.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Nov 2023 08:47

Bigtimmeh
Uke Sam Hutchinson interview is going to be a corker when it’s released by the sound of things

it is a corker. perhaps slightly damaging but i also appreciate his honesty and passion. he isn't wrong about anything. hope it doesn't upset the other players too much. interesting answer (or lack of) to the manager question.

It's an interview with someone who is clearly passionate and frankly doesn't see how anything he says can make things worse than they are - he clearly wanted to say more at time but stopped himself. Confirms what most of us already suspected, the place is toxic at the moment and things will not improve until that changes.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Nov 2023 09:00

Bigtimmeh

Sounds like he wants to punch him when he called it diabolical. Interesting interview though

373 posts