BFTG - Bristol Rovers

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

BFTG - Bristol Rovers

by John Madejski's Wallet » 07 Nov 2023 22:45

Christ I don't want to see Azeez start again this season. Its painful watching all that huffing and puffing and the inevitable losing of the ball

OKish first half. Generally low on quality, but we should have been 2-0 up
Rovers took control in the second half after they realised they should target our right side, where Abbey could use his insane pace to cover.

Pfft

purleyroyal

Re: BFTG - Bristol Rovers

by purleyroyal » 07 Nov 2023 22:53

Just why don’t we start with our best team?

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 07 Nov 2023 22:56

purleyroyal Just why don’t we start with our best team?

Which is ?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 07 Nov 2023 23:02

Royals and Racers
purleyroyal Just why don’t we start with our best team?

Which is ?

Anything other than what Selles thinks is our best team.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 07 Nov 2023 23:21

That was turgid.
We are getting worse.
No Plan A
No Plan B
No idea
The players are a reflection of the manager.
That was up there with one of the worst games I have ever had to sit/stand through
God its grim!
Goodnight

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Nov 2023 23:30

On the plus side. Dorsett did OK at left back. Obviously a more defensive approach from him. Got a bit stretched for pace a few times, but nothing too worrying. Certainly more at home at FB than Bindon.

Still think Bindon and Abbey is just too inexperienced a CB combination. Crying shame McIntyre got injured, would have really liked to see him along side one or the other. And he would have been handy for the LB issues. Selles did a lot of damage burning his bridges with Holmes and ousting McIntyre to the bench.

Good to see Smith get on the score sheet with a good finish. Everything in the final third is just bobbly touch and ricochet after fluff otherwise though.

Still not sure what Savage actually brings. Seems to be another one of these technically capable players who just doesn't have a real role. Then again, he's scored and created a few. Game just seems to pass him, and far too many of our players by though. Knibbs is way too anonymous for a senior player with experience at this level.

Azeez had an absolute howler. But he's still one of our most lively threats. Absolutely nothing comes right for the lad though. Wing still the standout player in the side. Alongside Abbey's promise for the future.

If we can keep most of this squad, they should be able to tear up L2 given how they perform in cups. Assuming we can get a decent owner and manager, as always. And they don't have a poor and unlucky start to a season.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 07 Nov 2023 23:34

Woeful stuff.

Didn’t have a clue what to do out of possession. Didn’t press but then tried to close down too late. BR just passed around us.

In possession absolutely no clue what to do with the ball leading to over complicated play and constantly losing the ball.

Absolutely no movement in the midfield who seemed to be entirely disconnected from the defence both defensively and offensively which is quite a feat.

It’s an utter shambles. The manager is entirely responsible for sending this team out to play like that. He should be nowhere near these players.

yuomi

by yuomi » 07 Nov 2023 23:57

I'm trying to think of any other players who have been afforded as much patience as Azeez when contributing so little and yet still seemingly being among the first names on the teamsheet. What does it say to (and about) Vickers, Elliott and Makiru that they're all lower in the pecking order? The same, to a slightly lesser extent, goes for Knibbs - who has been a major disappointment.

All of these players who so excitedly talking about Selles talking them into signing with his exciting project, i'd be fascinated to know what he said. "Come and play directionless hoofball with a few sideways passes and hope the opposition make a mistake we can capitalise on."'?

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 08 Nov 2023 00:21

Knibbs has got away with criticism but honestly what does he offer? He couldn't finish inside of his missus let alone any of his goalscoring chances. He doesn't score or assist anywhere near enough for the advanced position he has. Knibbs should be dropped for Mukairu.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Nov 2023 01:04

Once again, very flat and lifeless performance

Just like under Ince, Gomes, Paunovic and co, we have a defence that can’t keep a clean sheet, a blunt attack and very average midfielders with no real identity who offer little. It’s not a recipe for success.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Nov 2023 06:57

Can't really add much more but the most disappointing thing is in the first half we employed a half press which saw us turn over the ball 5 or 6 times in their third. It lead to the goal and the chance Knibbs should have taken for 2-0.

Then, for some reason, in the 2nd half, it just stopped & the team did as a result. It was almost if they accepted that Bristol would score and a draw was the best we could get.

Honestly no point in Selles now. He has abandoned his principles and made the team even worse as a result. Simply remove him, let Hunt takeover at least until any takeover completes. It can't be worse.

1 point from 9 in 3 consecutive home games & now we go away for the next two. I know we all expect to drop but jeez, a bit of fight would be nice.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Nov 2023 07:22

Stranded Can't really add much more but the most disappointing thing is in the first half we employed a half press which saw us turn over the ball 5 or 6 times in their third. It lead to the goal and the chance Knibbs should have taken for 2-0.

Then, for some reason, in the 2nd half, it just stopped & the team did as a result. It was almost if they accepted that Bristol would score and a draw was the best we could get.

Honestly no point in Selles now. He has abandoned his principles and made the team even worse as a result. Simply remove him, let Hunt takeover at least until any takeover completes. It can't be worse.

1 point from 9 in 3 consecutive home games & now we go away for the next two. I know we all expect to drop but jeez, a bit of fight would be nice.

But that needs a bit of organisation and flexibility from the management team as a game unfolds. Most of all it needs a plan and they are currently rarer in RG2 than a member of a Dai Yongge fan club.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 08 Nov 2023 07:45

After that debacle I don’t know what to think anymore. I wanted a squad full of young hungry players with a few experienced ones to help them and that’s what we got. However, I am starting to think that the youngsters are not ready for this level. Alternatively, it could be that Selles has filled their heads with rubbish and they have no idea about what they’re doing.

All the other teams we have played have looked fitter and much better with the ball than us. The way Selles has wanted us to play has only really worked in the cups, which really just means that we have better youngsters.

Could a Wilder or a Warnock get more from these players or do we have to accept that the squad is League Two/National League standard? I watched Chesterfield play on Sunday and I hate to say it but they’re much better than us.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Nov 2023 07:51

Sutekh
Stranded Can't really add much more but the most disappointing thing is in the first half we employed a half press which saw us turn over the ball 5 or 6 times in their third. It lead to the goal and the chance Knibbs should have taken for 2-0.

But that needs a bit of organisation and flexibility from the management team as a game unfolds. Most of all it needs a plan and they are currently rarer in RG2 than a member of a Dai Yongge fan club.

Yep, which it is why someone needs to stand up, say appointing Selles was a mistake and rectify it. Not sure what is severance would be like but surely he could be put on gardening leave if needed and just let Hunt take control of team affairs at least until any takeover completes.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 Nov 2023 07:53

blythspartan After that debacle I don’t know what to think anymore. I wanted a squad full of young hungry players with a few experienced ones to help them and that’s what we got. However, I am starting to think that the youngsters are not ready for this level. Alternatively, it could be that Selles has filled their heads with rubbish and they have no idea about what they’re doing.

All the other teams we have played have looked fitter and much better with the ball than us. The way Selles has wanted us to play has only really worked in the cups, which really just means that we have better youngsters.

Could a Wilder or a Warnock get more from these players or do we have to accept that the squad is League Two/National League standard? I watched Chesterfield play on Sunday and I hate to say it but they’re much better than us.

The squad is good enough. It's the manager.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Nov 2023 07:58

WestYorksRoyal
blythspartan After that debacle I don’t know what to think anymore. I wanted a squad full of young hungry players with a few experienced ones to help them and that’s what we got. However, I am starting to think that the youngsters are not ready for this level. Alternatively, it could be that Selles has filled their heads with rubbish and they have no idea about what they’re doing.

Pretty sure we've been saying that about squads for most of the last few seasons. Usually turns out the squad also wasn't good enough.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 Nov 2023 08:07

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal

Pretty sure we've been saying that about squads for most of the last few seasons. Usually turns out the squad also wasn't good enough.

Last year we all knew they weren't good enough. Before then, yes squads containing Swift, Laurent, Meite and Joao were good enough.

A revolving door of inadequate managers, confidence sapping form and a toxic club drags them down.

Takeover and new manager and these guys have a chance.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Nov 2023 08:10

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal

We won’t really know because we haven’t had a competent manager since Bowen for about 3 months.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Nov 2023 08:31

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal

To be honest, I was saying at the start of the season it was important we got off to a good start and didn't go on a prolonged poor run because the lack of experience and age of much of the squad would see heads drop and they'd struggle to recover.

And that's exactly what we have got.

There's lots of talent in the squad. But the inexperience also means a lot of errors, and a struggle to make the best decisions.

Give them a new voice, an injection of confidence and enthusiasm plus an effective way of playing and they are more than good enough to finish safe. But the longer this goes on the less likely a recovery is, even with a genius at the helm.

Dean was a poor signing because he's just another waining CB used to losing.

Losing Smith before the season started has destroyed us. Those early narrow margin games mostly turned to defeats because we didn't have an experienced goalscorer. A couple of better results early on and things are very different.

I think losing McIntyre was also huge. He's one of the few experienced players we have who is full blood committed and positive.

At the moment the team are going through the motions, still trying, but there's no confidence or belief.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 08 Nov 2023 08:36

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal

Agree - I think it's both rather than one or the other.

Just got to hope an eventual change in manager will change fortunes for ourselves.

I didn't get chance to catch up much with the game last night, although the general feedback seems to be that the game was pretty drab in general and a draw was probably the correct outcome? Any player particularly standout or not.