Bowen speaks

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Bowen speaks

by RG30 » 09 Nov 2023 16:31

For context, Josh Bowen is Head of Sports Science & Elite Performance and Jackson Bowen is working with Brian Carey in the scouting department

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 09 Nov 2023 16:38

Mr Angry Lastly, there was the comment about the protests; one hopes those that organise the tennis balls take heed.........
I think we're now left with people who just want to throw tennis balls onto the pitch for fun because they enjoy causing chaos. This is backed up by the fact there were no banners or chanting from that stand.

I also think the protest march before the Pompey game got more coverage than the tennis balls, so that would be the way to go for future protests.

If they continue I guess we may be forced to play games behind closed doors or have a game abandoned and maybe face points deductions, Which is a shame because it sounds like the campaign is close to achieving it's aims.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 09 Nov 2023 16:53

Interesting no mention of the manager whatsoever.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 09 Nov 2023 16:56

Thought it was a fair and excellent statement - the most Bowen can say under the circumstances.

He also seems to be implying its not Seles's fault. To be fair we just don't know how awful its been behind the scenes. We just have to hope that Bowen et al know what they are doing and there is still time to stave off relegation. Although if we do get another points deduction for not paying HMRC - which would be incredibly harsh on the club IMO as they know the club is up for sale - relegation becomes a near certainty and for the rest of this season it will be a case of tying down the promising young players and getting them more experience prior to next season in League 2.

I am confident that with a new owner who can afford the bills and sensible recruitment and retaining good young players, we can come straight up from League 2 at the first attempt. But it will be a tad sad to see RFC back in tier 4 after so many years when we were challenging to get to the PL.
Last edited by andrew1957 on 09 Nov 2023 16:57, edited 1 time in total.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Nov 2023 16:57

CountryRoyal Interesting no mention of the manager whatsoever.

He can't publicly call him out, but the lack of backing says volumes. Selles will be gone within 24 hours of a takeover being announced.

I know Bowen has been part of 2 disastrous seasons, but I feel like he has done his best and I'm glad he's here. Looking back at the summer, it was a string of links with reputable managers, then silence and chaos behind the scenes then Selles from left field. I don't think the appointment is on Bowen.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 09 Nov 2023 17:00

WestYorksRoyal

He can't publicly call him out, but the lack of backing says volumes. Selles will be gone within 24 hours of a takeover being announced.

Yep.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Nov 2023 17:01

CountryRoyal
WestYorksRoyal

Yep.

Yep my expectation as well

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 09 Nov 2023 17:07

When I read this part copied below I thought he was obliquely saying the performances are understandable. It must be very hard to any manager to motivate young players when there is a constant threat of points deductions hanging over the club. It was noticeable that in both the last two seasons as soon as we had points deductions in the offing our form plummeted. Perhaps it is human nature to underperform in these circumstances.

"But I urge everyone to remember the context behind our league placing and the consistency in our performance levels and understand that we have had to endure points deductions and the threat of more",

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 09 Nov 2023 17:21

RG30 For context, Josh Bowen is Head of Sports Science & Elite Performance and Jackson Bowen is working with Brian Carey in the scouting department

Ah, I thought they were selling Golden Gamble tickets :lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Nov 2023 17:34

Bowen (and his media team) write very clearly, effectively and sincerely.

It's an excellent updste given the restrictions on what he could reasonably say. Though there's little actual new information beyond confirming a lot of the rumours around good interest in buying the club.

I agree with Hound that they're laying it on a bit thick about the lack of experience. It has been true and to an extent it still is, but as Houndy says, that's more choice than enforced at this point.

I certainly, and I hope the rest of the fanbase fully support the players and behind the scenes staff. My anger is primarily directed at Dai, with Selles as secondary.

I like that he doesn't offer any criticism of the protests and instead asks that they're organised, constructive and don't target / affect the players.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Nov 2023 19:18

On the inexperience - I do occasionally wonder if that millwall 4-0 was actually really unhelpful, almost to the extent of a bad thing to happen

Obvs a great evening at the time but wonder if it made it too easy to decide they would be good enough to do well in the league, and too easy to discard the experience

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 09 Nov 2023 19:21

Twatter (X); "he said alot but not much", what the fuck are these kids on?
Probably one of the best in depth statements we`ve had in recent years.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Nov 2023 19:52

windermereROYAL Twatter (X); "he said alot but not much", what the fuck are these kids on?

They're morons. But a few others picking up that Bowen doesn't seem so afraid of speaking the truth in this statement. E.g., paying wages and HMRC nothing to celebrate, struggles on the pitch can be traced back to off pitch issues. Perhaps he's not afraid of upsetting Dai and Pang any more? Because he expects they'll be gone soon?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 09 Nov 2023 20:08

Mark Bowen
THE SALE OF THE CLUB... I am very positive that this process is now nearing a much-needed conclusion.

This is all that matters.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Nov 2023 20:20

windermereROYAL Twatter (X); "he said alot but not much", what the fuck are these kids on?

Problem is he is limited to what he can say. I’m not sure what people are expecting - ‘X person is about to buy the club and yes Selles is useless so I plan to sack him soon as I can’?

He’s said as much as he can there really, and it’s a welcome statement

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Nov 2023 20:44

Hound On the inexperience - I do occasionally wonder if that millwall 4-0 was actually really unhelpful, almost to the extent of a bad thing to happen

Obvs a great evening at the time but wonder if it made it too easy to decide they would be good enough to do well in the league, and too easy to discard the experience

Yeah, I think there's something in that.

Much as I want to see Carson develop and there's potentially a hell of a player there, he was nowhere near ready and he's started half our league games when that could have been NGW or McIntyre.

Selles keeps playing Bindon and Abbey together and there's just too little experience there. I know Dean has had a fair few games, but I'd rather have seen the ostracised Holmes or McIntyre when fit and not at LB.

Whilst Carroll clearly screwed up, I think bombing him out has proved a pretty disastrous decision.

On the other hand I feel a little like Savage has had a few too many chances compared to Craig and to a lesser extent Rushesha. Although he does create a few goals.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 09 Nov 2023 21:01

Interesting that the statement has been made by the Head of Football Operations rather than the CEO. Wonder if this was sanctioned by Dai. Or is now happy for others to do the PR work. Having lost any interest in the club other than exiting with a suitable payoff from the new owner(s). At least there remains a desire from those working within the club to battle on and not simply walk away. Which would be all too easy given the tremendous strain they must be under. Another 3 transfer windows seems an eternity. Fans are going to have to remain realistic in their expectations for a lot longer yet. Good to hear that Nigel Howe is in the background. No doubt Sir John is likewise in the shadows doing whatever he can to assist. Nothing better than having people who know what the club means to the community.

Going to be a few more chapters written yet before this sorry saga is over.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 09 Nov 2023 21:06

Snowflake Royal
Whilst Carroll clearly screwed up, I think bombing him out has proved a pretty disastrous decision.

In the longer term. Was the right decision. When the going gets tough. You need people with the right mentality and attitude on board. Dissenters and those behaving negatively are best let go. Egos can consume too much valuable management time.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 09 Nov 2023 21:29

WestYorksRoyal

They're morons. But a few others picking up that Bowen doesn't seem so afraid of speaking the truth in this statement. E.g., paying wages and HMRC nothing to celebrate, struggles on the pitch can be traced back to off pitch issues. Perhaps he's not afraid of upsetting Dai and Pang any more? Because he expects they'll be gone soon?

Fair few of them on here too.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 09 Nov 2023 22:05

Snowflake Royal Bowen (and his media team) write very clearly, effectively and sincerely.

I agree with Hound that they're laying it on a bit thick about the lack of experience. It has been true and to an extent it still is, but as Houndy says, that's more choice than enforced at this point..

Aside from the very beginning of the season when he rewarded the players who were performing in the cups at the expense of a couple of players who had been losing regularly for the best part of two years (if not longer) then I’m not sure what experienced players have been regularly left out when fit and available aside from perhaps Tom Holmes. Even then I think among the mitigating circumstances Bowen refers to in defending Selles is that perhaps Holmes and NGW along with Carroll were earmarked to leave . There were certainly plenty of rumours to that effect.

But in reality if Yiadom is fit and available he’s played . Likewise Hutchinson. Knibbs has started most games and Wing once he returned to fitness has done the same. Dean played pretty every game during the woeful run of defeats. Even Sam Smith was chucked into the fray straight back from injury.

So I don’t think it’s youth over experience which is the overriding choice. The issue for me is the baffling inconsistencies of selection that is the major issue and Selles is complicating his own job more than anything else at the moment.