Bowen speaks

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Bowen speaks

by South Coast Royal » 10 Nov 2023 11:19

YorkshireRoyal99
Millsy Trouble is won't any deal have a six week wait for EFL approval anyway? So even if they pencil on the dotted line today it won't be until new year at the earliest that we have a new owner.

And they're not going to sign today.

We're going down aren't we.

The longer it goes on, the more likely it is.

I still believe that once a takeover is done, we will see a massive improvement on the field. We will probably change manager but even then, I think it will just breed a more positive atmosphere around the club.

We aren't actually *that* far behind. Obviously as it is now, we continue to not win games and the gap will obviously increase but should said takeover happen, if we can get a bit of momentum and claim a couple of wins suddenly we will be within touching distance again.

It's just a team (and a club to be honest) that needs a massive confidence boost and a more positive atmosphere would support that I think. Whilst some of the players I don't think are all that good, most of them aren't this bad either.

I do like what you have said because it is typical of most fans to see the positives and readily forget the negatives and .like you, I would very much like momentum to arrive now.

So, looking at your "We aren't actually that far behind"- yes we are.

There is nothing in recent performances to suggest that we suddenly find form and start beating mid-table teams.
On form we lose to Shrewsbury, then to Wycombe (solely because they are away games)and scrape a draw at home to Carlisle taking us up to a lofty 8 points by the start of December.

In December we play Barnsley and Oxford, two of the better sides in this division so let's add 2 more points bringing us up to 10 (without further deductions).
By then I would suggest that 5th from bottom has become around 22 points or so meaning that our form will have to become promotion level or at least mid-table level for the rest of the season just to survive.

We all know that a good result or two can change things dramatically but it looks as though we will have to do that with the squad that has managed so far to drag us to the bottom of the table.

In life I am quite an optimistic person but as far as our team is concerned I never am so please dismiss my Doomsday scenario and believe that suddenly these players will out perform because the club may have a new owner next year.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Nov 2023 11:32

The thing at the moment is whilst there is absolutely no reason to believe they will, if this side can get say 9-12 points in the next 6 games, the landscape will look very different.

Finding an away win from somewhere soon could change everything - it won't - be it could and as a fan that is what you tend to hang on to.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 10 Nov 2023 11:38

Snowflake Royal
Forbury Lion
Snowflake Royal Yeah, I don't see quality loanees coming to bottom of the league for free.
I wonder if they might come for free when we get new owners after a random company such as, I don't know - maybe Sports Direct agrees a sponsorship deal with them which covers the hole in their finances they have from not charging a fee.

Yeah Forbes, we've only got ourselves under transfer restrictions for about 7 years and got 16 points deducted for being stupid cheats, lets cheat some more.

Ffs. :roll:
Maybe get the EFL to clear it first - State that your company want to sponsor another team and that the team may also look to loan player(s) from the same team, If the EFL clear it then it's all good.

Similarly, what happens if a company owned by the owner sponsors Reading FC, would that be seen as a way to get extra money from the owner into the club by paying over the market rate for sponsorship? We had Auto Trader sponsoring us when Sir John owned them which could have been a tax efficient way to put money into the team.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Nov 2023 11:47

South Coast Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Millsy Trouble is won't any deal have a six week wait for EFL approval anyway? So even if they pencil on the dotted line today it won't be until new year at the earliest that we have a new owner.

I still believe that once a takeover is done, we will see a massive improvement on the field. We will probably change manager but even then, I think it will just breed a more positive atmosphere around the club.

We aren't actually *that* far behind. Obviously as it is now, we continue to not win games and the gap will obviously increase but should said takeover happen, if we can get a bit of momentum and claim a couple of wins suddenly we will be within touching distance again.

It's just a team (and a club to be honest) that needs a massive confidence boost and a more positive atmosphere would support that I think. Whilst some of the players I don't think are all that good, most of them aren't this bad either.

I do like what you have said because it is typical of most fans to see the positives and readily forget the negatives and .like you, I would very much like momentum to arrive now.

There is nothing in recent performances to suggest that we suddenly find form and start beating mid-table teams.
On form we lose to Shrewsbury, then to Wycombe (solely because they are away games)and scrape a draw at home to Carlisle taking us up to a lofty 8 points by the start of December.

In December we play Barnsley and Oxford, two of the better sides in this division so let's add 2 more points bringing us up to 10 (without further deductions).
By then I would suggest that 5th from bottom has become around 22 points or so meaning that our form will have to become promotion level or at least mid-table level for the rest of the season just to survive.

We all know that a good result or two can change things dramatically but it looks as though we will have to do that with the squad that has managed so far to drag us to the bottom of the table.

In life I am quite an optimistic person but as far as our team is concerned I never am so please dismiss my Doomsday scenario and believe that suddenly these players will out perform because the club may have a new owner next year.

Based on recent form we also wouldn't have got a point against Bristol Rovers either. If everything was based on recent form, then Exeter will go down without winning another game, as will we etc.

I agree, nothing at the moment suggests that will change and yes, by the time a new owner comes in we could be well adrift and done for, especially if we get hit with another points deduction of sorts.

However, teams at the bottom will also continue to lose games, just like we will whilst the club remains as it is. If we can get the new owners in promptly and we are not 10+ points behind, it's still doable. Things like an ownership change, changing the whole mood of the club, is something that can trigger an improvement in results, Newcastle the prime example.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 10 Nov 2023 11:53

YorkshireRoyal99
South Coast Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Based on recent form we also wouldn't have got a point against Bristol Rovers either. If everything was based on recent form, then Exeter will go down without winning another game, as will we etc.

I agree, nothing at the moment suggests that will change and yes, by the time a new owner comes in we could be well adrift and done for, especially if we get hit with another points deduction of sorts.

However, teams at the bottom will also continue to lose games, just like we will whilst the club remains as it is. If we can get the new owners in promptly and we are not 10+ points behind, it's still doable. Things like an ownership change, changing the whole mood of the club, is something that can trigger an improvement in results, Newcastle the prime example.

I very much agree and hope that it happens.
Newcastle however IMHO is not a good example as Eddie Howe had a relative fortune to spend compared with the previous management.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 10 Nov 2023 11:58

Forbury Lion
Snowflake Royal
Forbury Lion I wonder if they might come for free when we get new owners after a random company such as, I don't know - maybe Sports Direct agrees a sponsorship deal with them which covers the hole in their finances they have from not charging a fee.

Yeah Forbes, we've only got ourselves under transfer restrictions for about 7 years and got 16 points deducted for being stupid cheats, lets cheat some more.

Maybe get the EFL to clear it first - State that your company want to sponsor another team and that the team may also look to loan player(s) from the same team, If the EFL clear it then it's all good.

Similarly, what happens if a company owned by the owner sponsors Reading FC, would that be seen as a way to get extra money from the owner into the club by paying over the market rate for sponsorship? We had Auto Trader sponsoring us when Sir John owned them which could have been a tax efficient way to put money into the team.

Isn’t that exactly the main allegation against Man City ?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 10 Nov 2023 12:09

Franchise FC
Forbury Lion
Snowflake Royal Yeah Forbes, we've only got ourselves under transfer restrictions for about 7 years and got 16 points deducted for being stupid cheats, lets cheat some more.

Isn’t that exactly the main allegation against Man City ?
Yep, must be a way then of doing it legally, Maybe the EFL have to agree it's a fair and reasonable sponsorship deal?

If it was a fair deal at market rate it should be okay, it would also be cheaper because the sponsoring company would pay less tax due to lower profits and the owner would not be taxed on payments from that company. However, would be better to get a 3rd party sponsor I guess.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 10 Nov 2023 12:14

YorkshireRoyal99
South Coast Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

yeah you've been banging this particular drum for ages. Our situation is only getting worse. There will be a tipping point. I think we are close if not already reached it.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Nov 2023 12:28

leon
YorkshireRoyal99
South Coast Royal

yeah you've been banging this particular drum for ages. Our situation is only getting worse. There will be a tipping point. I think we are close if not already reached it.

Yep again I don't disagree and all based on the ownership changing hands in a reasonable timeframe without us being cut adrift too much. We may have already reached it, who knows, but if it the situation improves, I'd anticipate results will.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Nov 2023 12:39

YorkshireRoyal99

I always reassure myself, when looking at how far behind we are, by how many points we've regularly allowed other clubs to make up on us over the final third of the season.

For example, on 1 February 2023 we were 11 points clear of Huddersfield.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Nov 2023 12:44

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

I always reassure myself, when looking at how far behind we are, by how many points we've regularly allowed other clubs to make up on us over the final third of the season.

For example, on 1 February 2023 we were 11 points clear of Huddersfield.

Yep, but to say we effectively didn't win a game from that point onwards (2 wins cancelled out by 6 points deducted) from 18 games, it doesn't come as a massive shock that we failed to survive.

Ironically, speaking of Huddersfield, they are another club you could argue the ownership change was a huge factor in their fate last season.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 10 Nov 2023 13:54

Snowflake Royal Bowen (and his media team) write very clearly, effectively and sincerely.

It's an excellent updste given the restrictions on what he could reasonably say. Though there's little actual new information beyond confirming a lot of the rumours around good interest in buying the club.

I agree with Hound that they're laying it on a bit thick about the lack of experience. It has been true and to an extent it still is, but as Houndy says, that's more choice than enforced at this point.

I certainly, and I hope the rest of the fanbase fully support the players and behind the scenes staff. My anger is primarily directed at Dai, with Selles as secondary.

I like that he doesn't offer any criticism of the protests and instead asks that they're organised, constructive and don't target / affect the players.

Who else is there with this experience?

Tmac and Hutch have been out, as always, Yiadom either injured or suspended, as often, and Ejaria is Ejaria.

Holmes, yes, and I'd have him in the squad over Dean, and he should have been RB when we had the issue recently but there's no one else

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Nov 2023 14:04

Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal Bowen (and his media team) write very clearly, effectively and sincerely.

It's an excellent updste given the restrictions on what he could reasonably say. Though there's little actual new information beyond confirming a lot of the rumours around good interest in buying the club.

I agree with Hound that they're laying it on a bit thick about the lack of experience. It has been true and to an extent it still is, but as Houndy says, that's more choice than enforced at this point.

I certainly, and I hope the rest of the fanbase fully support the players and behind the scenes staff. My anger is primarily directed at Dai, with Selles as secondary.

I like that he doesn't offer any criticism of the protests and instead asks that they're organised, constructive and don't target / affect the players.

Who else is there with this experience?

Tmac and Hutch have been out, as always, Yiadom either injured or suspended, as often, and Ejaria is Ejaria.

Holmes, yes, and I'd have him in the squad over Dean, and he should have been RB when we had the issue recently but there's no one else

Dorsett is actually fairly experienced now and not picked

Guess

Button, yiadom, NGW, Holmes, TMc, Dorsett, Dean, Hutch, Wing, smith, Knibbs, Mukairo, Ejaria, Perreira are fairly to very experienced

Savage, Azeez, Kelv, Mbengue have some experience and at least 1 year of being round a first team

Eliot, Vickers, Craig, Rushesha, Binden, Abbey, Camara, CBC, Ballard you’d class as having very little to no previous first team experience

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 10 Nov 2023 14:11

Forbury Lion
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Only thing I'd say there is our situation might make it difficult to attract quality loanees, but not impossible. The current group should have enough about it though at the moment, possibly a little more quality in wide areas and maybe the middle of the park wouldn't go amiss.

Yeah, I don't see quality loanees coming to bottom of the league for free.
I wonder if they might come for free when we get new owners after a random company such as, I don't know - maybe Sports Direct agrees a sponsorship deal with them which covers the hole in their finances they have from not charging a fee.

Creative solution that. I hope you're reading this Mike Ashley.

We have one of the nicest stadiums and the best training facility in the league so when we can sort out the liquidity problems we should be a great pull for loanees with a point to prove.

Royal & Ancient
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal & Ancient » 10 Nov 2023 14:32

Interesting article in the Mail on line about Dai yesterday.
Whilst running R.F.C. ‘Into the ground’ he has added a 9 bathroomed pad with pool close to Buckingham Palace to his billionaire portfolio.
If accurate there seems to be no shortage of readies.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 10 Nov 2023 14:39

Royal & Ancient Interesting article in the Mail on line about Dai yesterday.
Whilst running R.F.C. ‘Into the ground’ he has added a 9 bathroomed pad with pool close to Buckingham Palace to his billionaire portfolio.

Supposedly cost around £100 million.

Presumably the money had to be brought into the country to buy it and yet the relative pittance to keep our club functioning appears beyond him.
A non-status mortgage on that property would raise quite a bit-no, he has totally lost interest in his play thing.

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 10 Nov 2023 17:04

Orion1871
RG30 it shouldn't be forgotten 2 of his kids have landed interesting jobs at the club as well. Nepotism at it's finest.

Given our injury problems over the last few seasons, I think the job one of his kids does as head of sports science is extremely interesting.

And it *feels* like we've had less injuries this season than we have for a while

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Nov 2023 17:08

MartinRdg
Orion1871
RG30 it shouldn't be forgotten 2 of his kids have landed interesting jobs at the club as well. Nepotism at it's finest.

Given our injury problems over the last few seasons, I think the job one of his kids does as head of sports science is extremely interesting.

And it *feels* like we've had less injuries this season than we have for a while

Only McIntyre actually injured atm isn’t it? John Clarke maybe but that’s an old one

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Nov 2023 18:11

Royal & Ancient Interesting article in the Mail on line about Dai yesterday.

Only fairly typically of the Mail it was slightly economical with the truth. The headlines made it look like he'd very recently bought the place. However, it then became apparent, as you read further, that he's owned it for some time. Exactly how long for was not specified but I would suggest he bought it before he started experiencing problems getting his hands on some of his cash.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 10 Nov 2023 18:39

Or, if the latest speculation is correct, he doesn't actually own it but rents it from a property company of which Pang is a director.

Anyway, who cares, it's all a distraction from the central issue.....