Bowen speaks

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

Bowen speaks

by morganb » 09 Nov 2023 13:23

Thought this might be worth a new post as it covers a multitude of topics -

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2023/n ... b-matters/

MARK BOWEN | HEAD OF FOOTBALL OPERATIONS OFFERS AN UPDATE ON CLUB MATTERS

THE LATEST ON OUR CLUB’S FINANCES, THE OWNERSHIP SITUATION, FAN PROTESTS AND THE FOOTBALL…

Right now, everything is unbelievably difficult. Daily operations at the club continue to be hamstrung by cashflow problems, the search for new owners is encouraging but naturally time-consuming – and of course we are in a poor run of results which is frustrating everyone…myself, the manager, his coaching staff, the players and our supporters.

Even communicating clearly and cohesively with fans has been unavoidably challenging; all the information supporters are craving simply isn’t complete or obvious, much of it is either bound by non-disclosure agreements or has to remain confidential as part of the ongoing process. We have tried to keep fans as informed as possible and, while it might not provide the clarity everyone is desperate for, I felt it was important to tell you, our loyal fans, as much as I am able. I apologise in advance if I simply can’t provide answers to all the questions you have!

THE FINANCES
Last week, sufficient funds arrived from China to satisfy this month’s wage bill which was paid in full to all players and staff on time – as they have been since an administrative banking issue outside of the club’s control caused a minor delay in wage payment to a very small number of employees at the end of April. This week, owner Mr Dai also provided the funds to clear the outstanding debts owed to HMRC, resulting in the withdrawal of the winding up petition and again clearing our embargo status with the EFL. However, I know these are not achievements to boast about and financial funding remains an ongoing concern and complication across the club. Staff in every department deserve huge praise for going above and beyond expectations in helping the club jump every hurdle that presents itself…so I’d like to personally thank everyone who represents Reading Football Club with admirable fortitude.

THE OWNERSHIP
As we have made clear in recent club statements, Mr Dai has been seeking external investment to alleviate some of these issues for some time – and he is actively seeking to sell the club to new owners. The process of unearthing credible buyers and then engaging with those parties by supplying them with detailed levels of information to openly inform potential bids remains ongoing. With the help of senior management at the club and the vast experience of former CEO Nigel Howe, the process has gained focus and picked up even more momentum in recent weeks.

THE SALE OF THE CLUB
We are in constant discussion, negotiation and engagement with an encouraging number of individuals who we believe are all capable of making viable takeover bids. The nature of these negotiations, the structure of these potential bids and the identity of these individuals plainly has to remain private for legal reasons and for the benefit of the successful sale of the club. It is also very difficult to speculate on the timescales involved, but I am very positive that this process is now nearing a much-needed conclusion.

OUR PUNISHMENTS
So with the payment of the outstanding HMRC debts, we are currently not under embargo – so we are again able to sign players and offer new deals to existing squad members. However, we do remain under restrictions which will continue to limit us in our transfer activity – for the next three transfer windows we will not be able to pay any kind of transfer fee, loan fee or compensation fee. These restrictions will seriously impact recruitment…but we are used to it. The club have been working within similar limitations for more than four years now. In terms of points deductions, we currently have no suspended points penalties hanging over us – however, we have been referred to a disciplinary commission regarding the late payments to HMRC which cumulatively exceeded a 30-day threshold. With a hearing set for later this month, we are actively working with our legal representatives to prepare the club’s case. No precedent has been set for these rule breaches, so I can’t responsibly tell supporters what to expect from the outcome of that hearing.

THE FOOTBALL
Everyone will be aware of our current league position. Everyone will be concerned by our recent run of results. Rightly so. I am no different. But I urge everyone to remember the context behind our league placing and the consistency in our performance levels and understand that we have had to endure points deductions and the threat of more, we have had to operate with our hands tied firmly behind our backs in a very small shop window in the transfer market – and as a result we have built a very young, but very talented squad. In nearly all of our fixtures this season, the majority of the starting eleven are playing in their first professional season as a regular first team starter. Within the narrow recruitment goalposts we were given, the aim was to put together a squad who would evolve together, a young group of players who could excite our fans and would form a healthy core at the heart of our club. This process does take time and patience, though. There are 23 other clubs in this division who are further down the line with their own respective plans and not one of them forced to deal with the issues we have had to negotiate and continue to grapple with. At times, we have played some excellent football which has been good to watch – but almost inevitably form has been inconsistent and we are all very aware we need more points on the board, due reward for our efforts. This young, promising group of players will I am sure develop quickly as a unit, but let’s not forget that they are on the steepest of learning curves…all due to the situation we as a club find ourselves in. And I know they have your total backing and understanding.

LAST, BUT NOT LEAST…YOU, OUR FANS
There is no doubting your love for this club. Emotions are understandably running high and those emotions are being expressed, passionately and pointedly. At times like these, to feel that passion is vitally important to everyone at the club and we cannot and would never want to quell that passion. I understand the protests and I can only empathise with our fanbase. We can, however, ask that your voice is heard as a collective and that any protests are well-thought out, delivered in constructive ways which make the right impact and which consider the effect they make have on the players, the staff and the club as a whole. Ultimately, we desperately want to avoid those who care most about this club being punished any further. And my overriding message to fans has to be a heartfelt thank you for the support and a plea to stick with us through these testing times.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Bowen speaks

by Sutekh » 09 Nov 2023 13:32

All credit to Mark for something at last though a shame it's taken so long. Like many I hate that they can't really tell anyone too much because of all the legal and privacy restrictions but at least he's taken the time to communicate and spell things out even if much is the obvious.

My favourite line is "but I am very positive that this process is now nearing a much-needed conclusion" and hoping that there will be something concrete to excite us all (for a change) in the next month or so.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 Nov 2023 13:50

Most of it is by-the-by really and what I'd expect to hear and not much of it is new information. Glad to hear that there is a belief that discussions regarding a takeover and somewhere near the next stage and may be something more concrete than just fleeting rumours. I think the part about our results being "inconsistent" is very much underplaying the severity of them however.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Nov 2023 13:52

Well I hope he’s right

It’s clearly difficult to say too much on the ownership and financials

I don’t really buy the inexperienced squad stuff so much - I appreciate the direction we chose to go in but I do feel that excuse has run it’s course. As stated elsewhere we could field a vastly experienced 11 now if we chose to, and u21 players have been picked at their expense. I do accept the ownership stuff has undoubtedly affected club morale and the players though

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 09 Nov 2023 13:54

Anyone who thinks that we'd be better off if Bowen stepped down from his current role and became manager is frankly mad. The sale of the club and relationships with the EFL has to be the priority right now. Would happily trade in 10 more defeats in a row for a new owner and no point deductions.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Nov 2023 13:59

Decent update in the circumstances, lets hope his words about nearing a conclusion have more luck that the statement that we have had our medicine and don't expect any more.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 09 Nov 2023 14:16

A reasonable PR statement and at least it is something.

As Hound says, the excuse over inexperienced players is wearing a bit thin though bearing in mind all the other players that we have at the club.
It's not as if the young players are 15 year olds , they were deemed good enough to play Reserve level football at a Championship club so might reasonably be expected to produce more for a team at the bottom of League1.

The other thing about being inconsistent as if we are winning a league game one week and losing the next-regrettably it isn't as good as that because if we were that "inconsistent" we would be nearer mid table rather than bottom or second from bottom if you ignore the points deduction.
He can't say it but rather than just "inconsistent" we all know that we are playing like a strong relegation prospect with no plan on the pitch and no consistent method of playing.

He also obviously can't say anything about the manager but I cannot see any other club giving the manager any more games when performances and results have been so bad-you get the feeling that they might actually do better with no manager and a consortium of players picking the side.
At least then the team would be selected from the whole squad and not just from those that the manager hasn't fallen out with.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 09 Nov 2023 14:19

Excellent statement from Bowen, but long overdue. Seeds of hope are well and truly there, get that first win on Saturday and we can hope we have reached that low point and turning a corner.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 09 Nov 2023 14:19

Personally, I like Bowen and this statement at least addresses some concerns. It means we’re stuck with Selles until we get new owners, which isn’t so great.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Nov 2023 14:23

He's limited in what he can say. Good statement overall. Only point that matters is that he thinks a takeover is close.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 09 Nov 2023 14:28

WestYorksRoyal He's limited in what he can say. Good statement overall. Only point that matters is that he thinks a takeover is close.

He also thought we'd had the worst of our "medicine" in his last statement. That didn't work out too well.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 09 Nov 2023 14:29

Bowen wouldn't be anywhere near this club if it wasn't for his connections with Mark Hughes/Kia Joorabchian. And it shouldn't be forgotten 2 of his kids have landed interesting jobs at the club as well. Nepotism at it's finest.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 09 Nov 2023 14:33

BowIN. Am I right?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 09 Nov 2023 14:35

RG30 Bowen wouldn't be anywhere near this club if it wasn't for his connections with Mark Hughes/Kia Joorabchian. And it shouldn't be forgotten 2 of his kids have landed interesting jobs at the club as well. Nepotism at it's finest.

Fair play i say - and thank god he is still here.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Nov 2023 14:36

Orion1871
WestYorksRoyal He's limited in what he can say. Good statement overall. Only point that matters is that he thinks a takeover is close.

He also thought we'd had the worst of our "medicine" in his last statement. That didn't work out too well.

It was for the crimes we had committed at that time.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 09 Nov 2023 14:41

That was a much welcome comment from the club, with some very important points made.

The most obvious of which was the "....I am very positive that this process is now nearing a much-needed conclusion."

The other thing that stood out is that it was Dai who provided the funds to pay for the salaries and to pay HMRC; whilst the obvious retort to that is "and so he should" it does at least signal that he is aware of the need to do these acts rather than walk away from the situation. Another pointer towards a deal being close?

The comment was about the players developing as a group is a valid one; there is clearly talent there and - if you get to see any of the U21 and U18 games on YouTube, clearly more coming through from the Academy. This gives me hope for the medium to longer term future, even if we may have to sart the rebuild from League 2 next season.

Lastly, there was the comment about the protests; one hopes those that organise the tennis balls take heed.........

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Nov 2023 14:47

Mr Angry That was a much welcome comment from the club, with some very important points made.

The most obvious of which was the "....I am very positive that this process is now nearing a much-needed conclusion."

The other thing that stood out is that it was Dai who provided the funds to pay for the salaries and to pay HMRC; whilst the obvious retort to that is "and so he should" it does at least signal that he is aware of the need to do these acts rather than walk away from the situation. Another pointer towards a deal being close?

The comment was about the players developing as a group is a valid one; there is clearly talent there and - if you get to see any of the U21 and U18 games on YouTube, clearly more coming through from the Academy. This gives me hope for the medium to longer term future, even if we may have to sart the rebuild from League 2 next season.

Lastly, there was the comment about the protests; one hopes those that organise the tennis balls take heed.........

If we don’t lose them due to Dai, there’s very encouraging signs from the u21 and u18. The u21s are right near the the top of the pl2 which features all the big guns. Eliot, Savage, Binden etc have shown glimpses of great potential

But none of them actually need to play first team currently. Obvs you want a few scattered about on the bench and even the odd one starting but it’s not actually necessary

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 09 Nov 2023 15:09

paultheroyal
RG30 Bowen wouldn't be anywhere near this club if it wasn't for his connections with Mark Hughes/Kia Joorabchian. And it shouldn't be forgotten 2 of his kids have landed interesting jobs at the club as well. Nepotism at it's finest.

Trust you to back him....

Bowen is complicit in all of this, anyone with a brain knows this.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 09 Nov 2023 15:24

Mr Angry That was a much welcome comment from the club, with some very important points made.

Agree with this. Thought it was a very measured response covering a variety of topics and much needed.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 09 Nov 2023 15:30

paultheroyal

Whilst I have no idea what his kids are working on at the club, I'm pretty sure we haven't got many candidates currently queuing around the block to join us.