We will survive this won't we?

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

We will survive this won't we?

by shadesrwrf » 11 Nov 2023 18:55

I came to RFC late in the game.

My excuse? I grew up in Essex and didn't move to Reading until I was 19. As a child I followed Arsenal and it took me a little while to turn. So I've only been supporting RFC since the late 80s and whilst it's not been all uphill I haven't really experienced some of the lows I know some here will have.

So is this just part of the cycle that so many football clubs have experienced or is this somehow different?

Please please please will those who have suffered in the past put my mind at ease and reassure me that whatever happens our beloved team will survive.

Yours in desperation.
Shades

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: We will survive this won't we?

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Nov 2023 19:03

shadesrwrf I came to RFC late in the game.

My excuse? I grew up in Essex and didn't move to Reading until I was 19. As a child I followed Arsenal and it took me a little while to turn. So I've only been supporting RFC since the late 80s and whilst it's not been all uphill I haven't really experienced some of the lows I know some here will have.

So is this just part of the cycle that so many football clubs have experienced or is this somehow different?

Please please please will those who have suffered in the past put my mind at ease and reassure me that whatever happens our beloved team will survive.

Yours in desperation.
Shades

I read an article on the incoming regulator this week that stated the stat that 50 football league clubs have experienced administration since the PL creation in 92. Astounding and outrageous.

But the majority of them have survived and had something to cheer since the nadir. Those that didn't were much smaller than us, such as Halifax, Macclesfield, Bury and Aldershot.

Brace yourself for consecutive relegations. But we will hit the bottom and then experience better times.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 11 Nov 2023 19:07

WestYorksRoyal

Yours in desperation.
Shades

I read an article on the incoming regulator this week that stated the stat that 50 football league clubs have experienced administration since the PL creation in 92. Astounding and outrageous.

But the majority of them have survived and had something to cheer since the nadir. Those that didn't were much smaller than us, such as Halifax, Macclesfield, Bury and Aldershot.

Brace yourself for consecutive relegations. But we will hit the bottom and then experience better times.

Having experience decades of misery and failure at Reading FC in the first part of my life, I now genuinely fear that I will not experience better times again in my lifetime. Thanks a bunch Zingarevich, The Thais, Dai Yongge and, above all, the fools destroying our clubs at EFL.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 11 Nov 2023 19:15

RoyalBlue
WestYorksRoyal

Yours in desperation.
Shades

Having experience decades of misery and failure at Reading FC in the first part of my life, I now genuinely fear that I will not experience better times again in my lifetime. Thanks a bunch Zingarevich, The Thais, Dai Yongge and, above all, the fools destroying our clubs at EFL.

+1

At least in my early days, the failures were down to what happened on the actual pitch. Remember Charlie Hurley sacking seven players after one game.

Football isn’t football anymore

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Nov 2023 19:25

Calm down. Unless you expect to die soon, you will see us with good owners again and probably bad owners again. It's part of the cycle for clubs like us. We currently have the absolute worst, but it won't always be like this. Not saying we'll be PL again, but I am saying a time will come when supporting this club brings enjoyment again.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 11 Nov 2023 19:27

The club will survive. However, I expect the footballing side of things not to recover until they hit League Two.

At least they'll win a few more games down there, right lads?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 11 Nov 2023 19:35

genome The club will survive. However, I expect the footballing side of things not to recover until they hit League Two.

new grounds and all that

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 11 Nov 2023 19:38

genome The club will survive. However, I expect the footballing side of things not to recover until they hit League Two.

Ian will know the answer to that.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 11 Nov 2023 19:41

I actually think it'll be the reset we need.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 11 Nov 2023 21:27

I do expect us to get taken over, and then we should be out of any immediate danger, and it'll be a case of waiting for a rebuild. And hoping.

I do still have a worry though, that liquidation would be more beneficial to Dai than administration, especially with him having folded two clubs before.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 11 Nov 2023 21:39

Pepe the Horseman

I actually think it'll be the reset we need.

Reset #2

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Nov 2023 22:27

tmesis I do expect us to get taken over, and then we should be out of any immediate danger, and it'll be a case of waiting for a rebuild. And hoping.

I do still have a worry though, that liquidation would be more beneficial to Dai than administration, especially with him having folded two clubs before.

I'm curious how losing all players and income to do with the club and being left a worthless stadium and a newly developed training ground that would be sold off at a fraction of its value, is better than getting tens of millions of pounds by selling.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 11 Nov 2023 22:49

Snowflake Royal
tmesis I do expect us to get taken over, and then we should be out of any immediate danger, and it'll be a case of waiting for a rebuild. And hoping.

I'm curious how losing all players and income to do with the club and being left a worthless stadium and a newly developed training ground that would be sold off at a fraction of its value, is better than getting tens of millions of pounds by selling.

So would I be, which is probably why I never suggested it.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Nov 2023 23:43

Think this team would do quite well in league two but have to remember that this team won’t be in league two. If we go down everyone will get sold off.

I believe we will get taken over, Selles will go and any half competent monkey could get us out of this mess. We’re not a million miles off. I have faith but we NEED a new manager which means new owners.

The Faith Healer

by The Faith Healer » 12 Nov 2023 00:14

Having started with this voluntary
and sometimes abusive relationship in 67/68, in then the 3rd tier, I suppose I might feel more sanguine about our current circumstances.
But I don't l. It's just so sad. I'll always be a supporter, but right now it feels harder than its ever done. That's all,really...

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 12 Nov 2023 00:28

Orion1871

Ian will know the answer to that.

Division one is fun.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 12 Nov 2023 05:03

I was on the Maxwell march back in the day. Despite the worry it was never going to happen as both were against it. That season we were relegated on the last day of the season despite beating Wrexham. We are definitely going down not even putting up a fight. After that I really have no idea wide spread redundancy sale the ground and share with Aldershot and become a fan run club like Bury and Exeter.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Nov 2023 09:03

CountryRoyal Think this team would do quite well in league two but have to remember that this team won’t be in league two. If we go down everyone will get sold off.

I believe we will get taken over, Selles will go and any half competent monkey could get us out of this mess. We’re not a million miles off. I have faith but we NEED a new manager which means new owners.

I was in this camp, but 10 points is a lot. 5 straight wins would not necessarily lift us out.

If 52 points is the benchmark, we need 45 from 30. So sack Selles today, takeover progress by the next league game and you're looking at win one lose one for the remainder of the season. And things probably won't move that quickly. If this continues much longer, we'll basically be asking for play-off form for the new regime. Realistic?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Nov 2023 09:09

WestYorksRoyal
CountryRoyal Think this team would do quite well in league two but have to remember that this team won’t be in league two. If we go down everyone will get sold off.

I was in this camp, but 10 points is a lot. 5 straight wins would not necessarily lift us out.

If 52 points is the benchmark, we need 45 from 30. So sack Selles today, takeover progress by the next league game and you're looking at win one lose one for the remainder of the season. And things probably won't move that quickly. If this continues much longer, we'll basically be asking for play-off form for the new regime. Realistic?

Not realistic no.

But if someone could inject some confidence, get midfield actually playing football and organise defence then this team is capable of play off form. Not over a whole season... but we're already a third in.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 12 Nov 2023 09:11

If we have a decent owner I expect promotion back to L1 immediately