The Mental Health Thread

Green
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Mental Health Thread

by Green » 16 Nov 2023 16:04

Brogue
NathStPaul Very wary of anyone who uses a public forum or social media to advertise their mental health issues. If you are that comfortable to speak about it then use professionals for help rather than random mongs.

I think there are a lot of people out there who post publicly about their struggles on social media for likes and attention, it gives those who are genuinely struggling a bad name. Not suggesting the OP is doing that btw, more a broader point. It is those who suffer in silence that need the help the most. Check on your friends if you haven't heard from them in a while, check on your work colleagues if they seem withdrawn.

or take it to mums net where you might get a few 'u ok hun's' out of it

Also - if the worst issue in your life is that your football team are a bit shit then (a) you're probably doing alright and (b) if you're a Reading fan - you'd better bed in.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 16 Nov 2023 16:34

CountryRoyal When I had less to care about, I was more passionate about us. It never leaves though.

Never a truer word and precisely where I am. Whilst it can add a gloss to the week, football is no longer the glue that holds my week together. I just can't get too worked up about our current situation. It will all come out in the wash.

Hope 2024 brings you better days.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Nov 2023 16:43

NathStPaul Very wary of anyone who uses a public forum or social media to advertise their mental health issues. If you are that comfortable to speak about it then use professionals for help rather than random mongs.

I think there are a lot of people out there who post publicly about their struggles on social media for likes and attention, it gives those who are genuinely struggling a bad name. Not suggesting the OP is doing that btw, more a broader point. It is those who suffer in silence that need the help the most. Check on your friends if you haven't heard from them in a while, check on your work colleagues if they seem withdrawn.

Everyone is comfortable sharing to a different extent.

I would never discourage anyone from sharing. Sharing publicly doesn't mean you need professional help, or that you aren’t getting it as well.

As for 'attention seeking'. A little is tolerable, a lot can be ignored and a humungous amount can be addressed.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 16 Nov 2023 17:06

FWIW I've found cutting out BBC Berks coverage, the club website, all podcasts and Twitter, and most away games has helped - just relying on you guys and home, really!

Beating the Arse on Tuesday was a boost - first time I've ever seen that.

3rd April 1957 Reading 2 Arsenal 1 - Southern Professional Floodlit Cup (9,799). Missed it, couldn't get out my pram.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 16 Nov 2023 17:09

Fox Talbot FWIW I've found cutting out BBC Berks coverage, the club website, all podcasts and Twitter, and most away games has helped - just relying on you guys and home, really!

I'm also finding that I'm following the club more obsessively than in the glorious 05/06 and 06/07 seasons. Collective mourning helps, kind of like a funeral :lol:

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 16 Nov 2023 17:25

Sadly very true, and we are blessed with a few Mops and Double Diamonds on this forum.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Nov 2023 18:29

All I try to do is treat it all like a big joke that'll soon be over - well there's nowt you can do so just get what you can out of it all.

That's been quite easy to do given the comedy managerial appointments, less than normal owner, lack of communication, dreadful officiating and lots of comedy moments from the players themselves.

Enjoy the rumours and build up to the change in owner (and hopefully manager) as it'll become quite boring and stable :? after the change is announced and the first few communications from the owners are known.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 16 Nov 2023 18:56

Johnny Hunt's next Talking Royals is taking place 7pm, Wednesday 29 November, if anyone would find talking things out helpful.

https://twitter.com/Huntyroyal/status/1 ... s3Kag&s=19

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 Nov 2023 21:10

CountryRoyal
Millsy Wtf I didn't know this. So sorry to hear this mate. Operable? Curable?

Thanks Millsy.. yeah so I had the surgery a week after my initial MRI then then after a month moved to another hospital where I had radiation for a couple of months, then came home, small break and had chemo until literally today 1.5 hrs left! Initially my oncologist wanted to do until may or so but she advised me to stop. There is next to no data on it as it’s so rare in adults so it’s mostly guessing work, the surgery and the radio should have done most of it. 5 year survival rate is ~70% so not bad at all, but again it a very small sample size.

The physical stuff will be hard to get over (if even possible) but the mental battle will be the biggest for sure.

Well I sincerely mean it and don’t give a flying f**k if I’m not laddish enough for a footy forum of tough nuts, but all the best buddy. Thanks for sharing. Some of us are here for you even if it’s just checking in hoping you’re alright. Hang in there mate.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 16 Nov 2023 23:56

Royal_jimmy
Jackson Corner I just lost my mum to cancer. And that caps what has been a terrible year. I lost my job am waiting for an operation which has left me unable to get out and unable to get to games or even the pub. Ed Sheehan has a new album and is rumoured to be unbreakable. And my beloved Royals are bottom and facing an uncertain future. But I always try to smile through it as life is short. So whatever your situation remember there is always someone worse off than yourself.

Sorry to hear that. You'll pull through!

When football is a way to escape from the stresses and difficulties in your week and the gross incompetence served up from the team and manager it's pushing everyone to the limit.

I go to almost every game and yesterday it was a bit like Charlton, fans arguing and purely toxic. It's like we're blaming each other for the mess on the pitch when it should be vented at Dai

Thank you

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 17 Nov 2023 00:16

When that away win finally comes it's going to feel very bloody sweet

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 22 Nov 2023 17:59

Green
Norfolk Royal I was planning to have one tin of Ghost Ship on Saturday night but after hearing the result I upped the ante and had two.

A nice drop but unusually for me it's an ale that gives me hangovers. Probably because I drink too much of it LOL.

It’s quite strong tbf 4.5.