168 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Arsenal U21s (h)

by Sutekh » 12 Nov 2023 20:45

When : Tuesday November 14, 7pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Unbelievably Reading have got this far in the Bristol Street Motors Trophy without conceding a goal, let alone dropping a point :shock:

Now it's probably the sternest test so far against what will be an exceptionally good academy team to determine who finishes top of the group and therefore gets a home tie in the knockout stages and basically as long as Reading do not lose they will take that top spot.

History tells us Reading have lost every single first team game against the Gunners but as one half of the two teams is a junior side that's hopefully one fact that can be ignored to help the Reading cause.

Sadly the manager is very likely to still be in situ but despite that Reading have done very well in the competition to date, though that could well change in the knockout stages as the remaining teams start to take things more seriously.

For the record the rules governing Academy team selections are essentially:

- Academy teams must start at least six players aged 21 or under as at 30 June 2023
- Those teams can only include two players over the age of 21 who have made 40 or more senior appearances prior to 23/24

Usual rules on the night, a draw at 90 minutes means penalties even though they'd be utterly meaningless.

The competition remains regionalised until the last 8 sides are left. Currently through in the southern section are:

Grp A

Forest Green Rovers
Brighton U21

Grp B

Crawley
Charlton or Sutton

Grp C

Wycombe
Wimbledon

Grp D

Peterborough
Spurs U21 or Colchester

Grp E

Portsmouth
Fulham U21

Grp F

Oxford
MK Dons

Grp G

Reading
Arsenal U21

Grp H

West Ham U21
Bristol Rovers or Newport

Referee

Alan Young

Previously

Nothing

If you're not going to the game then you can follow it on RoyalsTV or BBC Radio Berkshire.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Arsenal U21s (h)

by tmesis » 12 Nov 2023 22:47

Sutekh Usual rules on the night, a draw at 90 minutes means penalties even though they'd be utterly meaningless.

Funnier still is the Swindon v Exeter tie being played, even though both are definitely out.

Imagine the tension if that went to penalties.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 13 Nov 2023 11:22

This will probably be the lowest ever attendance at the Madejski/SCL Stadium. I have no interest seeing us play some other team's kids

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 13 Nov 2023 15:31

Royal_jimmy This will probably be the lowest ever attendance at the Madejski/SCL Stadium. I have no interest seeing us play some other team's kids

There'll be a lot of Arsenal 'fans' who'll turn up to this one. Exeter had nearly double the attendance for their game against Arsenal U21s than they did against us; Northampton had a larger attendance for Chelsea U21s than they did against Oxford; Cambridge had a higher attendance for Tottenham U21s than Colchester; etc.

We're obviously not going to get the same attendance as we did against Swindon, but I can't see it being as low as the 1,561 we got against Leyton Orient in this competition back in 1999. I'll need to check the ticket website to see how low the attendance might be...

EDIT: It looks to be just over 2,000 sold for tomorrow night, including 510 in R32 (the Arsenal section). So it's on course to be our second lowest attendance at the Mad Stad, but noticeably higher than the worst.
Last edited by Clyde1998 on 13 Nov 2023 15:41, edited 2 times in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Nov 2023 15:39

Clyde1998
Royal_jimmy This will probably be the lowest ever attendance at the Madejski/SCL Stadium. I have no interest seeing us play some other team's kids

There'll be a lot of Arsenal 'fans' who'll turn up to this one. Exeter had nearly double the attendance for their game against Arsenal U21s than they did against us; Northampton had a larger attendance for Chelsea U21s than they did against Oxford; Cambridge had a higher attendance for Tottenham U21s than Colchester; etc.

We're obviously not going to get the same attendance as we did against Swindon, but I can't see it being as low as the 1,561 we got against Leyton Orient in this competition back in 1999. I'll need to check the ticket website to see how low the attendance might be...

I’d prob rather go this than a league game atm. But I’m not about anyway

As for a team, maybe something like this. Time to drop the beef with Holmes (and even maybe Ejaria if he’s in any condition)

Can Mbengue play this or last of his 3?

Perreira
Abrefa Holmes Mola Carson
Camara Craig Rushesha Ejaria
Mukairo Vickers

Ehibhatiomhan, Collins, Harris, Wellens, Stickland, NGW, Wareham/Jahmari

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Nov 2023 15:44

Hound
Clyde1998

As for a team, maybe something like this. Time to drop the beef with Holmes (and even maybe Ejaria if he’s in any condition)

Perreira
Mukairo Vickers

Think it would be seen as Mbengue's last game of the 3 game ban so he can also partake of the Wycombe debacle.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 13 Nov 2023 15:50

To quote what I said in the Shrewsbury thread about this game:
Clyde1998 A group of players will be unavailable due to internationals: Elliott (Cameroon), Savage (Wales U21), Abbey (England U20), Ballard (England U19) are all definitely away. Rushesha (Zimbabwe) and Tuma (Malta U21) was named in their nation's provisional squad. I don't believe Dorsett will be away this international break, as Montserrat don't appear to be playing.

As an update, Rushesha has been confirmed in the final Zimbabwe squad; Malta don't appear to have confirmed their final U21 squad yet.

Would've liked to have seen Elliott and Rushesha both start, but I'll have to stick with the team I suggested in the Shrewsbury thread personally:
Clyde1998 Pereira
Yiadom - Holmes - Dorsett - NGW
Wing - Craig - McIntyre (if fit)/Hutch
Knibbs - Ehib - Mukairu

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Nov 2023 15:51

Sutekh
Hound
Clyde1998 There'll be a lot of Arsenal 'fans' who'll turn up to this one. Exeter had nearly double the attendance for their game against Arsenal U21s than they did against us; Northampton had a larger attendance for Chelsea U21s than they did against Oxford; Cambridge had a higher attendance for Tottenham U21s than Colchester; etc.

Perreira
Mukairo Vickers

Think it would be seen as Mbengue's last game of the 3 game ban so he can also partake of the Wycombe debacle.

Didn’t Yiadom play in one when he was banned? Not sure the Tropy is linked?

Hound, are you Selles in disguise? Why would you choose to play Mola at CB (albeit he hasn't looked awful there against kids)?

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 13 Nov 2023 15:51

Sutekh
Hound
Clyde1998 There'll be a lot of Arsenal 'fans' who'll turn up to this one. Exeter had nearly double the attendance for their game against Arsenal U21s than they did against us; Northampton had a larger attendance for Chelsea U21s than they did against Oxford; Cambridge had a higher attendance for Tottenham U21s than Colchester; etc.

Perreira
Mukairo Vickers

I think the EFL Trophy is considered a separately for suspensions - so Mbengue's suspension wouldn't count for this game (he'll be avaliable for this one, but not Wycombe unfortunately).

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Nov 2023 15:55

Snowflake Royal
Sutekh
Hound

Perreira
Mukairo Vickers

Hound, are you Selles in disguise? Why would you choose to play Mola at CB (albeit he hasn't looked awful there against kids)?

Just to try to get him a game in really but yeah it didn’t sound like he was awful when he played a bit there (was it vs Swindon?)

If Rushesha is away then shove him there maybe, see if he resembles a footballer in any way in midfield

If Mbengue can play then he would be there at Cb . Mbengue a pain in the backside, if he had any sense he should be way above the level of this division. Him and Holmes or preferably TMc could be a thoroughly decent CB pairing. Or him and Abbey (but again both error prone)

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 13 Nov 2023 15:59

I know this is only against their under 21s, but if we win this one will it count as finally breaking the Arsenal hoodoo? Hopefully, if we go 4 goals up we’ll be able to hang on for the win.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Nov 2023 16:01

blythspartan I know this is only against their under 21s, but if we win this one will it count as finally breaking the Arsenal hoodoo? Hopefully, if we go 4 goals up we’ll be able to hang on for the win.

Well if there’s any team you bank on to bottle a 4 goal lead it’s probably us

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Nov 2023 16:41

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Sutekh

Just to try to get him a game in really but yeah it didn’t sound like he was awful when he played a bit there (was it vs Swindon?)

If Rushesha is away then shove him there maybe, see if he resembles a footballer in any way in midfield

If Mbengue can play then he would be there at Cb . Mbengue a pain in the backside, if he had any sense he should be way above the level of this division. Him and Holmes or preferably TMc could be a thoroughly decent CB pairing. Or him and Abbey (but again both error prone)

Aye

He's a bit firey.

What about this for the future:

..........................Button
......Mbengue, McIntyre, Abbey
Yiadom/Abrefa....................NGW/Carson
................Craig, Wing, Savage
...................KelvE......Smith

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Nov 2023 16:49

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Snowflake Royal Didn’t Yiadom play in one when he was banned? Not sure the Tropy is linked?

Aye

He's a bit firey.

Yeah I mean it’s a decent looking line up. Still can’t quite believe we are ten points from safety in L1…

I mean I was never a huge fan of Holmes but he is surely good enough to be top end L1

The talent and ability is there I’m sure of it. So frustrating

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Nov 2023 16:53

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Hound

Aye

He's a bit firey.

Yeah I mean it’s a decent looking line up. Still can’t quite believe we are ten points from safety in L1…

I mean I was never a huge fan of Holmes but he is surely good enough to be top end L1

The talent and ability is there I’m sure of it. So frustrating

Yeah. I think he's got what it takes for the Championship, he's just been ruined at the moment.

And if I want 3 CBs I want pacey ones either side with a steady eddie in the middle who can step forward if needed. Which doesn't really suit Holmes as well as McIntyre.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 13 Nov 2023 17:33

blythspartan I know this is only against their under 21s, but if we win this one will it count as finally breaking the Arsenal hoodoo? Hopefully, if we go 4 goals up we’ll be able to hang on for the win.

BANTER INCOMING
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsjvEHaDJKE

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Nov 2023 18:05

No Holmes, Abrefa, Wareham or Jahmari in then u21 tonight - so assume they are in line for tomorrow (or injured)

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 14 Nov 2023 11:03

Clyde1998

EDIT: It looks to be just over 2,000 sold for tomorrow night, including 510 in R32 (the Arsenal section). So it's on course to be our second lowest attendance at the Mad Stad, but noticeably higher than the worst.

As an update, it appears we're at just under 2,600 sold now (including ~560 in the Arsenal section) - which means it's possible we'll exceed our second lowest Mad Stad attendance tonight.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 14 Nov 2023 11:12

Don't suppose you've got a Top 10 lowest attendances? You provide that, I'll play this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0PiVpHvXd0, we're all good.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Nov 2023 11:16

All time lowest must be sub-1000 in the EP days - am sure I went to a Leyland DAF game against Brighton on a rainy midweek where the crowd was around 850.

168 posts