MATCHWATCH : Wycombe Wanderers (a)

150 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Wycombe Wanderers (a)

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Nov 2023 11:10

I was pleased for everyone yesterday, glad to finally get a result on the road and some solid performances all around. Craig looked assured with Wing next to him and that was Azeez's best game in a long while as well.

Smith seemed a big miss at the start of the season, consistently getting goals for us now. I thought Abbey and Binden both played really well together, still not sure our LB situation is truly resolved yet. Tried several different players there but to no avail (although chopping and changing every game or two likely doesn't help either).

Overall though, really pleased for the team. It must be backed up with a victory against Carlisle though and maybe then there is some hope.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 26 Nov 2023 12:03

Huge win. Was concerned we were heading for another Shrewsbury episode with the missed chances we had and Wycombe pressing towards the end. Wycombe, much like Shrewsbury, didn't really offer much throughout the game.

We're starting to look like a side who knows what we're doing, while the understanding between players has improved.

In all competitions, we're starting to put a decent run together - W3, D1, L1. We still need to get a win against Carlisle on Tuesday and if we can follow that up with a win at Eastleigh, all of a sudden the players should be full of confidence for our December matches which I think we define the second half of our season.

The only real downside was the injury to Ballard - hopefully it's nothing too serious and he can get back playing again quickly.

Relegation chance: 66% -> 52%

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 26 Nov 2023 12:28

Greatwesternline
St Pauli Can someone bump the Selles In thread?

Can’t access the back pages on this browser

Maybe Andrew1957 could on his Facebook browser. Karma

That was Frimmers who had the issue with the image sizing, not Andrew.

And the back page links work sometimes but not other times, so it’s really one of the many problems with the board interface, not the safari browser.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 26 Nov 2023 12:54

Clyde1998 Huge win. Was concerned we were heading for another Shrewsbury episode with the missed chances we had and Wycombe pressing towards the end. Wycombe, much like Shrewsbury, didn't really offer much throughout the game.

We're starting to look like a side who knows what we're doing, while the understanding between players has improved.

In all competitions, we're starting to put a decent run together - W3, D1, L1. We still need to get a win against Carlisle on Tuesday and if we can follow that up with a win at Eastleigh, all of a sudden the players should be full of confidence for our December matches which I think we define the second half of our season.

The only real downside was the injury to Ballard - hopefully it's nothing too serious and he can get back playing again quickly.

The thing is Wycombe are a decent team at this level and are usually up there competing for the playoffs, so to go there and win is a fantastic result. Shame we were so poor to throw Shrewsbury away which we should have won otherwise we'd be 4 points off safety and potentially 1 point if we win Tuesday.

I still fancy us to survive, although we need to get rid of Selles' and get the ownership sorted. There's enough quality in our team and games to keep us out of league 2.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Nov 2023 13:02

Lightwater's scores look very high to me. We got the result, we played better, but we weren't particularly good.

Button - 6 kicking is consistently poor, several went straight into the stands plus a few straight through to their keeper. Not a lot to do.

Yiadom - 7 good game, got forwarded and derended well. No braindead moments.

Bindon - 6 distribution poor, like Button put several long passes straight into touch. Could have a big future but I wouldn't play him alongside Abbey yet.

Abbey - 7 Got everything right, Wycombe didn't really threaten a lot.

Dorsett - 7 strong defensively, but not so good going forward, in other words what we need right now, but not a long term LB

Craig - 8 one turn into trouble but otherwise looks really in control. Closes, tackles, shields, simple passes. Lovely stuff.

Wing - 8 heart of all our good work going forward. Great engine.

Azeez - 8 set up both goals, he's been a threat all seasom but it hadn't really come.off, hopefully that will lift him.

Ballard - 7 he's often in the right place, very positive, looked a bad injury. Hope it's just a painful one that he cam recover from quickly, but I think that's the last we've seen of him.

Knibbs - 6 still doesn’t do enough for me, but more involved in the middle. Didn’t look they knew where each other would be in that shape, which begs the question what does Selles do all week in training.

Smith - 7 a lot didn't seem to go his way and the link up between the front 4 wasn't great. But he works defences hard and you can't argue with his current scoring record. He's streaky though.

Subs:
Mukairu - 6 he was involved a lot, but I'm just not impressed with him.

Mbengue - 7 did well, would like to see him play alongside Abbey at CB.

Savage - 6 did fine, but why Selles put him RW and left Knibbs in the centre is beyond me. We lost a fair amount of width from then.

Carson - 6 did fine

Team - 6 much room for improvement but they held on. Thankfully Wycombe couldn’t capitalise on any mistakes. Finishing was poor, two fortuitous goals and a bunch of tame shots. Way too much hoof ball. With Wing, Craig and Knibbs we should be able to pass through the pitch.

Selles - 5 finally starting to do what the fans could see 10 - 12 games ago and change up the shape, but he's still a moron who needs to go.

Fans - 1111/10 to have so many still going away, after so many defeats and years of shit, is fan-tastic. Well done, bet that felt oxf*rd good.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 26 Nov 2023 13:07

That was pretty tense but also a solid away win. The difference in attitude at the end, compared with Shrewsbury, very noticeable. The ludicrously taken throw-in helped.

I think we've seen some real development of the squad. Dorsett is a good left back, Craig and Wing the better options in midfield. Formation looked like 4-2-3-1, and it broadly worked.

What was good to see was the players response to the win. They wanted that. A real collective release of energy at the end, lovely stuff.

Not going to be easy but get a few wins, with a busy Christmas period incoming, and we are back in the fight.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 26 Nov 2023 13:13

Royal_jimmy
Clyde1998 Huge win. Was concerned we were heading for another Shrewsbury episode with the missed chances we had and Wycombe pressing towards the end. Wycombe, much like Shrewsbury, didn't really offer much throughout the game.

The thing is Wycombe are a decent team at this level and are usually up there competing for the playoffs, so to go there and win is a fantastic result. Shame we were so poor to throw Shrewsbury away which we should have won otherwise we'd be 4 points off safety and potentially 1 point if we win Tuesday.

I still fancy us to survive, although we need to get rid of Selles' and get the ownership sorted. There's enough quality in our team and games to keep us out of league 2.

We've looked better since moving to the 4-5-1/4-3-3/4-2-3-1 formation; the five minutes of madness at Shrewsbury came upon changing the shape. Right now, I think we'll get out of the relegation picture with the team we've got - especially after seeing how poor the sides around us are. Our poor results have primarily come through errors, as opposed to poor performances or having poor players IMO. We just need to keep getting points on the board.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Nov 2023 13:19

Clyde1998
Royal_jimmy

We've looked better since moving to the 4-5-1/4-3-3/4-2-3-1 formation; the five minutes of madness at Shrewsbury came upon changing the shape. Right now, I think we'll get out of the relegation picture with the team we've got - especially after seeing how poor the sides around us are. Our poor results have primarily come through errors, as opposed to poor performances or having poor players IMO. We just need to keep getting points on the board.

It's almost like we'd be mid-table if USelles hadn't screwed the pooch with 4-2-2-2

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 26 Nov 2023 14:35

Royal_jimmy

Most of the season, we've competed well and been let down by key moments and bad game management, but I'd say even more so since Selles ditched 4-2-2-2 for 4-1-4-1. Smith carries a real goal threat at this level and we don't look like conceding every time the opposition attack.

Pompey was a good performance against the league leaders. Bristol Rovers was disappointing, and then I still maintain that Shrewsbury was a freak ending for which certain players need to take responsibility (Yiadom trying to pump a ball over the top in injury time instead of keeping the ball).

I think we’re good enough to go on a decent run and pull ourselves away. Tuesday is massive though. Fail to win and all momentum is gone. Draw not good enough.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 26 Nov 2023 18:56

Royal_jimmy

Sitting with the Wycombe fans they say they aren't but the manager has done well. They have a small squad, injury problems, and no fit strikers, the youngster yesterday who came on hasn't played for 18 months as he couldn't get a contract anywhere. We ground out a win despite Selles trying to throw it all way by play Savage wide out right and looking likehe was lost. A better team would have torn us to pieces down that side. They made McCleary look he was like 25 again. It was a good win but I'm still none the wiser what our tactics are (tippy happy and the back and then hoof), or what goes through Selles mind in his organisation and substitutions.

150 posts