MATCHWATCH : Carlisle United (h)

233 posts
WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Carlisle United (h)

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Nov 2023 11:39

YorkshireRoyal99
Hound I’m not convinced we are playing a whole lot better than earlier in the season - there were games like Bolton, Stevenage - even some of the away games - when we played pretty well at times

Think there are a few factors which will hopefully continue working in our favour though and have made a difference . Mainly

Wing and Smith being fit and playing regularly
Knibbs more central
More defensive and solid LB in Dorsett
The likes of Azeez, Binden, Abbey having good runs in the side and improving as a result with experience
More consistency in selection

Yeah this was my thought process as well, I don't think we were that far away really, mentioned fine margins earlier, but not just that, there just seemed to be a few little things to tweak really. The defensive solidarity at LB has helped and I think Smith and Wing coming back fit as well has helped, they improve our level massively in the spine of our team and are reliable, experienced pro's at this level.

Even looking back at some of our results during a bad spell, we were only really get edged out most of the time in games (bar Charlton) and even when looking at the Fleetwood game, they changed manager recently which can result in a bounce.

Even in those, we were well in the Charlton game until it was 2-0. And against Fleetwood, Savage was a millimeter away from giving us a late lead.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Nov 2023 11:42

WestYorksRoyal
YorkshireRoyal99
Hound I’m not convinced we are playing a whole lot better than earlier in the season - there were games like Bolton, Stevenage - even some of the away games - when we played pretty well at times

Think there are a few factors which will hopefully continue working in our favour though and have made a difference . Mainly

Knibbs more central
The likes of Azeez, Binden, Abbey having good runs in the side and improving as a result with experience

Yeah this was my thought process as well, I don't think we were that far away really, mentioned fine margins earlier, but not just that, there just seemed to be a few little things to tweak really. The defensive solidarity at LB has helped and I think Smith and Wing coming back fit as well has helped, they improve our level massively in the spine of our team and are reliable, experienced pro's at this level.

Even looking back at some of our results during a bad spell, we were only really get edged out most of the time in games (bar Charlton) and even when looking at the Fleetwood game, they changed manager recently which can result in a bounce.

Even in those, we were well in the Charlton game until it was 2-0. And against Fleetwood, Savage was a millimeter away from giving us a late lead.

Yep and Dean put a free header inches wide about a minute before they scored their second

Charlton we were the better team first half by most accounts

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 29 Nov 2023 11:42

Couple of gifted goals, couple of real quality. Fingers crossed we are now seeing some consistency and heads don't drop after our next loss (whenever it comes).

Glad to see Femi score of course, clearly meant a ton to him.

Seem to be getting some regular goal threat from Smith, Knibbs and Wing too, good to see.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Nov 2023 11:47

Conceding instant equalisers in our last 2 games is annoying, but we have responded well on both occasions compared with times this series where we have capitulated. I would still rather not concede immediately after scoring, obviously.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 29 Nov 2023 12:04

I thought Dorsett did well at LB last night. We have mostly struggled with this position over the years, but I wondered whether anyone with more football knowledge than me feels he could be the long term solution?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Nov 2023 12:34

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal Yeah also 100%.

Biggest factor for me is USelles abandoning his god awful computer game formation.

Defence is much improved because the full backs are more often in position and getting more support.

We're better going forward because we have natural width and aren't just playing in two straight tramlines forward. We're mixing up direct and passing... although a bit too direct at the moment.

It's a whole host of things, many of which were obvious for a long time.

It was obvious, but in his defence I think Smith is the only player capable of the lone striker role. I like Ehibatioman as a young prospect, but he's not ready for such a big role and his style is more languid and less suited to chasing lost causes and pressing. The system change was only possible through Smith's return.

If anything happens to Smith or Wing, so can wave this mini revival goodbye. They should both be on the bench at most for the coming 2 Cup games.

Don't particularly agree. Kelv would be a better focal point and hold up striker. Different way of doing the same thing.

And this is far from the only solution. There were certainly alternatives with two up front.

Plus Smith has started 7 games now. USelles only started changing the formation and style about 4 games ago, and 4-2-3-1 has been basically just the last 2.

I agree 4-2-2-2 was basically indefensible. But it's hard to overstate how important it is having Smith back in my view. You almost need to be a better team than we are to utilise Ehibhatiomhan effectively; you need a gameplan to get the ball up the pitch and into his feet, and then he's effective. By contrast, Smith can turn a hopeful long ball or clearance into the start of an attack and relieve pressure if we're under the cosh. It's no coincidence that we saw out Wycombe with him on and lost at Shrewton with him subbed off.

It looks like we're landing upon a system that works right now, but I think we lose that immediately if we lose Smith. He's a massive player for us who's absence would require a tactical rethink.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Nov 2023 12:41

blythspartan I thought Dorsett did well at LB last night. We have mostly struggled with this position over the years, but I wondered whether anyone with more football knowledge than me feels he could be the long term solution?

I don't think any of our CB are a long term option but he's ok defensively and has a bit of pace so now our FBs are not relied on to provide the width going forward, it's playing more to his strengths. Just wonder where it leaves NGW and Mola.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Nov 2023 12:46

From Despair To Where?
blythspartan I thought Dorsett did well at LB last night. We have mostly struggled with this position over the years, but I wondered whether anyone with more football knowledge than me feels he could be the long term solution?

I don't think any of our CB are a long term option but he's ok defensively and has a bit of pace so now our FBs are not relied on to provide the width going forward, it's playing more to his strengths. Just wonder where it leaves NGW and Mola.

Think Mola will just be written off as a mistake. NGW been a bit unfortunate but his performances this season haven’t been great

Dorsett is young and still learning. Don’t see why he can’t keep the job for this season, he has done well so far

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 29 Nov 2023 12:46

I'd totally forgotten about Mola!

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 29 Nov 2023 12:49

I like Dorsett - he's a strong, fast, steady left back. More tellingly, in the games I've watched with him in the side, we've played better and looked more solid.

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 29 Nov 2023 12:55

stealthpapes I like Dorsett - he's a strong, fast, steady left back. More tellingly, in the games I've watched with him in the side, we've played better and looked more solid.

Speed and strength probably the two most important attributes for a L1 FB imo.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Nov 2023 13:05

MouldyRoyal
stealthpapes I like Dorsett - he's a strong, fast, steady left back. More tellingly, in the games I've watched with him in the side, we've played better and looked more solid.

Speed and strength probably the two most important attributes for a L1 FB imo.

Yeah I like him. Feels sometimes less noise about him than other academy graduates but he’s had 2 solid seasons before this in men’s football. Esp at Rochdale

Nice to see him doing well

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Nov 2023 13:15

Knibbs more central

Oh, we're not playing a lot better. Which is why I expect this to be a false dawn.

But we're giving ourselves a chance.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Nov 2023 13:19

From Despair To Where?

Agree.

NGW could slot back into a team in form and playing well.

Carson is the long term future, so the more minutes he gets here and there now, the sooner he'll be able to take over next season.

Mola is just surplus to requirements. Although he's ok at CB in the Trophy against kids. To be fair to him, he may actually be ok when not playing in an impossibly bad system. But I don’t see him getting much of a look in.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Nov 2023 13:23

3points I'd totally forgotten about Mola!

He did alright when he came on against Arsenal U21's - wouldn't surprise me to see him get minutes in the cup games as you don't come through at Chelsea and move to a club like Stuttgart without having something about you but does look like one of those players that will come and go without you really remembering him.

Then you watch a random FA Cup 1st round tie in 3 years time and he is playing CB for Enfield.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Nov 2023 13:27

Snowflake Royal

Knibbs more central

Oh, we're not playing a lot better. Which is why I expect this to be a false dawn.

Though tbf don’t think we were necessarily playing awfully before. Certainly overall performances were better than results. Just major errors at both ends of the pitch. More maturity and mentality than inability imo

BarryWhiteRFC

by BarryWhiteRFC » 29 Nov 2023 13:37

Hound
Snowflake Royal

Knibbs more central

Though tbf don’t think we were necessarily playing awfully before. Certainly overall performances were better than results. Just major errors at both ends of the pitch. More maturity and mentality than inability imo

^This

I thought we were better than results suggested and had a lot of the luck go against us. I know you make your own luck, etc etc, but it did seem very lopsided.

I'd also like to see Vickers get more game time.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Nov 2023 13:42

I'm getting carried away when I know I shouldn't, but if they do get themselves out of trouble it would be huge for this bunch of players. The likes of Abbey, Bindon and Craig would have played a huge part in turning the club around from its lowest moment. What challenges would phase them in the future?

But we've got a long way to go yet.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Nov 2023 13:52

WestYorksRoyal I'm getting carried away when I know I shouldn't, but if they do get themselves out of trouble it would be huge for this bunch of players. The likes of Abbey, Bindon and Craig would have played a huge part in turning the club around from its lowest moment. What challenges would phase them in the future?

But we've got a long way to go yet.

You would hope that his is part of the man management messaging getting across to the players. If you can turn this club around on the pitch from its lowest ebb whilst there are troubles off the pitch, then wherever you go in your career that achievement will stay with you.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Nov 2023 14:08

With much the same squad next season and all the experience.this one will bring, a stable owner and a good manager, no reason we couldn’t be top 4.

We have to stay up this season and sort out owner and manager though.

233 posts