233 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Carlisle United (h)

by Sutekh » 25 Nov 2023 18:01

When : Tuesday November 28, 8pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Can the miracle winning run be extended? Can Reading add to their first league win on the road in over a year and smash the Cumbrians at the SCL and make it 6 points out of 6 :shock: - all is to be revealed....

Carlisle aren't very good but then Fleetwood and Shrewsbury aren't much cop either and they collected 3 points fairly easily so we can be sure this won't be anything other that another difficult time on the pitch. The Cumbrians are in 22nd place in the third division and if Reading had a full pack of points then they could leap over Carlisle with a win (and even have a chance of getting out of the bottom 4) but a win will only move the Royals up to 23rd, and 2 points behind Carlisle, so long as Cheltenham come a cropper at Charlton.

Carlisle have drawn 1 and lost 3 of their last 4 league games, however their only away win was at Bolton so there is some nous and organisation about them despite their run of poor results. Joe Gardner and Joel Gibson are forming a very useful forward partnership having notched 8 goals between them so far. Jokull Andresson will miss the game for the Cumbrians (both through his loan deal terms and injury), Tom Holy is likely to deputise so that could be interesting for the local press if Vickers and Abbey manage to hit the net.

Reading will be without Ejaria (attitude), McIntyre (injured) and Ballard (injured and sadly early thoughts are he'll be out for a long time) but otherwise should have a full squad to select from.

Referee

Charles Breakspear

Previously

No previous games

Historically

Thankfully, given the distance apart, there have only been 10 league games between Reading and Carlisle United. Of all the league clubs, that are still in the league, that Reading have previously played league games against, Carlisle United is the club where it has been the longest gap between league games - 41.5 years (the last game played was a 2-2 draw at Elm Park on 8th May 1982).

Of the 5 games played in Reading there have been 3 home wins and 1 away win with Reading having scored twice as many as Carlisle (10 v 5).

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the game
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalsTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Carlisle United (h)

by WestYorksRoyal » 25 Nov 2023 18:18

Not sure who replaces Ballard, but otherwise no changes from today.

yuomi

by yuomi » 25 Nov 2023 18:22

Thought Mukairu looked good when he came on, hopefully his sub was just precautionary. Fingers crossed Ballard's injury isn't as bad as it looks, but I fear we may have seen the last of him. Presumably a straight swap w/ WiFi, otherwise bring Vickers straight into the starting xi.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 25 Nov 2023 18:36

If Ballard's injury is bad will he be returned to Southampton therefore freeing up a team space (Selles previously said we're at some limit)

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 25 Nov 2023 20:19

morganb If Ballard's injury is bad will he be returned to Southampton therefore freeing up a team space (Selles previously said we're at some limit)

Shame, i like Ballard, however, this has season ending all over it!! In which case if this free's up a loan move or space i would like to see a more seasoned experienced striker in to replace please, along the line of Jason Roberts or Jan Kermorgant.
Not saying we can land someone of their ability but there must still be a few experience strikers around looking for that last hurrah that has worked well for us in the past!!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Nov 2023 22:35

Let's face it, if we don’t beat 22nd Carlisle at home after wins against Arsenal U21s and a first league away win in over a year in a local derby, having drawn with Fleetwood at home and only beaten Cheltenham with an OG we might as well just concede a 3-0 defeat every game by not turning up because we'd be so guaranteed as down.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Nov 2023 22:37

Crowbar6753
morganb If Ballard's injury is bad will he be returned to Southampton therefore freeing up a team space (Selles previously said we're at some limit)

Shame, i like Ballard, however, this has season ending all over it!! In which case if this free's up a loan move or space i would like to see a more seasoned experienced striker in to replace please, along the line of Jason Roberts or Jan Kermorgant.
Not saying we can land someone of their ability but there must still be a few experience strikers around looking for that last hurrah that has worked well for us in the past!!

Yeah, you don't get carried off on a stretcher in a leg brace on oxygen/nitrous after zero contact without at least 6 months off.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Nov 2023 22:40

yuomi Thought Mukairu looked good when he came on, hopefully his sub was just precautionary. Fingers crossed Ballard's injury isn't as bad as it looks, but I fear we may have seen the last of him. Presumably a straight swap w/ WiFi, otherwise bring Vickers straight into the starting xi.

Wasn't impressed with Mukairu. Got involved tbf, but control, decisions and final ball ropey.

Don't think Kelvin fits playing wide left, or in the 10 link between midfield and attack. Elliott or Savage in with Knibbs left maybe.

Mukairu straight swap.

Vickers would be my preference for the position though

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 25 Nov 2023 23:09

Snowflake Royal Let's face it, if we don’t beat 22nd Carlisle at home after wins against Arsenal U21s and a first league away win in over a year in a local derby, having drawn with Fleetwood at home and only beaten Cheltenham with an OG we might as well just concede a 3-0 defeat every game by not turning up because we'd be so guaranteed as down.

We lost at home to Fleetwood.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Nov 2023 23:11

tidus_mi2
Snowflake Royal Let's face it, if we don’t beat 22nd Carlisle at home after wins against Arsenal U21s and a first league away win in over a year in a local derby, having drawn with Fleetwood at home and only beaten Cheltenham with an OG we might as well just concede a 3-0 defeat every game by not turning up because we'd be so guaranteed as down.

We lost at home to Fleetwood.

Forgive me. Drunk and mixed it up with the Rovers draw

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 26 Nov 2023 09:21

If any Carlisle fans going to this are reading this, I highly admire your efforts. Bloody long way to come to us on a Tuesday night!

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 26 Nov 2023 09:24

I fancy us to win this one although not expecting an easy game. Hope Vickers starts over Ballard.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Nov 2023 11:15

We've had several of these recently, but this one also has to go down as a must win to back us yesterday's result. I don't really want us to change too much that isn't enforced really. The midfield was good, we've got a good amount of threat going forwards and the defence was overall pretty solid. I know we play a lot of games, but for the sake of consistency surely we've got to try and keep it as similar as possible?

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 26 Nov 2023 13:00

Snowflake Royal
Crowbar6753

Yeah, you don't get carried off on a stretcher in a leg brace on oxygen/nitrous after zero contact without at least 6 months off.

Indeed. That could be his time with us over, as he might not be fit again until the end of the season. Real shame as he was starting to look comfortable in the wide forward role and the general demands of League One. Hopefully he'll see him again.

In the short term, I imagine Mukairu will come into the team on Tuesday, with Vickers on the bench. We don't need to make any other changes - unless someone like Dorsett is too fatigued to start.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Nov 2023 13:09

Clyde1998
Snowflake Royal
Crowbar6753

Indeed. That could be his time with us over, as he might not be fit again until the end of the season. Real shame as he was starting to look comfortable in the wide forward role and the general demands of League One. Hopefully he'll see him again.

In the short term, I imagine Mukairu will come into the team on Tuesday, with Vickers on the bench. We don't need to make any other changes - unless someone like Dorsett is too fatigued to start.

I feel like Ehibhatiomhan more than deserves some more starts.

What about:

Azeez...........Knibbs...........Smith
..............Ehibhatiomhan

:?:

Or switch Knibbs and Smith?

I'd definitely start Vickers ahead of Mukairu. He uses the ball so well. Him, Craig and Abbey I don't think age really matures, they're mature well beyond their years.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 26 Nov 2023 13:25

Clyde1998
Snowflake Royal
Crowbar6753

Thought Mukairu was pants yesterday apart from one lovely ball out to Azeez i think it was. Hope he doesn’t start tomorrow- i would play Vickers or Wifi or even Savage.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 26 Nov 2023 14:28

Clyde1998
Snowflake Royal
Crowbar6753

Very sad for him; he was looking good and was on track for a 10-15 goal season in my view. Selfishly, if we are to have a season ending injury in the squad, let it be a loanee. I think we’re at the limits of our squad, but we can send him back to Soton and hopefully get a replacement in January.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 26 Nov 2023 14:45

WestYorksRoyal
Clyde1998
Snowflake Royal Yeah, you don't get carried off on a stretcher in a leg brace on oxygen/nitrous after zero contact without at least 6 months off.

Very sad for him; he was looking good and was on track for a 10-15 goal season in my view. Selfishly, if we are to have a season ending injury in the squad, let it be a loanee. I think we’re at the limits of our squad, but we can send him back to Soton and hopefully get a replacement in January.

Agreed. I hope this injury doesn't impact his development too much, as I think he'll become a good player in the future from what I've seen of him. I agree he probably would've got double figures this season given enough game time.

As you say, selfishly it's better it was a loanee that's got a serious injury than one of our players - although I'm sure we'd all rather no player got a serious injury. I'd think Southampton would want him back at the first opportunity (ie. January), if it is a season-ending injury, so they can properly focus on his recovery and ease him back into playing football at the appropriate level. That would also allow us the ability to get someone else in; we may have more options if the takeover has happened by January.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Nov 2023 15:40

Snowflake Royal
Clyde1998
Snowflake Royal Yeah, you don't get carried off on a stretcher in a leg brace on oxygen/nitrous after zero contact without at least 6 months off.

I feel like Ehibhatiomhan more than deserves some more starts.

What about:

Azeez...........Knibbs...........Smith
..............Ehibhatiomhan

:?:

Or switch Knibbs and Smith?

I'd definitely start Vickers ahead of Mukairu. He uses the ball so well. Him, Craig and Abbey I don't think age really matures, they're mature well beyond their years.

Why would we want to move out CF who has scored in his last 4 games and spearheads our attack very well to accommodate another player? At the moment, Smith is the last player I'd move.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 26 Nov 2023 15:50

Who replaces Ballard is a tough call, especially if Mukairu isn't available. I think Knibbs' best position is behind the striker, it's where he played for Cambridge and I think he has been effective if unflashy since we moved him there. Vickers & Elliott are both very talented, but quite lightweight and I'm not sure whether we can trust them to do the tracking back, which Ballard was doing a good job at. Savage out of position is an option, but he would be a player out of position. A left field choice in both senses of the word could be Carson or NGW pushed forward, both of whom are decent going forward and suspect defensively. It would really give us solidity down the left. Or we could go more of a traditional 4-3-3 with Savage & Wing as two no. 8s, and Knibbs in a wide role.

I would go with Vickers, but it is a different role to the 2nd striker / attacking midfielder role he has flourished in. Now that Selles has (rightfully) ditched 4-2-2-2, we don't have a lot of wide options. Vickers, Elliott and Knibbs are all better in the middle in my view.

233 posts